United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = /3000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 and ate a good breakfast. Protein shake, bananna, three whole wheat waffles. Put on warm clothes because it was cold.
Event warmup:

Rode to the ride site at 6:30 which was about 100 yards away from the hotel.
Bike
  • 7h 15m
  • 100 miles
  • 13.79 mile/hr
Comments:

So we ride out of town at 6:15ish. Just starting to get light out. I was with my wife Michele, my friend Tim and his wife Karen. We were the only ones starting this early. Karen has a flat at about 15 miles. So we pull over right infront of this dumpy trailer with a homemade tiny town out front and signs all over, one reading stop your bitchin. So a small dog wanders over and we pet it and stuff then the little thing pees on my wheel, so I start screaming at it to go away. It wanders over to Karnen who is fixing her wheel and sticks his nose right in her crotch. We start bustin up and I fumble for the camera but miss the shot. So we get moving and make it to the first food stop. They had gatorade,water, trail mix, friut, pretzels. Thye others had PBand J's. We keep moving along at our solw pace and reach a very windy section, Tim and I find a nice Tandem bike to draft off of. We did not pull them on that stratch however. We had been pulling some other folks before that. Then we come to the next stop and Karen decides to move her seat up because she is having some leg cramping. Well she twists the screw right off and the clammp is gone. We have a brilliant Idea to ask some one in the sag wagon for thier clamp. These are people who have quit the race and are headed back to the start in a truck. We can't find one. So my friend Karen starts to get a little forceful and asks everlone again to taske them off so she can check. We finally fine one that fit but the lady does'nt really want to part with it. We offer 20 bucks. She says no I want the part back so we finally convince her that we will give it back and we are on our way after 40 minutes. We then come up to Heart break hill which is 15 % grade and I cruise up it past all the walkers. Myself< Tim , and Karen all make and my wife decides to walk it. I told her that was ok and she was ok with it. We get to the next section and the winds really start winding up. I was side ways for about 10 miles and it started to rain. We are now at mile 85. Then we start climing again into the wind but the rain stopped. We finish the climb and now we enter I-25, which is interstate for 8 miles on the shoulder. My wife is now freakin. We finally get off the highway and 3 miles to the finish. We went back to the hotel, changed clothes and went to dinner where we drank many Margs. We went home, watched a movie and drank more Margs. It was a great pain killer.
What would you do differently?:

Train on more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Margs and lots of them. Plus a nice hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

The day we are getting to leave, which was the next day. I go to hitch up the trailer and someone has stolen the hitch insert off of my car. So we have to go to pep boys to get another.
I don't want this to sound like a bad trip, It was a ton of fun to hang with my and friends and we had an absolute BALL!

Last updated: 2005-05-17 12:00 AM
Biking
07:15:00 | 100 miles | 13.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3000
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Big loop out of town and onto country roads. Several long climbs into the mountains and one 2 mile hill called heart break hill that was 15% grade. Some rollers through out and climbing back into town.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-17 9:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Santa Fe Century

2005-05-18 12:35 AM
in reply to: #159358

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Santa Fe Century
Congrats on your finish.

I hear you on the hills, I did the half a couple of years ago. There are a couple of brutal ones.

And the wind and cold...I was racing in a sprint Tri in Albuquerque the same day and was wondering if winter had returned.

Nothing a marguarita can't fix(or at least make it so you don't care.)
2005-05-18 1:57 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Great job on the 4 of you finishing the century with all those issues!  Good thing you all get along....

Funny stories....I think the margs were totally in order!

2005-05-18 8:56 AM

User image

New York, NY
Sounds like a great ride. I certainly wouldn't want a 15% grade for two miles in the middle of a century. It's amazing how even with so many troubles, a nice long bike ride is worth the trip!
2005-05-18 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Good thing we did at least TWO training rides!  Next year we'll have to double that to FOUR!  Come out to my neighborhood and we'll ride some little hills!!!!

Great job keeping it fun.  Hope the margs helped Michele get over the I-25 experience

2005-05-18 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Nice job!! Sounds like you guys had a good time despite all the mishaps.  Margs always make things better, don't they?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Fe Century Rss Feed