Ironman North America
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 02m 36s
Overall Rank = 1713/2600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 255/354
Pre-race routine:

Had a good sleep two nights before. Had some trouble getting to sleep, but still woke up relatively rested.
Got up at 3:45 a.m. Ate at the foot of the bed, while FW slept.
Instant Oatmeal, one avocado, one hardboiled egg, one crusty dinner roll, water, some fig bars and some walnuts and almonds.
Went across the street to Tim Horton's and bought a small coffee/cream for me and something big and sweet for FW.
We then walked to race site. About 15 minutes. Got there just after 5 a.m.
most secondary bathroom business comepleted before leaving hotel.
Event warmup:

Dropped off special needs bags, got 1153 body marked.
Walked into athlete area. Found someone with a pump and inflated Dirty Girls Tires up to 115psi.
Some guy beside me had forgotten all his nutrition/hydration.
I gave him the bottle I used to fill up my aerobottle (he filled up with water) and two endurolyte pills.
I took two enduralyte pills and chewed on one Hammer bar.
Put my two cold 2-hour bottles of perpetuum on the bike. And took the plastic of my bento box and from on top of the Aero bottle.
Changed my gears to make sure they were at a low setting for an easier start.
Waiting in line to go to the bathroom. Did a little more business, and peed.
Chatted with friends. Put my dry clothes bag away, put on bottom half of wetsuit and walked into start area/beach over timing mat.
Saw FW and others. Went over for pictures. Kissed FW and got her to zip me up.
Swam about 100m. Splashed around. Stretched a little.
Peed in my wetsuit about 3 times.
Watched the pro start.
peed some more.
Seeded myself close to the buoys in the middle of the crowd and started swimming.
Swim
  • 1h 25m 17s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim of my life. (last year was 1:31:56)
Seeded myself right in the thick of things pretty close to the buoys, as opposed to the far left last year.
I was always in a big crowd, except for one part on the return where I went about 100m off course!!!
At one point, I looked up and all I could see was pink swim caps...in my age group, there are more fast women, than men in the water...I was so pleased.
Drafting was exceptional but I kept passing people. One woman punched me in the head and knocked of one side of my goggles. She yelled sorry!
It took me about 1 minute to get the goggle back to a comfortable position and to get over the panic of thinking I had lost my contact lens.
My swim on the homestretch, like at Stoney Plain. Was fast. I powered through it and swam until my fingers touched sand.
I got up. Took off cap and goggles, and top of wet suit. Found FW in crowd. Smiled waved and ran through the chute.
I don't know water temperature, but it was on the warm side. I overheated a bit and was occasionally pleased by swimming through some cool water pockets.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get even faster. Work a little more on my sighting. This was the best swim of my life.
Good strong kick - but I let some people lead me astray by having them "push" or "nudge" me off course as I avoided their flailing arms and frog stroke legs!
Transition 1
  • 06m 15s
Comments:

Ran into tent after getting my bag. Couldn't find a place to sit at first, but soon found one. Put on helmet and sunglasses. Dried off feet carefully and put on socks, cycling shoes. Had a volunteer help by putting my wetsuit away. put race belt on and ran to the bathroom where I had another good long pee. Grabbed my bike. Got sunscreen on. Mounted at the line and took off up mainstreet. Rode strong!

Picture perfect transition.
Bike
  • 6h 38m 47s
  • 180 kms
  • 27.08 km/hr
Comments:

Remember that one day before I left my bike at the transition, I discovered the derailler hanger was bent and I could not change gears smoothly. I got this fixed and had no trouble whatsoever!
for most of the course I had no problem and rode the perfect race, although I struggled, as usual on the hills. Passed lots of people. Started relatively slowly and built up from there. One water bottle at every aid station was poured over my head.
Nutrition included two 2hour perpetuum bottles, and a half of one at special needs. the Equivalent of 3 bananas, two hammer bars, about 4 bottles of water and about 12 enduralyte pills.
The bananas did the trick! No cramping!
Richter was long...total of five climbs. It was hotter than 31c (31 on the run) and smokey. Then when I got to Yellow Lake, the wind picked up. Head wind! I was struggling to break 30k downhill! and had to really push to go faster than 20 on the flats of the city...it felt like it would never end!
Hit 79km/hour down one of the Richter descents.
Overall strong bike ride. Dirty Girl didn't let me down.
Lots of flats and people passing out on the road. Combination of water over my head, pills and bananas and watching/feeling my power/energy levels got me a pb on this ride. Last year I did 6:59 in near perfect conditions.
Avoided crashing this year.
I also started the ride with some gum...I like that.

After the push beyond yellow lake, I had very little left in my legs. I wanted to spin the final 20k into town, but it just never happened.
FW was waiting for me near the top of Yellow Lake. What a surprise. It really cheered me up and got me over the hill. Too bad about what came
after!
One pee in a portable toilet.

Work on hills and work on hot rides...hmmmmm in Regina?
Transition 2
  • 06m 17s
Comments:

Pretty straight forward and very quick. Last year I think this took about 10 minutes.
They took my bike. I found my stuff. Ran into tent. Struggled a bit to get not out of bag, shoes on. Helmet off. Hat on. Gel, eLoad, inhaler in pockets. flipped around race belt and ran. Got slathered with sunscreen outside of tent.
I think I had a pee between bike and run.

Nothing picture perfect.
Run
  • 5h 46m 2s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 08m 13s  min/km
Comments:

From the moment I was out of transition, I knew this was going to be hard. I ran up main street and right away was focussed on heat management. Put two sponges under trytop shoulders and one under hat.
repeated this a number of times. Unfortunately, shoes got wet. My big toenail is toast and I got a blister on the ball of the same right foot.
Nutrition was hammer gel flask x 2. water, ice, pepsi 1/3 into the race some orange and some pretzels. Had a half bag of salt and vinegar chips at special needs.
I had trouble slaking my thirst at times. But I was careful to not drink too much, lest I overload my belly.
My run strategy was to walk the hills and the stations. But very quickly I was walking a lot more.
Very demoralized. I had nothing in my legs after the bike ride. My cardio was fine, despite the smoke.
My run form was great, when I ran.
I decided to try to push it a little on the return. I ran considerably more on the return...but not the hills and there seemed to be more uphills on the return!
Still managed a negative split. First half was 2:56:19, second was 2:49:43!
Morale was always good. I was on a high of pbs for both swim and bike, although I was a little tiffed that I had no run in me.
walked bits into town and then on the final 1k by the finish line, I picked it up like a madman and sprinted. That was fun. I left very little on the race course this time. Could have pushed just a little harder, but I pushed hard enough.

Found the inner fortitude to make it in less than 14hours!
Run more hills
Run more than 28k next time I train
Run more in the heat.
Run more and longer after bike rides.
Run more period.
Post race
Warm down:

FW caught me in finish chute. Kissed and hugged me, took me through the pictures and and sat me down in the park. I should have gone into the water but it was not accessible. Had some cookies. Water and two slices of pizza. tried to stretch, but gave up. Just hung out for a while and chatted. Then we walked, with bike and all equipment the 15 minutes back to motel. This was my active recovery?
Had a Guinness in the Motel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, the smoke, the hills!!! and the lack of training. Running specifically was my key limiter. If I had the run experience in me, I could have run through the difficult end of the ride. Apparently, though, many people had tough runs.

Event comments:

4000 volunteers. Had to get that in somewhere.
I'm writing this the night after the race. It was one of my worst experiences - during the run and one of my best experiences, during the run.
I felt a little like I did during the tail end of my first ever century in my early 20s or my 30 day hiking trip though the Appalachians before that.
I felt like I had bitten off more than I could chew. Like I should stick to short distances only.
But I also felt great about my swim and my ride and my transitions and saw through them a bit of hope for improving myself further - when I start focusing on my run.

Because of the terrible weather in Regina all winter, spring and summer, I focused, perhaps a little too much on swimming and biking. The results certainly showed themselves.

I could have pushed a little harder on the run. The little voice made me walk, perhaps more than I should have.
But I never lost faith - although I questioned why I signed up again for next year!
This was a great proving ground for my potential. There is a lot of hard work ahead of me and I'm almost looking forward to it.

Last updated: 2008-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:17 | 3800 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 293/354
Overall: 2030/2600
Performance: Good
Never felt stressed. Very aggressive group of swimmers. Biggest swim start ever! 2600 swimmers.
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: One loop triangle on Lake Okanagen. One of the houseboats (turn around area) was not there, so a sail boat took its place. The other houseboat was there. So out, around boats and back towards the peach. Crystal clear water with a mostly sandy bottom. Weeds in the deep. Some rocks near finish.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:38:47 | 180 kms | 27.08 km/hr
Age Group: 268/354
Overall: 1630/2600
A little trouble breathing because of smoke in air around yellow lake. This is from extant forest/hill fires.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Ironman Canada course. Nuff said. Lots of hills. Probably toughest NA course - after LPlacid, and Silverman.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:46:02 | 42.16 kms | 08m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 253/354
Overall: 1768/2600
Performance: Below average
Very smoky, but that kept the heat of the sun down. No wind at all. Very still and difficult conditions. Cardio was not bad.
Course: Out and back from Penticton to OK Falls. Lots of hills. Crap, lots of hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-01 12:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Ironman Canada

2009-09-01 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2381846

User image

Winnipeg
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada

Nice a beer to cap the day! Awesome. Another great race & Ironman no less. Great job & it sounds like a great support team helps you through.

Did you sign up again?

2009-09-01 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Big man hugs buddy, way to go! Special handshake for FW too.  Means so much more when family is there.
It truly was funny when they announced the Spindoctor was coming through!
2009-09-01 10:01 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey man congrats on another PB and on being a double Ironman!!
2009-09-01 10:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-01 10:40 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great work. ANd your looking forward to you next one!! Thats the best!

Congrats on a great one.

2009-09-01 11:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Good for you for helping out your fellow triathlete at the start - I can't imagine the panic in realizing you forgot all your nutrition!! Awesome work out there ... nice to see your morale stayed good during the run even if things weren't going as you wanted at that point. 

I actually saw you cross the finish line! Just happened to be watching the video stream for about 5 min before and after the 14 hr mark ... would have cheered louder if I had caught your name being said and realized it was a bt'er crossing!

2009-09-01 11:41 AM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Terry, SIR, congratulations!
Awesome result showing all the hard work this year and determination during the race. Just like Bopper, I don't know why all the hoo ha about the time. You have improved a lot and had a faster bike split. Isn't the run connected with the bike somewhat?
You are an inspiration and a tough act to follow.
2009-09-01 1:38 PM

Champion
MA
Terry...great to briefly meet you.

Sweet on the PBs on a tough day. Wow you negative split the run a lot..impressive.

It was a tough day all around!

Have fun doing lots of run training for next year~
2009-09-01 2:47 PM

congrats on another ironman....glad you are comfortable in a sea of pink swim caps! awesome job and congrats to fw for gettin ya through another season...she deserves a fancy umbrella drink Laughing
2009-09-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2383053

Regular
I've been so looking forward to your race report! Fantastic pbs on the swim and bike, and your set-up and transitions were so professional (I'm taking notes for myself on this). You really had a plan and followed it, very successfully.

Wow, that's a lot of peeing beforehand! Usually once in the water is enough for me (and I've got a hot-rod kidneys with an economy-sized bladder, too) How much coffee did you have?

Bananas rock on the bike! I ate a banana at nearly every aid station at CDA, and I thought I would never eat another banana again (it only took a week to crave one again).

Don't be too hard on yourself on the run. You so right that Saskatchewan didn't make preparing for heat easy on anyone.

We had, what, one day?, of hot weather (above 30 degrees C) before IMC. If you blinked, you missed it. I got the impression that a lot of people had a hard time with the heat at IM Calgary 70.3 precisely because there was no opportunity to train in it.

Besides you cut more than 15 minutes off your previous race!! That's awesome! I'm so glad for you!

2009-09-01 4:35 PM

Fantastic job on Sunday. I always get inspiration from your logs, and the training you did this year paid dividends on the big day.

I too will join the chorus that your run wasn't as bad as what you made it out to be. You did your best with the training that you could do. You made a friend on the run. You had the mental toughness to get the race done - and with a smile.

And a high-five to your FW, who was there for you all year. You're a lucky guy! (As are any of us who benefit from supportive a family.)

I look forward to continued inspiration in your next training cycle. In the mean time, enjoy your family time and savor a job well done.

Congratulations.
2009-09-01 11:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

Well done Terry!  I heard from others that it was a tough day out there.  We had a tough winter and everyone suffered this summer because of it.  You did an awesome job!

2009-09-01 11:53 PM

Master
Port Moody, BC
Great effort out there, coming out from the place that rhymes with fun out to the hills, that is an AWESOME run! That heat was torture! Great job on turning out a great PB!
2009-09-25 2:21 PM

Veteran
Quebec city
Congrats Terry!  Seems like you had a great race and lots of fun.  Bravo for helping someone out with the bottle situation as well.  You are an even faster Ironman now!   Respect.
2009-09-26 9:48 PM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Excellent neg split on the run and seems your hydration was good.  Good race Ironman hope to be there in 2011.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Canada Rss Feed