TNT productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m 21s
Overall Rank = 3007/3933
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 180/305
Pre-race routine:

Woke up oh so early. Took a shower and had some toast. Then my friend drove me to the site on her way to work. It was earlier than I wanted to be there, but if we got there much later the roads were going to be closed.

So I walked to my transition spot and was set up by 6am. Great. Tons of time to stand around! Michele stopped by to get her banana and I put the finishing touches on my transition. It was a bit cold standing around. I walked over to Michele's spot and chatted with her until about 0640 when I went to get in line for the porta potties. After that I stood around some more until my wave. Eventually wriggled into the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

None. You could not get in the water early.
Swim
  • 31m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

First, there is NO WAY this water was 72 degrees. I'm calling bullshit on that one. It felt about a few degrees cooler than my lap pool. So I'm guessing closer to 78. But, whatever. So your whole wave jumps into the starting pen and treads water until the air horn goes off. I seeded myself on the left hand side near the front.

Air horn goes off and we're on our way! Some minor pushing and shoving, but not bad. Serious lack of buoys. Everyone had sort of agreed to aim for the second arch, but it was a bit of a guess because you really could not see any buoys from the starting area. I had to work to keep staying left. We finally get to the bridge and I spy the buoy...even more left! I keep working that way and eventually get to it. Boy was there a traffic jam at the buoy. And then on the cross part there were tons of folks too. Very crowded. Once we rounded the buoy back inbound it thinned out again.

So, not enough buoys on the way back. I couldn't see any for awhile and had no idea if I was going in the right direction. Finally saw them and they were...yep, off to the left. Managed to work that way and it seemed like it took FOREVER for the turn buoy. I thought we were supposed to have the current at our backs on the way back but I am not convinced. Made it around the last two turn buoys and onto the ramp and out.
What would you do differently?:

Not suck. My wetsuit was pretty uncomfortable and I never got in a groove. Not a good swim. I suspect it was long. Times across the board were not speedy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Nothing special. I had a short run to my bike then a looooooooooong run with my bike. That would be my biggest complaint for this race...bike in and bike out were in the same corner. So if you had a spot really far away from them, you were screwed! Coming and going!

I left the shoes on the bike so I wouldn't have to run to Guam with my bike shoes on.

Nothing. 25th fastest in my AG...amazingly. Okay, could be 26th since another girl went 2:31.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow. I suck. How long did this take me? Absolutely crazy! I did okay getting into my shoes. Not very fast, but I haven't really practiced it lately. But it only slowed me down for a few hundred yards and then I was off.

This really just seemed like it took forever. Only a few truly significant things.

1. The idiot. We're headed back inbound on the second turnaround and I'm pedaling along on the right hand side. Suddenly this chick in the middle of passing me apparently sees someone she knows on the other side. Did I mention she was wearing PURPLE? Okay, so she throws her hand in the air and yells, "Wooooohooooooooooo! Go Team!" But apparently her bike skills SUCK and this causes her to swerve 3 feet to the right...stopping barely before hitting me. I could have reached out and touched her from where she ended up. Fucking idiot. If you can't steer your damn bike with only one hand on the handlebars, please don't endanger my life while trying to say hello to your friend. The next miles were anger fueled and fast.

2. Bike U-turn at the bottom of a frickin' hill? Are you freaking KIDDING me????

3. The roads. Yowsa. Several bike-eating cracks and holes...including one that was so huge and extended all the way across the road. I can't believe I didn't see anyone eat it on that one!

Otherwise, really not as crowded as I expected it to be. I was often scared people were going to cross over the yellow line. You had to ride so close to it and they were so close to it...scary.

Uh, ride faster????
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Made the loooooooooong jog back to my spot with my bike. Took FOREVER! Then I switched all my stuff and left...

Nothing. 166 in my AG. Probably lost most of the time putting on socks.
Run
  • 1h 11m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile splits:
1 - 10:25/164/171
2 - 10:54/164/172
3 - 11:25/163/179
4 - 14:50/159/190
5 - 11:21/166/180
6.2 -12:59/166/178
I'm just slow. I tried to go fast and my first mile was about 10:25. Second mile was slower. And at the second aid station just after the second mile the water felt like lead hitting my stomach and I suddenly needed to use the bathroom. But of course we'd already passed the first two on Hains Point and on the way back around there aren't any right away! Finally at the very very end of Hains I spotted a park bathroom. I believe it's the same one that saved me during MCM a few years back. Of course it was over 100 feet off the course...so I had to run all the way there, took forever inside, then ran all the way back to the course. But well worth it. I was able to speed up a bit for the last few miles.

Really nothing else to say. I am just slow.

Hope I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom!
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and water and such. Then I found this HUGE line that I thought was for food. And I was really hungry. Glad I kept walking to see what all the fuss was about. It was actually the line for transition. So I hit the food tent...grabbed a PB sandwich (with WAY too much PB in it) and some cookies and another water and sat down on the grass. Ate the food figuring the line would go down while I was waiting. It did not. So I ended up walking to the end of the line and waiting in it. Got my stuff and rode 48 minutes back to my friend's house. Mostly uphill. Joy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

We really don't need to go over this again...see any of my RR's from this season. This is my slowest Oly EVER. :(

Event comments:

Surprisingly well run despite the size. They picked very wide roads which really gave everyone a chance to spread out on the bike. I wish they had marked or covered more of the big potholes on the run. That would have been helpful.

Post race spread could have been better...when I'm done racing I don't want PBJ! I want crappy pizza! Grease! Beer! Bad things!

All in all, I really don't like doing races this big...way too much hassle for what you get. :(

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 54/305
Overall: 1338/3933
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promotion Sleevless
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:35 | 24.85 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 203/305
Overall: 3326/3933
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:54 | 06.21 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 240/305
Overall: 3498/3933
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2009-09-14 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2403406

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

Way to roll with it Jen.  I'm sorry it wasn't the race you wanted.  All you can do is come back and fight another day. 

2009-09-14 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Really enjoyed reading your race report!  Sorry it wasnt the race that you wanted, but hey YOU DID IT, which puts you ahead of about 99.9% of the rest of the US population!    I agree that the swim course must have been a little long, plus they added the time getting out of the water and running all the way to the entrance of transition to your swim time.

2009-09-14 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2404448

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Sorry you didn't have that great of a race overall.  But it was nice to meet you even if it was only briefly in the swim corral.  I thought I had an okay swim and it doesn't sound like it was as congested for me as it was for you, but I also wondered if it was a little long.  Oh well, we all had to swim the same course.

And yes, there were definitely some wheel-eaters out on the bike course.  I had to bunny hop at the last second a few different times to avoid getting munched!
2009-09-14 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!

great job jen!!

2009-09-14 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
We all had some issues with this one. Hope you enjoyed the trip anyway and sorry we never saw you. I thought the water was closer to 72 than 78 but I am a wimp!!

2009-09-17 9:46 AM

Pro
AZ
Yep! Ur still my bathroom sista!!! Way to stick it out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed