United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 38m 58s
Overall Rank = 314/335
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well - unusual pre-race routine. Decided instead of spending the night at the race site to take the shuttle up the morning of. This translated into a 2:00 alarm 2:30 walk to the subway and meet up w/ shuttle at 4am for a 4:30am departure for the site - I know what was I thinking???
Event warmup:

This was actually nice, I ended up having alot of time after I registered to relax, set up transition and walk around the swim start - location was just beautiful!!!
Swim
  • 43h 25m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall good swim - had I known what was to come I would have stayed in the water!lol
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Race did not give T times on results but this felt good considering it was my first transition with bike shoes and clipless pedals. I also noticed severla folks in my row were not back yet so I knew I was ahead of the pack for the moment.
Bike
  • 3h 57m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

So, around mile 20 I was looking up from the road to "check out' the hill situation ahead and when I looked back down the shoulder of the road just stopped, concrete gone, gravel ahead - @ 17mph there was nothing I could do but wait for the impact, which came on my left shoulder//shoulder blade and back of my head - once again thank you helmet! Took about 10 min for the stars to go away and then another 5 of someone saying "oh my gosh your shoulder" before I realized the damage I did. Some angel out of nowhere brought some gauze and wipes and cleaned me up, By that time I realized I was probably ok to keeping going, but that I better HTFU or I might miss the cut off. As I started to get on the bike I realized my chain dropped so I spent another 5-10 minutes and finally another biker stopped to help me out. Got back on and kept on going. The adrenaline rush must have kicked in because the pain did not start until the run. Funny thing, if you back out the accident time, I would have eclipsed last years bike by almost 15 minutes, so even though the course was tough I have improved since last year!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure the road out front is clear before looking ahead - too much traininer riding this training season (thanks NYC weather)!

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

So, once I got back to T2 I knew I was pushing the cut-off so I ripped off what I could quickly put on the sneaks, grabbed the water bottle and went. Had to go to the bathroom but didn't want to lose anymore time

Should have taken some Advil - thought about it several times on the bike but forgot due to being in a hurry.
Run
  • 2h 54m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

So, tore through the first mile out of the park, got to an intersection where athletes were coming in but because I was one of the last competitors going out there was no one to follow, so I asked 2 teenage girls in toughman shirts (who appeared to be volunteering as they were cheering everyone going by) which way to go and they said straight down that road, I said "are you sure" and they said "yep" so off I went for about 1/2 mile and came straight to a dead end. WTF!!! So back I went, went to an adult volunteer who I explained what just happened and I got back "Well you look fresh, just go back the right way it's right over there..." I almost punched him! At that point I was ready to quit - I figured I'd be pulled off the course anyway, but I remembered this was a moment to act like an Ironman in the making and finish the race or be a wuss and give up - so off I went. At this point the shoulder pain was excrutiating and the headache was increasing by the minute, but I powered on. As I approached the loop at Mile 8 and swung around I saw a man riding w/ a bike next to him and as they approached I noticed the sign said "Last athlete of the Toughman", If I made it to the finish, I was going to finish 2nd to last, I almost started to cry, but I though about my friend Kristin who was doing whatever it took at IMWI at that same time and I thought about what she had gone through and decided at that moment I would finish, all I had to do was stay ahead of the man in the bike, so I started running again and I ran and walked and ran for the rest of the course. Everytime I ran my head felt like it would explode (I didn't know I had a slight concussion at the time) so I just kept walking fast, cussing alot and moving on. The aid stations were closng down and I could tell people were annoyed I was still out there, so often I felt like I had to explain myslf to them "Yea - crashed my bike earlier just trying to fininsh the race" - then they would be nice, but I realized how hard it must be for BOP just trying to get their race done and people annoyed at them about it. Anyway, managed to find my way back to the park as all the signs had been taken down and this great man Rob saw me coming from the Toughman staff - he asked if I was ok and I started to tear-up, I said I was but I probably needed to get to medic fairly quickly. He saw my shoulder grabbed my elbow and held it up and walked with me to the top of the chute then he said you go finish this race young lady and I will meet you on the other side at take to you right to the medical tent - you are one toughlady - this race was named for people just like you! I wanted to give him a big hug, but I couldn't lift my arm. So I crossed the finish line 2nd to last got my medal and collapsed in Robs arms.

Nothing, I have never been more proud of myself in my life!
Post race
Warm down:

So after getting the clear from the EMT's to leave on my own (yes, no one was here with me)and told to have my family wake me up every few hours through the night just to be sure I was OK, and getting alcohol poured on my wound (that was almost tougher than the race) and told I likely had an ACL strain and should get to a doc this week. I packed up my stuff, walked 1/2 mile to the Metro-North and rode back to Manhattan,then took another hour subway ride home cause I live in stupid Brooklyn now

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Umm let's see, bike crash, ACL strain, bleeding open shoulder wound, slight concussion, wrong directions - oh and the swarming bees at transition, but that was all :)

Event comments:

Overall, despite the logistics issue of getting to the race it was a great race and it is really "tough"! The staff and voluteers (for the most part) were supportive, gracious and helpful and the race director was very patient as I'm sure I drove him nuts leading up to the race with my pestering about the travel arrangements. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for a challenge, a beautiful race site and who has a car to get there! lol

Last updated: 2009-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
43:25:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/335
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Overall felt great about this swim, had my usual panic moment for a few seconds after starting but have leanrned how to manage it by getting into the rhythm. Loop course, coming back in I definitely had some waves to get through - tough. Made me a little concerned about FL, but not much I can do before then since there is no safe place to swim here after labor day. Anyway, shaved 3:00 off last yeras HIM time! woohoo!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:57:56 | 56 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: OMG! They MUST have named this race after the bike course because - this thing is out of this world difficult! On the way up in the shuttle several people who had come up for the practice ride mentioned how hard it was but when someone asked is it harder than Nautica and the response was - mmm, about the same plus on big hill, I thought I was in the clear - HAHA! The hills were eveil, painful and kept coming all the way to the last 1/2 mile - jees!
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:54:30 | 13.1 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly, hard - some trails - bad diractions!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Toughman HIM

2009-09-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2406019

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Toughman HIM

Way to act like an Ironman, Michelle! Hope you heal fast!!

2009-09-14 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Congrats on sticking it out and finishing the race!  Nice job.  I am considering this race for next year.  
2009-09-15 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
WOW! I just have to say that it would have been nice to say hello to you at this race because you are one tough triathlete! I think if I had crashed my bike and then gotten wrong directions on the run, I would have just given up. Especially on that part of the run when you get to the bottom of the dam, and realize you have to run to the top.

You say you are proud of yourself, and you really should be. With that kind of attitude you will do great at IMFL.

Heal up quickly!!
2009-09-15 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
WOW! That was epic. You have now officially finished the toughest race of your season. Great job. Heal up quick!
2009-09-16 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

What a race!  Good job getting yourself to the finish line!  Are they going to rename the race after you next year?

2009-09-16 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow!! You are incredibley inspiring. Anytime I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'm going to remember THIS race report, and you're amazing attitude, and just HTFU. You are TOUGH girlie!! Now please, go heal!!
2009-09-16 6:57 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Awesome report and great job. You kicked the races and won with mental toughness. I think I would have lost it on the volunteers. But good job keeping your cool.
2009-09-16 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Awesome. You are amazing. Congratulations on hopefully the hardest race you'll ever have to endure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toughman HIM Rss Feed