United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 16m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to St. Paul with Kelly and debated the whole way if she should race today or not. She has been having a lot of shortness of breath and other issues lately. Mostly a feeling of being "off". Also some other stuff that just hasn't been right. She had a recent physical and nothing really came up but I still was not too enamoured with her racing. At one point sitting in the parking lot it was off and she was going to go home. She changed her mind after I said I would stay with her if she wanted and get her to the first medical drop-out point. I really did want her just not to do it. Not because I didn't want to run with her, but because I was worried. I knew when she said she was running my original plan was done and it was time to rework it. I would be running with her as long as she was in the race. I told her just to mile 7 or so but I knew I wasn't going on ahead without her. Maybe pull ahead at mile 18 if she looked good and I had it in me, but no sooner.
Event warmup:

Sat inside the Metrodome chilling out. Kelly actually fell asleep for awhile. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching her heart rate monitor at that time.
Run
  • 5h 16m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good run. Kelly and I were side by side the whole way. About 5 minutes in I saw something fly by Kelly and I. As I tried to figure out what it was I took a look at my Garmin to see the pace and quickly realized it was no longer there. So with about 5,000 people running down a narrow road I made my way against traffic weaving in and out of people. Saw it right away about 30 yards back. Some of the looks on peoples faces as a 220 pound guy in a pig jersey comes at them from nowhere were priceless. I thought I was in a freakin cartoon. Finally get to the Garmin and as I'm about to pick it up someone of course kicks it. I actually started laughing at that point.

As the miles clicked by things were going smoothley we wasted about 10 minutes at the biffos which did really annoy me but that's life. What didn't annoy me was hanging back with my running partner. We were putting down 10:45's for the first half or so. I was completely happy with that. Unfortunately things got really tough for Kelly around mile 17 and we slowed way down. She about begged me to go on but her breathing had me really concerned so I was with her to the end. We did a lot of walking for the next few miles. Several times she would say she was done running for good only to eventually pick it up again. Life got really difficult the last 10K and our 15 minute mile averages shows it. But we gutted it out and it felt great to finish.

As I write this 4 hours after the finish I amazed at how good I feel. The only thing that hurts is my feet. I'm pretty sure my shoes are shot because they have not been very supportive at all lately. Quads, hammies and calves all feel great.

I am very proud of Kelly for finishing this event and I am equally happy to have my first stand alone marathon under my belt. Considering I did not decide to do this until 3 weeks ago and my longest training run was 17 miles I am happy with the results. I'm pretty confidant I could have held 10 minute miles through 20 miles if I had beenj on my own. Honestly though, who knows what would have happened then? Maybe I would have totally exploded and walked in even slower.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through finishers gate and had some slim pickings for food. I think I am spoiled by triathlons.

Event comments:

Good race. I look forward to doing another one on proper training and good build-up milage. I actually feel good enough to entertain thoughts of doing Whistlestop next weekend. All ready commited to something else so I guess that is my cop out.

Last updated: 2009-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
05:16:19 | 26.2 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: This is a beutifull course going from Minneaplois to St. Paul.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-04 5:34 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

2009-10-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2441925

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon
What a great husband you are! I'm glad you could be out there with her today and experience your first marathon with her.

Now begins the offseason. You've earned some relaxation and a few less workouts a day. Enjoy it!
2009-10-05 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
MA
What a super way to end your season doing a Mary with your wife!

Great way to be there for her and how cool you feel so good post Mary. Sounds like some relaxing and new shoes are in order.

In time I think your race this weekend will have more positive memories to carry with you & Kelly forever compared to some tris.
2009-10-05 11:00 AM

Regular
TwinCities, MN
It's always a good day at the office when you finish. Plus you got to run the entire 26.2 with your wife which is a bonus. There are not to many couples out there who can do that. Congrats.
2009-10-05 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great job.  although, you had to be concerned the whole time, that had to be awesome to run a marathon with your wife.  Very, very cool.

And now you have a PR to shoot for next time
2009-10-05 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2443655

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I think Kelly came down with issues so she could slow down to a pace that you could keep up with.  Kelly's the real hero here...she ran with YOU, not you with HER! 

2009-10-05 5:35 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Bryan, what a great guy!  I'm sure Kelly really appreciated your support.  Awesome that BOTH of you could finish a (stand-alone) marathon TOGETHER.  Congrats to both of you!

Whistlestop this Saturday?  You're crazier than I thought! 
2009-10-06 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Congratulations to both of you! What an accomplishment regardless of what time you finished. There's not many people out there (general population) that can say they have run 26.2 miles. It was a great day to run...perfect weather. A bit cool for us whimps who chose to follow along the route in our car with Diet Cokes to drink.

I'm sure Kelly loved that you stayed with her regardless of what she said. Now take some time to rest and recover. Forget the bush/tree planting, by the way.
2009-10-06 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
What a great day for a first (stand alone) marathon.   Very admirable that you stayed by your wife's side the entire time.  Congrats!
2009-10-07 6:01 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

OK- very sweet of you to stay with Kelly (although i have to admit it gags me slightly)

Does she know what is wrong? Is she feeling better... you know cuz thats how I felt ALL season.  I highly urge her to gether blood levels checked.

Whistlstop this weekend is a GREAT GREAT idea!!! come on!!!!

2009-10-07 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

GREAT job being supportive big guy!!!  true donkey spirit there!!  oh, and um, sorry for kicking your garmin..................my bad................

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Rss Feed