TrailHeads
15F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 33s
Overall Rank = 28/277
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 11/55
Pre-race routine:

english muffin w/peanut butter, boost on the way to the race, Gu 15 minutes before. It was 15 degrees, so my warmup was a half-mile in total (1/4 up to the road, 1/4 back to the portalet). Chilly at the start, and debated taking off my vest, but didn't. Should've. Side note; new North Face gloves are the BOMB!! Thank you Lainey for my b-day present. Hands were actually HOT during this race.
Event warmup:

1/4 mile up to Guess Road, 1/4 mile back down, with a few pickups mixed in. My legs were not responding. It was going to be one of those days. I've not had a bad race in a while, but today was a bad race.
Run
  • 1h 20m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

It's been a while since I walked in a race, but some of the uphills were just ludicrous today. I was not prepared at all for this race. My quads were done at mile 1. I was not rested, I was not healthy, my hip is still ailing, and I just had nothing to offer today. I just practiced being a courteous, polite runner today, and cheered on everyone that came past me.
What would you do differently?:

Be healthy, be smart, run more trails if I'm going to race trails. But, this was my birthday present to myself, and a bad day racing beats a good day doing things that suck, so it was a good learning experience. I can't be too down on the time; winning pace for my AG was a 1:07, just shy of a 7:00 mile. I could've probably run a 7:45 on a good day.
Post race
Warm down:

Did the same cooldown that I did for the warmup, minus the pickups. Didn't really try to warm-down, just tried not to freeze up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore hip, no power in the quads, no trail training.

Event comments:

I like the venue. Wish I had more to offer today, but it is what it is. I'm not in a good place with my run right now, but this was a drop-in race. It all points to being ready for Boston in 3 months.

Last updated: 2009-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:33 | 10 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/55
Overall: 28/277
Performance: Below average
Went out too hard. No mile markers on-course, and I covered up my watch, so never had a gauge as to where I was, how I was doing. Hung with a good pack at first until we hit the single-track, then they started leaving me. I think I pointed 10 runners by during the single-track (I have not run on much in the last year, and it showed).
Course: Very technical for 8 of the 10 miles. I hit a root or rock very wrong about 40 minutes in, and thought for a moment or 10 that I had broken my left big toe. I didn't, but it definitely slowed me down for the rest of the race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-09 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Little River Trail Run

2010-01-10 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2605465

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Little River Trail Run
Super race report. I'm sure cold temperature affected how you felt, as I think muscles just don't do as good a job in the cold. (at least mine don't!). Glad you didn't injure yourself, that technical trail stuff can be risky. Did they have Open Eye coffee there after the race? Best coffee ever!

Happy birthday!
2010-01-10 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
It's easy to wear out your quads on that first descent, especially when you have no idea how long it's going to last - I discovered that last year! Great report and glad you enjoyed the course!
2010-01-11 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Good job on a tough race under brutal conditions!

2010-01-12 5:02 AM

User image

Regular
Just saw that you're planning to run the Triple-T. You can get 10% off if you register by February 15th and enter the discount code ENDURANCEMAG. I'm the editor of Endurance Magazine and will be down there myself either running or manning our tent!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little River Trail Run Rss Feed