General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How young is too young to run a marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-09-29 4:08 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: How young is too young to run a marathon?
I thought I would hear some thoughts before confirming my judgment.

2009-09-29 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2432708

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: How young is too young to run a marathon?
After 18, you can't tell them what to do.... But personally, I'd say at least 18-20 for women; 20+ for men.

Definitely not in HS.
2009-09-29 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2432716

User image

Sensei
Sin City
So gradeschool would be a no no - I'm guessing?
2009-09-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2432720

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Aikidoman - 2009-09-29 4:11 PM So gradeschool would be a no no - I'm guessing?

Ummm... from what I remember, can't find the link, anything over 5k is too far for at least up through freshmen and sophomore in HS.  THAT kind of mileage can do some serious damage to still developing bones and structure.

I know some of the docs here will quickly link to studies.  I would say big time NONO!

2009-09-29 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2432742

User image

Sensei
Sin City
crowny2 - 2009-09-29 2:22 PM

Aikidoman - 2009-09-29 4:11 PM So gradeschool would be a no no - I'm guessing?

Ummm... from what I remember, can't find the link, anything over 5k is too far for at least up through freshmen and sophomore in HS.  THAT kind of mileage can do some serious damage to still developing bones and structure.

I know some of the docs here will quickly link to studies.  I would say big time NONO!

If you can find it, it would be helpful.

I'm double checking to see if it's really happening.  If it is, I may need to voice my objections and some research/documentation would help.
2009-09-29 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

All the marathons I have seen say minimum age of 18 to enter.  No studies here sorry.  The growing bone thing makes sense though.  

2009-09-29 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2432765

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Baowolf - 2009-09-29 2:37 PM

All the marathons I have seen say minimum age of 18 to enter.  No studies here sorry.  The growing bone thing makes sense though.  

Good to know.  Then they won't be allowed...
2009-09-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2432771

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I had to do some research..

Apparently, I was a little confused when I was told their kids were "doing the seattle marathon" without the details.  To be honest, it's still a little unclear, but none the less, it's safe.

From their site:

The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon 2009 is on SATURDAY, November 28th at 10:00 AM at the Seattle Center. Kids begin their final 1.2 miles from the corner of 5th and Harrison.

The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon is structured to allow children — kindergarten through eighth grade — to complete a full 26.2 mile marathon at a rate that is fun and safe for their growing bodies “one mile at a time.” It also encourages them to read 13 books and perform 13 do rights (good deeds).

What is a Marathon?

In ancient Greece, Phidippedes ran from the plains of Marathon to Athens to report about the Persian War. That is where the marathon got its name. Thousands of years later, people still run, but now they do it for fun.

About half a million people run marathons every year! People who run marathons train a lot. Your body must be in good shape to run a marathon. A marathon is 26.2 miles. The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon will get you on your way to being physically fit. 

• The Kids Victory Recovery Area is located in the Seattle Center Exhibition Hall. Kids will receive their space blanket and water as they cross the finish line in Memorial Stadium and will then proceed through the secured finisher chute to the Victory Recovery area where they will receive their finisher shirts and their Goody Bag containing their finisher certificate and medal, as well as refreshments and post event fun with Radio Disney.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Parents/Guardians, you may run with your child if you wish. For safety reasons, you will be required to wear a bib/runners number to accompany your child on the course and each child may have only one parent accompany them. Every child who enters the event will be given two bibs with the same number — one for the child and one for the accompanying adult. For lost parent/child reasons, the child and adult bibs will both contain the child's information. If you have a younger child in a stroller accompanying you, that child will have to be entered in the event and have a bib number to be on the course.

Awards:
You get the following awards for finishing each of these mileposts:

13 Books: A special certificate
13 Do Rights: A special certificate
5 miles: Award token, chain and award certificate
10 miles: 10 mile award token and award certificate
15 miles: 15 mile award token
20 miles: 20 mile award token and award certificate
25 miles: 25 mile bonus award token
Final 1.2 miles: Kids will receive their space blanket and water as they cross the finish line in Memorial Stadium and will then proceed through the secured finisher chute to the Victory Recovery Area where they will receive their finisher shirts and their Goody Bag containing their finisher certificate and medal.

Note: Kids receive one t-shirt per entry.

ETA:  sorry, pasted the clip twice.

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-09-29 4:52 PM
2009-09-29 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2432781

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Aikidoman - 2009-09-29 4:45 PM I had to do some research..

Apparently, I was a little confused when I was told their kids were "doing the seattle marathon" without the details.  To be honest, it's still a little unclear, but none the less, it's safe.

From their site:

The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon 2009 is on SATURDAY, November 28th at 10:00 AM at the Seattle Center. Kids begin their final 1.2 miles from the corner of 5th and Harrison.

The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon is structured to allow children — kindergarten through eighth grade — to complete a full 26.2 mile marathon at a rate that is fun and safe for their growing bodies “one mile at a time.” It also encourages them to read 13 books and perform 13 do rights (good deeds).

What is a Marathon?

In ancient Greece, Phidippedes ran from the plains of Marathon to Athens to report about the Persian War. That is where the marathon got its name. Thousands of years later, people still run, but now they do it for fun.

About half a million people run marathons every year! People who run marathons train a lot. Your body must be in good shape to run a marathon. A marathon is 26.2 miles. The Seattle Children's Kids Marathon will get you on your way to being physically fit. 

• The Kids Victory Recovery Area is located in the Seattle Center Exhibition Hall. Kids will receive their space blanket and water as they cross the finish line in Memorial Stadium and will then proceed through the secured finisher chute to the Victory Recovery area where they will receive their finisher shirts and their Goody Bag containing their finisher certificate and medal, as well as refreshments and post event fun with Radio Disney.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Parents/Guardians, you may run with your child if you wish. For safety reasons, you will be required to wear a bib/runners number to accompany your child on the course and each child may have only one parent accompany them. Every child who enters the event will be given two bibs with the same number — one for the child and one for the accompanying adult. For lost parent/child reasons, the child and adult bibs will both contain the child's information. If you have a younger child in a stroller accompanying you, that child will have to be entered in the event and have a bib number to be on the course.

Awards:

Final 1.2 miles: Kids will receive their space blanket and water as they cross the finish line in Memorial Stadium and will then proceed through the secured finisher chute to the Victory Recovery Area where they will receive their finisher shirts and their Goody Bag containing their finisher certificate and medal.

What is a Marathon?

• Photos from the Seattle Kids Marathon 2008 are available here

Awards:

Ahh... there are other marathons that have done this.  I know OKC did it too.  And it is the same kind of set up.

2009-09-29 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yup, Seattle Marathon for Kids is a good one. My nephews have done it. Granted their good deeds consisted of helping their grandpa demolish things for fun

For an Actual Marathon I would definately say waiting until at least they have stopped growing and the growth plates in their long bones have completely come together. If I remember my anatomy correctly that is usually the last part of a person that physically matures.
2009-09-29 4:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
CMM does this as well, kids run the mileage over 6 weeks I believe, and run the last mile the friday before the actual event. They run through the same finish line, etc.. It's actually pretty cool to see their faces...
My son will be doing it this year.. (2010).

2009-09-29 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2432790

User image

Sensei
Sin City
crowny2 - 2009-09-29 2:51 PM

Ahh... there are other marathons that have done this.  I know OKC did it too.  And it is the same kind of set up.

Yeah, the marathon is done over weeks/months and not in one day.  It's a totaly cool idea and would get my kinds (if I ever have any do it).

I just got panicked when I was told they were 'doing a marathon'.  I actually thought it was impossible since they are only 3rd or forth grade...

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-09-29 5:00 PM
2009-09-29 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
I ran Applefest Half Marathon this weekend and at one point I came up to a 10yr old boy running the race. Its not a mary but I thought a very long distance for a 10year old running without a parent.
2009-09-29 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
i did a race in march, Mercer Island half marathon - i saw a kid running pretty far up front towards the start and thought 'this kid will slow down, he is going out way to fast'.  . he got 20th overall:
1474         M0014  
Sammamish WA   201/4417  1:22:27    
1:22:34       6:18

needless to say, i never passed him! 
2009-09-29 7:10 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Very cool idea.

I let my 13 year old do a 10K last spring.  She didn't push her pace to really race, just had fun with it.  She's running cross country this fall and has signed up for an 8K in November.  She's on the site as miss thing.

2009-09-29 7:24 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
My siblings and I always ran an annual 10K with our dad and we were much younger than high school and we turned out just fine.  None of us did anything longe than that thugh until we were older.

2009-09-29 7:42 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IMO and based on the research I have done, youth is the time to get fast and as you get older, then focus on going longer.

For my x-country/track runners, we build up to running 4-7km depending on the category with a healthy dose of VO2max and threshold work.  However, for any that will listen (we are talking about high school kids) I strongly encourage a focus on shorter events during track season (some 400m, lots of 800m and 1500m).  Ultimately there is only a short period of your life where you are going to have a go at breaking :50/1:00 for 400m, 2:00/2:10 for 800m or 4:00/4:30 for 1500m.

Having said that, the latest research seems to indicate that the growth plate argument, while logical, is not supported by the data.  While I still believe there are great reasons to hold off on the distance events (10k+) until after the teen years, the growth plate arguement seems not to be one of them.

Shane
2009-09-29 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Look up thr record for the youngest person to complete an ironman on google. It's about 12-13 years old. Make up you mind after that.

I'd say no younger than 12.
2009-09-30 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
suggesting that high school aged kids shouldn't race longer than 5k is rediculous in my opinion.  I coached cross country and track&field in HS for years and by far and away my best runners (including those who went on to get track or xc scholarships) were putting in big mileage.  Yeah we did some speedwork at appropriate points in the season, but mostly we had them running lots and lots and lots of miles.  Virtually every collegiate distance runner I've ever met says they were logging big miles in high school.

Are all of these kids getting damaged by this training regime?
2009-09-30 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2433768

User image

Runner

JoshKaptur - 2009-09-30 9:28 AM suggesting that high school aged kids shouldn't race longer than 5k is rediculous in my opinion.  I coached cross country and track&field in HS for years and by far and away my best runners (including those who went on to get track or xc scholarships) were putting in big mileage.  Yeah we did some speedwork at appropriate points in the season, but mostly we had them running lots and lots and lots of miles.  Virtually every collegiate distance runner I've ever met says they were logging big miles in high school.

Well, I think there's a difference between high weekly mileage and running a marathon.  I don't think that they are "damaging" themselves, but I would be concerned about burn-out.  I was reading an article that mentioned that.  We put so much focus on HS and collegeiate athletic performance for running that we end up not being able to sustain long-term development.

2009-09-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2432720

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Good lord, yes. I had to beg and plead to get to do a 10k before I turned 12.

2009-09-30 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2433768

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JoshKaptur - 2009-09-30 10:28 AM

suggesting that high school aged kids shouldn't race longer than 5k is rediculous in my opinion.  I coached cross country and track&field in HS for years and by far and away my best runners (including those who went on to get track or xc scholarships) were putting in big mileage.  Yeah we did some speedwork at appropriate points in the season, but mostly we had them running lots and lots and lots of miles.  Virtually every collegiate distance runner I've ever met says they were logging big miles in high school.

I didn't say their overall training wouldn't be high; just that IMO they should focus on racing shorter events and getting fast over those distances until after they are out of high school.

Shane
2009-09-30 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
I started marathoning at 16. Ideal=NO! But it was something I wanted to do. They are fun and a little addicting. 19 now and trying to start chopping chunks of time off again.
2009-09-30 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hunter Lussi at 13 yo was the youngest Iron distance finisher I've found

Edited by Buddha4 2009-09-30 11:53 AM
2009-09-30 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2432781

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

Some of the Rock N Roll marathons do a similiar thing. I want to take my kids along when I run in Nashville so they can do this. They both thought it sounded pretty cool.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How young is too young to run a marathon? Rss Feed  

of 1