General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 03m
Overall Rank = 408/848
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 17/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and Theresa was not happy haha. Got a cup of coffee in me and also a yogurt drink. Got my stuff together and headed to the car. Got to the race about 5:10am. Went straight to my bike and started laying out the transition area. The nerves didnt hit me here at all. I was pretty calm, and talking with some buddies in my age group from school. ate about a half of a blueberry bagel and just got my area set up while talking with theresa and schmize. Tried to make sure i didnt change anything from my previous plans and races. really liked my area as i was on the outside which was so easy to spot from the big purple bike in the group ahead of mine. got everything good to go, took off with schmize and theresa to head towards the swim start at about 6:30is.
Event warmup:

I took the bike out for a quick spin up the hill to make sure everything was good to go. Also made sure i put it in a low gear to start off the hill climb right away. After the ride, racked the bike up and headed to the swim. Shot a gel about 25 minutes before start. After got to the swim, jumped in for about 5 minutes to warm up and make sure the suit and goggles were good to go. Stomach felt good and the gel was sitting fine! game time!
Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim started off great. Got out front and jockyed for position to get up front. Did that and took off around the first buoy. Dolphin diving was perfect to start off and get out there. After about the first 200 yards though i ran into a bunch of people thinking it would be fun to stand up and catch their breath. After about 200 yards off that crap, jumped to the outside to get away from them and get on my own. After that things went pretty good. I know that slowed me down a little bit but not too bad. Stroke felt good and everything was going smooth. I felt like i swam pretty straight and i didnt get clubbed much accept for one person that got me in the side of the head but wasnt too bad. just kept looking for that yellow buoy and when i did i took off and left it all out. Went good for the last buoy. Turned the buoy and swam about 30 yards before i was able to dolphin dive twice and start running. I looked at the watch and thought either holy crap im fast, or it was short. I went with the fast for some confidence boosters. Jumped out and saw parents holly and theresa and was feeling really good at this point.
What would you do differently?:

I would start off more in front to get away from the guys who feel like standing. other than that, just make sure stay on path and swim harder sooner before the final orange buoy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

This went great. I had a great position on the transition area. The only problem was getting my dang wetsuit off. Couldnt find the velcro right away. Didnt slow me down too much at all. Felt like ive been through this before, and it went to plan. Got up and out and had no one next to me during the transition.

Get my suit off faster, other than that, i still need to get the whole jump on bike think with cleats on bike!
Bike
  • 2h 36m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.45 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started off good. wanted to get my HR down for the first 40 min and pace myself. HR was coming down, but off the bat was avg about 20 mph. Legs were feeling great right away and the HR was coming down. Since they legs were good and HR was good, i just kept up the pace at where i was at. at about mile 10 my legs just got tight sore. kept stretching them out as much as i could but kept going along and knew it would leave it sooner or later. HR was down at about mile 18 where i wanted it to be, and was still avg about 20mph so decided to kick it up just a notch. saw the parents holly and theresa at mile 18ish and that was great. was feeling really good then and kept going on at the pace i was at. at this point was avg about 21.8 and didnt hit many hills at this point. mile 30 hit and started playing back and forth with a guy i knew from school so that made it fun. couple hills and wind made me come down to about a 21.5 mph. after about mile 45 and the help from seeing the fam again, i decided to leave it all out on the pavement and start heading to the finish. followed the nutrition plan to a T and everything was going good on the stomach part. quit taking anything at about mile 45 on the nutrition, just focused on cadence and keeping the mph at a good 22 cuz it was pretty flat the home stretch. the final 6 miles felt like the first 20, but i think it was the excitement that i was killing the bike at this point!

I wouldnt do much for the race part, i now know i need an upgrade in pedals and cleats, the feet were pretty uncomfortable and numb at about mile 49-50. Didnt like that, not a ton of stability in what i got, but money at the time of purchase of the bike made it affordable. oh well, still did 1.4 mph above what my goal was so not complaining!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

This went as good as the first transition. jumped off the bike great and legs were feeling good on the run to rack the bike. racked the bike and saw theresa next to me for some great support. bike was racked and the shoes were on. grabbed the visor and looked down for a second, and was good to go.

Nothing here, this went about as perfect as it could have for this one!
Run
  • 1h 54m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off great. Got the HR down for the first 3or4 miles and the legs were feeling decent at this point. was at about a 8'30 or below avg at this point. grabbed some water at the first two aid stations and also a banana at the second. the gels at this point didnt sound good at all. hit the turn around and still felt pretty good. the HR was down where i wanted it to be but the legs kept faltering here. got to the finish turn around and it was great to see everyone really needed it at this point. Still was avg about 8'15" and felt like things were going great. after i got up the hill, my legs just hit a wall! i just slowed down all of a sudden and had not much left in my legs. i slowed down to about a 9' pace but HR was still good. i got about to mile 9 and was hurting pretty bad at this point. I walked the final 3 aid stations to grab my water and another banana for something. legs were still killing me and wanted to save everything i had for the final .5 miles. at about .5 miles left and took off with all i had. saw some great BT writing on the ground and took off. hit about a 8' to 7'45" pace to finish and knew the finish had to come sooner or later. It seemed much later than sooner thats for sure. I saw the crowd and then ran by the BT tents and Theresa and got really excited. I knew i killed my time that i wanted and was so pumped. Hit the finish and i thought i was gonna collapse at first. Legs were shaking, nothing left in them which is good, the way it should have been. so overwhelmed with it all and so glad i ran into no big problems at all.

I wouldnt do anything more during the race, but i know i need to get some stronger legs. plan is to get much needed strength training in the off season to carry a much faster pace after a hard ride. thats about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Got done and headed straight for Theresa. Got a huge hug and kiss from her, and she was so happy for me. I knew i killed it and she kept saying that at every time we saw. i gave her a sheet that had my A, B, and C times of where i wanted to be at each point. She kept telling me that i was A++ and just keep it up. headed to the food station to get some food in me and fluids. legs were shaking and was so tired but on a high at this point. grabbed some food and headed to the tents to see everyone. got a huge hug from the parents and got to talk with schmize, bscharff, djdavey (who passed me at about mile 10 that SOB), sgoehner, and the rest to cheer the rest of the donkeys on to the finish. Stretched out pretty good and ended up laying down for two seconds and almost fell asleep haha. jumped back up and had a few beers which tasted awesome and just traded stories with everyone and cheered on everyone finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only thing that limited me in the end was strength on the run. I had an awesome swim, a even better bike, but my legs needs some more power behind them to run a sub 8' for next year. thats the plan, and just need to get some strength in the sticks. other than that, had a goal of 5:30:00 (or the super secret of 5:20:00 between schmize and me) and killed it! So i got nothing to complain about here.

Event comments:

First HIM, and it was an awesome race. Plan on doing this again, no doubt. Had a blast with all the donkeys. Been training for this puppy since about January and before. Since last winter, ive lost about 40lbs training for this. Been a great experience going through this and changed a lot for the better throughout the months. No doubt about it, i am addicted to this sport. So many times you wanna say "thats it, why the hell am i doing this" and as soon as you see that finish, every pain and thought goes away! Owe a lot to Theresa for so much support through this, and to schmize (my coach) who helped me the whole way with training plans and game time decisions. He helped me pretty much do the right things to achieve my goals, and def did hit my goals. Been a great, take that back, a tremendous tri season so far. Before we know it IM 2011 will be here before i know it!!

Last updated: 2008-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/848
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight with a bend to the left at the end. Pretty sure it was short a little bit but not complaining haha.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:37 | 56 miles | 21.45 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, with some rollers. The first 4 miles were pretty bumpy. Needed to make sure i stayed away from cracks and holes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Hill to start off and then flat for the rest of the turn around and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2009-07-21 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2297826

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Great race and excellent race report. You did kill it!

2009-07-21 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI

Great race and excellent race report. You did kill it!

2009-07-21 7:08 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

great job out there jabroni!!!!  and...........SOB???  did i really deserve that???  ok, maybe i did, but still.......

EEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

2009-07-21 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Congrats on a fantastic first HIM! That's an unbelievable debut for the distance. Savor it!
2009-07-21 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Fantastic race! You totally rocked it! Congrats!

2009-07-21 12:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I don't think we have met yet, but, WOW, for a first, THAT'S ROCKIN'!!!

GREAT JOB!!

2009-07-21 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
AWESOME job on your first HIM! That's a great finish time! It must run in the family.

I'm bummed we didn't get to meet, but I'm sure there will be other races.
2009-07-21 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

Awesome first race dude, you killed it out there. 

2009-07-21 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
stellar frickin' race...!!!  congrats...  really enjoyed meeting you and theresa this past weekend....
2009-07-21 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
---
Yes, you killed it.  I had a good feeling about it.  Its amazing what some consistency and hard work can do.  You have really improved a ton and we are no where near your ceiling. 

And, I am so glad I have helped you.  Although, I think of myself more like a crack dealer, except I am dealing a much more positive drug, which we know as triathlon.  Oh sure, its not all rosey (thats for theresa), but its better than a ton of alternatives.

Awesome stuff.  Enjoy the high for this week, and then I want a nice weekend of training, with a couple solid weeks before PP.

2009-07-21 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Again, AMAZING job Matthew!!
2009-07-22 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

great job - you nailed it!  It has been fun watching your training and getting ready for the race since we both were doing our first HIM at SOR.  I would say we both knocked it out of the park - good luck on a great rest of the season - I see lots of hardware and podiums in your future!

2009-07-22 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

You're one fast dude.  Nice debut for sure. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed