General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast Forward Seatpost - Is it necessary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-18 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Fast Forward Seatpost - Is it necessary?
I've used my road bike (Fuji SL-1) for a number of tris this past season and am not yet ready to buy a dedicated tri bike. 

Does a seatpost like the Profile Fast Forward really make a difference?  I understand that a more forward position has aero benefit, but are there any other benefits...specifically with the muscles used?

Thanks.

Ray

2009-10-18 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2466123

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Fast Forward Seatpost - Is it necessary?
on a road bike with drops? no

On a road bike with clip on aeros and a ffd post...it makes a difference.

Most of it is for angle and geometry. a flatter torso = less wind resistance.

A regular road bike, no it is not necessary...
2009-10-18 11:51 PM
in reply to: #2466193

User image

Veteran
Thanks. 

I've used clip-ons for my last few races and feel that I can get into a fairly aero position.  How much of an improvement can I expect from the forward seating position and why?

Thanks.

Ray  
2009-10-19 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2466227

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
rjp7204 - 2009-10-18 11:51 PM Thanks. 

I've used clip-ons for my last few races and feel that I can get into a fairly aero position.  How much of an improvement can I expect from the forward seating position and why?

Thanks.

Ray  

The Fast Forward (FF) seatposts change the bike's effective seattube angle.  Typically a road bike's seat tube angle is 72-73 degrees.  The FF seatpost changes the effective seat tube angle to ~78*.

This can help open the hip angle.  Which helps with power production in the aero position.

There was a study done (I don't remember the name or when) that showed an improvement in running times after riding a 78* seat tube bike.
2009-10-19 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I actually think that the idea of the Fast Forward seatpost is bad... it changes the balance of the bike too much.

Yes, it can help with hip angle, but if you compromise the weight distribution on the bike too much outside of the parameters that the designer designed the bike for, you often create new problems... solve one (hip angle) get another (balance).

I prefer to use aerobars that allows you to position the elbow pads further back (ex. PD Jammers) instead of messing with the center position of the rider.
2009-10-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2466276

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
KenD - 2009-10-19 8:02 AM

The Fast Forward (FF) seatposts change the bike's effective seattube angle.  Typically a road bike's seat tube angle is 72-73 degrees.  The FF seatpost changes the effective seat tube angle to ~78*.

This can help open the hip angle.  Which helps with power production in the aero position.

There was a study done (I don't remember the name or when) that showed an improvement in running times after riding a 78* seat tube bike.

Although often quoted, the study was poorly designed and IMO should not be used as a reason to ride a bike with a steep seattube angle.

Personally I wouldn't use a FF post; I would simply use some shorty clipons and adjust accordingly.

Shane

2009-10-19 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback.  You've validated my initial thoughts.  I believe that I can still get some aero benefit with clip ons and my current seat position. 

Ray
2009-10-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2467564

User image

Sensei
Sin City
You essentially decrease your hip angle while riding in earo and it could become too acute and a loss of efficiency could occur if done on a road bike. 

The design of TT bikes, and the fix the FF seatpost offers for road bikes, is to steepen the seat tube angle and moving the seat forward with respect to the bottom bracket, effectively rotating your body around the bottom bracket.  This will open up your hip angle again to the proper angle while in earo.
2012-05-25 9:54 PM

User image

I know this is an old thread but thought i would update it with my experience.

KenD and Kido explained it best technically.

It is necessary if you want to take full advantage of clip on aero bars. I put the carbon profiile design FFSeatpost on my carbon Scattante and it made a huge difference in comfort and power. Before i would alternate between the drops, shifters and aero bars because i just couldnt ride in aero as long as i wanted to, now i can ride in aero position as long as i need and is actually more comfy than the shifters or drops but that may be because i have a tri set up and lowered the stem a few rings. i would recommend a FFSeatpost to anyone using aero bars on a road bike.

Also the comment about it shifting the balance and it having a negative effect is laughable. The act of riding in aero position is already shifting weight forward so moving your seat forward 5 degree is not going to make a bit of difference, if anything your balancing the weight distribution because generally speaking most of the weight is toward the rear of the bike. Ever notice if you stand on your bike you coast faster and further than when sitting upright.

Edited by cantu4of10 2012-05-25 10:23 PM

(bike_aero_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike_aero_1.jpg (91KB - 85 downloads)
2012-05-29 11:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

I have the same exact set up on my road bike.  The FF made a big difference in terms of taking full advantage of the aerobars.  Opening up the hip angle didn't really help my run (that I could notice) but it did help with my performance on the bike allowing to get more power down in aero versus a traditional seat-tube angle. 

I'll echo the previous poster about handling issues.  I experienced no handling issues with the FF seatpost and feel very confident in aero.  The "squirreliness" of aero bars on a road bike seems to me a bit over stated at times.  Will some people feel uncomfortable with handling? Sure.  Just like some people feel that a true TT bike can have squirrly handling too.  It just takes more IMO.

2021-04-22 8:22 AM
in reply to: rjp7204

Hi Ray, I know It's pretty old thread but I'm here to seek for an opinion. I am planning to buy a tri bike that is why I want to ask if you already have that one just what you mentioned years ago. How's your experience? Is it worth it the price?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast Forward Seatpost - Is it necessary? Rss Feed