General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Dreams and Reality Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-08-03 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: IM Dreams and Reality
I can't believe I am opening myself up to this, but here goes...

I have wanted to finish an IM since I was 40; ten years ago.  The timing was not good(kids, career, etc).  So I waited...patiently.  I have been doing tris for several years now and the longest has been a HIM.  I took this year off to attend several weddings, graduations and do about 25 projects around the house.  My wife is completely on board and is encouraging me to do nothing but work and train for the next year to be ready for IMWI in 2010.   

However, as I am getting closer to my volunteering at this years IMWI with the plan of signing up while I am there, I am starting to doubt whether I can still fit the training in now that my kids are more or less self sufficient and I have the year "off" from home projects.  I travel a lot (3-4 days/week) so my training gets interrupted a lot during the week.  I am looking at one of the BT plans that has a rest day on Fridays and the longer workouts on the weekends. My thoughts are to use Friday as a make-up day for missed workouts during the week albeit they will be "easier" so I don't fatigue myself before the weekend sessions.  I would have to improvise using treadmills, cheap motel or YMCA exercycles,etc.  Weekend training would not be an issue.  I am prepared to join the YMCA so I can use local Y's as I travel. 

So, what are your thoughts on taking the plunge?   

2009-08-03 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2325017

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: IM Dreams and Reality

I say go for it. Finishing any distance triathlon is the sum of the whole training. You can and will miss some workouts. You can make some of the missed workouts up, but some you will just have to let go. If you have been doing tris for some time, you know your body and what you can do. Trust yourself and the training plan and you will be fine.

And, don't forget to spend time with the family, too. IM is not everything

2009-08-03 4:18 PM

User image

Master
PA

how strong is your swim?  if you are strong in the swim you can afford a bit less pool time.   is your travel by car that you could always bring your bike & trainer with you?

i don't know if you can afford coaching, but it would be ideal to have one-on-one coaching so you could tell your coach each week what your availability was and have the coach be able to maximize each workout to get you in the best position to achieve your goals.  IM training takes consistency above all else IMO.  So you would need to be extremely disciplined in using the time you do have available.  I had many many many 5am workouts.

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
If your goal is to finish and not podium, there is no reason that you shouldn't pursue it.  You're fit enough to do HIM, so its not like you're starting from ground zero - you just need to build a good, strong aerobic base for the longer distance.

Your goals are realistic and it sounds like you've thought it through - if you're dedicated to it, and you have the support of your sig. other, I say go for it!  You don't want to be 60 or 70 and look back and say "damnit, I really wish I had ticked that IM off my bucket list".... =)

-John

User image

Veteran
Do it. Having your wife completely on board is the biggest obstacle. The rest is easy
2009-08-03 4:21 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Swing for the fence man!  Life is short and we aren't getting any younger!

~Mike

2009-08-03 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You are wise to consider carefully how it will fit into your life. You know it will be a balancing act and look you have done a lot for the family this year. If your spouse is on board, you have the desire, fitness base, finances, and time go for it. It is an amazing adventure that I think you can learn a lot about yourself.

Traveling and  training will probably be the hardest thing to work around but you should be able to run while traveling. Harder to ride but maybe you can find some pools to swim with.

As Jenn suggested trying to fit your training around your life makes it so much easier to execute your plan. Having a coach last 5 years that have done that for me makes it so I can just train and not have the headache of trying to juggle things.

2009-08-03 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You can do it.

Fridays off will work. I usually took Fridays off... unless I swam in the morning.

If you get a gym membership to a place nationwide you can take spin classes and swim while traveling... not to mention you can run anywhere (get a Garmin if you don't have one, will make that easier in strange places).

As long as you get your long stuff in on the weekends, and keep up with the other stuff during the week while traveling... you can do it.

GO FOR IT!!!!

2009-08-03 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If you're constrained by a lot of travel, a coach is probably one of the best investments you can make.  He/she can help identify a training plan and likely results specific to your situation.  One of the worst things you can do is sign up for a plan that doesn't fit your lifestyle and then stress over the training you aren't getting done (or changing it up willy-nilly). 

You can probably work towards a 14-15 hour finish on as little as 7 hours per week (average, you'll have longer weeks at peak volume). 

