General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-05-23 3:55 AM
in reply to: #2615846

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread
Oh man this weather blows... Hopefully it lets up shortly. Good luck everyone. See you on the course.

2010-05-23 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Good Luck people!
2010-05-23 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Good luck: No injury.
Bad luck: DNF. Hit something at 22+ MPH, busted spoke, wheel slightly taco'd. Checked it out ... rideable... pulled the bad spoke out then tried to ride a little while and the wobble-wobble-rub-rub got worse. Little devil on my shoulder said "HTFU boy-o, and finish". Little angel said "If keep riding in this rain on that wheel , when people are signing your cast and you tell them this story, they're gonna think you are an idiot". Called for the SAG right around the elementary school. Rode around with the SAG for well over an hour watching people who did not know how to take a wheel off their fork/frame try to change a tire (with guidance from SAG mechanic, but not actual help). Then ...

... finally, cold, wet, and bummed, heading in for one more rider pickup ("... gal on a red bike" says the SAG radio-director)  and you'll never believe who crashed (no injury, thankfully, but skinned up...) , and then double-flatted.....

Edited by jsselle 2010-05-23 2:23 PM
2010-05-23 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Holy S#^T Scott! WTF? You pulled a Normann Stadler type luck today...two flats and wobbled wheel....it just was not your day to say the least!  Just know that you would have kicked butt had these things not happened to you!  I feel for you and hope evrything is cool despite this.  Glad you are unharmed!
2010-05-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2876630

Pro
yep,
jsselle - 2010-05-23 3:16 PM Good luck: No injury.
Bad luck: DNF. Hit something at 22+ MPH, busted spoke, wheel slightly taco'd. Checked it out ... rideable... pulled the bad spoke out then tried to ride a little while and the wobble-wobble-rub-rub got worse. Little devil on my shoulder said "HTFU boy-o, and finish". Little angel said "If keep riding in this rain on that wheel , when people are signing your cast and you tell them this story, they're gonna think you are an idiot". Called for the SAG right around the elementary school. Rode around with the SAG for well over an hour watching people who did not know how to take a wheel off their fork/frame try to change a tire (with guidance from SAG mechanic, but not actual help). Then ...

... finally, cold, wet, and bummed, heading in for one more rider pickup ("... gal on a red bike" says the SAG radio-director)  and you'll never believe who crashed (no injury, thankfully, but skinned up...) , and then double-flatted.....

I think I saw a gal on a red bike too

Bummer about the ride.  I think I was able to slide in right under 3 hours. 
2010-05-23 5:01 PM

Expert
Nope, 3:02 I think (I just checked).

I survived.  About as well as I could have done on absolutely zero fitness - and that is no joke.  Had to "Sunday cruise" the bike so that I would be able to run.  No issues in the swim for me thank God.

I can't complain, had pretty much the best race I could and didn't overdo it for a few more minutes early that would have killed me later.

Great job everyone!  Sorry to hear about the bike issues jsselle.

2010-05-23 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2876630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD

.. and got stung by a wasp while innocently sitting in the back of an ambulance attempting to get warm while waiting for AN HOUR AND FOURTY MINUTES for the SAG vehicle at the folly quarter circle!!!

Karma was totally against me today but it was a pleasant surprise when the SAG vehicle finally arrive, they opened the back, and there was Scott! Although I was bummed to see that you were getting a big DNF too...

Crash was coming off 108 turning right onto homewood.  I stayed down in aero, took the turn just fine, but I guess was going to fast because before I knew it, both wheels were out to the left and I was palms, shoulder, hip down to the right.  No skidding, no wobble, just smooth as ice down onto the pavement.  I got up brushed off, assessed the damage [legs were shaking cause I was a little scared having just crashed at 20ish mph but it just looked like I'd be a dirty, slightly bloody finisher] and kept going... the rest is in my RR...

Hips hurt like hell now.  It's more so the left one not the right one that I landed on with a huge 5" round bruise on it.  I feel like someone grabbed me by my hips and jostled me around well beyond the point where I was screaming bloody murder.. pretty sure it's just soreness and will go away in a few days.
2010-05-23 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
Met my goal of finishing without injuring myself. On the last mile of the run, I noticed the crowd cheering louder in my direction.  I thought that was pretty cool, but when I glanced back, I noticed they were actually cheering for Mayor Fenty. I was getting excited because I actually beat him to the finish line, only to find out that he started 8 minutes after me.  

Oh well, at least I didn't re-injure anything.
-Nick 
2010-05-23 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Tough luck, Scott. I think there was a lot of flatting and wrecking going on out there today. The course seemed to be lined with people standing around waiting for help. Saw lots of bandaged arms and legs too. It was definitely sketchy in spots.

I finished about 8 minutes off my goal, but I am still totally psyched about the results. I lost most of the time on my run. I thought I had a 42' 10k, but totally didn't feel it off the bike today. My bike was awesome, 42 seconds within my goal, and averaged 20 mph.

Nice race, Road Pheonix, CJ, and everybody else.
2010-05-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2876807

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
dolelicious - 2010-05-23 6:16 PM

.. and got stung by a wasp while innocently sitting in the back of an ambulance attempting to get warm while waiting for AN HOUR AND FOURTY MINUTES for the SAG vehicle at the folly quarter circle!!!

Karma was totally against me today but it was a pleasant surprise when the SAG vehicle finally arrive, they opened the back, and there was Scott! Although I was bummed to see that you were getting a big DNF too...

Crash was coming off 108 turning right onto homewood.  I stayed down in aero, took the turn just fine, but I guess was going to fast because before I knew it, both wheels were out to the left and I was palms, shoulder, hip down to the right.  No skidding, no wobble, just smooth as ice down onto the pavement.  I got up brushed off, assessed the damage [legs were shaking cause I was a little scared having just crashed at 20ish mph but it just looked like I'd be a dirty, slightly bloody finisher] and kept going... the rest is in my RR...

Hips hurt like hell now.  It's more so the left one not the right one that I landed on with a huge 5" round bruise on it.  I feel like someone grabbed me by my hips and jostled me around well beyond the point where I was screaming bloody murder.. pretty sure it's just soreness and will go away in a few days.

Sorry you guys had bike issues, and am glad everyone is basically OK.  There's always other races.
2010-05-24 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2876807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
dolelicious - 2010-05-23 6:16 PM

Sorry both your races ended prematurely.  I'm glad you're both OK.  I feel a teeny bit better knowing that I am in good DNF company. 

2010-05-24 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Despite the weather I still ended up with a PR by 5 minutes. Everything improved except swim. Hurting today.
2010-05-24 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Big round of applause and thank-you's to all the volunteers.  It wasn't much fun to be out pre-race getting ready in the rain -sometimes heavy, but there were lots of volunteers out there with us doing a great job.  All of you guys were great and very friendly.  A particular thank you to the lake volunteers.

You guys rocked!
2010-05-24 10:25 AM

User image

New user
Eldersburg, MD
Maybe next year is the year for good weather. Sorry to hear about all the trouble on the bike. I'm glad everybody is ok though. Due to a knee injury from a skiing accident, I no longer run so I do the relay and Mrs jeffthecyclist does the swin and run. I give you triathletes a lot of credit and respect! Like brownnugen, my goal was a safe ride. I took the circles and the twisties by the reservoir pretty easy. I beat my time last year by 2 1/2 minutes and my bike place for mixed relay was 5th... because 2 teams did the ride at a pace of 30,000 mph and 45,000 mph! I am pretty sore today but as always, had a great time. Many thanks to those that got there early to do body marking in the rain and to volunteer in other capacities!

Edited by jeffthecyclist 2010-05-24 10:29 AM
2010-05-24 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you or people you know had friends or loved ones out there on the course yesterday, please give them a big hug from me. Going past the private school in Glenelg, there was a group ringing the first cowbells I'd heard and it moved me from glacially slow to just merely slow. All the bells, whistles and claps were awesome, as was the dude blasting Gary Glitter with his portable stereo. Good times. 
2010-05-24 3:54 PM

User image

New user

Lusby
Awesome race!  I have to admit when I woke up and seen the rain coming down I was thinking of some reason (any reason), not to do the race but I figured after the entry fee plus hotel etc... I had better give it a go.  I had a goal of 3 hours and missed it by 11 minutes which I really had no problem with.  I will definitly be up next year to tri it again! 

