Musselman Triathlon
70sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 07m 21s
Overall Rank = 452/700
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/40
Pre-race routine:

Up and down throughout the night. Wide awake at 3:08 a.m., up for good around 4:15. Had a PB and honey on whole wheat sandwich, banana, and coffee. Got to transition around 5:30.
Event warmup:

Just a quick swim to get the wetsuit warm.
Swim
  • 37m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was the choppiest I've had to swim in. I think I lost focus a little bit because of that. My sighting was just so-so, and I had to correct a couple of times, although not by too much. I didn't like that I couldn't see the swim finish until the very end.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay more focused.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

My wetsuit got stuck on my timing chip, but overall a good transition. As I was running out I realized I had forgotten my gel flask, but I had plenty of gels on the bike, and knew I could get some on the course if I needed them, so I kept going.

Swim with the gel flask.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 15 miles were very tough into a headwind. My avg. was only around 15 mph for those. Once I got of 96 it picked up quite a bit, and then I flew on 414 with a tailwind to make up a lot of time. I think the bike leg of the race has the most potential for improvement for me. I don't think I push myself as hard as I can.

Nutrition: 3 aero bottles of Nuun, plus 1/3 of water
Gels at 30', 1 hr, mini Clif bar at 1.5 hr, gel at 2, 2.5, and 3. Plus full pack of Shot Blocks in between gels. total calories ~ 700

Maybe push a little harder, esp. in the tailwind and flatter sections.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I did great at getting my feet out of the shoes before transition. WIll definitely do that again. I should practice at doing a flying dismount...maybe next year. I also put sunscreen on, and messed up by putting my race belt on in transition instead of running out with it.

Not put my race belt on until I'm running.
Run
  • 2h 12m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I totally underestimated how difficult this run course was. I also underestimated how difficult 13.1 miles after the swim and bike would be. I expected a challenge, but this was way tougher mentally and physically than anything I've done besides give birth (and with that you have a new person at the end!). I tried really hard to keep my HR in upper Z2 for the first half, which really decreased my pace. I was expecting to run 9:30 minute miles and ended up running 10:11...not too far off, but slower than I expected. The last 3 miles were incredibly difficult, my left ankle was hurting a bit, and I really had to focus inward to keep going. Quite an interesting run, especially on the mental side of things.

Nutrition: My plan was to take a shot of gel every 45 min. or so, but after the bike, I had no desire to eat another gel. I ended up taking one shot block every mile up to mile 10 and water at every aid station. Then I was feeling a little bit crampy in my legs and my face was super crusty, so I decided to take two Endurolytes even though I hadn't trained with them, water and defizzed coke at the 3rd to last aid station. Did the trick, and I stuck with Coke and water at the next two station.

This worked like a charm, and I would definitely race with this plan again.

During training I think I would do a few longer bricks. My longest was 30 min. run off a long bike. I would up this to an hour next time, and try to get 2-3 of those in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, took off my shoes, and got in the ice bath. Looked for Kel and the boys for about 20 minutes, had some pizza and water, and finally found them. Had a massage about 1.5 hours after finish...perfect.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics...no really, this was my first HIM, and I think the unknown limited me. Next time I would also train a little differently. I really need to work on my running and biking.

Event comments:

Loved, loved, loved this race. Great atmosphere, great volunteers, great organization. I would definitely return.

Last updated: 2009-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/40
Overall: 426/700
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrafull
Course: Waist deep start quite a ways from shore. Swim straight out, cut across parallel to shore, than into the canal and around to finish the point to point swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:42 | 56 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/40
Overall: 474/700
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Figure 8 course, with some rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:12:28 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/40
Overall: 470/700
Course: Moderately hilly course. One killer hill on a gravel road. One short and steep hill with some stairs (killer).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2009-07-21 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2297511

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Congratulation on your first HIM.  You ran a good race.  Sounds like you did well with water and nutrition.  I was so happy to see the ice baths at the end although they were getting a little  groady. 

Now up to the next level 140.6
2009-07-22 4:41 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race!!! Nice job executing your plan for the race!!!

I had the same thoughts about the swim ending!  The last bit seemed to go on for ever!!!

2009-07-22 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Great job!  And interesting that the race was smaller than I expected with 700.

I think your time is great!  Heh, heh, anything under 7 hours seems phenomenal to me.  Sounds like you executed everything just about perfectly -- except for the gel flask. 

A few more of these and I see a 140.6 in your future :->

Edited by travljini 2009-07-22 6:42 AM
2009-07-22 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations on a FANTASTIC first HIM!!! You had a good training plan, you stuck to it, and it really paid off. You did everything well, and you should be really proud of your achievement.

I definitely agree that the run is very challenging mentally. However, I watched while all 3 of my kids were born, and lets just say that I will stick with HIM's
2009-07-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2301707

User image

Master
syracuse
great race kelly!!

sounds like you had a great time and pushed yourself until the end....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed