General Discussion Race Reports! » 19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
MultiRace.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 34s
Overall Rank = 136/378
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

The "19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon" was other Event organized for the people of MultiRace.com and it's part of the Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Series and took place in Tradewinds Park, in Coconut Creek, FL holding a Duathlon and Triathlon at the same time...with 128 participants racing the Duathlons and 378 participants racing the Triathlon...

The Week prior the Race...We were in Pensacola, FL and and We didn't have the chance to train except for one run and one OWS...and...We came back to home the Wednesday before the Race...a 12 hours drive trip...Ufffff!!!...and...the 2 next days before the Race were for recovery and easy train...

We couldn't go to pick-up our Race Packages on Friday cuz the Bike store was in Ft. Lauderdale...too far for us...and...We decided to pick-up the same day of the Race...

Friday July 3rd:
It was weird for me to race on Saturday...all our Races usually are on Sunday...and...the day before a Race is a Mandatory Day Off for me...but...even the circunstances and also we had a relaxing week...I decided to move and shake legs that day after my work with the horses...managing an easy 10.50 miles bike ride followed for an easy 1 mile run...only to practice my fast transition...

That morning I wiped, lubed and tuned my bike...changed wheels for the Race Wheels...prepared/packed all my Race stuff...and...prepared my beverages for the Race...

For lunch got my carbo load...a good lasagna...and...took an 1 hour nap...

Got an early dinner: grilled salmon...yellow rice and steams veggies...

Loaded our bikes and bags with our Race stuff into the car...and...went to sleep at 9:00 pm...

Saturday July 4th:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...Got dressed...Took my usual Pre-Race breakfast...my OJ and my usual Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) with my package of Multivitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q-10...
Took our coolers with bevrages and leave from home around 4:45 am...and...took us about 1:10 minutes to get at Tradewinds Park...a long line at the entrance but moving fast...parked car...took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to pick-up our Race Packages, Bid#s, 2 timming chips (new system), body marked and placed our bikes in our respective racks in Transition Area...

My Buddy got the Bid# 165 / yellow cap and for me the Bid# 153 / gold cap...supposed to be white cap but that color rans out and they had to give us gold cap...first time that I get that color...a new color for me...LOL

Set up all my stuff like usual...but this time...I put the green towel next to my bike over the grass...my bike was the last one in the rack...over the towel...my biking/running shoes...a bottle with frozen water...and...my belt with Bid# and a small ziploc with 2 Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped...
Helmet over the seat and suglasses over the handlebar...and...my Speedfill Hydration System in it's respective cage with a mix of water/Cytromax...

Checked Bike Exit and Swim Entrance...

Took an Accel Gel and 2 endurolytes with water and Cytromax...took my gold swimming cap, goggles and wax ear-plugs and headed to the lake...
Event warmup:

Jumped into the lake in the Swim Exit and swam in opposite direction of the swim course till the Start...it was a nice warm-up...400 mts along shore...when...I got to the other side of the lake I notice there were a lot of weeds...Yikes...!!! The water was too warm...maybe...in 84oF...a big bowl with chicken soup with noodles...LOL

Got out the water and met with my Buddy and some friends till the Race started...in time like usual...at 6:45 am

This time they started the Duathlon in mass at the same time the1st Wave of the Triathlon with the Pro-Elite Male and Female...and the rest of the Waves at 7:00 am, every 5 minutes...there were in total 6 Waves...my Buddy was in the Wave #3 Males 40+ at 7:05 am and me in the Wave #5 Female 40+, Athena and Female Fat Tire...at 7:15 am

Swim
  • 09m 7s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here is the Swimming Course:

Swimming Course

The swimming time includes the run from the Swim Exit till the Entrance of Transition...
Just when the guy gave us green light to start...jumped into the water and started with my usual constante stroke...drafting in some occasions...but...just when we got in the middle of the lake...we had a massive attack of tons of weeds...WTH???...it was like we were entering into a cave full of spiderwebs...or worse...LOL...and...we had to fight against this long weeds...it was very difficult to swim with all these weeds all over us...all over our faces head, arms, legs...Uffff!!! A new and non usual adventure in our swimming leg...LOL
Got shore and I notice that I was just behind of Lauren Fuchs a very fast woman in my Age Group...and...I ran very fast reaching/passing her and at the same time removing my goggles, swim caps and wax ear-plugs and put them inside my cap...
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more...
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

When I got at the Entrance of Transition...I saw my good girlfriend Julie Carson and that was already in her rack area almost ready to leave and other friend Nadia Fogel too...and I said to me..."they usually get out of the water after me...but not this time"...and...I started to push more harder... I knew at this point that it would be very hard for me to reach Julie in the bike...cuz...she is usually one of the fastest biker in our Age Group...but...this time...she was the 2nd fastest...and...she took off....

It was other fast transition even I was the 2nd fastest in my AG and 68th Overall...

Put helmet and biking shoes at the same time...took my bike...and ran out of Transition till the desmount/mount area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 30m 58s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is the Biking Course:

Bike Course

It was a nice/fast bike ride like usual...I know very well this bike course and my bike too...it's like I'm riding with an automatic pilot...LOL
At this point I only know that my girlfriend Julie and Nadia are in front of me and Lauren Fuchs is coming behind me...till the 2nd lap when she reached/passed me...and...I started to push more and more...till I got in the desmount area...doing like usual...like the Pro-Elites but keeping shoes on...jumped from my bike and ran very fast to Transition...

Train and train...
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Just when I got in my rack area...WTH??? somebody put a CERVELO Bike in my spot and no space for my bike...I don't care if it's a CERVELO...but...why in my spot??? Grrrrrrrrrrrr...!!!
I pushed the bike very hard that almost all the rack did fall...LOL...placed my bike...changed my shoes...removed helmet...and...took my hat...and ran fast out out of Transition...but...forgot my usual bottle of water...Yikes...!!!!

Even the circunstances...I was the 3rd fastest in my AG and 157th Overall...but...costed me a valuable time...and...maybe the 2nd place...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 19m 24s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the Run Course:

Run Course

Just out of Transition...knowing that I forgot my bottle of water...decided to take two cups of water from the water station next to the Entrance...with my Endurolytes...and...running with a constante pace...not too fast and not too slow...put my belt with Bid# and hat...and...started to push more harder...at this point I only know that there are 3 women in front of me...Lauren, Julie and Nadia...I reached/passed my girlfriend Julie just before the mile 1...and then...I know that my next target is Nadia Fogel...reaching/passing her just before the mile 2...when...I started to sprint super-fast till the Finish Line...

Train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just in the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water and other one removed my 2 timming chips from my ankles...
By my surprise in the crowd...I saw a very familiar face...a good friend and rival Helen Varble...and...I said to me..."WTH...I didn't know that she was racing...!!!"...cuz...I usually reach/pass her during the run leg...she is actually the fastest bike rider in our AG...and...she came to me to Congratulate me like usual...and...she said to me joking " Looks like you couldn't pass me this time"...and...I said to her "I didn't know that You were racing" LOL

Met with my Buddy at the food area and took some slices of orange and then We went to collect/pack all our Race stuff in Transition Area...took our bikes, bags and coolers to our car...

Photobucket

Then we went to the Baseball fields where there is a hose and we washed and rinsed our bodies with Body Wash...Nice!!!

Went to check results and I got 3rd place in my AG and my Buddy got 4th place in his AG

Age Group: 3rd / 12

Female Overall : 20th / 133

Overall: 136th / 378

Total Time: 1h 01m 34s

Here in the Award Ceremony...

My Buddy:
Photobucket

And me:
Photobucket

And our Awards:

Photobucket

And here more pictures in action:

http://eventpictures.com/app/event/searchPicture?eventInstanceId=16...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was still tired from our trip to Pensacola... 12 hours car trip is too much...and...the circunstances in T2...made me lost a valuable time...

Event comments:

Other excellent and very organized Photobucket Event...

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:07 | 400 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 204/378
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:58 | 10 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 175/378
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:24 | 02.5 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 109/378
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-11 6:02 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: 19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon

2009-07-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2278495

User image

Key West
Subject: RE: 19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon
Well done Velo!  Even though you sound bummed about the finish a third place rocks.  Are they still looking for swimmers in the weeds?  As if you do not have enough bodies to deal with...now you have kelp.  Keep kicking.
2009-07-12 7:52 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
another podium!!!

wow - you are just a hardware machine!!!!
2009-07-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2279293

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

HeatmizerKW - 2009-07-12 2:55 PM Well done Velo!   Are they still looking for swimmers in the weeds?  As if you do not have enough bodies to deal with...now you have kelp.  Keep kicking.

Thanks...and...LOL

But...You know what was the real feeling about these Weeds...It was like we were swallowed for tons of them....LOL

2009-07-13 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2280322

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job as always.  Congrats on the podium.
2009-07-13 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
killer race...those women in your ag must be bummed when they see you in transition :-)

2009-07-15 12:30 AM

User image

Miami,FL
Wow velo way to go!!!! Congrats on the podium finish.
2009-07-16 9:49 AM

User image

You smoked all three disciplines!!  WOW!  I know the feeling of having a bike in your spot and it costing you.  I had a mountain bike in my spot at a Sprint last year, too!  And with a Sprint race 15 to 20 seconds is a lot of time lost!!  But whatever, it happens, right 

I just slide my bike into my minivan now too.  I hate having it hanging off the back.

Congrats on another Podium finish.  You ROCK SUPER-VELO!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 19th Annual 4th of July Duathlon/Triathlon Rss Feed