Orlando, FL
United States
Danskin
Total Time = 1h 09m 25s
Overall Rank = 325/1110
Age Group = Mixed
Age Group Rank = 24/229
Pre-race routine:

what a f-ing nightmare. Flight got in very late on friday night, and we waited for over an hour for our luggage by which time the Disney people had long since left without us, so we wandered around the airport until we finally found a silly looking wooman with a big white hand thing who told us, "it's ok now, I'm here to take care of you..." in this syrupy Stepford voice... There was a LOT of overall disorganization with the Disney people, our hotel SUCKED, was very dirty (shaving cream all over the door, empty bud can in trash, bathroom floor so sticky we had to wear shoes....) Spent most of Sat wandering around trying to calm down.

the shipping of bikes was smooth, but I never bothered test riding it, so the seat was way too low which I discovered mid race. NOt cool, a stupid tactical error which could have been avoided. I learned SO much this race, I am happy to have had the experience.
Event warmup:

not much. walked around, found my mom, a few stretches and splashes...
Swim
  • 08m 5s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was not prepared for the open water. I was a bit cocky about it going in, after all I was practically raised in the ocean, and thsi was a lake, a warm lake. But I wasn;t prepared to be mauled, pulled at, and to hear people hyperventilating and screaming around me. I am glad I finally agreed to start out front in my wave as K had encouraged me to do. I spent a lot of time windmilling in the very bginning just to get away, but by the 1st buoy I was calm, and just focuses on good gliding and tight abs, I know exactly what I need to work on, speed work, and more open water practice. It's so cold here in WI still I think a wetsuit is inevitable. My mom said I was 4th out of the water in my heat so that's fun to know.
What would you do differently?:

not sure yet. more relevant training would help. If I could do it over I might have used earplugs to drown out people's voices. I also think I should not be competing in mixed age groups. we went out last, and by that time I was already mentally tired.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

very frustrating T area. lots of people milling around, I know Danskin is supposed to be friendly and not competitive, but that doesn;t mean you can stand around in the middle of the bikes and giggle and chat. I was also surprised at how long the run was from the water to bikes. my feet got pretty scraped up during tha part, and I was slightly impatient with women who were walking up the hill, I couldn't get past them.

hmmm. maybe yell to people up ahead (nicely!) to get over? also now I know I need to really preview at every aspect of the course carefully. It never ocurred to me to examne the running surface and to imagine how it would feel to run on barefoot
Bike
  • 37m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

argh. this was frustrating too. I don;t think of myself as super competitive but there were so many people just sort of coasting along, it was very hard to navigate/pass them, especially since there were some groups of 3 riding abreast. One of these people in front of me ended up running into a cone and flying out into the returning riders coming the other way. my heart rate soared higest at that momenT. The no passing zones were also a pain bc they were at teh beginning and end, right when I really felt like turning it up. At the end I looked at my clock and I was going 8mph for almost an entire 1/4 mile! Oh well, it was a confidence builder for me, and I know that I will NEVER race on such a flat course again. I did enjoy all the supportiveness and yelling, lots of women screamed nice things as I passed them, and when I got passed once, the rider said, "Come on, stay with me!" which I did until teh tuirn around, but man I screwed that up. I had to slow way down (I was scared I'd fall) and then I could NOT accelerate out of the turn as fast as she and I got dumped. Then I rode for about 3 miles by myself which was at first fun, I "humped it" (I learned that new term. gross) but then I got lonely.

dunno. try and relax and not get uptight at other people? maybe?

TAke the damn bike out for a test ride after it gets rebuilt by a complete stranger. It was hard riding with the seat too low, and it never occured to me to get off, find my allen wrench and fix it. I thought ," what the heck, 9 miles is cake!" but my knees were tired.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

too scared to try and jump of fmoving bike, plus, the chute was crowded, and people just stopped right in the middle! I wanted to dismount and run it to the rack, but I couldn't, too many people.

i really need to practice more.
Run
  • 19m 6s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

took 2 walk breaks at water stops. my hip and knee seemed fine, but it took over a mile to feel "good" by then, I was almost finished.

don;t think I needed those walk breaks. should have picked it up as soon as I felt "good." Pick out a landmark before the race so I know exactly where to crank at the end. I waited too long.
Post race
Warm down:

uh, none.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

first timer mistakes.
not enough practice of the T's and with racing with other people all over the place.
3 nights in a row of less than 6 hours sleep, (although adrenaline is cool!)

Event comments:

i gave 100% mental energy, but I ran out! I felt more mentally tired than physically tired at the end. I was very disappointed with the lack of communication between my hotel (Disney) and the race (Danskin,) and was underwhelmed by the expo and post race activities. More experienced racers said Dasnkin was atypical in both regards. LOVED seeing the survivors go off first, (I got teary) love love love Sally Edwards and the premise that anyone can do a tri. Suprised myself a lot, saw some ugly characteristics come back, and I see this whole lifestyle as away to really cnotinue working on being the best I can be, athletically, and as a human being. Also, I should lose some weight. really. I'm gonna pay for this extra weight onhilly bike courses...

Last updated: 2005-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:05 | 400 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/229
Overall: 136/1110
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:18 | 10 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Overall: 496/1110
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: super flat and straight out and back. very untechnical except for the part where you had to dodge other people who weren;t paying attention.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 17
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:06 | 02 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 321/1110
Performance: Average
Course: fun thru magic kingdom, totally flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 5:38 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: Danskin-Disney

2005-05-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: #158646

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: Danskin-Disney

Congrats on becoming a triathlete! That's too bad that people were soooo laissez-faire about the whole thing. A fun attitude is one thing, slacking and getting in others' way is another.... You are so gonna kick the crap out of your Danskin time at your next tri!!!!

Great job, Hollis! Sooo, when's your next one?!

2005-05-16 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations on your first tri. You raced a good race and learned some important lessons.
2005-05-16 6:50 PM

User image

Buttercup
We missed you at dinner! Bummer! Well... at least you had good weather!
2005-05-16 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Gald you had fun.  I was alittle frustrated that no one really seemed to be taking it AT ALL seriously.  Just a littel swim bike run.  I saw a bike with a baslet on it!!!  You have to learn to yell on your left...to get people out of your way on the bike.  I did that probab;y the whole bike.  Sally Edwards was totally cool.  Take care -SMO
2005-05-16 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!

A job well done, Hollis!  Sorry that the accomodations were crap.  Sounds like you learned a lot!

2005-05-17 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Thanks y'all, I loved every minute of the race- I can't wait for the next one which was July 10, Danskin Chicagoland, but I just registered for one on June 19, the Wisconsin Triterium:

http://www.triloop.org/

join me! (behold- the power of cheese...)

2005-05-17 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Congratulations!!!!  And just think how smoothly your next one will go now that you've gotten the first one out of the way! 

And  - I'll be up at the Danskin in July!!!
2005-05-17 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations Triathlete! Looks like you learned a lot of stuff to carry with you for your next race (and those beyond). Keep up the great work!

-Frank
2005-05-17 1:22 PM
in reply to: #159057

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Well done Hollis!!!

Gosh, to travel half way across the country for your first tri took some courage.
2005-05-17 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on your race Hollis!  Sorry ya'll didn't make it to dinner with us on Saturday night. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin-Disney Rss Feed