Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Island Triathlon ... City Strike .... ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-15 11:16 AM

Toronto
Subject: Toronto Island Triathlon ... City Strike .... ???
I have a feeling this event might be cancelled!

2009-07-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2286945

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon ... City Strike .... ???
No way, it will be settled by the 16th for sure!!

If it is cancelled though (but I don't think it will be) will they be issuing refunds or changing locations?
2009-07-15 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
I sure hope they don't!   Alot of people are working really hard to prepare for that date!
2009-07-15 3:51 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
I was just thinking about this this morning.  I wonder if they are still able to host it but they would be responsible for providing their own ferry/taxi service.  With all the bikes - taxi service could be a nightmare.  I guess in the event it's cxl'd Orillia would be an alternative.
2009-07-15 5:45 PM

Regular

I hope its not cancelled.  I didn't even think about the ferry service being affected by the strike.  Has anyone emailed Multisport to ask them if the strike is still on in mid August, what is the plan?

2009-07-16 7:49 AM

User image

Toronto
I suspect if it is in cancelled you may be granted some credits for future events. The entry fees generated are approximately 65k so I have a hard time seeing them refund that money. Lets just hope common sense prevails over greed and this strike is ended.

2009-07-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2288851

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
bermudarun - 2009-07-16 8:49 AM I suspect if it is in cancelled you may be granted some credits for future events. The entry fees generated are approximately 65k so I have a hard time seeing them refund that money. Lets just hope common sense prevails over greed and this strike is ended.

Here's hoping anyway. With a month still to go -- i am an optimist and I am hoping for an agreement ever day but there's always the possibility. I think it's very doubtful the race would be able to fund ferry service that would accommodate all of us and our gear ... I know I don't travel that light!
2009-07-21 1:13 PM

User image

I did the Toronto Island (try-a-tri) last year - and what the race event people said (last year) is that the race entry fee paid for the ferry service over and back for all racers. So, I don't see that there would necessarily be a funding problem for paying for ferry rides there and back for the racers. The problem would more possibly be access to the boats and drivers for those boats.

(I have my fingers crossed that the event is not cancelled - it is one of my favourite race sites. No hills!)
2009-07-21 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
I was just on the HSBC website checking out what I would switch to if it is cancelled. Coburg and Wasaga are not options for me, so it looks like it would be Lakeside II! I guess we'll write off the difference in the entry fee as tough luck?

Here's hoping they settle it soon - or get legislated back to work!
2009-07-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2299111

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
rlmurrant - 2009-07-21 2:13 PM I did the Toronto Island (try-a-tri) last year - and what the race event people said (last year) is that the race entry fee paid for the ferry service over and back for all racers. So, I don't see that there would necessarily be a funding problem for paying for ferry rides there and back for the racers. The problem would more possibly be access to the boats and drivers for those boats.

(I have my fingers crossed that the event is not cancelled - it is one of my favourite race sites. No hills!)

The city is using a much smaller boat than the usual ferries to get the island residents back and forth (saw it on the news) right now. It didn't look like it would be great for ferrying a few hundred people and all kinds of tri gear. Not sure of the schedule either.  
2009-07-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2299547

User image

Master
TORONTO

juniperjen - 2009-07-21 4:10 PM
rlmurrant - 2009-07-21 2:13 PM I did the Toronto Island (try-a-tri) last year - and what the race event people said (last year) is that the race entry fee paid for the ferry service over and back for all racers. So, I don't see that there would necessarily be a funding problem for paying for ferry rides there and back for the racers. The problem would more possibly be access to the boats and drivers for those boats.

The city is using a much smaller boat than the usual ferries to get the island residents back and forth (saw it on the news) right now. It didn't look like it would be great for ferrying a few hundred people and all kinds of tri gear. Not sure of the schedule either.  

I believe that the residents society commissioned that service - not paid for by the city.  I was at the TAT last year too and for some reason the ferries weren't following the schedule.  I remember waiting over a 1/2 hour for a ferry and by the time it arrived - there was a huge lineup and not everyone could get on.  It could become a major nightmare. 

I'm sort of keeping Orillia and Cobourg in mind as alternatives.  Would be a shame to work up to a good season and then only do one race!  Somersault hosts events as well.  Mostly in Ottawa but there's one in Brockville the same weekend as the Toronto Island.   Not sure where you (trisprintolympic) are located but if in the east - you might want to consider it.

2009-07-22 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I am tentatively considering Brockville as an alternate - I have a sister that lives there. so it could work out for me. It's just really far to go.
2009-07-24 11:34 AM

User image

I sent an inquiry to MultiSport to ask what their plan was for the race, this was the reply I received:

>>>>>
We are currently discussing the matter with the City of Toronto.

We have 3 potential procedures that will be posted on our website in the very near future.

-          Full refund for the race occurring at Toronto Island.
-          No charge transfer to a different race this year.
-          Hosting the Toronto Island event at a different location.
>>>>>

Hopefully the updates on are the website soon. (Or perhaps the city/striking workers could get over themselves and get everything back to 'normal'.)

2009-07-26 9:12 PM

User image

New user

I got this response from Sydney Bakker at the HSBC office on July 15th:

We do have a back-up plan to use our old race site at Cherry Beach if the strike persists through to race day.  We are highly confident that, being six weeks from our event, the strike will be resolved before race weekend in August.

Please look to our website in the next couple of weeks for further details.

Mike
2009-07-27 6:01 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Interesting!  I'm pretty sure the strike will still be in effect.  They are no where close to settling and the city is saving big bucks every day the strike continues.

The thing with Toronto Islands is that they don't do a very good job at keeping the tourists off the trail - so it can be harrowing at times while on the bike.  I wonder how they'll handle waterfront weekend traffic!  Also curious as to where they'll send us on the bike...?  If it's that little path it'll make for interesting passing.  If it's north to Lakeshore then we'll have to go over that bridge (I hate the feel of it under my tires).  And Cherry Beach swimming isn't as nice as Hanlan's Point that's for sure!

With only three weeks I'm thinking more and more I might just switch to another race. 
2009-07-27 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Have you already registered? I would switch, but I don't think I can since I've already registered. I'm just going to have to see what they offer us instead.

Where is Cherry Beach? Will it be available even if the workers remain on strike? I'm near Windsor where we just ended a 15-week municipal strike and all our parks/beaches are a disgusting mess. The strike is over now and they're still moving the Windsor tri to nearby Tecumseh.

2009-07-27 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2309454

User image

Master
TORONTO

trysprintolympic - 2009-07-27 7:46 AM Have you already registered? I would switch, but I don't think I can since I've already registered. I'm just going to have to see what they offer us instead.

Where is Cherry Beach? Will it be available even if the workers remain on strike? I'm near Windsor where we just ended a 15-week municipal strike and all our parks/beaches are a disgusting mess. The strike is over now and they're still moving the Windsor tri to nearby Tecumseh.

Yes I've registered but I'm thinking they'll let you move it to another race...?  I had to do that once before with a Somersault event and had no problems.

Cherry Beach is off the mainland:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Beach  Lots of windsurfers and beginner sailers like it because... um... it's windy!  So I would anticipate waves. 

Edited to add:
Ahhh they just announced after 35 days the strike is over by garbage workers and other outside workers.  Not sure if other workers are affected by this... ie Ferry workers.  ?

Edited by kimmax 2009-07-27 8:17 AM
2009-07-28 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

I registered for the Tor Island Du today, now that the strike is over!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Island Triathlon ... City Strike .... ??? Rss Feed