Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 21s
Overall Rank = 140/303
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/38
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel & cliff bar. Drank some Gu2O. Walked about 1/2mi from parking to transition area and set up. Kept thinking I was forgetting something, but then just told myself "Nope, I'm prepared."
Event warmup:

Did a 10-15min jog w/some strides and did a short swim to test out the pond. Water wasn't bad, but I realized what it's like not to see underwater--wish I had had the chance to do some more of that before the first race.
Swim
  • 15m 57s
  • 850 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

First open water swim (ex-some training in the Caribbean--doesn't count as that's crystal clear water), so I learned a lot. I was mostly worried about getting kicked or grabbed, but not seeing where I was going turned out to be the bigger issue. Sighgting was a challenge and I was off course several times. About half-way through the swim I finally relaxed and realized I would just have to work my way through--no big deal, I can swim this distance. I still had navigation issues, but I calmed down quite a bit. One exception was after getting my ankle grabbed. It felt oddly different afterwards and I was affraid I had lost the timing chip band. Had to stop and make sure it was there (not that I could have done anything about it of course :)). Came out of the water and saw my mom & sisters yelling for me. OK, hard part's over now...
What would you do differently?:

More open-water practice. Remain calm and maintain better focus on long smooth strokes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Had to sit down to get the wetsuit off, but I don't think that cost me too much. Other than that, went okay. Used a small towel to wipe my feet and got my socks & shoes on--waited until I was on the bike to tighten the shoes. Grabbed a couple GUs and put them in my pocket. Put on sunglasses & helmet and ran out towards the mounting area. Saw Kathy & the kids this time too--high fived them. Got passed the mounting area, hopped on and got going pretty easily.

Work on quicker wetsuit removal. Get up to full speed and out of the start area congestion before tightening the shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 31s
  • 18.7 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Other than the first or second place woman who motored past me early on the ride, I spent most of the time doing the passing. I felt good and was holding above 20mph for most of the first half of the ride. About half-way through, I used one of the gels. There was some cross-head winds for much of the second half which slowed my speeds to high-teens to low-twenties, but I still felt good and just geared down when I needed to. This was a very flat course--no hills to speak of.

A few miles from the transition, I heard the dreaded hiss. Sure enough, I had a flat on my rear tire. It was a small, sharp puncture (glass, sharp stone?) that I could see on the tire as it was losing air. Worked reasonably quickly (for me--need to get better at this) in getting the wheel off, tire unseated and old tube out. I took a glueless patch I had and put that inside the tire to cover the puncture and got a new tube in. I decided to use the hand pump since I had never tried a CO2 before. But I didn't think that the tire had enough pressure and I couldn't remember how far I had to ride from there. So then I took out the CO2 and used it--obviously I should have gone with this first--easy as pie. Looking at my HR data, it looks like this (mis)adventure cost me about 12-13min. I'm sure I should be able to cut this in half.

Passed a few people heading home--probably wasn't more than a couple miles back to transaition. Also took my second GU to fuel up for the run and finished the rest of my drink bottle (used 1 full bottle of GU2O for the ride which was most of my hydration for the day).

Oh, had a few words of encouragement from riders passing me while working on the flat, including a "Nice uniform!" call. Go Team Javelin! I would later high-five him going opposite directions on the run--cool.

Not pop the tire? ;) Use the CO2 from the start. Continue to work on being more efficient overall on changes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I had originally planned to take my feet out of the shoes on the bike and go to transition in socks, but we had to run a few hundred yards over sand, dirt & stone. I didn't want to do that in my socks, so I just ran with the shoes on. Only cost me a few seconds probably. Had to unload my pocket which had the blown tube stuffed in it, but other than that the transition went smooth.

Maybe leave the sensor on my footpod turned on at the start of the race. I had to stop briefly heading out of transition because I remembered I had not turned it on yet.
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was on packed dirt and sand. It was a little rough in spots--not consistently level--but not too bad. Basically a flat course, with a gentle upward bias on the way out and down on the way back. Passed a lot of the people who had passed me after my flat and felt pretty good. Thought I would be able to pick up the pace at the turn, but it was sunnier and hotter now so I think that drained me some. I really didn't change my pace until maybe the last half-mile.

Maybe try to drink some at the turn instead of just dumping water on my head.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to see my family and cheered in my sister a few minutes after me. (She had a great day too. Finished just over 2hrs despite breast-stroking the whole swim--panicked worse than me in the OW.) Finally went to get something to drink and then cheered in our friend Greg before partaking of the post-race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The flat tire--even getting one, I could learn to fix this faster. And the swim--I can do a better navigation job and will work to calm myself earlier in the race.

Event comments:

This was the first year this race was run. I'm told the organizer usually runs a pretty tight ship on his races, but this one seemed a little sloppy in the pre-race stuff. We got off late, but only about 20min or so. Overall, I think they did a good job and hopefully will iron out the "kinks" for the 2nd Annual.

Despite the flat, I met my time goal and had a great time. Even the flat I felt I handled as well as I could given my experience (or lack thereof). Hopefully I learned a few things that will help me in the future.

Last updated: 2004-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:57 | 850 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/38
Overall: 62/303
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: One-lap, clockwise course with an in-water start
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:31 | 18.7 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/38
Overall: 239/303
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One-loop, flat course on local roads. Roads not closed to traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:46 | 04 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 59/303
Performance: Good
Course: Out-and-back run on packed dirt and sand trail
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 12:44 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: New Jersey Devilman

2005-05-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: #158342

User image

Veteran
Parsippany, New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman
Nice report John!!

Bummer about the Flat, but way to go and get back in the race!

Good Luck with the rest of your Summer, Training/Racing.

Matt

Edited by Matteight 2005-05-16 1:24 PM
2005-05-16 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Damn John!  You kicked BUTT!  NICE race, great times, even with the flat!  And I didn't know you were on Team Javelin! 

One hell of a swim time too for going off course!

2005-05-16 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
great job man! we gotta get together for a ride/run!

Edited by maxmattmick 2005-05-16 2:46 PM
2005-05-16 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Hey John, thanks for the post onto my race. Nice swim and impressive overall time considering the flat...I think I saw you (and your family) when you finished? Were you wearing yellow and were they standing off the the right-hand side near the finish line? My friend and I were waiting for his wife right there.
-Tim
2005-05-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #158498

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Hey Tim, I wore a Team Javelin uniform--mostly orange & black, but some yellow too I think.  My family & I were hanging out next to the transition area chute (in swim/out run) just behind the finish line most of the time--though we were off to the right of the line while waiting for my sister to come in.

Oh, and on the swim Cathy, the distance might be off (almost definitely shorter).  It was advertised as a 0.6mi swim, but the half-IM was a little more than 2x our swim so it was probably closer to 0.5mi or so.  I might have swam 0.6 though

Edited by JohnnyKay 2005-05-16 3:15 PM

2005-05-16 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations! I'm impressed you did not get rattled by the OW swim or the flat. Way to keep your cool!
2005-05-16 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
i'm pretty sure you were next to us for a few minutes waiting at the finish. heck of a race. that is a great time for a veteran racer with no flat!
2005-05-16 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Nice race even with a flat!

As far as wetsuit removal, I did a practice tri last weekend & a very experienced triathlete watched me struggle w/wetsuit...she suggested peeling it down & then, while standing, stepping on it w/your foot as you pull out opposite foot & repeat until your out.

2005-05-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: #158527

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Man John, 7:26 on sand!!!

I think you're going to be good at this tri thing.
2005-05-17 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
good job John....

I would have lost my cool if i flated... i would have never changed it, i would have packed it in..good for you...

2005-05-17 2:16 PM
in reply to: #159140

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Nice Race John ...I chatted briefly with a guy who was in Team Javelin gear before the race ....and now I assume it was you ....what a funny coincidence.
2005-05-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #159157

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
There were a few Team Javelin people there.  But if it was a relatively tall (6'2", goofy looking guy with blond hair...that's me.
2005-05-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: #159162

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
yep, it was definatley you ...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Rss Feed