World Triathlon Corporation
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 14m 18s
Overall Rank = 1368/2388
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 48/89
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Louisville on Thursday morning and met my parents and their friends Frank and Sue. They were camping at the KOA just South of Louisville. We grilled out steaks and hung out talking about plans for the rest of the weekend. I slept horribly in the camper. I was glad to check in to my room at the Hampton and have a big comfy bed all to myself!

Friday: I got up early and drove down to the swim practice and met up with Courtney and Kraig. I swam 1 loop and felt pretty good. The water was calm and smooth. We then headed over to registration and packet pick up. What a long process that was. Got all of my stuff and walked around the expo for a brief period but I was really ready to take a nap. So I went and checked in to my room and walked a few blocks to get a sandwich. Came back and crashed for a few hours. My parents and company picked me up and we headed out to check out the course. First stop was the swim start. They had $1.99 margaritas at Tumbleweed (right at the start) so we sat over looking the dock and I watched them drink. :) Next up was transition for a quick peek and then on to the finish. Well the finish is at 4th street live, so of course we found a pub and I watched them drink some more. haha. They dropped me off at the athlete's meeting just in time for the briefing.

Saturday: I biked part of the course with Courtney and Katie, about 30 minutes. Then we headed over to the underpants run down by the swim exit. This was a run dedicated to a triathlete who was hit by a drunk driver during a race this past summer. Back at the hotel I got all my gear bags ready for drop off and my bike and headed over at about 1:00 to transition. No line, no wait just in and out pretty quick. I had to bring something back later that day to put in my bike gear bag and the line to get in transition was insane. I, of course didn't have to wait since I already dropped my stuff off earlier, but I wonder why so many people wait until the last minute. My ATC race support and I ate at Buca di Beppo where they told the server it was my birthday. So I was sung to and given a giant cupcake. Yum. The cupcake was delicious. Also, they gave me a good luck/congratulations present. The fun had already begun and the race was still 12 hours away! Food, beer, cake, and presents! Back at the ranch I got the rest of my stuff together, i.e special needs and my morning nutrition. Was asleep by 10!
Event warmup:

No warm up unless you count the endless walking. I was dropped off at transition at 5:00AM (thanks Ron!) and then walked to the swim start after I was sure my bike was all ready to go. Well, the walk was about a mile but when it's chilly and dark and you know you have 140.6 miles ahead of you it feels a little longer. And it was, only because of the amount of people already in line when I got there at 5:50. I had to walk another 3/4 mile to the end of the line where I sat my stuff down and started eating my breakfast. Then I needed to go to the bathroom. Shit. Another 3/4 mile walk back to the porta pots but the line was so long I turned and went back to the line with only one porta pot. Thinking it was shorter so it will go faster. No such luck. After waiting for 30 minutes I walked back to the road where my stuff was and headed down to the train tracks. I should have done this all along but I was trying not to be gross. As soon as I got back to my stuff the line started moving and it was getting close to race time. I talked to the people around me and was very relaxed. I wasn't nervous or worried or anything. I was comfortably numb, without all the drugs. :)
Swim
  • 1h 40m 25s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is exactly what I thought I would do. As soon as I jumped in I thought "holy shit, you're doing an Ironman!" then I focused on the swim. I couldn't see the buoys so I just followed people out to the end of the island. It was pretty crowded through the canal. The water here was particularly nasty as well with some very cold spots that gave me chills. Who knew sandbars existed in rivers? When we came upon it I just kept swimming because there was no way my feet were going to touch the bottom of that river. No way. As soon as I rounded the turn buoy I was relieved to be out of the canal and headed towards the finish. What I didn't realize was just how long it was going to take and how much longer it was going to feel. It was definitely a contact swim and at one point I kicked some guy who must have been made of rock. My toe hurt for a few minutes, so I hope I didn't hurt him. Finally I could start seeing the crowds along shore and I thought I was close. Nope. I just kept swimming even though all i wanted to do was be out of the water. Finally, and this time it was final, the swim exit was right in front of me. Woot! Done with event number 1.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster? I had to stop to pee once during the swim, so learn to swim and pee. Other than that I just need to get faster. I sited perfect and hugged each buoy.
Transition 1
  • 07m 18s
Comments:

The run to transition definitely took a minute or 2 as I wasn't exactly sprinting. Got my bag and thought I was pretty quick. I think the chamois cream took a little longer to apply than it should have. heh.

