United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 47s
Overall Rank = 44/275
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/40
Pre-race routine:

Just so you know, I'm typing this in the middle of an SEC audit. Yeah, it's that boring...

Drove to Charlottesville the day prior and got a hotel. My nephew was with me, and although I love the kid, he grates on me like nothing else. The last thing I needed was more stress. Woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. Got to the site a little later than I wanted (my rack was crammed as usual), set up my transition area, and got in the 30 minute bathroom line. Came out and had about 15 minutes to get into my wetsuit, cram down my clif bar, and get down to the lake.
Event warmup:

Consisted of me hopping around at the pre-race meeting to get into my wetsuit, and then a few arm circles. Could of used a little more time...
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 528 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The odd distance should = .3 of a mile. First OW lake swim, and not bad considering the morning's rush. Started off right in the middle of the wave (we were all on line), and immediately began pummeling and getting pummeled. It calmed down about 50 yards out. This was also the first time I had to really try and use a sighting technique, and it worked remarkably well- I stayed right on course. About 1/2 way through, when I was sure I was DFL in my wave I started coming up on the stragglers from the wave in front of me, who started 3 min ahead of us. Nice. Turns out I was smack in the middle of my AG wave. Whooda thunk- the swim is usually my weakest leg.

ETA that someone really needs to show me how to draft.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more :)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a tough time getting out of the suit, even with Bodyglide. Need to practice that more. Went to hop on the bike and had a hard time clipping in. The mount line was slightly uphill, so I lost my momentum before I was set. I'm sure it looked pretty awkward from the sidelines.
Bike
  • 57m 29s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 16.18 mile/hr
Comments:

The course started out in the park with a pretty severe downhill, which means it was going to end on that same severe uphill. Right after bombing down the hill it went up- before my legs were warm and I nearly cramped. Got to the top and figured it was going to be a rough ride. Turned left and headed out onto the road. Tried to spin at a higher than normal cadence to get some heat in my legs. Did that for about 5 minutes and started feeling better. About 5 or 6 miles in I am climbing in my aerobars and I realize my knuckles were touching (I usually have about a 1/2 inch gap between them). The bolt holding my right bar in place had come loose and it was slipping. I managed to brace it against my other hand to make it rideable, but it also made bombing down the hills a bit "twitchy", if you know what I mean. Eventually made it back to the transition in a decent time, considering my control issues. I looked at my bar in the transition area and there was CF dust all over it from rubbing. Not good.

Not break the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good job of getting out of the shoes while still on the bike
Run
  • 28m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

T2 time is included in the run. It took me a good mile to get my legs back. Again, not bad considering the bike leg. I had two near catastrophic tripping instances, but fortunately my cat-like reflexes (heh) kept me upright. They also had no water at the stations when I got there, just overly sweet energy stuff- I almost launched it back up. I was passed by 3 people during the run, none of which were in my AG, so I take that as a good sign. The chute at the finish was too short- I came through flying (still got a good kick :)) and nearly took out the chip-cutter-offer guy because I couldn't stop on the gravel in time.

Brick more.
Post race
Warm down:

Some light stretching and my recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Terrain, gravity, training.

Event comments:

Toughest race to date. Although a sprint, the hills (and I have been training on hills) took alot more out of me than I expected. Overall, had a GREAT time. That's what counts.

Last updated: 2005-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 528 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 55/275
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Triangle with R-hand turns.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:29 | 15.5 miles | 16.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/40
Overall: 41/275
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: T1 time is included in the bike. Holy hills Batman! This course was just plain rude. There were no flat stretches- you were either going up or down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:25 | 03.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/40
Overall: 84/275
Performance: Average
Course: This is why you should pay attention to the race description when you register. This was a trail run. I honestly didn't realize that until I showed up at the race. (oops) 3.1 miles on a course that was just as rude as the bike. Almost all single track MTB trail, complete with roots, rocks, and other instruments of tripping.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 12:13 PM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Charlottesville Sprint Tri

2005-06-20 1:10 PM
in reply to: #178832

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Charlottesville Sprint Tri
Great race there....Glad you did so well with the swim...comgratulations
2005-06-20 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

You're the man Mike!!   Massive hills AND trails make it a rough race.  Remind me not to let you ride MY bike!!

2005-06-20 5:19 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Great race, Mike!  Congrats on the first OW lake swim.  Sorry to hear about the bike woes and the trail running...but it looks like you came through just dandy
2005-06-20 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Nice work, mike. The usual stuff that gets the folks down...equipment issues, transition issues, OW swim navigation, OW swim jostling - didn't seem to get you...that's decent planning, or just a good ol' f-it, let's race attitude.  Either way, nice work, nice fun, outstanding effort..

2005-06-20 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
All I can think of is that photo you posted on the other thread...
ummm - HOTTIE!!!!
BTW - Great race

2005-06-21 5:10 AM
in reply to: #179233

Master
Colorado
La Rakusillian - 2005-06-20 7:39 PMAll I can think of is that photo you posted on the other thread...

Awe Maryke, you say the nicest things
2005-06-21 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
I did this race too and thought it was just insane! Its nice to know I'm not the only one that wasn't thrilled with the bike and running segments. This was definitely a way harder race than I was mentally prepared for.
2005-06-26 9:39 PM

, Alabama

Just read the RR.  Great job.  Had to be a bit disconcerting finding out the run was offroad!  Glad to hear you stayed on your feet for that one!  Sounds rough.

Sharon (and Jordan)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville Sprint Tri Rss Feed