General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best gym bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-30 11:06 AM

New user

Schaumburg
Subject: Best gym bag
I've always been able to find what info I need through the search function at BT, but I'm stumped on this one--I've been carrying my gym gear in this giant tote bag and am trying to upgrade to a better organized bag. (I'm tired of digging around in the black hole looking for my car keys at the end of a workout). All the bags I've seen have been huge--I'd never be able to fit it into a locker, and I'm not interested in carrying an enormous bag anymore.

Should I just by a Triathlon transition bag? Last year I used a messenger bag for my tri's and it worked well but can't really adapt it to the gym. I'd rather have a bag with a lot of dividers/pockets rather than a big open area so I can get a little more organized.

What works for the regular gym goers? I'll have to carry shoes, an extra set of non-work clothes, gym clothes, swim gear, flip flops, a towel and other odds and ends. I have a shower caddy I lug along separately to carry shampoo and soap.

Thanks in advance--I probably should post this in the gear forum but that hasn't been very active lately.

Meredith

2009-12-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2584091

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Best gym bag
I "inherit" my kids' school backpacks every year and that is what I use. Tris have no shortage of places to waste money but gym bags are not one of them IMO.
2009-12-30 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I have one of those giant bags, and I also began to find it cumbersome.

I found a small duffel at a garage sale- has some promotional logo on it and square ends - and I've really taken to it. Initially, I bought it just to have a place to put my workout stuff in my office, for when I run or go to the gym on the lunch break, so I didn't have to bring stuff in every day. I keep an extra pair of shoes, swim cap and goggles, toiletries, etc, in there.
It has two big end pockets - one for swim gear, one for toiletries, and a small front pocket for my watch and lock, and it has one of those clips for your keys. Then there is the main section for my clothes.

Also, I tend not to stuff my bags in my locker. In some ways it would be easier, but I have found it to be less of a hassle if I just set it on the bench by the pool, or in the corner of the weight room, or whatever.  Seems to decrease wear and tear on the bag, and my stuff doesn't get smooshed.
2009-12-30 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
I love my Speedo swim bag. It has a front pocket for keys, wallet, etc. and two side pockets (one vented for wet stuff and one not) in addition to the big standard pocket for clothes and towels and stuff). They make 3 sizes of it. I loved it so much that when my cat peed in the last one I bought another just like it!
2009-12-31 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
I use an old north face backpack I bought in college. It's roomy enough and can hold almost all of my stuff for a race. I usually end up tying my running shoes on my bag so I know I have them.
2009-12-31 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
After losing my glasses the other day carrying my gear to the gym in a little open canvas bag I picked up a small Nike Gym bag at sports authority for $25. I use a zoot mesh bag for my swim gear as well.

2009-12-31 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I use THIS IRONMAN LOGO BACKPACK that I picked up at the official store when the wife and I went to Kona to watch the IM in 2006. This bag has very heavy duty zippers and construction. It comes with one large compartment in the center, smaller compartments on the sides and a "wet storage" area in the bottom. I'm kinda of suprised to see it for sale at WalMart... but then again... no I'm not.

2009-12-31 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Under Armour makes a standard looking gym bag but it has a mat that unfolds from the bag which might be great for wet morning from rain or dew to stretch on. It is not as big as tri transition bags, but a very cool feature.

http://www.ebags.com/products/view/ZoomColorsViews.cfm?fuseaction=imagePop&ModelID=48577&ipsid=48577_1_3&PhotoLink=2&view=bxlrg&sub_site_id=20
2009-12-31 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2586129

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Shaved_Wookie - 2009-12-31 7:39 AM

I use THIS IRONMAN LOGO BACKPACK that I picked up at the official store when the wife and I went to Kona to watch the IM in 2006. This bag has very heavy duty zippers and construction. It comes with one large compartment in the center, smaller compartments on the sides and a "wet storage" area in the bottom. I'm kinda of suprised to see it for sale at WalMart... but then again... no I'm not.

I have this same bag (in blue) and use it as my daily gym bag as well as my commute-to-work bag.

There's a padded phone pouch on the shoulder strap and a small somewhat padded pouch inside the top which works OK for sunglasses. I use the various compartments for various gear; for example the HRM and strap go in one of the outside pockets, my wallet goes inside one of the zippered side compartments, my car keys go in yet another. Clothes go in the bag.

Overall this bag works really well for everything I need.

Edited by brucemorgan 2009-12-31 1:18 PM
2009-12-31 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2586511

Regular
WVarta.PolarRep - 2009-12-31 10:23 AM

Under Armour makes a standard looking gym bag but it has a mat that unfolds from the bag which might be great for wet morning from rain or dew to stretch on. It is not as big as tri transition bags, but a very cool feature.

http://www.ebags.com/products/view/ZoomColorsViews.cfm?fuseaction=imagePop&ModelID=48577&ipsid=48577_1_3&PhotoLink=2&view=bxlrg&sub_site_id=20

I have used this bag now for 2 years with no complaints.
2009-12-31 2:16 PM

My best gym bag is the one I won at a race this past year. Nothing special but it feels good to win something that I can use everyday and its a great motivator.

2009-12-31 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2586712

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've gone through a lot of gym bags and am hoping the one I bought today is the best   I think that backpacks are the bomb.  First, they are a lot easier to carry and not get caught in the door way.  Second, they fit in any locker.  I had a fancy duffel with a shoe compartment, etc, and it was too long for the lockers.  It was also incredibly awkward.

Today I bought an old fashioned Jansport backpack at Target.  I'd been using a really old backpack for the past few months, but decided to get this new one because of the two huge zippered compartments.  Previousl bag had two smaller zippered compartments and one opened so wide my stuff would fall out.  The Jansport is so far very simple and practical.  I loaded in my stuff today and it's perfect so far. 

2009-12-31 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
I bought Nathan's Quick Change Transition Bag last year and I really love it.  Its certainly a lot bigger than a standard backpack or duffel bag, but it keeps you really well organized with all the compartments and sections.  I got mine for $75 from runnersgear.com, but it looks like they don't carry them anymore.  Here are more details on it:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BA299A04-Nathan+Quick+Change+Transition+Bag.aspx?sc=FRGL
2009-12-31 6:37 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I love my North Face Recon back pack.  It's got lots of sections/pockets for specific things and has an outer mesh pocket which is great for wet gear (gym towel, swim suit) and also fits my bike helmet which is great if I'm traveling with my bike.  It's very well padded straps and has chest/waist straps for when carrying heavier loads to distribute the weight well. 
2009-12-31 9:17 PM

User image

I use a large gym back because I carry all my stuff in it for my split day workouts. Swim or Run AM with Shower Travel Kit to Get Ready for Work, Carry Business Cloths, Then Afternoon Workout Gear cloths.

They are installing new Lockers at the Gym and I may rent one so I don't carry less Gear (IE Swiming stuff, Pull Bouys, Fins, Paddles Ect.)

The new lockers can also accommodate my Large Gym Bag. So that way I always have my Stuff with me.

It would be nice to carry less stuff, But sure enough I would take something out of my bag then I would need it for some reason.

That IM Transition bag from WM looks like a pretty good buy. I'm surprised it that Cheap?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best gym bag Rss Feed