Korff Enterprises
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 939/3300
Age Group = Clydesdale 40+
Age Group Rank = 21/68
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in NYC on Saturday, parked car, attended race briefing, ate lunch, Met Shawn at bike storage, so glad to meet BT'ers, walked bike down to Transition and racked it. Subway back to Hotel, got gear out of car, checked into hotel, walked back to race finish to hang Tri team banner, hit bar on way to dinner had a beer, mt Tri team at italian rest for dinner, had a few glasses of wine, talked and relaxed, went to bed at 10pm, slept like crap, hotel had down pillows and i am allergic to down, lol. woke up at 3:30, showered dressed, had a PB&J sammie, bannana and cliff bar.
Event warmup:

1 mile walk from transition to swim start, not much else
Swim
  • 19m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

got into water, it was warm, you could really feel the current, got hung up in the rope trying to leave when the horn went off, me and lime green wetsuit dood banged together for most of race, my navigation sucked, i was going left the whole way, i could not get out to the right to get the best current. neat swim, remembered to not step down at end, water got really dark, like someone turned the lights off dark, went to grab the hand rail and missed, nice volunteer grabbed my hand and dragged me up. I was not even tired, rand hard to T1
What would you do differently?:

more pool time, my speed has suffered, but my long distance stuff is really good, i need to find the balance of speed and stamina
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

long run, stuff scattered all over when i got into T1, had to find shoes, wetsuit got caught on valve stem when trying to leave

not much i could do, except hope that my stuff was not strewn all over trans
Bike
  • 1h 12m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

bike went well, I passed probably 900 riders, most were courteous, some were enjoying them selves some were not. ride out was relatively uneventful, once you turned around at Gunhill road, it got hairy and scary. Ride back sucked, bottles strewn all over road, sooper fast guys were catching the moderately fast guys, who were passing the slower riders, made life very interesting. Riders stopping to stretch legs and get fluids stopped and sitting on guardrail on uphills. Very fast ride once we got into flats, and other than people swerving left with no notice to avoid puddles, the ride was ok. Turn around at 56th, up hill and home, i have never wanted to get off my bike so bad in a race before...and my junk went numb..first time ever.

hope to get an earlier wave so as to not pass so many riders. I rode well and hard and am happy with the speed and energy expenditure
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

shoes all over the place, wetsuit now in the middle of trans lane, foot prints all over it, hat 2 stalls down. Find stuff, shoes on, run...

not much
Run
  • 1h 02m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

tough run, run out of trans was long, immediate hills, get onto 79th and bake in the sun, crowd was awesome, buildings are huge!! Get into the park, nothing but hills and rollers, cramped real bad in left hammy exactly at mile 3, had to stop and stretch, get going and held 10min pace, saw Jonah at mile 3.5, he rode with me till about mile 5. Saw co-worker and family at mile 4.5, it was nice to see he came out to watch me. Hooked up with a Brit named Nigel, who helped me finish, we fed off each other as we both struggled with run, with .2 to go, i went into sprint mode, trying to break 2h40m, but just missed.

more run training, maybe 25lbs less
Post race
Warm down:

walked through coral, got water, towell medal and such, ate a bannana and bagle, went and found tri teammates and laid in grass away from people to decompress.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not much, this was a good race. i killed some time goals and only missed one by 22 secs and an unrealistic 2:30 goal that was the ultimate perfect race. i left it all out there, i was spent and had nothing much left to give

Event comments:

i will keep this positive, weather was tough, made for a hot sticky day, and time delay. The guys that run this race are pro's, there is a big difference between this race and a local tri, they did an awesome job. Volunteers were everywhere, crowds were electric, they did a great job. awesome venue. tough logistics. i will not do this race again, too much to do to fully enjoy. would i recommend this race to a 1st timer...NO... should you do this race once in your life...Hell Yes..it is NYC baby, nothing bigger or better.

Last updated: 2008-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:56 | 1500 meters | 01m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 33/68
Overall: 0/3300
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport Sprint Sleeveless
Course: Point to Point in Hudson river with the current
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:08 | 24.85 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/68
Overall: 219/3300
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back along the Henry Hudson and West side highways, rolling with some steep climbs
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:08 | 06.21 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/68
Overall: 0/3300
Performance: Average
Course: up 79th into central park, loop ofthe north side, home to finish
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-28 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2009-07-28 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2312646

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Nice job Rudy! You should be proud of your time for your first Olympic!
2009-07-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2312776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race and great time for your first Olympic!  The milk was in a huge tub of ice water with the cytomax.  It was my first time drinking that stuff and I think I'm addicted to it..  I guess that's why they give it for free.  I'm definitely picking some-up for home.

2009-07-28 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
New York City
Great performance for your first oly, solid race, well done.
2009-07-28 5:16 PM

Thats dang impressive Mr Rudy...keep it up!
2009-07-29 8:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-07-30 6:33 AM

Uxbridge
WOW Rudy!!! Great job out therre!!!
2009-07-30 7:09 AM

Elite
Connecticut
Great job Rudy!  You are a seriously fast swimmer.  Where do you hide your gills?
2009-07-30 12:39 PM

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Nice job out there Dog!!! You da man!!! Great swim, kick bike and held in there on a tough run course. Congrats on losing the Olimpic virginity!!

2009-07-31 9:12 PM

Champion
New York, NY
great job!!! you rocked this race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed