United States
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 08m 30s
Overall Rank = 67/478
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/30
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0430 and had a quick cup of coffee and bagel before heading to get a spot in transition. Because the transition area was on the host hotel grounds, it was just a quick walk and then stand in line waiting until 0500 and the official opening of the transition area. Lots of nervous chat among some of the people waiting in line but met some more cool triathletes! Because we were a bit early we all got body marked then too so we didn't have to wait in line for that. After getting a primo spot on the rack, went back and had a glass of OJ and some oatmeal to round out my prerace meal. Took my time getting my transition set up and had plenty of time to talk with my TNT teammates before the race. About 20 minutes before race time, I found that someone had shoved their bike in between mine and the person next to me, where there was NO room. What an idiot. The other person who got shoved out of the way was not nearly as diplomatic about it as I tried to be but the moron wasn't about to move so we let it drop. A bad omen to start the race day though!
Event warmup:

Swam about 150 yards in the surf to warm up. Then everyone gathered on the beach, and with the sun peaking over Mt. Haleakala, we all sang the National Anthem. Following that, a native Hawaiian Holy lady gave us all a traditional Hawaiian blessing. It was very cool.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

This race has always had very calm, serene water for the swim. Of course this year had to be different. The trade winds were affecting the Islands for a few days prior to the race and the swim was in pretty heavy chop with some swells over 3 feet. The longest legs of the swim course were perpendicular to the swells so it was like being in a boat and wallowing between them. Needless to say, there were many, many people who got seasick, yours truly among them. I never did actually lose my breakfast but there were several people who did. However, I was so sick that I couldn't really focus on swimming. It was more just survival mode. There were lots of sea turtles and fish along the swim course but I didn't see any on race day...probably because I was focused on not puking! Sighting and navigation went pretty well, considering I hadn't done much open water swimming yet this year. All the swim times for the race were much slower than previous races, obviously because of the mismarking of the course but the overall pace was quite a bit slower as well, just because of the rough water.
What would you do differently?:

Not get seasick! Be a bit better at navigation.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

T1 was the hardest I've ever done. After the swim, we had about a 100-125 yard run along the beach, in the sand. From there it was up a few stairs and down a cobblestone path to the turn into transition. There was a large shower setup there that everyone went through to rinse off the salt water and I took a few extra seconds there to rinse off well and rinse out my mouth. From there it was another 50-60 yards to my bike. Transition was on the fairway of a golf course so my feet were covered with grass clippings when I got to my bike. Took a few seconds to wipe off my feet before putting my socks on, drank a healthy swallow of GU2O (which NEARLY came right back up!) and then ran my bike to the mount area. This was on a narrow cart path with a bit of an uphill pitch and was a bit interesting getting clipped in and going.

Not too much to do different. Just a tough transition with the beach run and the distance from the water to the bikes.
Bike
  • 1h 24m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Because I was so sick from the swim, if I even THOUGHT about drinking or swimming, I wanted to blow lunch. So this is where the race went south for me. I just couldn't hydrate or even eat GU. I drank a little bit but not nearly enough given how hot and humid it was. So by about 1/2 way through the bike I could feel myself starting to bonk so I made up my mind to just try to enjoy the rest of the race, I was in Maui after all, and not push too hard. The views from the bike course were really beautiful and the downhills were exhilerating, so I just put it in cruise control and enjoyed the ride.

Not be sick!
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Pretty typical T2. Helmet off, hat on, shoes on...go. Legs felt ok, not terrific, but not bad either.

Nothing.
Run
  • 59m 45s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Still felt sick but not as bad. I was able to drink some water and a little bit of HEED on the run. And they had these wonderful, ice water soaked sponges that you could soak yourself with about every 1-1 1/2 miles! Talk about a godsend! I really was lazy on the run, just because I knew I wasn't going to do the time I wanted to and I decided to enjoy the view and have fun...so I did!

Nothing. I enjoyed the views and landscape and had fun. Could have gone quite a bit faster but who cares!
Post race
Warm down:

When I finished my nausea was gone so I drank...and drank...and drank! Lots of water! Had some oranges and grapes then got a massage. After the massage, there was a huge BBQ put on by Outback Steakhouse so I feasted on steak, rice, and salad! Talked with my teammates, cheered the other racers coming in and generally had a GREAT time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting seasick...ugghh!

Event comments:

This was an outstanding race! The only glitch was the swim...don't know how you get off by 400m but oh well. About 80% of the competitors in this race were from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Team In Training. All combined, the teams from around the country raised over $1.4 million for leukemia and lymphoma research and treatment! It was a great weekend for a great cause and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to race in Hawaii! Also, got to meet fellow BT'ers Bob (ropkins), Sharon (snikpos), and Tonya (trz)!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 1900 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 199/478
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Kind of a strange course. At the start we swam out about 300m to the first buoy and turned right. Another 250-300m to the next buoy and turn left. About 250m to the next buoy and turn left again, then about 500m to buoy number 4. One more left turn there and then mostly a straight 500 or so meter shot to the beach, with just a shallow right turn at the last buoy. Now here's the bad part. If you were doing the math above, you've figured out that this was longer than the advertised typical 1500m Olympic swim course. AFTER the race, the swim director told everyone they had mis-measured the course and it was 400m TOO LONG!!! Geez!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:24:00 | 24.8 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/30
Overall: 37/478
Wind: Some
Course: Very, very hilly course. The first 1/4 mile was a bit of an uphill until you got to a goat hill that was over 20 degrees I'm sure. Thankfully it was only about 30 yards long! Some rolling hills for about two miles and then a steep uphill for about 1 mile. This was the hill that really killed the average pace of everyone. I felt sorry for the folks who weren't able to do any hill training before this race...lots of them walked a good share of this hill. From there, the course flattened out a little bit but was still somewhat rolling for the next few miles. Then there were some longer up and downhills, and then down the long hill. On one of my descents of this hill I hit almost 42mph but the problem was, at the bottom there was a sharp 90 degree turn. They had hay bales set up and more than a few people hit the pavement there. I think I wore down my brakes to the metal on this one! Back to the start, up that b*^#*h of a short, steep hill again and back for the second loop of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:45 | 06.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 127/478
Course: Not a single flat spot on the course! You were either going uphill or downhill. The first 1/2 mile was brutal with very steep golf cart paths that you just had to kind of shuffle up. I heard some people saying that in past years, the winners of the race had walked these hills...they're that steep. Thankfully, none of the hills were long, but they were really annoying. You just couldn't get any kind of rhythm going. On the plus side, the run course was fantastically beautiful! Most of it was right along the shore, with views of the surf crashing onto the lava and the beaches. About 1 1/2 mile of the run was through stark lava fields on the flank of Haleakala. Awesomely beautiful!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-15 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: King's Trail Triathlon

2005-06-15 5:17 PM
in reply to: #175529

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-15 9:19 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: King's Trail Triathlon

Nice work considering the circumstances.  Hawaii?  Tri?  No seagull attack?  No tiger shark attack?  You put one over son someone...

Great race, stan, glad you had a good time.  We'll pick an easier one to set the PR at next time...

2005-06-15 11:42 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

AWESOME JOB STAN!! I am very proud of you that you didn't hurl, although if you'd a done it like I taught you--you'd a been fine!

Glad you had a great time in Hawaii!! 

2005-06-17 12:27 PM

Regular
Dearborn, MI

Woo Hooo!!!  Sorry you got sick!!

Glad you had fun!! 

2005-06-17 7:21 PM
in reply to: #177099

Elite
Texas

Way to go! Don't tell your pilots you got sick.

2005-06-21 11:42 AM

, Alabama

Great job Stan!  It was nice meeting you at the race.  Nothing wrong with a little hill climbing...it's the hill DECENDING that scares me!  A good time was had by all.  FYI, we just got in late last night and besides a quick note in my training log YOUR RR was the first place I went today!  BTW, I did see a huge sea turtle during the swim.  Maybe I should've been concentrating more onthe race, eh?

Sharon

2005-06-22 5:20 PM

Kodiak, Alaska
AWESOME race!! GREAT job.
2005-06-22 9:58 PM

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great meeting and racing with you. Sounds like you did pretty good with all that sea sickness. I guess living in Florida we had a much easier time of the ocean swim and dealing with the heat. Those hills caught up with us though! See you there in 2007!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » King's Trail Triathlon Rss Feed