General Discussion Race Reports! » Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 43m 50s
Overall Rank = 24/198F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/34
Pre-race routine:

We drove to Wilmington on Saturday and spent the night with Jennifer (my daughter) and Brandon. On Saturday afternoon, Jen and I drove to Wrightsville Beach to pick up my race packet. It was in the 70's out and you could tell when we crossed over the bridge to the beach. The place was packed! Traffic was backed up. It took us forever to get to the hotel.

The morning of the race, I woke up at 4:00. I had my breakfast - a cup of coffee, an Ensure and a banana. I normally eat a bagel and peanut butter before a race, but I am on a gluten-free diet and can't have the bagel. So I substituted the Ensure.
Event warmup:

I parked at the finish line in Mayfaire and took the trolley to the start line. I arrived just before the first trolley left. The first trolley didn't know where to go, so he dropped us off just over the bridge into Wrightsville Beach, but on 76. We ended up having to walk through fields in the dark to cut over to 74 and then another half mile to the start line. Then the bad drop off was another 1/4 mile from there. So, I did plenty of walking before the race. I also did some dynamic stretching. Then just waited for the start (which was 10 minutes late).
Run
  • 3h 43m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race knowing I could PR and Boston qualify without too much effort. My PR of 3:48 was 3 years old and my BQ time needed is 3:50. My average (easy) pace in my long runs leading up to this race was 8:30. So, I could run easy and still PR. But I wanted more than that. I wanted to run the race I was capable of - a 3:30. And if I hadn't made a stupid mistake, I might have done it.

I started off fine. I knew I needed to average 8:00 miles to make the 3:30. But my plan was to settle into a comfortable pace at first and then pick up the pace later if I could.

I trained for this race using Gatorade Endurance and GU gels. I knew this race was using HEED, but I had never used it. I was hoping it would be alright because I don't normally have a sensitive stomach with different sports drinks. I had planned to take a gel every hour and drink the HEED in between. So, at the first aid station I grabbed a cup of HEED and drank it. A few minutes later, my stomach started to hurt. It calmed down some and at the second aid station I took another one (these were small cups too). It did the same thing. So, I decided I would be better off not drinking the HEED. I would just use my gels and water. I wasn't thinking about electrolytes (it never even crossed my mind).

The first 20 miles of the race went well. Because of the course set-up, we got to pass the spectators on Military Cuttoff Rd 3 times. I spotted my family at the 3 mile mark and knew just where to look for them after that (which was nice - something to look forward to). My pace felt good and I felt like I could run all day.

We had nice weather for the race, but warmer than we had trained in. I never felt hot during the race though. But I was definitely sweating. I tend to be a heavy sweater. By 4 miles into the race, my hair was already drenched. I looked like I had dumped water over my head. I looked around at the other racers and some of them looked like they weren't sweating at all. :) But I wasn't concerned about my sweating because I am used to it.

I passed my family for the last time just before the 20 mile mark. I was still doing alright at this point, but just as I turned off into Mayfaire, my left foot cramped. I tried flexing my toes to get rid of it. But it wouldn't go away. So, I slowed to a walk for a few seconds. It went away and I started running again. Then it cramped again. The last 5 miles turned into a torture session. I would be cramps in my feet or hamstrings, slow to walk them out and then try to run again (I never stopped moving though). I finally realized at this point that I probably hadn't taken in enough electrolytes. So, I decided to start drinking the HEED again. I figured it was probably too late to save my race, but I might be able to salvage some of it (and a stomach ache at this point was probably the least of my worries). So, the next aid station I hit, I grabbed some (and every aid station after that). They must have been running out, because it was watered down. I could barely taste the HEED anymore. Drinking it was probably a waste of time.

I kepted moving but was really mad at myself. But I was apparently not the only person suffering. The marathoners were pretty spread out at this point. But in the 5 miles that I ran/walked, I wasn't passed by a single person - but managed to pass 3 people!
What would you do differently?:

Either carry my own sports drink or at least bring some electrolyte tablets!
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, I found my family. Then I walked to the bus with my bag - the bus was as far away as it could get! :) Then I went looking for some Gatorade. I went to the food tent, but all they had were bottles of water and mixed HEED in those big Gatorade jugs. So, I grabbed a cup to get some. It was also really watered down. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but then I remembered that I had a half a bottle of Gatorade in my bag that I was drinking from before the race.

I saw that they were offering massages and decided to get one (my legs were still hurting). All of the tables were full, but there was a chair open. Just as I was sitting down, my right calf cramped (the worst cramp I have ever had). I thought I was going to scream. Then as he was working out that cramp, he started to straighten my leg and my hamstring cramped. The entire time he was working on my legs, I was pressing on my abs because one of the mucles was knotted badly. He was a student, and his instructor finally came over to help. She decided I needed a table and moved me. It took 2 people the next 30 minutes to get my legs to stop cramping. After that I was fine as long as I was standing or walking. But if I tried to move any differently (like to sit on the ground), I would cramp again. That lasted a couple of hours.

I stayed for the awards. I didn't think I would place because I lost 13 minutes in those last 5 miles. But I wanted to see what times the winners had. It turns out that I won 1st in my AG. I was actually 4th in my AG, but they gave Master's awards too. If I had raced smarter and run my goal, I would have placed 1st or 2nd masters (I was only 2 minutes behind 3rd masters).

So, I did PR by 5 minutes, I did get another BQ, and I placed in my AG. But, I am still disappointed. I was capable of better. The competition and the elements didn't beat me, my own stupid mistake beat me! You can be sure that I will never make that mistake again!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own stupidity. I was trying to keep from having GI issues when I cut out the HEED, but it I never even thought about the electrolytes I was missing until it was too late. I know better!

Last updated: 2010-01-13 12:00 AM
Running
03:43:50 | 26.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 24/198F
Performance: Below average
Paces per mile: 8:11, 8:05, 8:02, 8:05, 8:01, 7:59, 8:04, 8:10, 8:01, 8:07, 8:01, 8:01, 8:00, 8:11, 8:06, 8:12, 8:14, 8:12, 8:34, 8:30, 8:59, 9:26, 10:20, 9:53, 9:21, 8:45
Course: The race starts on Wrightsville Beach, goes up Military Cutoff Rd, then 2 loops through Landfall, then the final 10k is in Mayfaire to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-22 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon

2010-03-22 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2739851

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon
Carol, sorry to see things didn't go as you had hoped.  Even though you did SO well, I can certainly understand being disappointed when you know what you were capable of.  Goodness knows I've beat myself up over missing a goal by 30 seconds!

But all in all you did GREAT!  And you should be proud of your accomplishment; I'm certainly proud of you.  You are such an inspiration to me.  I'll remember your lessons when my turn comes...
2010-03-22 3:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC

Running in NC

I also had a HEED race disaster about 5 miles from yours! It was at B2B in 2008. I mixed the HEED too strong in T2 and made it about 2 miles before the stomach went south. Now, I only use water, gels and Endurolytes on the run. It's worked great so far! Way to hang in there and finish. I HOPE to be able to break 4 hrs one day but I know it hurts when you don't hit what you know you are capable of. Awesome race anyway!

2010-03-22 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
That's a great time, even with the stomach issues. You PR'd. I know you are dissappointed in not getting your target. You're a true athlete, so you want to do your best. I think you rock!

Someone told me once never to mix heed and Gu. I don't know why, but I guess it must be true. Sorry you had the gi problems.
2010-03-23 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Great job .HAHA I was on the same bus as you and all the walking to the white bus and getting underdressed . Atleast we have memories that others in the race will not have
2011-03-20 7:54 PM

User image

On your right

Way to persevere with the cramping and still have a PR. 

From what I recall, I thought we started pretty much on time.  The last email I got said that start time was 6:38.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon Rss Feed