General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-28 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic : Official Thread
Does anybody know if they changed the bike course? Last year's Oak Cliff portion was disastrous, lots of potholes and big bumps.

2009-09-28 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2430700

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic : Official Thread

Hey! Sorry I can't answer your question, but since I didn't want to start a second thread for the Toyota I thought I'd post my dilemma here. I am scheduled to do the Sprint at the Toyota in two weeks. I just began my training 6 weeks ago after 4 months of no activity (I was very active before that…school takes its toll). On top of that I’m new to tri in general, swimming and biking. I guess its because of my age (23) that I’ve been able to get my body where it is in such a short period of time as I am doing fairly well right now. I’m fairly lucky too that I haven’t incurred an injury. I completed my first sprint Tri yesterday and felt fairly good with the exception of the run but I’m fairly confident that my troubles were due to the fact I had a milk based shake under 2h before the event. I finished 84/600 and 6th in my age group.  So back to the Toyota…Due to the nature of the bike leg the sprint and Olympic are the same distance (40k) so there’s no issue there as I’ve trained for that distance. I just got in the pool a couple of hours ago and punched out 1600m no problem in 33 min and actually felt good afterward. After doing this distance a crazy idea has been creeping into my head…I don’t even know if I’m allowed to switch at this point but I can’t see why not as the sprint and Olympic cost the exact same amount….but I’m wondering if I should switch to the Olympic? I’m used to running a route that’s about 6.2k and I did that in 27 min today. I know half of this post is a bit of a rant and probably me talking myself into trying to make the switch but I really would like some advise and opinions from some more experienced athletes…..

2009-09-28 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
The bike course is mostly the same. We are swimming at a different location at Joe Pool and the beginning of the bike course is different because of this. The bulk of the course is the same though.

And no offense, but the course wasn't really that bad last year. The first year, 2007, was much, much worse.
2009-09-29 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2431083

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jperchard - 2009-09-28 9:26 PM

After doing this distance a crazy idea has been creeping into my head…I don’t even know if I’m allowed to switch at this point but I can’t see why not as the sprint and Olympic cost the exact same amount….but I’m wondering if I should switch to the Olympic? I’m used to running a route that’s about 6.2k and I did that in 27 min today. I know half of this post is a bit of a rant and probably me talking myself into trying to make the switch but I really would like some advise and opinions from some more experienced athletes…..

Looks like you are traveling from Houston to do this race... sounds like you can finish the Oly. If you want to run more... why not see if you can switch? You should be fine. And if all else fails, you can walk.

2009-09-29 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Hey! Sorry I can't answer your question, but since I didn't want to start a second thread for the Toyota I thought I'd post my dilemma here. I am scheduled to do the Sprint at the Toyota in two weeks. I just began my training 6 weeks ago after 4 months of no activity (I was very active before that…school takes its toll). On top of that I’m new to tri in general, swimming and biking. I guess its because of my age (23) that I’ve been able to get my body where it is in such a short period of time as I am doing fairly well right now. I’m fairly lucky too that I haven’t incurred an injury. I completed my first sprint Tri yesterday and felt fairly good with the exception of the run but I’m fairly confident that my troubles were due to the fact I had a milk based shake under 2h before the event. I finished 84/600 and 6th in my age group.  So back to the Toyota…Due to the nature of the bike leg the sprint and Olympic are the same distance (40k) so there’s no issue there as I’ve trained for that distance. I just got in the pool a couple of hours ago and punched out 1600m no problem in 33 min and actually felt good afterward. After doing this distance a crazy idea has been creeping into my head…I don’t even know if I’m allowed to switch at this point but I can’t see why not as the sprint and Olympic cost the exact same amount….but I’m wondering if I should switch to the Olympic? I’m used to running a route that’s about 6.2k and I did that in 27 min today. I know half of this post is a bit of a rant and probably me talking myself into trying to make the switch but I really would like some advise and opinions from some more experienced athletes…..

Don't be afraid, go for it and you won't regret it. Never forget that you're doing this for fun though...
2009-09-29 9:44 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I’m used to running a route that’s about 6.2k and I did that in 27 min today.

The Olympic (or International) distance is 6.2 miles or 10 Km.  I would guess you should still be fine.

2009-09-30 9:03 AM

User image

I say step up and do the oly. I would love to have some competition!

As far as the orginal question the course was put out yeteserday and it still goes through west oak cliff but like someone else said it's not nearly as bad as year 1.

Edited by firefighterwes 2009-09-30 9:05 AM
2009-09-30 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hey! Sorry I can't answer your question, but since I didn't want to start a second thread for the Toyota I thought I'd post my dilemma here. I am scheduled to do the Sprint at the Toyota in two weeks..........

I think you would be fine with the Oly.  Contact the race director.  Most will let you switch.

I rode the course a month ago.  There are a couple of big pot holes.  But overall the course is fine.  The bike course coordinator said the city is supposed to patch any cracks and holes before the race.  We'll see.

2009-09-30 11:58 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I made the switch. Went for a 12k (sorry a Canadian here till makin the switch from metric ahah) and it felt pretty dam good. See y’all at the race.

2009-10-01 9:23 PM

User image

I was going to do the Oly but, I missed the deadline for signup. Plus I'm getting some Upper Respiratory bug. Probably allergies, on a 4.5mi training run this week I almost had an asthma attack. Finished the run and had to take a steam shower to loosen up the junk in my bronchial tubes.

Its a bummer. I've been training pretty hard(two a days) them last couple of months getting ready.

Looks like I'm going to do the Monster Tri in Denton the following week.

Good Luck Ya'll.
2009-10-03 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Ok, I was looking at the new bike course and they took the hilly part at the beginning out. I did that same part (first six miles of the bike course) in the run of the Prairieman Half Iron. It's pancake flat eastbound on the dike wall of Joe Pool. All said and done it promises to be a super fast bike course. The rest is pretty much identical to last year's bike.
The other good news id that we will not swim into the sun when turning back to the boat ramp.
I'm going for a PR! Do or die on this one.

2009-10-03 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2434412

User image

Pro
Texas
NM

Edited by JBrashear 2009-10-03 11:07 PM
2009-10-05 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Texas Triple Threat is sponsoring a free open water swim clinic on Saturday, 10th at 12:00.  After the swim clinic, the US Open swim course will be open for practice swimming from 1:00 to 2:00.  The swim practice will be fully supported by Texas Triple Threat with kayaks, spotters, boats, etc. 

All bikes have to be checked in at T1.  So plan to swim first then check your bike in after a practice swim.

For more information go here: http://www.toyotausopentriathlon.com/Race_Information.htm
2009-10-07 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Anyone going to the US Open VIP party? The Emerald City Band is fantastic.

Dear Toyota US Open Triathlon Participants!

On behalf of Life Time Fitness & Toyota, we would like to invite you and a guest to the Toyota Taste of VENZA VIP Party Thursday, October 8th at Life Time - Flowermound.  Enjoy free appetizers, beer, wine, and live music by Emerald City Band!  Must be 21 years or older to attend.  Please RSVP you and a guest to Abby Anderson-Phillips [email protected] before 12pm noon, Thursday, October 8th.  Hope to see you there! 

Best of luck this weekend!

2009-10-08 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
Any first-hand reports on the big hill about mile 7 into the bike?

From my looking at maps and elevation graphs, I'm estimating this hill is a bit steeper than Windhaven and about 4 times longer.

I've pre-ridden the US Open course every year but haven't had/made the time for it this year and I'm regretting it a bit now.
2009-10-12 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2449020

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
tajsss - 2009-10-08 6:40 AM

Any first-hand reports on the big hill about mile 7 into the bike?

From my looking at maps and elevation graphs, I'm estimating this hill is a bit steeper than Windhaven and about 4 times longer.

I've pre-ridden the US Open course every year but haven't had/made the time for it this year and I'm regretting it a bit now.

Lots of first-hand reports today! That beast was nasty. It never got as steep as Windhaven, but it was about TEN times as long! The hill last year was steeper but MUCH shorter. I think last year's was easier, but I also enjoy conquering the challenge of yesterday's hill.

Weather didn't help matters. It was pretty miserable on the bike.

Saw two bad crashes. First one was caused by some railroad tracks near the bottom of a hill on Westmoreland (about a 1/4 mile past the "BUMP" intersection with paramedics standing by). Biker was probably going 25-30 and went down hard and wasn't moving. Slowed down to help but there were already 4 riders helping, and word was already passed back to paramedics. Second one was a car pulling into the middle of the bike lane about a mile before crossing the Trinity bridge. There wasn't even a gap of bikers and some idiot disregards the 4 officers at the intersection and pulls halfway into the bike path on the left side. Rider slams on his brakes, but there are riders are on his right so he has no choice but to lay it down and crash into the side of the car. Major kudos to the guy for getting up, getting on his bike, and finishing the entire race with a bloody lip, elbow and knee.

Edited by ricro 2009-10-12 8:13 AM

2009-10-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2454636

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
ricro - 2009-10-12 8:12 AM

Lots of first-hand reports today! That beast was nasty. It never got as steep as Windhaven, but it was about TEN times as long! The hill last year was steeper but MUCH shorter. I think last year's was easier, but I also enjoy conquering the challenge of yesterday's hill.

Weather didn't help matters. It was pretty miserable on the bike.

Saw two bad crashes. First one was caused by some railroad tracks near the bottom of a hill on Westmoreland (about a 1/4 mile past the "BUMP" intersection with paramedics standing by). Biker was probably going 25-30 and went down hard and wasn't moving. Slowed down to help but there were already 4 riders helping, and word was already passed back to paramedics. Second one was a car pulling into the middle of the bike lane about a mile before crossing the Trinity bridge. There wasn't even a gap of bikers and some idiot disregards the 4 officers at the intersection and pulls halfway into the bike path on the left side. Rider slams on his brakes, but there are riders are on his right so he has no choice but to lay it down and crash into the side of the car. Major kudos to the guy for getting up, getting on his bike, and finishing the entire race with a bloody lip, elbow and knee.

This sounds like almost exactly what happened to a teammate, Leslie. Car pulls into bike lane and she has no choice but to divert right, catches a major crack and then lays down the bike and ends up sliding into two other riders on her right. Major road rash from back of right shoulder, hip, thigh, knee, elbow down to calf. But she got up, twisted some banged up parts back and finished the race (and when the adrenaline stopped hurt like hell). Other two riders in that one were not so lucky and ended up in ambulances. I came up on one guy being loaded on a stretcher into an ambulance at that railroad tracks/bump intersection also. Challenging conditions.
2009-10-12 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

The roads were brutal.  Why is it that Dallas can't repair even the major roadways?  I saw about 10x as many flats as what there should have been.  I even participated in the flat festival... 

2009-10-12 11:32 AM

Yes, horrible course - wish I would have driven it Saturday when I went to the open water swim practice and then drove to the Hyatt for packet pickup. That climb up miles 6-9 was never ending it seemed. Not a fan of the zig-zag stair step course either - too many 90 degree turns that hurt my average mph. I've never seen so many flats either...

What did everyone think of the swim? I thought the boats were causing some unecessary waves and the fumes were strong. Chop was pretty rough too on the 1st and 3rd legs.

Run was perfect though, even if my feet were frozen solid for the first mile.
2009-10-12 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2455061

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

wack70 - 2009-10-12 11:32 AM Yes, horrible course - wish I would have driven it Saturday when I went to the open water swim practice and then drove to the Hyatt for packet pickup. That climb up miles 6-9 was never ending it seemed. Not a fan of the zig-zag stair step course either - too many 90 degree turns that hurt my average mph. I've never seen so many flats either...

What did everyone think of the swim? I thought the boats were causing some unecessary waves and the fumes were strong. Chop was pretty rough too on the 1st and 3rd legs.

Gotta agree about the swim - it was choppier than I thought it would be.  IMO They need more kayaks and less boats...

2009-10-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2455143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
ashort33 - 2009-10-12 12:05 PM

wack70 - 2009-10-12 11:32 AM Yes, horrible course - wish I would have driven it Saturday when I went to the open water swim practice and then drove to the Hyatt for packet pickup. That climb up miles 6-9 was never ending it seemed. Not a fan of the zig-zag stair step course either - too many 90 degree turns that hurt my average mph. I've never seen so many flats either...

Gotta agree about the swim - it was choppier than I thought it would be.  IMO They need more kayaks and less boats...

Ahhh, nothing like the smell of boat fuel during an OWS to get ya going! Tongue out Yes, I think the boats might have caused some unecessary waves, but I'm thinking that because of the chop & waves they thought the boats would be able to fish swimmers in trouble out of the water faster/easier? I dunno anything, this being my first and all but I did see 2 swimmers get rescued and pulled onto the boats.

2009-10-12 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
D/FW, TX
That race was just a comedy of errors for me. I ended up with a Charlie horse in my leg while stripping off my wetsuit and initially thought I snapped a calf muscle it hurt so bad! Then, with how wet everything was, I slipped putting my foot into the bike clip right out of T1- crashed and screwed up my gears so that I couldn't shift properly!! (I was stuck on the middle gear of the big gears for the rest of the race, which made those long hill climbs so much fun... burned up my legs and just was happy to finish the run without walking. Although my pace wasn't much faster than that. Ha!

At one point during the bike, a lady cop jumped out beside me and started screaming like crazy at the car who had swerved into the lane behind me... scared the heck out of me!

The inital crash left me with a nasty gash on my foot, which I couldn't feel anyway during the race because they were so numb! Oh well, battle stories to re-count for the future! Thankfully, I only left with a bruised ego (from such a slow bike ride) and goose bumps.

Couldn't believe how many people started off in the wrong direction on the swim start- even one person in the age group elite category!! Definitely needed more kayakers in the water. There were about 8 of them sitting on the boat ramp, wonder why they weren't used.
2009-10-12 1:25 PM

User image

Well the race personally for me was horrible.  I hated racing in that weathe rbut like the rest of you sucked it up and did it. The water didn't seam that choppy to me but thats just my own opinion. The bike course was horrible and I have done the race every year. Seams like every year its been horrible. My biggest complaint was the timing band they used. I'm use to the band that had the padding on it. The one complete cut my ankle all the way around and had me bleeding by the end of the swim. Made some nice pictures though.
2009-10-12 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
I'll never complain about too many boats because of the safety factor. And I don't think they add too much to the chop, especially since they weren't up on plane creating a big wake.

Didn't have any problems with the timing chip band. Can't believe that it made you bleed!

They do need to give some serious thought to finding smoother roads, even if it means starting from an entirely new location. It's becoming a signifcant safety concern...the rolling hills coupled with bad seams/potholes makes for a dangerous combination. The slick roads just made it even worse. And I agree that the stairstep course kills some momentum and costs riders time.
2009-10-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2455414

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

firefighterwes - 2009-10-12 1:25 PM Well the race personally for me was horrible.  I hated racing in that weathe rbut like the rest of you sucked it up and did it. The water didn't seam that choppy to me but thats just my own opinion. The bike course was horrible and I have done the race every year. Seams like every year its been horrible. My biggest complaint was the timing band they used. I'm use to the band that had the padding on it. The one complete cut my ankle all the way around and had me bleeding by the end of the swim. Made some nice pictures though.

x2 on the straps - I had to stop on the run and loosen it up so that it would quit cutting into my ankle.  All other races I have been in use a neoprene strap...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3