None. Had a bar and some water.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 41m 20s
  • 2460 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Beautiful swim. It was a lot of fun and the whole reason I wanted to do the event. I feel like I should have gone much faster and may go up in 2 weeks to do the aquathalon to prove it to myself. Even though I wish I had gone faster I am pleased with having done it. Any future Alcatraz swims should be easier not that I have a better idea of what to expect.

I think I did alright with my sighting but I'm not really sure since I was more concentrated on trying to get a reasonable stroke going.
What would you do differently?:

The wetsuit was too restrictive in the shoulders. In adition, I felt very warm. I'm glad I went with a single cap and no ear plugs.

Anyway, I felt like I was fighting the suit the entire swim. I should have done a couple practice swims in the suit first. [Never try anything new the day of!] Perhaps a sleeveless suit would have been better.

Transition 1
  • 08m 27s
Comments:

Double transition. Took suit off and put running shoes on at first transition. Ran 1/2 mile on pavement to second transition area. Switched to bike gear in second transition. Managed to stomach a gu during the half mile run.

Transition was fine.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Disappointed. The bike was hard but I have put in a lot of miles on the bike both flats and hills but I was unable to generate any speed on this course. There were a lot of fast downhills with curves and the course was crowded but neither explains my inability to get up to speed on the flats or to power up the hills.

My only thought is that fighting the wetsuit took a lot out of me on the swim. Upper body felt very cramped especially left arm after the swim.

Go faster. I felt like I was standing still.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Transition went fine.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 15m 22s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went much better than I expected it would. After the bike I was resigned to just getting the run done. Ended up running next to a very nice woman for the entire 8 miles. She pushed me to run faster than I probably would have especially after the horrendous bike.

I had been sick leading up to the tri and never really managed to get my running distance up. Train more for the run. This result is defintely better than I expected given the amount of time I have spent running lately.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Ate. Ate some more. Drank some water. Called my friends who didn't make the trip.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wetsuit hurt me on the swim. Not sure what happened on the bike but something was going on there. Lack of training for the run (however must state again that I am happy with the run result for that day and course).

Event comments:

This is a well run race. My one complaint would be the lack of bathrooms on the course and it would have been nice to use one after the bike. 3 support stops on the bike. One each mile for the run. Sandwiches and stuff for after the race were catered by Boudin...the cookies were excellent.

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:20 | 2460 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 42/255
Overall: 205/1517
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predator 2
Course: Alcatraz to beach
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:52 | 18 miles | 14.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/255
Overall: 1047/1517
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly. All up or down very little flat except for the beginning and the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:15:22 | 08 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/255
Overall: 840/1517
Performance: Good
Course: flat first 1.5 miles then up the hills on a trail. A lot of steps and other stuff. Single track until you get to Baker's Beach. Beach run for 1/2 mile or so with soft sand at beginning and end of 1/2 mile. Then turn around and do it all backwards. One exception is the 400 step sand ladder that you take from Baker's Beach back up to the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz

2005-06-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #173996

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz
Wow! Nice work. Sucks that you're not happy with your wetsuit.

I was in SF on Friday evening and saw the transition area - or rather, one of the transitions. Did you drop off your wetsuit & swim gear when you got your running shoes on for T1a?

What's the sand ladder?

Any shark sightings?
2005-06-13 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Boudin?  Did someone say Boudin???  Wow, I would race just for Boudin's food

All joking aside, I think you did a terrific job.  Sorry your wetsuit didn't work out for you.  I grew up on CA and went to SF a lot.  I always wondered how far the Alcatraz swim was.  Congrats Triathlete!

2005-06-13 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice race! Congratulations!
2005-06-13 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Bummer about the wetsuit but it might have felt better if I had practiced in it so I have no one to blame but myself...besides this gives me a better excuse to try the swim without the wetsuit.

To answer Kirby's questions:

I dropped off my wetsuit when I came out of the water and put on running shoes to run to the main transition area. Probably not the fastest way to go but I'm not hardcore enough to run barefoot for 1/2 a mile on pavement with my wetsuit still half on.

As for the sand ladder. It is a set of steps that go from the beach to a trail above Baker's Beach. The steps are 6 to 8 inch in diameter logs with rope railing running along the sides of the stairs. Basically it was like doing stadiums on irregular steps in the middle of an 8 mile run. I was feeling alright but those steps made it painfully clear that I was going to have both a) a sore back and b) extremely tired legs when I was done because everything was screaming trying to go up those steps. Here's a picture: http://www.envirosports.com/exec/enviro/images/sandladder.jpg

As for the sharks I didn't see any but then again I had a really hard time seeing much of anything. I could see big things like the buildings I was aiming for, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate bridge, etc. but for whatever reason I didn't see very many other participants or support boats and thus felt very much by myself during much of the swim. Kind of makes me think I didn't take the best route. All in all the event was fun and the post race food was excellent!

I highly recommend the event.

Mike
2005-06-13 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Don't worry about the swim, the currents were against the swimmers on the day. Everyone was coming out of the water at a slower time than they were expecting. Sometimes it's like that swimming in the bay. If the currents aren't right, then well, you're not going to break any speed records.

I'd think that your bike performance was due to the fact that you felt you worked too hard on the swim. The swim can really take you down a peg on occasion.

2005-06-13 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome....this seems like it is "THE event"...at least to me. Congrats on such a great feat.
2005-06-13 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Awesome job Mike,

Congrats on just getting the job done.  This race is one that I have on my "Must Do" list.  I am hoping to do it next year, we'll see if I am ready.

Congrats again.

2005-06-14 12:05 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
I was thinking about everyone I knew who did Alcatraz this past weekend.  It originally was on my schedule, having qualified at the Westchester Triathon last year.  I thought i was going to have a major conflict with my A race being two weeks later, but that didn't pan out as planned, but I'd already blown off my spot.  Maybe I canqualify again, and give it s shot next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Rss Feed