2009-08-03 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Wow, thanks everyone.  
My swim is pretty good... can't afford a coach...I fly a lot, so no bike or trainer, though you did give me the idea when I drive to take trainer with me...5am workouts would be best way to get most of my weekly workouts in...I just have to get my butt out of bed!...my goal is to finish...you are right, I don't want to look back when I am older and say I shoulda, coulda...someone said "let your reality never be more than your dreams"...or something like that...usually a Y where I travel so I could get workouts in if I got up at 5.  I usually don't have to be ready for work before 7 or so.

Rogillo, "Swing for the fence"  I have been telling my son that since he played summer rec baseball!  He is expecting me to do this...He's 20 now.

I have been studying plans; Matt Fitzgerald, Gale Bernhardt(used hers for HIM), Ironfit, some others.  It seems like the Silver BT 27 week plan could work the best for me because of the way the weekly workouts are laid out.  I usually don't leave until Tuesday am and return on Thursday pm.
2009-08-03 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I hope you go for it. I know you would never regret trying and wouldn't it be amazing if you did it. Always try and you can amaze yourself.

2009-08-03 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Training and traveling is workable if you plan ahead.  I call my hotels to find out about their amenities, find a local spin class or YMCA.  Then I plan my workouts accordingly.  I plan the entire week in advance, which means shuffling workouts sometimes.  I have been pretty successful in getting all of my workouts in this way.  I don't travel as often as you do, but I think the prinicpal would work the same.  Good luck and congrats on taking the plunge!
2009-08-04 1:22 AM
in reply to: #2325195

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
I used to travel alot and that is when I got my long runs in.  Its easy to pack shorts and running shoes. All you have to do is get up before everyone else does and put in the miles.  I'd also look for local pools and lakes for after work swims and saved the long bike rides for when I was home.  Be flexible and you can work it out.  I even did a couple 2 hour rides on one of those cheap hotel stationary Schwinn bikes. 

Go for it!!!

2009-08-04 5:40 PM

You can do it!!!

I'm 45 and a clydesdale and just did my first tri - IMLP!  If I can do it with no tri experience you can definitely do it.

I'm no stranger to a difficult workout schedule.  I didn't have a coach.  I read a few books, looked at my wife's plan that her coach had made last year and downloaded the free BT IM Plan.

I came up with my own hybrid plan.  The common theme between all these plans is building the distance.  I made it a priority to make sure I got my long bike and run in every week.  Since running was my strong suit I didn't focus on it.  I would do my long run and one other run a week.  And if I had to miss something on a given week it would be my shorter run.  Although, I also play 2 hours of Hockey so I count that as my tempo/ interval training.

I usually got 3 bike rides in a week, 1 long and 2 others.  There were a couple of weeks I couldn't fit the third one it.  If that was going to happen my other bike would be short but very hard.

Swimming I followed I took a class at TI and followed the plan their coach set up for me.

Don't put two long days together, i.e. long bike follwed the next day by long run.  Every 4th week was a recovery week, so no long workouts.  Listen to your body!  If it needs a rest give it one.  Just don't get lazy:-)

Life is going to get in the way sometimes.  If you have to miss a workout don't sweat it, just keep progressing and you'll make your goal.

Go for it!!! It is a great experience!

Bob
2009-08-06 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did 18 and 20 mile runs on a treadmill when I was preparing for a January marathon, you can get in the distance that way without problems.  You can get in 3 bikes a week around your travel days with your long ride on the weekends being key and swims should be possible at YMCA's or whatever.  If you can get in 2-3 3500-4000 yard swims you can complete the IM swim np.  I had to go all winter with only 2 swims per week and did fine (not fast but finished with no fatigue).  

Focus on the quality of your workouts.  One long, one with intensity, on inbetween.  You have the time to train so, get er done! 
2009-08-06 2:40 PM

User image

I travel a lot -  and also completed my MBA while training for three different IM's.

Do you really want to do it?  If you do - then sign up.  You have to really want it because it is going to be tough to get it all in.

When I am on the road I am relegated to running on terrible treadmills or through industrial zones.  Sometimes I will just run the stairs in the hotel.  You can always do core and if you are lucky some weights.  I have been known to do double bricks on a recumbent bike and a treadmill in those hot exercise room closets.

I front load and rear load my riding.  Key is to get your long stuff in on the weekends and if you miss a work out due to a dinner meeting or whatever - just let it go - and move on with your next day's plan.

I have a website that will give you the list of pools in any place you stay.

Shoot me an IM if you want to chat more about this.

It can be done - but do you really want to do what it takes to get there?

2009-08-06 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2325934

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JJohn - 2009-08-04 1:22 AM I used to travel alot and that is when I got my long runs in.  Its easy to pack shorts and running shoes. All you have to do is get up before everyone else does and put in the miles.  I'd also look for local pools and lakes for after work swims and saved the long bike rides for when I was home.  Be flexible and you can work it out.  I even did a couple 2 hour rides on one of those cheap hotel stationary Schwinn bikes. 

Go for it!!!

x2 on the running while on the road.  I used to take running stuff when out of town, my garmin and check out gmaps for running routes.  Even got it down booking my hotel where i knew the good run routes were.

2009-08-06 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Definitely doable.

Take a look at your weekly schedule.  Come up with 3 days that you can schedule 3 key workouts - long swim, long bike, long run.  These are the workouts you don't miss.  Then fill in the rest of the week where and when you can.  For your situation it sounds like your long bike would be on Saturday and your long run on Sunday (I prefer my long run mid-week, but whatever works is what you have to go with).  Try to make your long bike early Saturday morning and your long Run late Sunday evening.  This give you some extra recovery time before your long run.  Long swim could be whatever day you aren't traveling.  Then fill in with swim, runs and bikes while traveling.  (you could do the elastic tether in the hotel swimming pool  and get some strange looks 
2009-08-06 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
If you're not completely excited about doing it here, at the outset, it's going to be a long, long year.  Especially with the constraints you have on your time.
2009-08-09 6:01 PM

User image

Ontario
  It is a decision about what you will and will not do rather than a question of can or cannot.  You positively can.  I'll see you in Wisconsin.  What station are you volunteering at?

"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life."  From a song by a band called Train...how ironic. 
2009-08-10 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2337196

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Good point Katherinel!   I am doing bike check in Saturday from 9:30-12:30, Gear Bags from 3-6, and Changing Tent on Sunday from 12-4:30.

2009-08-11 7:12 AM

I can relate to where you're coming from.   I'm younger but had the same thoughts, if not now then it won't get any easier.  Looking at starting our family this year, and I knew things would be tougher later.  I also travel, but luckily it has scaled back as I've started training.  I'm about half way through my program, with some good volume behind me but the heaviest just ahead.  I'm basically following the beginner ironman plan from this site.  The key things I've learned so far are:

1) Sit down every Sunday night with that week's schedule.  Write out all your travel, meetings, and personal commitments on the schedule.  Do your best to stick to the number of workouts, but most importantly, schedule your quality workouts around your travel.  Be realistic about how much energy you'll have for a morning swim if you're getting back from a trip at midnight the night before.  Thinking practically and finding the biggest holes of time where I'm most likely to be rested is always the starting point for where I slot my workouts.

2) Make sure the family understands just how much time and energy this will take.  My wife was also on-board at the beginning, but she's starting to fatigue as I get deeper into the program.  I'm up four days a week at 4:45 for the pool, straight to work, home around 6:30, then bike or run for an hour to two hours during the week.  On the weekends, I try to knock out my long work earlier so we can still have some time.  But needless to say, the impact on "quality time" with your significant other is massive, and 20 weeks is a long haul. 

3) While there is more to life than work and training, think carefully about the timing of vacation or family coming to visit.  I've got a five day vacation coming up from Wednesday through Sunday, and come back to work to travel the following Monday through Wednesday.  8 solid days right in the peak of my training without access to my normal training facilities.  I also had my family come visit for an entire week a few weeks back, and it was tough to work, train, and entertain.  Something has to give. 

4) When you travel, make sure to think about how and where you're going to eat.  I can travel and use the treadmill or exercise bike, but I hate it when I'm stuck at an airport and all there is around is a Taco Bell and a McDonalds.  I cave every time.  The travel makes sticking to a nutrition plan much more challenging.

Other than those challenges, I'm loving my training, and wish I could commit more to it. 