Not sure. Move faster but how to achieve that is up for debate.
Bike
  • 6h 45m 45s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting out was daunting. So I pushed those thoughts out of my head and just focused on not pushing too hard on the way out. It was cold and windy but the road was flat. It could have been very easy to over do it here. The first 30 miles went by in a blur and all I really remember was how cold it was. After the out and back on 1674, I realized I forgot sunscreen. So I started asking aid stations if they had any but no such luck. This is also where the hills came out in full force but I was feeling good so they didn't seem too difficult. Yet. On the way thru LaGrange the first time I was feeling really good and saw all my peeps. The road headed out of LaGrange was not very fun and I didn't look forward to it the second time around. My first stop was to pee at about mile 65, right before special needs which I didn't need but I stopped and grabbed my aquaphor. I wasn't at special needs but for 45 seconds max. Back through LaGrange and I was happy it was my last time as I was starting to get tired. At about mile 90 I pulled over for 30 seconds to take a gu and finish off my gu chomps as I was getting dizzy. Not enough calories, not even close. I had only drank 1 bottle of infinit the entire ride at this point. I was drinking lots of water though and some gatorade. My feet were numb for this whole ride and my right foot, the foot I smacked in the swim, was throbbing. I started to freak out that I had broken my big toe or something and I wouldn't be able to run. I was very anxious to get back to transition and see what was going on. At some points in the last 40 miles, my foot hurt so bad I was in tears. I had to gather myself and just keep moving forward. I was so happy when I saw transition. Event number 2 done!

I really didn't stop but for a total of maybe 6 to 7 minutes, so again it all comes down to speed. I could have pushed harder out there but I didn't want to be dead for the run. Oh, the ONE thing I should have done is put on sunscreen. That was just stupid.
Transition 2
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Ran into the changing tent and found my foot was not bothering me, so that was great! Did the usual changing shoes, grabbing visor and gu and headed out. I also missed the sunscreen people AGAIN. I never even saw them.

Remember to take off my second pair of tri shorts before heading out to run. Otherwise, nothing.
Run
  • 4h 36m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great coming out of T2. I remembered some advice I had gotten and ran without breathing heavy. I really had to hold myself back the first 6 miles or so because I just felt really good, but I knew that at some point I would need that extra energy. My goal going in was to not walk for the first 13 miles. If you don't count my pee break at mile 4(which I don't) I didn't walk until the 16 mile aid station. My stomach, which was my biggest concern, hurt pretty much from go on the run but it was very mild at first. The only reason for my walk breaks were my stomach, it was progressively getting worse as the miles added on. It was hard to drink anything other than water and after the early miles of the run it was hard to drink water too. My stomach had enough, but I wasn't finished yet and I knew I needed the fluids plus calories, so I forced down what I could and just kept moving. As the night started to set in I began my last few miles and I was just so excited to see the finish line, again. Only this time getting to run through it. My mind was pretty much turned off all day and so I just ran and enjoyed the last few moments I had out on the course of my first Ironman. You only get one first and I wanted to take it all in before it was all over. Being out on that run course was my favorite part of the day. I felt strong and it was just so cool to feel that good. I was loving every moment. Seeing my friends and family at the finish was a definite close second. Pure joy.

I wish I could figure out my stomach and why it likes to hurt me so much on the run. Being my first, I think I did everything right here. Sure there is room for improvement but I am happy with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to get food and my morning gear bag. Talked with people and hung out til midnight. Had a what felt like a long walk back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This being my first Ironman and wanting to really pace myself in all 3 events. My training was spot on and I think my race reflected that.

Event comments:

This was a top notch race. Amazing volunteers and plenty of aid stations on both the bike and run. The finish couldn't be at a better spot. Very nicely done.

Last updated: 2009-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:40:25 | 4224 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/89
Overall: 2009/2388
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suite.
Course: Start out in a cove on the inside of an island in the middle of the Ohio River. You swim upstream about a 1/3 of the way and turn back on the other side of the island and head downstream. A point to point swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:18
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:45:45 | 112 miles | 16.56 mile/hr
Overall: 1763/2388
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a small lolipop in the beginning, then out to LaGrange for 2 loops and back the same way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:36:11 | 26.2 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 1410/2388
Course: Out and back on a closed course through neighborhoods ending in downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-02 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2009-09-02 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2385476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations on such a great race!!
2009-09-03 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
What an amazing race you had - it was fun to read about your day. I knew you were going to rock that marathon, but I'm glad to hear you felt good (except the tummy) that whole time too.

Congratulations IRONMAN - awesome job! Cool
2009-09-03 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Good job Ironman!
2009-09-03 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA

Congrats!  You make it sound SO easy! 

2009-09-07 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
What a great race!  I'm so excited for you and what you've accomplished.  You were a diligent trainer and a patient racer and that's what it takes to have a good day at Ironman, finishing upright and smiling.  Good pic's too!

Congrats Aim.  Well done.

Cool

H.

2009-09-07 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
PA
great job!  You totally rocked that run!
2009-09-08 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2393483

User image

Master
Woodstock
You looked awesome everytime i saw you out there! Congrats on an awesome accomplishment!
2009-09-10 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Never too late to say congratulations! I think that weekend took more out of me than it did you.

So, what more can be said. You had an absolutely perfect race. Says a lot about how you train, and how serious you are about the challenges that you take on. Once you hit that run course, it was obvious that nothing was stopping you.. great, great run.. and you know how I feel about that.

Awesome job IronKrieg!
2009-09-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2398894

User image

Master

Way to go, Amy!  Awesome race!  We enjoyed tracking you from afar all day.

2009-09-11 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Congrats on your first...what a great RR.  Great job through out the whole 13 hours.  Look forward to reading your next IM report. :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed