General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing Medals..Rally up? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-05-24 12:41 AM
in reply to: #162140

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Finishing Medals..Rally up?
H13 - 2005-05-23 7:10 PM

I think all you NON-MEDAL people are just talk.

You say it is "collecting dust" or "hanging in the closet", it must mean something or it would have been thrown out along time ago.

And guess what, there is not one, not even one, IRONMAN finishers medal on ebay, nor even a triathlon medal listed, but there are plenty of cheesy finisher shirts listed.  

HMMMMM...........

Actually you're wrong about an IRONMAN finishers medal not being on ebay.  Last year some guy put his KONA medal on ebay with a starting bid of $1,000.  The bid description was almost like a race report, and then went in to great detail on why he was selling it.  I can remember the whole story, but something about needing the money, yada, yada.

The discussions on Slow Twitch forum were of the same general consensus.  Who the he!! in his right mind would BUY a finisher's medal for a race they did not do.  Especially at that price.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=271386;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

2005-05-24 3:31 AM
in reply to: #161114

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, my two cents. I am a competitive person by nature. I also like to collect the T's at the events I enter. I compete to do my best at each race, It just so happens that I am blessed with some ablity in this sport, I have done 5 tri's and after a middle of the pack finish in both age group(45-49M) and overall in my first event last season the last four I have done I have 2 second place finishes, a third and a fifth in my age group, and as high as 17th overall. I am proud of my performances and want to win an age group at some point (really should have the last race, but that's a story for another time). I guess I don't see why someone can't be proud of an accomplishment and the medal that comes with it.
2005-05-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: #162194

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
teechur - 2005-05-23 8:00 PM

When you've gone from a perfectly sedentary life and morbid obesity to being an athlete, maybe you'll appreciate how much those trinkets can mean. Some of us never competed in a sport before and don't have walls of trophies. To be able to look at my medal and say "Yeah Tory, YOU did that" makes me happy. Do I feel pride without it? Sure I do, but I also like the feeling of having it placed around my neck and having someone tell me "Great job!"

Tory,

Congratulations on your transition, but you're not alone in your accomplishment. Many here come from the same "perfectly sedentary life and morbid obesity."  When I started I weighed 240 pounds (BMI of 36) and could not run a block, now I am a 190-pound "athlete" who has completed eleven marathons, dozens of centuries and several duathlons and triathlons. To me, I have even less reason to have my accomplishment substantiated by a stranger placing a trinket around my neck and telling me "Great Job." I'm rewarded every day, by the way I feel and the things I can do.

To address H13's comments, the medals I have saved are from my marathons and half marathons, and a few "big" centuries (El Tour de Tucson). Sure these mean something to me, every marathon medal represents four to six months of training and at least four hours of race effort. I couldn't imagine selling (or buying) a marathon finisher's medal, but check ebay after a big one (Chicago) and you'll see dozens for sale. 

I framed medals from my first four marathons, have the others hanging on my dresser (collecting dust ). But (more than "just talk" ) I have given away many generic medals recieved from various smaller events, and just could not imagine getting a medal for every 5K and sprint triathlon I did. It's hard enough keeping track of the bibs.

Most of these smaller races have less than 100 participants, very few have over 500. The set-up costs (for custom medals) alone would present an undue burden on the race promoters. Many already depend on sponsors to make or break their event, to have to find another "medal sponsor" would prove impossible. The result would be either higher entry fees or fewer races.

To counter the suggestion that those who don't want the medals just give them away, I would suggest that those that DO want the medals do like Tory did: buy your own, bring it to the race and have your SO give it to you at the finish. That way you'll have your trinket without additional financial burden on the race director or other participants.

Edited by the bear 2005-05-24 5:33 AM
2005-05-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #162290

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
the bear - 2005-05-24 5:21 AM

Most of these smaller races have less than 100 participants, very few have over 500. The set-up costs (for custom medals) alone would present an undue burden on the race promoters. Many already depend on sponsors to make or break their event, to have to find another "medal sponsor" would prove impossible. The result would be either higher entry fees or fewer races.

That’s a good and true point.

300 finisher’s medals custom-made w/ ribbons plus shipping. $580.00 aprox.

300 custom-made mugs plus shipping $350.00 aprox.

of course one or the other plus the T-shirts which that alone is around $1100.00

Which one could be more useful/valuable in the long run? I am leaning towards the mugs…

2005-05-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: #162336

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: #162197

Expert
NC Illinois
So basically what you're saying is that those of us who compete in triathlons, but don't win, are mediocre and don't deserve to feel pride in our accomplishments?

Nowhere did I say anything of the sort. YOU said that, as if YOU were wanting me to say it.

Here's what I said ... [from what you quoted]

"Isn't the accomplishment enough? Do we (those that do triathlons) really need a trinket and ribbon to feel worthwhile? Do triathletes really need a race official or a trinket to valiudate the performance they just accomplished? Isn't the achievement enough? "

So, again, I reiterate ... feel pride and confidence in your accomplishment ... whether it comes with a "finisher's medal", t-shirt, mug, or nothing at all. Feel pride in your accomplishment whether 1,000 people pat you on the back or none do. That's what I am saying.

I coach-teach, I talk with lots of friends ... and it is just amazing to me how one negative comment from another can completely demoralize an individual. A baseball player can be sunken like a ship by one comment from his dad (that never played). A wife's self-esteem can be based on what her husband thinks. My original comments stemmed from the impression I had that there are way too many triathletes who's validation depends on "what others think about it" (check the threads of "I am a triathlete", or "13hour cutoff for IM finshers, etc). I don't understand it ... so I commented about it.

Along with that you see BOP triathletes spening quite a bit of cash to have the triahtlon look both in clothing and equipment. Why? It's something else I don't understand. I want people to be independently confident and comfortable in their own skin. I find that very few people are.

I brought up my comments because of the sports groups I have been in, triathletes seem to be , by far, the most emotionally needy ... and I don't get it b/c it is one of the most physically and mentally dempaning activities there is.

----------------------------

I did comment on "celebrating mediocrity" in terms of finishers medals. It's like the particpation trophies handed out in little league. I'm reminded of the movie, The Incredibles (I have a 4yo son), when the bad guys says "I'll make everyone super, so no one will be". In other words when everyone gets a trophy, it loses it's special meaning. There is nothing wrong with doing something well and walking away with nothing but the satisfaction of knowing that you did it. I'm not big on finishers medals. Finishing is its own reward.

2005-05-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: #162336

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
amiine - 2005-05-24 6:59 AM

That’s a good and true point.

300 finisher’s medals custom-made w/ ribbons plus shipping. $580.00 aprox.

300 custom-made mugs plus shipping $350.00 aprox.

of course one or the other plus the T-shirts which that alone is around $1100.00

Which one could be more useful/valuable in the long run? I am leaning towards the mugs…

Jorge,

I hope you keep us updated on your experiences as a race promoter/director, I think your insight would be invaluable to the new (and experienced) racers here, especially in understanding the economics of putting on a race. There was a question a while back about "Why should there be a charge at all to race," in which the asker had no idea of the effort or expense involved in putting one on. I know that most of the small races around here would lose money on the participants' fees, and that their only chance of being profitable is buy finding ample sponsors, both for monetary donations and for in-kind goods and services.

Looks like you guys have a good organization, great website, hope it works out and you share your experiences with us.

2005-05-24 9:02 AM

Expert
Texarkana, TX

This is interesting.  I'm not even sure what I want to say in response, but it is interesting to see people with different points of view in a civilized discussion.

Here is one thing I know.  If you've ever been to the finish line of an Ironman race, you will see that no one, NO ONE is dissappointed there.  Every single finisher comes across the line with joyous pain, or high-fiving the crowds, or giggling with their daughter, or raising their hands in victory, regardless of their finishing time.  There is an achievement worth celebrating.  This is the most electric atmospheres that I have ever had the privelige to witness.

Then, the next day, they hand out plaques for those that finish at or near the top of their division.  So you celebrate accomplishments (not mediocrity) and then you celebrate superiority. 

I have said before that for many it is a longer trip from where they were to finishing just a sprint triathlon than it is for many IM finishers to get from where they were to the aforementioned finish line.

P.S. I miss TriClyde...

P.P.S. Go for the Mugs!

Edited by Tiger Phil 2005-05-24 9:03 AM
2005-05-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #162396

Expert
NC Illinois
The term mediocre is relative. Compared to everyone else in the race, "just finishing" is mediocre. Compared to those the did not even try, it's exceptional. [That's why most just compete against one's self] It would be a great accomplishment whether you see yourself on a jumbotron at an IM event or if there's just you a few stragglers left at a smaller race.

FWIW, I am trying to be "just a finisher". I don't expect anything more than just crossing the line and enjoying the feeling of having done it. I have much lower time goals (13h), but not hitting them will not be a let down. If I am fortunate enough to finish before others, I will stick around and cheer them on. But, I am perfectly fine with just having the accomplishment be my reward and letting those that had exceptional days (in relation to mine) enjoy the hardware. Giving everyone an "employee of the month" trophy is pointless.

Granted, I'll refrain b/c the discussion is circular. I don't understand how not giving everyone medals in any way diminishes from each individual's accomplishment, nor the pride and celebration they should experience. Will I enjoy my finishers medal? Yes. Then, I'll give it to my son. Will not getting a finishers medal in anyway deflate my pride of the accomplishment. No way. Simple as that.
2005-05-24 9:15 AM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Finishers' medals are OK I guess. I'm not going to throw any of mine away. The medals I really care about are those I got for actually making it to the podium. (it happens occasionally)

The best part of racing is the stories you can tell about it. Everything else is just stuff. Take away the stuff, and you still have your stories.

Edited by ride_like_u_stole_it 2005-05-24 9:17 AM
2005-05-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #162410

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-05-24 8:15 AM

The best part of racing is the stories you can tell about it. Everything else is just stuff. Take away the stuff, and you still have your stories.

From the Church of Buffet, Orthodox:

So if you're on the road trackin' down your every night
Playin' for a livin' beneath brightly colored lights
And if you ever wonder why you ride the carousel
You do it for the stories you can tell

Stories We Could Tell
By: John B. Sebastian

2005-05-25 12:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

I think where the misunderstanding is coming in is this...some of you have made it to the podium and will again.

Some of us never will.

I am thrilled that in my first and second triathlon I got a medal; likewise in my second half marathon (not my first) and in my first marathon. While I will enjoy medals if given out at upcoming events (I have two tris that will give them out), I am by no means competing for them, nor would I choose not to compete if they didn't have them. Many races (running) if given the option I choose not to take the t-shirt.

Ultimately I run my races for the thrill of competing against myself. I am very proud when I am done because every race, whether a 5k or a marathon represents a journey from being a complete, obese couch potato to being fitter, healthier, and happier than I've ever been at the ripe old age of thirty-ten. There is no such thing as "just a sprint" because for some of us that sprint is the first step in taking on a REAL athletic challenge. Surely after an IM or even a half IM a spring seems easy, but we all start somewhere and I would venture to guess that there's not a single one of us who sat up one day and said "I think I'd like to try an IM!" and just went out and did it.

I liked what Bear had to say about what the medals represent. While not a necessity, they do represent hours of training, of giving up other activities to get out on a bike or for a run, of learning about my body and my soul, and of challenging myself to do something I never dreamed I'd be able to do.

My exception with what you said, TripleThreat, was that your post used the term "mediocre" when referring to people who don't win. There is not a single solitary "mediocre" person on this board. Now don't get me wrong, I do wholeheartedly believe that, as a culture, we award people for doing next to nothing. I one time was told that I HAD to give an award to every single person in my classes of a specific race. I had students who had attended four out of 45 days, and I was expected to give them an award...for what? Breathing? Skipping? Slacking? That's a different thing altogether.

For some people deciding to do a triathlon might just be an extension of a lifelong commitment to fitness and sports. But for others it is a HUGE leap of faith and step outside of their comfort area. There is not one single mediocre thing about doing that. Not one. I don't care if you finish a sprint in an hour or four hours, every single person "deserves" a medal. Not getting one shouldn't take away from the feeling of accomplishment, but the speed or place of the triathlete shouldn't dictate whether a person "deserves" recognition either.

Edited by teechur 2005-05-25 12:16 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing Medals..Rally up? Rss Feed  

of 4