Hubcity Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 04m 47s
Overall Rank = 23/278
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

Dropped kids off for a weekend at the beach with my parents on Friday night. Saturday drove up to Hagerstown with Wife and Karla. Pre-rode the coursse again Saturday afternoon then picked up packets. Sam and I went out to dinner, found a nice little place to eat, hopefully it is still there next year.

Woke up at 4:45 it was raining, drove over to the park, it was still raining, got set up in transition and it was raining, listened to race meeting and it was raining. (you get the picture)

Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 05m 45s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Been in the pool 4 times including this race this month, just lack of pool motivation and time with all the marathon training. Also my tri-top makes a great drag suit, need to get that fixed.

Right before we got in the pool it rained pretty much harder than I have ever had it during a race, lol there was quite a bit of chop in the pool due to the weather.

Estimated time but I think that was what my watch said.
What would you do differently?:

Not take 3 weeks off from swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Everything was soaked, just plopped my butt down on the ground to put socks on. Tried running earlier in the week without socks and didn't work to well.

Find running shoes I can run sockless in for sprints
Bike
  • 31m 21s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 22.01 mile/hr
Comments:

It was pretty wet out there so had to take some corners pretty slowly, plus my legs just felt heavy from all the running I have been doing I suppose. Again this is an estimate based on my finishing time, I am assuming this was my bike pace based on my run time which I was pretty sure was right on 8:00/mile so this is what the bike ended up at.

Need to firgure out a bike workout that is like a tempo run. I can go fast on steep hills, descents and pure flat, but lose some speed on the false flats and long slight uphills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Never much to do here, again estimation
Run
  • 24m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I had used up too much energy trying to go faster on the bike but my run time was still pretty good overall. I was pacing with a guy most of the race which really helped, It seemed to take over 2 miles for my legs to really open up by then the race was almost over so I passed him and ran much harder to the finish.

Need to drop another minute or so per mile to be somewhat competitive.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back and took a shower, came back to the park to watch the last people finish up and waited for awards.

Finished 4th in the AG with a lot of time between me and 3rd, so something to improve on. I had finished 2nd in AG last year but there were only 13 people and I was about 5 minutes faster this year.

Sam got 3rd in her AG and Karla was 1st so it was a great day for them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was really wet when we started and dried up near the end of my race. I really like this race but I have been really run focused for the last month and not much time for the other 2 disciplines.

Times are good overall but I think my bike should have been 1-2 mph faster based on the distance.

Event comments:

Great race, unfortunately with the rain they lost some volunteers and were not able to get splits... Next year they are going to timing chips so should be better.

Last updated: 2009-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:45 | 300 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/278
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-suit
Course: 25M pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:21 | 11.5 miles | 22.01 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly flat
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:45 | 03.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: road with some grass
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2311335

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon
Complete estimation of times, so maybe could have been a bit slower on the bike and faster on the run or vice versa, maybe even faster transitions, who knows.  But final time is right : )
2009-07-27 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice job Tony!  Very nice improvement over last year in bad conditions!

2009-07-27 9:10 PM

User image

Hey man -- just wanted to say thanks for reaching out.  I am a BT'er and love being able to log things and share the "tri" experience with others.  Considering you've been more run focused you have to be pleased with your overall finish and I'm quite sure with another year you're going to came back and be pushing for that AG spot!  Keep it up and best of luck the rest of the year.  You doing any other races? 

NorthEast and Augusta 70.3 for me!

Thanks again and take care!

2009-07-27 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Congrats on a very impressive time, especially on the bike.  Wow! 
2009-07-27 9:23 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Nice result Tony! Terrific time and nice bike pace. I guess that riding with the roadies is paying off!

2009-07-29 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
You always have the most interesting swims. I was stumped trying to figure out how you had a choppy swim in a pool when you didn't mention being crowded in the lane.  Then  it finally dawned on me - OUTDOOR POOL!  Sorry, all my pool swims have been indoor pools so my mind was a little slow to catch up. 

You should get a one piece tri suit. My husband bought one this year and swears by it. He says it has a slick coating on it and he really can feel the effects as he glides through the water. It also adds some buoyancy in open water when he can't wear a wetsuit. 

Great job out there.  Very powerful bike and good run.  I agree, it is hard to do a short run when you are in the middle of training for distance. 
2009-07-29 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Awesome job esp. with no taper and some tough training.  A 5 min. improvement is great and just think how fast onthe run you will be next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed