Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-08-13 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2346740

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: "Just finish" as a goal
There's a huge difference between perception of effort between people.

Right now, I'm a mop'er, and I know some gifted fop'ers, and while it makes me feel good to say they're genetically gifted, they also work thier tails off; at least twice as hard as I do.  There's a big difference between putting in a 14 hour week and putting in a hard 14 hours and sometimes I question if I can train on that level.  Many claim to; but in reality most dont.  I've only had that work ethic once in my life, and surprisingly, it was the only time I podiumed...

I can honestly say my training for the last few years hasn't been at a level it should be, and I think if most people look at thier program, they can say the same thing.  I posted something about it earlier and didn't really convey it well.

People want race day to be perfect so they set a attainable goal, and in distance racing, times are not guarantees...

Its just like college, you have people that 'just want to graduate' vs people who want honors.  

2009-08-13 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Why do you feel it's your business to state what someone's goal should be? As many have said we all come from different places in life and have different abilities and talents. To finish is a great goal for a novice not knowing how all the stars will align on their big day.
Validation comes in many forms even those you don't respect or agree with.

Isn't this web site called beginner triathlete? It's not called extremely experienced triathlete is it?

McFuzz - 2009-08-13 2:36 PM

If your goal is to "just finish" 140.6 miles, save yourself the $550 entry fee plus travel expenses and put together your own 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 mile run.  You will have covered the distance which is more than most people would even consider trying.  Ahhh...you want the validation that comes with an "official finish in a real race"  which is why you aren't dreaming of finishing the race in 19 hours and 34 minutes (but hey!  you "just finished" the distance in a real race). 

There is some external validation to getting that "official finish" which means you want to finish in <16:59.  Other people can ohh and ahh over your hardware and your name and finish time are recorded for all time on the internet. 

Now is 16:59 going to satisfy that internal validation?  If you dream of finishing in 16:59 and perfectly execute your race plan and achieve that 16:59 finish time, you'll probably be happy (internally validated) and can move on to another goal. 

2009-08-13 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2347746

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2009-08-13 10:19 PM
2009-08-13 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2347755

Master
Metro NY Area
Is it an opinion or a statement? The same could be said about a FOP or MOP that they could save their race fees. Everyone has their Point of View. Am I or anyone else not entitled to one too? Thoughts provoked.

PennState - 2009-08-13 11:18 PM

losta - 2009-08-13 11:12 PM Why do you feel it's your business to state what someone's goal should be? As many have said we all come from different places in life and have different abilities and talents. To finish is a great goal for a novice not knowing how all the stars will align on their big day. Validation comes in many forms even those you don't respect or agree with. Isn't this web site called beginner triathlete? It's not called extremely experienced triathlete is it?
McFuzz - 2009-08-13 2:36 PM

If your goal is to "just finish" 140.6 miles, save yourself the $550 entry fee plus travel expenses and put together your own 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 mile run.  You will have covered the distance which is more than most people would even consider trying.  Ahhh...you want the validation that comes with an "official finish in a real race"  which is why you aren't dreaming of finishing the race in 19 hours and 34 minutes (but hey!  you "just finished" the distance in a real race). 

There is some external validation to getting that "official finish" which means you want to finish in <16:59.  Other people can ohh and ahh over your hardware and your name and finish time are recorded for all time on the internet. 

Now is 16:59 going to satisfy that internal validation?  If you dream of finishing in 16:59 and perfectly execute your race plan and achieve that 16:59 finish time, you'll probably be happy (internally validated) and can move on to another goal. 

So McFuzz is not allowed to have an opinion???

Wow this thread has degenerated a bit. Too bad because it was a thought-provoking post.

*sigh*

2009-08-13 11:32 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks for the discussion. 

1)  Please refrain from personal sparring/attacks (that's the stuff that gets threads deleted)

2)  It isn't about whether someone's goals are worthy or not worthy.  It isn't my place to tell you what your goals should be, and if you re-read my original post, I NEVER did that.  What I did is take a frequently stated goal to a logical but absurd place (doing your own 140.6).  Why does that threaten so many people?  If you want to go out and do your own 140.6, I'll gladly call you an Ironman (this may offend those who want to protect the sanctity of "Ironman" as some special designation reserved for some elite fraternity, but I'm not worried about those people). 

Again, if you re-read my original post, there are lots of IF's including

If you dream of finishing in 16:59 and perfectly execute your race plan and achieve that 16:59 finish time, you'll probably be happy
and
But if that perfectly executed 16:59 doesn't really scratch that internal itch, you'll be left with a nagging feeling of "unfinished business" and "just finish" is a cop-out.
  Here's a new "IF":  If you accomplish your "just finish" goal but you feel empty/unsatisfied about it, you probably missed capturing the real goal. (I'm not being judgmental, I'm pointing you towards the source of your dissatisfaction.

3)  Failure is acceptable.  Sometimes we don't meet a goal, and most of the time, it's OK.  We shouldn't be so afraid of failure that we risk success.  There's a reason they give out finisher's medals at the end of the race instead of the day we sign up. Priorities change, catastrophe strikes, adversity builds and the future is uncertain. 

I have a lot of respect for anyone who shows up ready to race.  I have a lot of respect for those people who get pulled out of the race (injury, cutoff, etc.).  I have a lot of respect for people who stop themselves rather than risk a bigger goal (read some RR's where the author DNF'd or the threads where a poster is anxious because they know they can't or shouldn't try to finish the whole race and so should they even start it).  I have a lot of respect for people who do a race in 5 hours instead of the 3 hours they're capable of because they're supporting someone else in the race.  I have a lot of respect for people who finish the race smiling, whether it's the front, middle, or DFL. 

I'll end this post with two challenges: 

1)  Start nurturing and developing those Super Secret goals (the ones that you really dream about) and quit fertilizing the "just finish" goal. 

2)  Go rejoice (post) on a thread where someone hit a goal and is so excited they just have to share it with the BT community. 

2009-08-14 5:47 AM
in reply to: #2347784

New user
Isn't this web site called beginner triathlete? It's not called extremely experienced triathlete is it?

LOL  Great comment

So McFuzz is not allowed to have an opinion???

Of course he is.  This is a discussion forum, so isn't anyone allowed to have an opinion, even opposing ones?

2009-08-14 6:48 AM

Edited by PennState 2009-08-14 6:48 AM
2009-08-14 6:52 AM

2009-08-14 7:10 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Here's my morning contribution: 

"Just finish" can be that precious gem you find in the debris when your plan blows up.  It can be a perfectly acceptable outcome

2009-08-14 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2347988

Elite
Texas
PennState - 2009-08-14 6:48 AM Let me re-state something. My respect and admiration is for people who give it their all. Which has very little if anything to do with finishing time.

I don't dis-respect anyone... I just have some people held higher as I admire their determination.

btw from what I understand I am free to have an opinion (constitution and all...). You are all are too. This is just my opinion.

Heh... at first glance I thought this said:

"btw from what I understand I am free to have an opinion (constitution and all...). You are all are tools. This is just my opinion."

First cup of coffee and all...

I've winced a few times reading this thread. ISeems like it boils down to something pretty simple though. Goals are personal. If you have to explain them to someone else (fellow triathlete or not), they probably won't understand. Lack of understanding, especially with regard to personal opinions or beliefs, puts people on the defensive.

As for the OP's question, I dunno. I will say that the reason I haven't entertained the idea of doing an IM is that I can't see that "just finishing" would have any significant meaning for me at this point in my life. I absoultely respect that crossing the finish line means a lot to others, and I'm happy that people have an opportunity to get out and find out what they can do physically.

The greater challenge that suits me is to find a way to mitigate my chronic injuries to the point that I can train the way I want to RACE a 70.3 and get on the podium. I have the misfortune of knowing how it feels (running anyway) to be out in front of the FOP with my lungs hanging out of my face, but not being sure I can ever do that again. If I can do that in long course triathlon, maybe I'd look at going longer. But until I can, I'll be watching my friends on IM live on race day.

2009-08-14 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2347996

Coach
Boston, MA

PennState - 2009-08-14 6:52 AM And also as Mike says there is nothing wrong with simply doing this all for fun. *I* again was trying to explain what I admired the most. TRuly there is no dis-respect felt by me (except when people are rude... remember that CDA bike crash a guy caused for that girl???), and I wish I had stated my thoughts more clearly.

Apologies.
meh; you clearly need to go to sock's school of proper tri-etiquette and take humility 101 you arrogant FOPer! I am about to enroll and looking forward for "how to be a positive triathlon force" 101

2009-08-14 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2347996

Champion
Alabama

PennState - 2009-08-14 6:52 AM And also as Mike says there is nothing wrong with simply doing this all for fun. *I* again was trying to explain what I admired the most. TRuly there is no dis-respect felt by me (except when people are rude... remember that CDA bike crash a guy caused for that girl???), and I wish I had stated my thoughts more clearly.

Apologies.

I understand Fred and I know you would never intentionally offend anyone.  I agree that we should all do our best on race day....leave it all on the field...spend everything we have before we cross the finishline.  Not everyone wants to pay the price to go sub-12 in an IM and that's ok.  We all have different  levels of ability and committment and that's the reason you see IM finish times from sub-9 hrs to 17 hrs.  Think about that...that's an 8 hr + window. 

Good civil discussion for the most part.  :-)

~Mike

2009-08-14 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2348047

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
JorgeM - 2009-08-14 7:30 AM

Apologies.
meh; you clearly need to go to sock's school of proper tri-etiquette and take humility 101 you arrogant FOPer! I am about to enroll and looking forward for "how to be a positive triathlon force" 101

Sweet! At least I'll have company!

...now where's Rick.....
2009-08-14 8:15 AM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I took the time to read every post, so here goes.

I think it boils down to the use of the word JUST.  When I go into a race, especially IM my first and foremost goal is to Finish.  That's because it should be the goal of everyone that toes that line.  (IMHO).

Some would consider me FOP and I argue with that at times.  (Note:  I am projecting my views on others here) I think what people fail to realize is that even FOP'ers deal with the same issues that everyone else deals with.  I have a huge mental barrier when it comes to the run.  I have heard people flatly say, "You're fast, you have no issues on that course".  I smile, say Thank You and go about beating my self up because I 'gave' up mentally and didn't push myself.  We all have our crosses to bear.

What most people fail to acknowledge, and I mentioned this yesterday at my T-Clinic, is that the winner and the DFL finisher is out there giving their best.  Yes, their times are different, but they are each going full throttle (most likely).  One just happens to be faster, be it because of genetics, training load, injury, etc.

After every race, I go back out on course and cheer those that are still out there.  To the cynic it's because I want to show them that I finshed already.  But the reason I do it is becuase I wish I would have had someone yelling at me and cheering me on up that last hill, the last 200m, etc.  So I go out and do that for them.  It's because I respect their effort and the work they have put forth to get to that start AND finish line.

Now I think I'm rambling...
2009-08-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2346921

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

JorgeM - 2009-08-13 2:41 PM Next year it I hope to get to LP to complete my 1ts IM. My main goal is going to be finish, execute well and have fun. Of course I also would like to finish in 9:30ish hrs (there I said it) but that will be the icing on the cake. So yes I think it is possible to have the "just to finsh" goal and a time goal at the same time. One is the implied goal, the other one is on top of it *if* things work out as planned but if it doesn't it is ok. Goals for me are motivators and my when I start training for LP that's going to be my part of my drive. Still, enjoying the ride and the day will be the main goal all along; next year I might accomplish my time goal or not, but when I can accomplish my main goal I'll be one happy dude!

I'm going to get into the coaching business, and I'm willing to take you on as the first client in the revolutionary "McFuzz's Just Finish" Ironman training program free of charge.

The training plan is pretty simple.  Swim twice a week, building up to a long swim of 4000-4500 yards in a wetsuit (ideally, breastroke so you can sight well) but don't risk a shoulder injury with too many yards.  Practice going slow so you don't overheat.  Ride a couple times a week on the trainer (can't have you jeopardizing your goal with a potential bike wreck) building up to about 7 hours in the saddle.  Throttle back to about 15 mph because that will reduce the chances of GI issues.  Run on the treadmill at least 30 minutes 3 times per week at a 13-minute/mile pace and walk 4-5 hours at least once a week.   Stretch properly and you shouldn't have any issues with tendonitis, PF, or ITBs on this plan. 

Race-day execution is a little more involved. 
When the cannon sounds, pause for 5 minutes and say a prayer grateful that you are healthy enough to compete and there are volunteers, spectators, and fellow athletes sharing your experience.  As long as you're praying, include a short request for nobody to get hurt during the day.  (This also gives the crowd time to get ahead of you so you're not mixing it up in the crowd and risking an injury or swallowing too much water.)  Target coming out of the water at 2:00. 
When you get to T1, pause for another prayer grateful to have finished the swim.  Change into the comfy bike clothes.  Before you head out of T1, check off your preparations against the checklist so you didn't forget anything, hit the port-o-john, and say a quick prayer for a safe bike ride for you and your competitors.  If all of this takes 15 minutes, you're still on track according to the plan.  Now go start riding.  I don't want you riding any faster than 20 mph (risking a crash) and stay as far away from other cyclists and weird things in the road (like signs ).  Keep your average around 15 mph if possible so your tummy doesn't get upset.  Don't be afraid to stop and use the port-o-johns throughout the day.  If you average 15 mph (7.5 hours) and  spend another half-hour taking care of business, you'll still be 15 minutes under the bike cutoff.  You should be rolling into T2 with a nearly numb butt, but a full tank for the "run." 
In T2, say another prayer that you were able to successfully complete the bike.  Change into your comfy running gear.  Review your T2 checklist and head out for the marathon.  With a 15-minute T2, you have a generous 6:30 to get through the marathon.  Run at the 13 minute/mile pace as much as you can, but don't be afraid to walk the aid stations to get food and water.  You only have to average 14:53 to finish before midnight.  Remember, your goal is to (officially) finish, so you don't want to do anything to jeopardize achieving that goal.  Be sure to thank the volunteers, officials, and spectators.  I'd encourage you to say an encouraging word or two to every triathlete you see during the course of the day.  Collect your finisher medal, but before you pose for the finisher picture, pause and say another prayer for a successful and fun day. 

I'm confident with your current fitness, you'd be ready to start today and I know you have the discipline to execute this plan perfectly.  I'll see if I can pull some strings and get you into IMKY this month (the longer you wait to race, the more likely some other life event--like a car accident--foils the plan).  

2009-08-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2348180

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
McFuzz,

Since Jorge got the free slot?  Can I pay a reduced rate if I want to have a moment of silence or project positive energy instead of pray?

Thanks!

2009-08-14 10:25 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona

This is a really interesting thread.  Thanks, McFuzz, for starting it and thanks to everyone who has contributed.  As I am training for my first IM, it has provided a lot of food for thought, and the timing is perfect.   My stated goal for my IM is to finish under the cutoff - 16:59:59, but I am guilty of having that 'super secret' stretch goal as well.  If everything goes perfectly, I might be able to get done in 15:00 (there - I said it, and I can't believe I am posting it here - yikes!).  That said, I realize that there are a lot of things that can happen over 140.6 miles or 15-17 hours that can impact that stretch goal.  I know going in that I am not fast - I am usually toward the BOP.  Therefore, I know I don't have too much margin for error.  My goal in the next few months of training is to give myself more cushion so that if something does go wrong, either physically or mechanically, my goal of finishing can be preserved.  If I finish, I will consider the day a huge success.  I will not be disappointed if I do not hit my stretch goal - 140.6 is a big unknown to me since I have never done the distance before - the stretch goal is a 'nice to have'.  In reality, for me it is all about finishing - upright and happy.

Ultimately, I would like to have memories like those that KSH described.  While I will always remember my time, I expect that I will think much more about the things that happen along the way - the person I ran with at mile 18, the friend that I saw on the second loop of the bike, the BTer volunteering at an aid station that gave me some needed encouragement, etc.  Of course, I want the day to be a challenging, fulfilling big event (something that 10 years ago and even five, would have been inconceiveable to me), but I also want to have fun.  I see each race as a celebration of the work that I have put in and an opportunity to prove what my training had led me to believe I can achieve.

Of course, everyone comes to this from a different perspective and has different goals.  Like KathyG pointed out, my best case scenario finishing time might represent someone else's worst possible day, and that is okay.  The people who finish before me are there for a variety of reasons - some are more gifted, some are mentally or physically tougher, and some have flat outworked me - maybe a combination of these.  The people who finish behind me also are there for a variety of reasons - I may have more natural ability, they may face challenges that I have been fortunate enough not to have, they may not have the luxury of putting in the training time I do.  Either way, I respect everyone who is out there, whatever their reasons or goals.   I think most of us feel that way.      

2009-08-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2346916

Master
ChrisM - 2009-08-13 12:38 PM ... Second, I have a hard time talking to some triathletes after races, since they are always disappointed because they didn't meet this goal or that goal, and denigrate their whole race.  Rather than celebrating having the ability to be out there doing more than a huge percentage of the population.  I know, I used to define myself by my results as well (coming back into competetive sports later in life).  Sure, I like to do well and try to get on the podium, but if I don't, being disappointed in myself isn't the answer (for me)...

This is so true Chris.  As a MOP I race with a good friend who is FOP.  He is not a negative person but he is always complaining about his time.  We did Oceanside HIM and he finished about an hour before me...within minutes of coming in he was moaning about his time...made me think, "jeez, he must really think I suck"

As far as IM goes...finishing is not my goal.  I have gone through military training that has kept my body moving for over 72hrs so I know I can do that.  I have this flexible time goal...mainly becasue with 100days till race I still don't know what that IM pace will be.  I think right now it is around 13hrs...but I have yet to go over 4hrs on the bike so there is still time to learn my limits.

So for me...finishing is not the end all goal for this first one.  But if this is the hardest thing you have ever done in your life...why not "just finish".  I is still a huge accomplishment.

Edited by sax 2009-08-14 11:09 AM
2009-08-14 11:18 AM

Master
I admit I didn't read every post in the thread.
However, I want to throw in my 2 cents. Now, I haven't done an IM, but I think the question relates to the marathon and 1/2 marathon training I do as well as the tris I have completed.

Goals are very personal, and it can be hard to throw one out that others might hold you to.
The first time you do a race, I think the just finish and XX:XX:XX goal are sensible. If you haven't run that race yet, you won't know what to expect.
After that, I think most people have a relatively good idea of where they want to finish. As McFuzz stated in the OP, this can and should change based on the conditions on race day.
In fact, goals should be re-assessed on a regular basis based on training, health, etc.

However, I think the point the OP was trying to make was why don't people set specific goals and try to achieve them. Well, I think most of us do. We just might not be telling everyone else.
2009-08-14 11:20 AM

New user
Collegeville

Just finished reading this whole thread and it contains some great subthreads but re: the "fop vs the world" vibe - from someone who has only completed three sprints I don't even feel right assigning myslef a "xop" status (call it other-than-fop) and I am constantly suprised how the "serious fop'ers" take the time to respond to the nOOb quesitons. That someone who can do a 9:30 weighs in on what are yankz-type questions is what I think makes this board so valuable -especially to the begginner triathlete.

2009-08-14 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2348553

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
sax - 2009-08-14 11:52 AM
ChrisM - 2009-08-13 12:38 PM ... Second, I have a hard time talking to some triathletes after races, since they are always disappointed because they didn't meet this goal or that goal, and denigrate their whole race.  Rather than celebrating having the ability to be out there doing more than a huge percentage of the population.  I know, I used to define myself by my results as well (coming back into competetive sports later in life).  Sure, I like to do well and try to get on the podium, but if I don't, being disappointed in myself isn't the answer (for me)...

This is so true Chris.  As a MOP I race with a good friend who is FOP.  He is not a negative person but he is always complaining about his time.  We did Oceanside HIM and he finished about an hour before me...within minutes of coming in he was moaning about his time...made me think, "jeez, he must really think I suck"

The bolded above is the problem!  He doesn't think you suck.  Your time has no bearing on his time.  He is disapointed in HIS performance, not YOUR time. 

I don't think anyone the finished behind me sucks.  For ME it's about the effort put out on race day, not the time that produces.

2009-08-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2348180

McFuzz - 2009-08-14 6:38 AM

JorgeM - 2009-08-13 2:41 PM Next year it I hope to get to LP to complete my 1ts IM. My main goal is going to be finish, execute well and have fun. Of course I also would like to finish in 9:30ish hrs (there I said it) but that will be the icing on the cake. So yes I think it is possible to have the "just to finsh" goal and a time goal at the same time. One is the implied goal, the other one is on top of it *if* things work out as planned but if it doesn't it is ok. Goals for me are motivators and my when I start training for LP that's going to be my part of my drive. Still, enjoying the ride and the day will be the main goal all along; next year I might accomplish my time goal or not, but when I can accomplish my main goal I'll be one happy dude!

I'm going to get into the coaching business, and I'm willing to take you on as the first client in the revolutionary "McFuzz's Just Finish" Ironman training program free of charge.

The training plan is pretty simple.  Swim twice a week, building up to a long swim of 4000-4500 yards in a wetsuit (ideally, breastroke so you can sight well) but don't risk a shoulder injury with too many yards.  Practice going slow so you don't overheat.  Ride a couple times a week on the trainer (can't have you jeopardizing your goal with a potential bike wreck) building up to about 7 hours in the saddle.  Throttle back to about 15 mph because that will reduce the chances of GI issues.  Run on the treadmill at least 30 minutes 3 times per week at a 13-minute/mile pace and walk 4-5 hours at least once a week.   Stretch properly and you shouldn't have any issues with tendonitis, PF, or ITBs on this plan. 

Race-day execution is a little more involved. 
When the cannon sounds, pause for 5 minutes and say a prayer grateful that you are healthy enough to compete and there are volunteers, spectators, and fellow athletes sharing your experience.  As long as you're praying, include a short request for nobody to get hurt during the day.  (This also gives the crowd time to get ahead of you so you're not mixing it up in the crowd and risking an injury or swallowing too much water.)  Target coming out of the water at 2:00. 
When you get to T1, pause for another prayer grateful to have finished the swim.  Change into the comfy bike clothes.  Before you head out of T1, check off your preparations against the checklist so you didn't forget anything, hit the port-o-john, and say a quick prayer for a safe bike ride for you and your competitors.  If all of this takes 15 minutes, you're still on track according to the plan.  Now go start riding.  I don't want you riding any faster than 20 mph (risking a crash) and stay as far away from other cyclists and weird things in the road (like signs ).  Keep your average around 15 mph if possible so your tummy doesn't get upset.  Don't be afraid to stop and use the port-o-johns throughout the day.  If you average 15 mph (7.5 hours) and  spend another half-hour taking care of business, you'll still be 15 minutes under the bike cutoff.  You should be rolling into T2 with a nearly numb butt, but a full tank for the "run." 
In T2, say another prayer that you were able to successfully complete the bike.  Change into your comfy running gear.  Review your T2 checklist and head out for the marathon.  With a 15-minute T2, you have a generous 6:30 to get through the marathon.  Run at the 13 minute/mile pace as much as you can, but don't be afraid to walk the aid stations to get food and water.  You only have to average 14:53 to finish before midnight.  Remember, your goal is to (officially) finish, so you don't want to do anything to jeopardize achieving that goal.  Be sure to thank the volunteers, officials, and spectators.  I'd encourage you to say an encouraging word or two to every triathlete you see during the course of the day.  Collect your finisher medal, but before you pose for the finisher picture, pause and say another prayer for a successful and fun day. 

I'm confident with your current fitness, you'd be ready to start today and I know you have the discipline to execute this plan perfectly.  I'll see if I can pull some strings and get you into IMKY this month (the longer you wait to race, the more likely some other life event--like a car accident--foils the plan).  

hmmmmmm, this post belies all the nice things you've written in this thread, McFuzz.  Seems you've taken a lot of what I've read are people's real race plans and seem to be mocking them.  At least that's the tone I get.  I thought we wanted the thread to move away from that direction

I see absolutely nothing wrong or mock -worthy with you faux "race plan."  If someone pays their $550 and that's how they want to spend their day, more power to them. 
2009-08-14 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2348659

Marvarnett - 2009-08-14 9:25 AM

The bolded above is the problem!  He doesn't think you suck.  Your time has no bearing on his time.  He is disapointed in HIS performance, not YOUR time. 

I don't think anyone the finished behind me sucks.  For ME it's about the effort put out on race day, not the time that produces.

Sax, I kinda agree with Dan here.  I have friends that are faster than me that are dissatisfied with their performances (and some that like to do well but are happy to be racing), but I never get the vibe or think that they think I suck.

Now, my opinion of my own abilities (or lack thereof, at least the terrestrial ones), that's another story
2009-08-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2348659

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Marvarnett - 2009-08-14 11:25 AM

Yeah, it's not like he walked over to you and said,"I sucked today....but at least I beat your sorry a@#!" LOL!
2009-08-14 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2347746

Regular
Bronze member
losta - 2009-08-13 10:12 PM Why do you feel it's your business to state what someone's goal should be? As many have said we all come from different places in life and have different abilities and talents. To finish is a great goal for a novice not knowing how all the stars will align on their big day. Validation comes in many forms even those you don't respect or agree with. Isn't this web site called beginner triathlete? It's not called extremely experienced triathlete is it?

Geez, I really think people are missing the point of the original post.  I think that the issue was not about what is or is not a valid goal for anyone, but about whether sometimes people are afraid to really own their biggest and most challenging goals.  I think the post was about when people say "I really just want to finish," and then say "but really I want to finish in X amount of time and won't be happy if I finish slower than that," and they say in small print with a quiet voice like its a secret that they're really afraid to own.  I've seen that in lots of posts from people preparing for their first sprint, their first Oly, their first HIM, and their first ironman.  I've seen it from people with race times so fast I could never imagine how they do it, and from people who are slower than me.  So McFuzz was NOT talking about people who say "I want to finish, and enjoy myself, and that is success for me."  That is an admirable goal.  He was really talking about people who say that, and then follow that statement with a "but really, I'll only be happy with ...."

I think the issue raised in the original post was, do we limit ourselves when we are afraid to embrace all of our goals wholeheartedly?  And I think that it is a great question.  I would really have liked to see more thoughts on the actually question rather than people getting defensive.  I think that this question really speaks to all of us, FOP, MOP, BOP, people who train 15+ hours a week and those who train less than 5, those for whom triathlon is the end all be all expression of themselves, and those for whom it is a healthy activity in a much larger life.  And I think it applies to goals totally unrelated to triathlon, goals around education, professional and personal development, and family life.  Are there ways that we are afraid to truly reach our ultimate potential, whatever that may be, even as we are willing to work hard to achieve some important goals along the way?  That is what I would like to see addressed, because it is a powerful topic.

With regards to triathlon, having the twin goals of finishing a race, and possibly finishing in a certain amount of time are not necessarily mutually exclusive or competing goals, as other people on this thread have pointed out.  I think that the question is, why is it harder for people to say I want to achieve a certain time, and say it loudly, if that is important to them, when they can say loudly that they want to complete the race.  Is it that by naming a time goal, it makes it harder to be happy with the end result, if that goal isn't met, than if the time goal isn't named and the race itself was completed? 
I wonder if part of it has to do with the way that many of us view the idea of failure.  Do we get discouraged and give up, or get down on ourselves and depressed if we don't achieve a goal?  Or our we resilient enough to learn from the failure and move on?  For example, I really wanted a PR in my most recent race, I knew what it was, and I had trained really well for it.  I thought that it was very possible that I could achieve it, so I set that as my goal for the race.  And in the end, I failed to PR.  (And mind you, I am MOP on a good day, and my PR would be laughable to some, but for me it is what I want.) My first thought was to get discouraged and feel bad about my failure.  But then I stopped to look at what happened, why I didn't achieve it, and to start making plans for what to do about it next time.  So of the reasons were thinks that were totally out of my control, and so I had to learn simply to appreciate the power of nature in a way I hadn't before, and other things were totally in my control, and I identified things to differently, so that I can achieve my goal in the long term.  So ultimately the failure didn't lessen my enjoyment of the race, I still had fun, I still hurt, I still was proud of myself, and I think that I'm a better triathlete, and perhaps a better person for having not achieved my goal than had I achieved it, because I've got more experience in dealing gracefully with setbacks.

And I think that that gets to the heart of the issue.  I think that sometimes people only tend to name the goals they have that they are most sure that they can achieve, and are afraid to state the goals they have that they think they may be more likely to fail at.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing a goal and not obtaining it.  But it seems to sometimes bring shame to people.  That is sad.  Can we learn how to take proud in both our successes and our failures, so long as we have done our best?  Of course it always feels much better to achieve something that to fail, but how else can we really grow, if we aren't willing to take the risk?
Erica
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Just finish" as a goal Rss Feed  

of 4