Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Mid Pacific Road Runners Club
Total Time = 1h 59m 29s
Overall Rank = 383/992
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/77
Pre-race routine:

Since Mike and Sammi were meeting me there I actually got to sleep in a bit later. I got up, ate, dressed, grabbed my stuff and headed out the door to meet my friend who was driving.
Event warmup:

Soooooo did not warm up since they only had ONE bathroom open and there was a line from hell. We finally learned there were porta potties on the other side of the park so we ran over there only to find everyone complaining about no toilet paper. Somehow I totally lucked out and got the one that actually did have some. The race was about to begin so we ran to the start, stretched for a minute then off we went! And to think we thought we were leaving in plenty of time to avoid this!
Run
  • 1h 59m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan! My plan was to start out nice and easy ~ something I am NOT good at. I forced myself to hold back and not worry about those passing me (even when I had to stop and tie my shoe when the lace kept hitting my other leg and I knew it was too loose to begin with!) I kept telling myself to worry about ME for I knew I could do this if I just stuck to my plan. I started getting antsy when I knew I was close to the turn around and started letting myself go a bit faster but really wanted to make sure I had enough left to let it all go at the end. I had planned on taking in only water at each station but only a few gulps as I always tend to drink too much then have stomach issues. I stuck to my guns and did just that ~ only a few drinks then dumped the rest on me. I had a gel just past the turn around and started increasing my speed. Around mile 5 I realized that my tempo runs had all been 5 miles and I was able to push 8 minute miles so I started picking it up a bit more at each mile marker. This worked like a charm 'cuz I was passing people left and right and was only passed by one guy who I was able to keep in my sites until just the finish. When I realized I had ONE mile left I told myslef that is nothing. I can do anything for ONE mile ~ especially when I looked at my watch and realized I had 8 minutes to finish in 2 hours. For the next 3/4 mile I looked at the person directly in front of me and told myself I was going to pass them and did just that...until I came to yellow shirt guy (who I now know as Jeff.) I had Jeff in my sites but when I got to him he was staying with me. Soooo, I decided Jeff was just going to have to help me get to the finish ~ I looked at him and said "we're making this in under 2 hours!" He smiled back and said, "That's the goal." I looked ahead and said "Oh, we're going to make it!" The finish line came into site about 1/4 mile ahead. I saw Jeff look at his watch. "It looks so far away" he said. "Nope, it's right there..come on!" We picked up the pace. As it got closer we kept getting faster and I realized I wanted to puke. I saw we were going to cut it close so I gave it everything I had and started sprinting even faster and Jeff was right there with me when we crossed the finish line! I turned around and congratulated him then swallowed down the feeling that I was going to throw up and went to find the water.
What would you do differently?:

I am so happy with what I accomplished but next time I think I can push it just a bit more in the beginning and still be good to go at the end! I may have held back a bit too much but I had so much fun AND met my goal so I can't really say it was a limiter!
Post race
Warm down:

After getting water I walked down the road a bit to meet my friend who I knew was coming in soon. I started stretching as I waited then I saw Jeff coming. We introduced ourselves and he thanked me. I asked him what for as all I could think of was how he had helped me get to that finish line the way I did. He asked me if I had seen one of the girls in front of us ~ the one that had the wing tattoo on the back of her neck. I told him no as I tend to get tunnel vision at the end of a race. He looked me in the eye and said "either way, that girl may have had wings but YOU were my angel today." That made my day even more special. I thanked him and congratulated him again then off he went to try and find his son and I turned to see my friend coming in!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing!

Event comments:

The only 2 reasons I didn't give this race a higher rating was they had run out of a lot of the food when I went to get something (which to their credit wasn't until after I had found Mike and Sammi)and there really weren't any volunteers or people cheering you on along the course. Two somewhat petty reasons but still ~ it's motivation! :)

Last updated: 2009-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/77
Overall: 77/992
Performance: Good
Course: Start at Kapiolani park, out towards Hawaii Kai, then back down and around Diamond Head to Kapiolani park finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-09 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: Val Nolasco

2009-11-09 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2505720

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Val Nolasco
WOW! Great rankings overall and in your age group! Way to develop a plan and stick to it, too. So often people make a plan and then abandon it in the race (been there, done that, and paid the price). Now you know what you are capable of and can adjust for next year. Again, super job! You definitely rocked your first 1/2!

I better look out next year! You're going to be breathing down my neck (if I'm lucky and you don't pass me up) .
2009-11-09 10:47 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Completely over the top job out there Michelle!! Quite the negative splits....your last mile in under 8 minutes!!!  You should be very proud of yourself.  You have had an awesome year!!
2009-11-09 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
I actually don't know what to say. You friggin' rocked this run. Period.

I was paticularly impressed with your splits. Damn near textbook. A sub 8?, the last split?, are you kidding me? And yes, I know the hill at the end, didn't seem to phase you at all.

Very good job Michelle, Mike and Sammi should be proud.
2009-11-10 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Awesome job!!!!!  Congrats!
2009-11-10 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
GREAT JOB!!!! AWESOME RACE!!!

2009-11-10 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job! That qualifies you as an FOP'er in my book especially being in the top 25% of your age group. You rock!
2009-11-12 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Wow - great race!
2009-11-13 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Kickin' @$$ and takin' names! You did an excellent job. I especially like the part about how you motivated someone to the finish line and them him saying you were his angel - brought tears to my eyes! VERY COOL KARMA. Keep up the great work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Val Nolasco Rss Feed