2010-05-24 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2878800

User image

Expert
MD
Did anybody else think the crowds were larger this year than in the past? Not just in the park, but along the bike route, I thought so.

How about the lone drummer on hill #1 of the run. Was that a beat to march into battle, or a death march?
2010-05-25 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2879281

Pro
yep,
econway - 2010-05-24 6:06 PM Did anybody else think the crowds were larger this year than in the past? Not just in the park, but along the bike route, I thought so. How about the lone drummer on hill #1 of the run. Was that a beat to march into battle, or a death march?

I have no idea.  that guy wasn't really on any kinda beat.  More just slapping the stick on the snare?!

2010-05-25 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Well my first Oly is under my belt. I was slower than a turtle once out of the water and I got my first race flat out of the way so Im pretty happy about everything.

The damp weather allowed me to freeze my valve in the open position along with my fingers with the CO2 cartridge.

Overall I am pretty pumped about just finishing. Everyone I know who does tris kept asking me why I chose Columbia (which they say is one of the tougher Oly courses) as my first so just finishing, and not finishing DFL has me excited.

Am I the only one who thought of William Hung of the percussion world when they got to the first hill on the run?

Edited by nhunter344 2010-05-25 8:47 AM
2010-05-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2880246

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
nhunter344 - 2010-05-25 9:46 AM Well my first Oly is under my belt. I was slower than a turtle once out of the water and I got my first race flat out of the way so Im pretty happy about everything.

The damp weather allowed me to freeze my valve in the open position along with my fingers with the CO2 cartridge.

Overall I am pretty pumped about just finishing. Everyone I know who does tris kept asking me why I chose Columbia (which they say is one of the tougher Oly courses) as my first so just finishing, and not finishing DFL has me excited.

Am I the only one who thought of William Hung of the percussion world when they got to the first hill on the run?

Columbia was my very first tri back in 2007. I just didn't know any better. 
2010-05-25 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2880064

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Dlaxman31 - 2010-05-25 8:16 AM
econway - 2010-05-24 6:06 PM Did anybody else think the crowds were larger this year than in the past? Not just in the park, but along the bike route, I thought so. How about the lone drummer on hill #1 of the run. Was that a beat to march into battle, or a death march?

I have no idea.  that guy wasn't really on any kinda beat.  More just slapping the stick on the snare?!

LOL, yeah but he seemed to be having a lot of fun doing it.

2010-05-25 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2881823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
dalessit - 2010-05-25 6:18 PM
Dlaxman31 - 2010-05-25 8:16 AM

LOL, yeah but he seemed to be having a lot of fun doing it.

He seemed a bit tired by the time I went through... I wonder if he made it to the end.
2010-05-26 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Just got the link for my pics.

#1: I never take a good bike on the bike. It finally clicked that with my lazy eye I always seem to be riding with my head turned sideways. Actually pretty funny.

#2: There's a pic coming out of the water where I'm unzipping my suit but it looks like I'm picking a giant neoprene wedgie.

For your entertainment:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=59923&BIB=957&S=230&PWD=
2010-05-26 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2883790

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
SCamp07 - 2010-05-26 2:32 PM Just got the link for my pics.

#1: I never take a good bike on the bike. It finally clicked that with my lazy eye I always seem to be riding with my head turned sideways. Actually pretty funny.

#2: There's a pic coming out of the water where I'm unzipping my suit but it looks like I'm picking a giant neoprene wedgie.

For your entertainment:

Yeah, you kinda look like you had an itchy butt...

Mine are no better.  I'm only in 3 of "my" pics, and none are on the bike.

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=59923&BIB=1315&S=230&PWD=
2010-05-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2883790

Pro
yep,
SCamp07 - 2010-05-26 2:32 PM Just got the link for my pics.

For your entertainment:

Nice pics steve.

I'm bummed out I didn't get any on the bike this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5