2009-08-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2340670

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jdhgator - 2009-08-11 7:12 AM

I can relate to where you're coming from.   I'm younger but had the same thoughts, if not now then it won't get any easier.  Looking at starting our family this year, and I knew things would be tougher later.  I also travel, but luckily it has scaled back as I've started training.  I'm about half way through my program, with some good volume behind me but the heaviest just ahead.  I'm basically following the beginner ironman plan from this site.  The key things I've learned so far are: Good job going for it now!  Once the kids get a little older you will want to be involved in their lives since it goes so fast!  You won't believe it!  Toddling around today, little league tomorrow, then drivers license and their gone!

1) Sit down every Sunday night with that week's schedule.  Write out all your travel, meetings, and personal commitments on the schedule.  Do your best to stick to the number of workouts, but most importantly, schedule your quality workouts around your travel.  Be realistic about how much energy you'll have for a morning swim if you're getting back from a trip at midnight the night before.  Thinking practically and finding the biggest holes of time where I'm most likely to be rested is always the starting point for where I slot my workouts.  Good idea.  I will do this for sure.

2) Make sure the family understands just how much time and energy this will take.  My wife was also on-board at the beginning, but she's starting to fatigue as I get deeper into the program.  I'm up four days a week at 4:45 for the pool, straight to work, home around 6:30, then bike or run for an hour to two hours during the week.  On the weekends, I try to knock out my long work earlier so we can still have some time.  But needless to say, the impact on "quality time" with your significant other is massive, and 20 weeks is a long haul.  I will double check with my wife.  She seems to understand that for the next year I will be basically unavailable.  We have discussed and she agrees that she will be there to support me.  Our agreement is that she will still do stuff (visiting family, weddings, picnics,whatever) and she will tell me what she is doing but she won't even ask me to go. She knows I will feel obligated to say yes if she asks.  If I can or want to go, then I will just invite myself along with her.

3) While there is more to life than work and training, think carefully about the timing of vacation or family coming to visit.  I've got a five day vacation coming up from Wednesday through Sunday, and come back to work to travel the following Monday through Wednesday.  8 solid days right in the peak of my training without access to my normal training facilities.  I also had my family come visit for an entire week a few weeks back, and it was tough to work, train, and entertain.  Something has to give. It may sound selfish to some, but this is going to be my year to accomplish a huge goal and when family comes to visit, they will have to understand that I may be gone for 4-6 hours on Saturday and/or Sunday.  Vacations will be scheduled after IM except for a few days actually around the event.  This summer we visted my wife's dad and I took my bike so I could get a long ride in.  He in his own subtle way suggested we go out for breakfast instead of my ride.  I never got my bike out of the car that weekend.  On our way home, my wife looked at me and said; " I'm sorry, next year just don't even come.  It 's not worth missing a ride.  Dad just doesn't understand." 

4) When you travel, make sure to think about how and where you're going to eat.  I can travel and use the treadmill or exercise bike, but I hate it when I'm stuck at an airport and all there is around is a Taco Bell and a McDonalds.  I cave every time.  The travel makes sticking to a nutrition plan much more challenging. I am all too familiar with this scenario.  That is why flying is no fun!

Other than those challenges, I'm loving my training, and wish I could commit more to it. 

Thanks for the advice!

2009-08-11 11:02 AM

Extreme Veteran

My only tip as you start your long road is that when you have to compromise on the fly (and you will, life gets in the way) don't choose to compromise your sleep.  Treat it as your most important discipline - you have to get your long sleep in every night.  Better to can a short run if it means you still get your 8 hours.

If you don't you will eventually break.  It's a tough road but more than possible if you don't ignore the 'silent disciplines' - sleep, nutrition and consistency. Get those three right and you'll be far more confident when you're standing on the starting beach wondering what lies ahead.

Good luck!

2009-08-11 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
I'll offer up another suggestion: CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance (http://www.crossfitendurance.com) (wfs). It is apparent that you've established a strong base across all three elements and you've mentioned as part of your goals to balance work/life balance with your endurance training while training to finish vs. podium.

Also a worthwhile read is: http://www.gotrimax.com/TriMaxEvan.htm(wfs)

Max Wunderle (beginnertriathlete member and CFE Coach) is training his athlete Evan using this method in his quest to PR IM AZ.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Dreams and Reality Rss Feed  

of 1