BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-03-07 5:58 AM
in reply to: #2709217

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED!
trishie - 2010-03-05 9:03 AM
maria40nc - 2010-03-02 8:40 AM Wow... I need to catch up with ya'll!  I haven't been checking in.  Was feeling pretty down for awhile do to some knee pain which I thought was an overuse injury.  But it turns out I have arthritis!  I never would have guessed that.

Anyway, now that I have meds, I feel much better and have picked my training back up.

I need to scroll back to see what ya'll have been up to!

Hey --- good to see you here Are you still planning on doing the HM this month? Will the knee let you ??

Absolutely plan to run the half mary!

I ran my first race of the season yesterday, the Rumba on the Lumber 5K. 

It was a 5K PR and I won 2nd place AG!  Official results not posted yet, so I don't know my overall raking.

I NEVER even considered that I would break 8 min miles, but I finished in 24:34 for 7:55 min miles

I wore my old faithful Mizunos that have over 400 miles on them.  I've been suspicious that my new Brooks might be what's causing some health issues.  My knees and my arch felt great.  But my lungs were about to explode!  I wanted to give up but I remembered everything that was said to me about mental effort, digging deep, and pushing through the discomfort... so that is what I did.  I was NOT going to stop unless it was to puke.

This was my very first race EVAH last year after completing the Couch to 5K program, so it was fun to finally make a full circle and start over again.  I ran it 6 min faster than last year!!!

I'm ready to switch gears now for those loooooonger distances. 

Next Race:

Tobacco Road Half Marathon
March 21
13.1 miles

Initial goal is to break my last HM time which was 1:57:47.  I would love to shave some time off of that and work towards being able to BQ a full mary by the time I age up.  I have a year before I'll do a full, so there is still time!

Edited by maria40nc 2010-03-07 6:12 AM

2010-03-07 6:04 AM
in reply to: #2711937

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Pam - Congrats on the 10K!  woo hoo!  You're going to love your garmin!

Tania - I honestly think you will surprise yourself with being able to do the Tri.  Just keep training.  You will feel more confident as the race approaches.  You still have plenty of time.

In my humble opinion...  step away from the cheetos!  (and all other processed foods)  Real food is best and will give you more nutrition and energy. 

Edited by maria40nc 2010-03-07 6:08 AM
2010-03-08 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2576738

User image

Pro
Burbs
MARIA: Congratulations !! a 6 min PR for a 5K is HUGE --- that's almost a 2 min/ mile improvement ! very nicely done --- what a difference a year makes, right ? and 2nd place AG ? you ROCK !! Good luck at the Tobacco Run HM --- based on your training lately I think you'll smash your PR.

TANIA: First, breathe. You wonder how you'll pull all three together on race day but trust me: you'll just be able to. Adreneline will kick in and you'll surprise yourself. As far as diet, Maria is right: "real foods" are best... lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. That said, please send some baked cheetos my way. thanks!

PAMELA: Congrats on the 10K!! Sub 60 min is a great goal and you smashed it. Wooooo for the new toy -- let us know how you like the Garmin !

STEF: l.o.v.e. the bike. Princess PITA - that's an awesome name !
2010-03-09 5:37 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Thanks Trishie!  That race was definitely a motivational start to the new season.

I attended an Injury Prevention Clinic last night.  A lot of the balance, stability, and stretching exercises we were shown are things I do in my yoga class.  I can typically only squeeze in yoga once a week, but even that seems to really help.  So ladies, if you can include yoga into your routines at all, I highly recommend it.  There was also a big article in Triathlon Life magazine about the importance of yoga for a Triathlete.  Plus it feels good! 
2010-03-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2715674

maria40nc - 2010-03-09 6:37 AM So ladies, if you can include yoga into your routines at all, I highly recommend it.  There was also a big article in Triathlon Life magazine about the importance of yoga for a Triathlete.  Plus it feels good! 

heartily seconding!

i have been practicing since i was 16, and can't imagine doing the training we do without the flexibility, balance, and core strength yoga brings.  on top of all that, the breathing stuff makes me so, SO much calmer come race time.

in fact...i didn't realize how tough it's been for me to go from doing yoga almost daily, to maybe getting around to it once a week, due to this ramped-up training schedule for the HIM.  and i think i was beginning to succumb to some "overtraining" symptoms...like a runny nose for 3 weeks, inability to get my hr up in some workouts, etc.  and, i was cranky without my "centering" time i've become so used to having.  so...new training schedule!  maybe less s/b/r minutes overall, but more yoga will make me a happier triathlete (and human being). 
2010-03-10 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2715941

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

Hi Gang,

Well, I got my new Garmin 310XT and we aren't getting along all that well yet. I went for a bike ride Sunday and forgot to turn if off when I got home so I have 36 mins of me walking around my house after an hour ride and I can't figure out how to clear that part Tongue out

Then Last night I went to a coached track run  (that's a whole 'nother story, geez, the guy tried to KILL me Frown) and I somehow accidentally LOCKED the Garmin when I went t start my run, took three laps to clear and still not sure how I cleared it!

When I got home and went to upload/download? (not sure which is correct Garmin lingo) the data,  it said there was new software to download which turned out to be a 30 minute firmware upgrade that somehow WIPED OUT my entire memory back to square 1, have to re-enter everything! Sex, age, blah blah blah.

Hmmmmm...does anyone else hear whining? ? ?

oh oh.

never mind,
life is good, got two legs, three dogs that love me and a hearbeat...

Pamela Cool

2010-03-10 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2711937

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
waltontl - 2010-03-06 2:54 PM I'm starting to freak out. 

I can swim the 500 yds, bike the 16 miles, and run the 5K easily, each individually.  But I have no confidence that I could do all 3 at once.  It occurs to me that I should be training extra distances to ensure that I can make the sprint distance that is required.  So I am ratcheting my training up to make sure I can do it at the end of May!

On a separate note, I am soooo hungry ALL the time.  Plus, they now make baked Cheetos!  Life is good.

I am humbly asking for any and all advice about training and dieting.

Thanks guys,

Tanis

Someone may of already asked this..but are you doing bricks? Practicing bike+run, swim+bike, transitions, etc. really helped me prepare for my first Tri. I had done the entire course three times before race day...

I KNOW you will do great.

Pamela
2010-03-13 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Gang.

Sorry for my long absence. Things sure have been hectic around Here. I plan on taking part of tomorrow and catching up on everything I missed.

Here are the updates on me. As I posted earlier, I finally got my tri bike. Still haven't been able to ride it but hopefully I will remedy that next weekend.

Last weekend I ran the Snickers Half Marathon. Going into the half I "felt" injured. My knee was not happy with my sudden rush back into running activity. Well I decided to do the Half at a Galloway 1/1 interval. I had already decided that I wasn't any where near PR trained and feeling gimpy, I just figured I would play it safe with a 1/1 and walk when needed.

Fast forward 13.1 miles later, I finished in 2:43:31 which is only 4 minutes behind my PR and I did the entire race in a 1/1 interval. I Felt Awesome. I think my knee just needed some time to ease back into running after the crazy end to last years season. I am feeling a bit more confident than before.

Luckily I dont really have any major races schedule for the near future. (Well I have a 12K in one week that was reschedule from February but I am taking that easy too). SO now begins my focus on becoming a faster runner and building my base in the other two sports.

I am excited to read what yall have been up too. I can't believe the season is already starting for some people out there.

2010-03-18 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Hello ladies!!

I apologize for my absence --- I was out of town for a couple days and didn't have any internet access (quelle horror!)

How is everyone's training going?
2010-03-18 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Stef: congrats on half marathon !! very cool that you were only 4 minutes off of your PR with having to walk. Take it easy and build up that base s-l-o-w-l-y !

Pamela: sorry to hear about the Garmin any luck with it recently ??

Tania: You are making me really want to start practicing yoga ! I can never seem to get into it. Any suggestions for a beginner?

2010-03-18 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2724987

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
stefanier - 2010-03-13 5:41 PM Hey Gang.

Last weekend I ran the Snickers Half Marathon. Going into the half I "felt" injured. My knee was not happy with my sudden rush back into running activity. Well I decided to do the Half at a Galloway 1/1 interval. I had already decided that I wasn't any where near PR trained and feeling gimpy, I just figured I would play it safe with a 1/1 and walk when needed.

Fast forward 13.1 miles later, I finished in 2:43:31 which is only 4 minutes behind my PR and I did the entire race in a 1/1 interval. I Felt Awesome. I think my knee just needed some time to ease back into running after the crazy end to last years season. I am feeling a bit more confident than before.

Stef, congrats on your Snickers Half-Marathon...did they hand out snickers candy bars? Anyone ever had one of those decadently delightful Snickers Ice Cream Bars? They are delicious!!!

Pamela

2010-03-18 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2733481

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Trishie!

Garmin sharmin..piece of %&$*!!! We are working things out..apparently the new firmware has some bugs..and they are BUGGIN me Yell

Training going well, leaving tomorrow on a four-day ski trip, probably the last of the season. Spring conditions, 400" base but should be sunny and 40-50.  Need to pack! I am a terrible packer...easily distracted

Everyone have a great weekend! Spring is almose here! It has been sunny and in the 70s here all week..UCSB Tri is this weekend in town.

Pamela Cool
2010-03-19 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Steph - Great job with your race!!!

Pam - Yes I've been handed snickers at a race before!  There were some sort of Snickers Marathon Energy Bar.  Not bad.  Enjoy your ski trip!

Well... I finally gave up on going it alone with the swimming.  I've hired a coach who is doing three sessions with me. 

The first session was pretty hard!  She gave me all kinds of crazy awkward drills that feel totally unnatural.  But if it will help, I'll do it.  She says I over-reach my arms to far inward in front of my head rather than straight in front of my shoulders which is causing me to snake a bit through the water.  I'm going to increase swims next week in order to incorporate the drills and try to master bilateral breathing.  I now feel comfortable with the movement, I just getting out of breath too fast.

I was told the other day that the only way to get into Ironman Florida is to be there the day registration opens at the race site.  Then I was told it is the same weekend as Beach to Battleship (which I'm signed up for)!  I was heartbroken for awhile until I found that B2B is actually a week later this year.  So my training partner and I signed up as volunteers for IMFL so we can be there to register for 2011.  It was almost scary as if I had just made the commitment for an IM.  Registration is still 8 months away, but then there will be NO turning back...

Tobacco Road half marathon is this weekend!  I don't usually post goals because I get totally obsessed with making them.  I'd be semi-content with <1:57:00, but I truly want <1:54:00.   There.  I said it.  Now I am NOT going to obsess over it!  (yes I will)

2010-03-19 11:29 AM

glad to hear everyone is training hard and doing great!

stef- go you!  i'm running a half sunday and my left ankle has been feeling wonky.  i bought new shoes that i thought were great, but after 2-3 runs...not right for my stride.    so i might be adopting a walk/run pace...although of course i want to hit it hard and smash my PR (maria our time goals are about the same!  good luck to you).

pam- eep on the garmin.  ugh.  my timex bodylink has SUCKED pretty much since purchase, so i'm shopping around for a new toy...was leaning toward the garmin 405, but i'm not sure about the touch bezel.  i've heard the polars are pretty delightful too.  sigh.  i feel like all i do is tri-gadget research sometimes!

so, some great news that leads to less-great news, on my front.  the good first: i won a prize in an opera competition sponsored by the Polish foundation in NYC, and they're paying for me to go to a big international singing competition in Warsaw this May!  i'm really excited and honored and a little stressed about all the Polish music i now need to master (i do not speak the language, nor is it my heritage...was pretty surprised they decided to send me, but no complaints!).

but the bad news is that it's the week after IM Orlando.  since i've never raced that distance before, i'm just not sure how long my body will need to recover, especially adding Florida humidity into the mix.  and what if i get injured, or something else unexpected happens that sunday, and i need to  bring my a-game when i fly to europe the following friday...so...i've decided to pull out of the race.     

it's been a tough week.  the mean inner voices keep telling me i'm a failure and a quitter and there's no reason why i shouldn't be able to do it all.  but...i want to ENJOY it all too.  i want to enjoy the training process, and i want to enjoy preparing to go sing for various important opera people in europe and hopefully advancing my career a little bit.  i've been sacrificing singing time for training time, which isn't right considering what i want to do.  then i become resentful about my training hours and unmotivated to do anything.  vicious cycle.  so, i know i'm making the right decision, but that doesn't mean i'm not a little sad about it.

so, with the help of the wonderful bf (nice to have a built-in coach as your sig other!), i've re-tinkered my training schedule to keep my evenings free for practicing and voice lessons.  i'm now aiming for barb's race as my first HIM, an all-women's race july 31 in my hometown.  barb is a very cool, inspirational lady and the race is for a great cause.  i think it will be an awesome first race (perhaps better than orlando): http://www.vineman.com/Barb_s_Race.htm/>
and to further save time, i'm going to zero in on improving my run leg (weakest link), and spend a bit less time in the pool (strongest), because i think i'll achieve greater gains in fewer training hours that way.  plus, i'm toying with the idea of guaranteed entry into nyc marathon for 2011...so, gotta get those 9 nyrr races under my belt.

sigh.  always a balancing act!!!
2010-03-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2735787

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Erika - Congratulations on the singing award and the trip to Europe!  Woo hoo!!!  That's a once in a lifetime offer that you can't pass up.  I can certainly understand your disappointment in canceling your Tri, but you can only fit so much into your life and still remain sain!  There will be other opportunities for you to compete at that distance if you still have the desire.  Follow your dreams!!!
2010-03-21 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Well, I just got home from Raleigh and the results are in!  My last half mary was 1:57:47 and my goal was <1:54.  I PRed this race AND surpassed my goal.  I finished this one in 1:52:23 for an 8:35 pace.

I even had room to push harder, but I knew early on that I as going to make my goal and decided not to take a chance on burning out, so I stayed steady.

I really think I can qualify for Boston 2012 when I do my full mary next Spring. I'll be aged up to 45 by then and only have to <4:00 which is a 9:09 pace.

I won't be able to build my run much with Tri season upon us.  But as soon as my last HIM of the season is over, I am a "Marathoner in Training!"

My goal is to Boston qualify the Myrtle Beach marathon in February 2011.

2010-03-22 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2738665

maria40nc - 2010-03-21 4:07 PM Well, I just got home from Raleigh and the results are in!  My last half mary was 1:57:47 and my goal was <1:54.  I PRed this race AND surpassed my goal.  I finished this one in 1:52:23 for an 8:35 pace.

YEAH!!!!!  congrats maria!!!

i went 1:51:17 yesterday, beating my pr of 1:58:37.  woohoo!!!!!  *pr virtual high five*

i got a little teary-eyed remembering when 8:30 was my "sprint" pace doing intervals on the treadmill.  and now, it ain't no thang. 
2010-03-22 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Woo hoo!  Great job Erika!!!   I forgot you and I had races on the same day!

And NO kidding!  I was running my first 5K at this time last year at a 9:48 pace! 

Racing sure makes me happy.  Someone one the sideline pointed at me and said, "Look at that BIG smile!"  I hadn't even realized I was running with a big grin on my face. 

Laughing

2010-03-23 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Pamela: hope you get everything worked out with the Garmin --- hate when technology doesn't behave! Hope you have fun on your ski trip!!'

Maria: IMFL 2011!!!! how exciting !!!! GO FOR IT!! and WTG on the amazing HM time!! you rock - Boston, here comes Maria !

Erika: congrats on the award! what a wonderful accomplishment I've heard great things about Barb's race and I think you made the right decision. ... and I think there really is something special about women's only races - so much love !
2010-03-23 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
I can only dream of 8:30 minute miles. You ladies rock

I ran a 12K last weekend and beat my previous PR by 3 minutes. That was super exciting for me.

My goals for this week is to stay on the training plan. My husband and I have official started HIM training and it is a butt kicker.
2010-03-28 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Gang, how is everyone doing out there?

2010-03-28 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2743976

User image

Pro
Burbs
stefanier - 2010-03-23 8:23 PM I can only dream of 8:30 minute miles. You ladies rock

I ran a 12K last weekend and beat my previous PR by 3 minutes. That was super exciting for me.

My goals for this week is to stay on the training plan. My husband and I have official started HIM training and it is a butt kicker.

Congratss on the 12K PR!

how is HIM training treating you ?
2010-03-29 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Stephanie - Welcome to the world of HIM training!  I'm in the 14th week of the 20 week program.

Yesterday I biked the 56 mile race route followed by a very painful 3 mile brick run.  This morning I did a 3000 yard swim.  And with the half mary last week, I feel pretty comfortable with the three distances, just not sure how it's all going to fit together! If yesterday's brick run was any indication, I am going to be hurting on that segment for sure.

At this point I'm predicting 6:20 to 6:30 hopefully.  But having never done anything like this, it's hard to say.  My main goal is just to get through it!

I have an Oly in 2 weeks and have yet to get in any wetsuit practice.  Hopefully we can hit the lake this weekend.  I was told the water is 55 deg.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!  I'm not setting any lofty goals for this Oly; only want to use it as training for the Half.

Goal for the week is simply to keep training consistently!
2010-03-31 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2754567

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
You guys are amazing...

I  went to the doctor today, second opinion. All I can say is...It sux to get old. I now have had two docs and one PT tell me to stop running.

Hard to be a triathlete..even a sprint triathlete...without running.

<sigh>

'nuff said

Pamela
2010-04-02 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2761887

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
So sorry to hear that!  {{{hug}}}  I can't even imagine how disheartening it is.  How much can you compensate with extra swim/bike?

A friend of mine had planter fasciitis and had to stop running for nearly a year.  He is now the fastest swimmer ever!  ...and definitely strong on the bike too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12