Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Death of a triathlete in Collingwood Ontario Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-14 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Death of a triathlete in Collingwood Ontario
This is a quote from my facebook feed from MultiSport Canada...

"On Saturday Sept. 12 Matheson Tatham completed the Olympic Distance Triathlon finishing 1st in his age group and 40th overall in a field of 294 athletes. Matt collapsed just past the finish line and while paramedics and friends were with him immediately, he passed away 35 minutes later at Collingwood General and Marine Hospital. We want to pass on our condolences and deepest sympathies to Matt's family and friends."

My thoughts are with this mans Family. 

2009-09-14 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2405816

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Death of a triathlete in Collingwood Ontario
This is sad.

Condolences to his family.

2009-09-14 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
2009-09-14 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
seen the news on multisport canada website.... unfortunate.
My thoughts are with his family.
2009-09-15 11:38 AM

hello all.
a freind of mine knew matheson through work  and told me about it.
I am "that guy" who collapsed at last years labuor day weekend Guelph lake II.  I didn't get to finish, having gone down 30 feet from the finish line.
The difference between me and matheson is really just luck,  and i obviously survived my ordeal after being VSA (vital signs absent) for almost 8 minutes.  I had immediate response from several medical professionals...only two of which were "working"  the day..the rest were spectators including a cardiologist,  er nurses  and firefighters.   Of course i am eternally grateful to these people and the professional organization and work of Suburu trisport series.

While condolences go out to the family,  i figure it was a good way die....if there ever is a good way.  doing something he loved and on a beautiful day.

I was unable to compete this year...having since undergone  open heart surgery in june for aortic valve replacement (the cause of my arrythmia and subsequent  cardiac arrest).  I did volunteer at some events,  and have now resumed swimming and biking.  hoping to compete again next season.

cheers
pipe
2009-09-15 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
This is really awful. Always gives me goosebumps to think about. But, if there is any solace, it is the hope that he passed while participating in something he adored. Even better still to think that he lived life as fully as possible.

2009-09-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2407364

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
pipe - 2009-09-15 12:38 PM hello all.
a freind of mine knew matheson through work  and told me about it.
I am "that guy" who collapsed at last years labuor day weekend Guelph lake II.  I didn't get to finish, having gone down 30 feet from the finish line.
The difference between me and matheson is really just luck,  and i obviously survived my ordeal after being VSA (vital signs absent) for almost 8 minutes.  I had immediate response from several medical professionals...only two of which were "working"  the day..the rest were spectators including a cardiologist,  er nurses  and firefighters.   Of course i am eternally grateful to these people and the professional organization and work of Suburu trisport series.

While condolences go out to the family,  i figure it was a good way die....if there ever is a good way.  doing something he loved and on a beautiful day.

I was unable to compete this year...having since undergone  open heart surgery in june for aortic valve replacement (the cause of my arrythmia and subsequent  cardiac arrest).  I did volunteer at some events,  and have now resumed swimming and biking.  hoping to compete again next season.

cheers
pipe

Thanks for sharing. It must've been very scary!

Way to go on the recovery and getting back out there - very inspirational!
2009-09-15 3:00 PM

probably more scary for everyone else...i kinda missed the whole CPR and Defibrillator thing.

from my point of view it was more like "what the hell?!!?!!?!!"   But my cardiac oddyssy though the medical system has been a positive one.

keep on tri-ing
pipe

2009-09-15 7:51 PM

Regular

I am most impressed on your recovery.  I participated in Guelph Lake II last year and had just finished my race when you went down.  It was a very emotional thing to watch and it is so good to hear things turned out well for you.  I would say you had an angel that day and with all the help of professionals near by...very very lucky.  I hope you have many positive adventures in the future in triathlons!   

2009-09-17 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
How very sad. 
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Death of a triathlete in Collingwood Ontario Rss Feed