FIRM
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 241/286
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am. Finally feel asleep around 12:30am after getting home late from my game. Woke up had everything packed and ready to go. Made myself a shake (fat free vanilla yogurt, strawberries, and strawberry protein powder. Hoped on the road and was starving stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a Black coffee and bacon, egg, cheese wrap.Got there at 7:15 checked in and was getting everything ready at my truck. Well I am inflating my tire and pop goes the rear tube. Got that fixed set up my transitiona dn threw on the kilt.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching, walked around, walked through transition to find where my bike would be. More stretching, than ran to the woods to...umm... water the vegetation.
Run
  • 29m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

AWESOME!!!! I WAS PUMPED (later when I saw) that I did a sub 10 pace!!! I ran 5 walked 1 the whole course and felt unbelievable. I still can't believe I ran at that pace with out even thinking about it..... hope it didn't haunt me later (Foreshadowing????)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing 5/1 break was awesome.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Didn't have it in the right gear oops.

Make sure it was in the right gear.
Bike
  • 40m 15s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Not even a mile in and pop goes the chain off my big cog. Made a quick 20-30sec break fixed it and started catching back up to the people that passed me. Last race I was getting blown by, well this was different big JRO played leap frog a few times but I was hammering and probably passed 20 people.Mile 8ish or so, no one warned me but there was a sniper and he shot me in my right calf. Oh that was fun. But I HTFU and worked through it. I was pushing it hard, Happy with the pace on that type of a course.Took advantage of the down hills to really get the momentum to carry me through some up hills.

Nothing really GUs were good, more drink probably.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Pretty good but as soon as I jumped off the bike I knew I was screwed. Someone had Jello legs. Grabbed the kilt put it back on and off I was to finish strong....right

Nothing was a pretty decent transition maybe coast more into the transition to save the legs?
Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! You bastard. I had nothing in the legs. I took down another GU in hopes it would magical give me some new legs, Usain Bolt are you around? I walked maybe the first .25 mile to stretch out the cramps and tightness and there they go. Everyone that I passed on the bike pretty much passed me. But after about the first .5 mile or so I was "running" more like a shuffle with some serious arm pumping to get me going. I was bummed a bit but knew I could still hit my goal of 1:40:00. I at least didn't stop running once I got going, and finished it out. I came towards the finish line made the last turn (.5 mile or so) and tried to jack it up and beat the guy that passed me earlier. I couldn't I literally had nothing left. And I was happy about that. I had used every ounce of energy I had and left it all out on the course! I got closer and could see the time and it read 1:35 I knew I had made it I was going to crush my goal and I did!

Get better at running, which is why I did this.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, looked for some food to eat but nothing really that great. Grabbed a half a danish and some sport beans. Jumped in line for a massage because my hammy was screaming at me. Grabbed a water bottle and drank about 3 or 4 of those (couldn't find anything else to drink). Waited through all the awards, being a good sport not because I thought I would place. It was fun to hear the others times and how I can catch them in my head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The second run. I need to continue to improve on my running which I will.

Event comments:

Good race I'll do it again. Just would like something to eat after the race of some type of substance.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:52 | 03 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 264/286
Performance: Good
Upload later but was around 175 for most of the race.
Course: Flat 3 mile loop with right turns...I think.... good loop though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:40:15 | 11 miles | 16.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 186/286
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Fun course with some good hills and flat sections. Ass was feeling the burn for sure going up some of them.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:21 | 02 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/21
Overall: 275/286
Performance: Below average
Course: Shorter 2 mile loop started and finished the same as the 3 mile but went through a school to shorten it up.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-25 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Subject: Halloween Wrentham Duathlon

2009-10-25 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2478322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Halloween Wrentham Duathlon
JRowe - Great job - You are clearly making progress!  Looking forward to seeing what you can do in the 2010 Tri season!
2009-10-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2478585

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Thanks can't wait either.... Any interest in the Half Mary in Hampton this Feb??
2009-10-27 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job! You're kicking butt - sweet kilt too. Congratulations...thanks for the RR.  It's pretty clear you're having an awesome time and that's the whole point! 
2009-10-27 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Thanks it has been a blast just can't wait till next season.... although I have an 8k in my sights on turkey day and a half mary in feb. Which should be fun! Good luck at IMAZ!!!!
2009-10-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2482206

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice race!  Was that your first du?  Dus are pure torture - that second run always sucks.  Love the pic - looks like you were having a lot of fun.

2009-10-28 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2484435

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Yes it was my first Du. I was planning on only running a few 5ks and doing this du after I trained for it a bit... However, some how this tri bug bite me and I jumped into a sprint back in Sept. The second runw as fun. Glad I did it will do this race again next year to see my improvement. Hows Minny this time of year? Must be fun training in the coming months.
2009-10-29 6:07 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Nice job! You'll be amazed at the difference next year will bring.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Halloween Wrentham Duathlon Rss Feed