General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day: Family members? Friends? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-17 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2797652

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Race day: Family members? Friends?
the bear - 2010-04-16 10:08 PM Shame on your husband. Doesn't he realize this is important to you?

Probably wouldn't have admitted it, but having my wife and kids at my first mini-tri meant a lot. Then, a few weeks later at my goal sprint, most of mysiblings and their families came in from around the state to watch me. Really made it memorable.

Now that i've done a few it doesn't matter as much. I realize it's rather boring from a spectator's point of view. But my wife still makes nearly all of mine (many she does as well), and last year when i did one in my old home town the siblings came out to see me again.

X2 my wife comes to all mine, and when we went back to our home town, my mother, sisters and niece and nephews came to watch. Fast forward to this year, Wife is entering her first one (Same one I did last year), and my niece and sister are entering back up in Buffalo.
Come to the darkside we have cookies !  

2010-04-17 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2797629

User image

Master
I'm I'm racing within 20 minutes, or so, of home, it's nice if my family can come watch me go by a couple of times. It's only once or twice a year, and I get to my wife's 25k and local half marathons, so it goes both ways. I've never asked friends to come see me.
2010-04-17 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2797815

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I start at 7:28, 30-34 age group, purple caps. According to the list they had up a few days ago I'm #760, but that list is gone now so I don't know if numbers might have changed. I'm going to send you a PM too.
2010-04-17 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
None of my friends have ever come to any of my events, unless they were actually competing as well. The only people that come to my events are usually my husband and sometimes my brother (we support him at his races too).

It used to bother me that none of my friends came, especially if it was something that I had been working really hard towards and devoted a lot of my life to. Now I am to the point where I almost feel bad when my husband comes. I know it's got to be super boring, not like he can watch me the whole time on a big screen or something. I think at this point I would be OK if I went to race by myself (unless it was one of my big races), but I would definitely have not been OK when I first started at all. So you don't seem silly at all to me! As someone suggested, try to find some other ladies to talk to. Good luck and I hope you have a good time!
2010-04-17 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Add me to the list of those who completely understand where you are coming from. And forgive me if I missed this in the thread, but have you shared with your husband how important this is to you? I know you ladies often wish we were more perceptive to your desires, but sometimes we just don't catch on. Is it possible he's not aware how much this means to you.

My first race my wife and kids were supposed to be there, but on race weekend my daughter got sick and so my wife stayed home with her. Obviously she had no choice in that, but I still was disappointed to not have them there to share that moment with me when I finished. But, there will still be plenty of others there to cheer you on. Traithlon crowds and fellow competitors are among the most supportive I've ever seen. That's one of the reasons I love this sport.

2010-04-17 9:46 AM

Richmond VA
Great reason to join a tri club or a running club that has some multi sport athletes in the mix. I prefer to go to my races solo - the fam would just be bored. I agree you can meet folks on race day too but if you have a group going you know you'll have friends/support there no matter what.
I do agree with others (as a man) that we can be clueless as to how much something means to you, so you may want to let him know how you feel.
I am grateful for the daily support I get at home that allows me to train for races and have never felt bad that my fam doesn't come to my events.

2010-04-17 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
My kids are too young, but I have tried to bring my family anyway... end up being too much of a distraction.
2010-04-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2797720

User image

Pro
Houston

runninmomma10 - 2010-04-16 9:37 PM I am totally doing this for me and I'm okay with that. I guess I was just hoping that at least for my first triathlon, that I'd have some family there for support. I was also hoping that someone would bring my two daughters because I really really wanted to see them at the finish line.

I am sorry.  I would be sad too.

Who is watching your daughters while you race?  Any chance they could bring your daughters?

2010-04-17 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
I'm sorry that anyone would have to finish alone. On my 1st sprint about a month ago my wife and parents were there to cheer me on and it was great. Ever time I came through transition and when I finished they were there. Without them it would have been a very lonely experience.
2010-04-17 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

Usually I have supporters (some combination of husband, sister, parents, friends) and it is nice to know that there is someone there.  I like having someone to hang out with while I'm waiting for my wave to start, and it's also nice to have someone to meet up with at the finish.  Plus, we usually go out for food, or have a post-race beer, stuff that isn't as much fun by yourself.  However, I understand that people have their own lives, and things to do that are more important and/or enjoyable to them than watching me race.  Occasionally I have to race alone, and that's fine.  I still get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

2010-04-18 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Sorry to hear that your husband is not gonna be able to make it to your first event.  While I am lucky in regards to my wife / daughter / parents always coming out to watch, the other athletes that you will meet are super supportive and helpful.  I have been involved in sports my whole life and I can say without reservation that triathletes are by far the most supportive, helpful and down right nice people that you will meet.  Maybe if your husband knew how much it meant to you that he be there, he could make it work.  Good luck with your tri you will do great.  Happy Training

2010-04-18 2:52 PM

User image

New user
I am the only one out of my friends and family that races, which can at times be rough since it seems a lot of people know each other before the race, so I just try to chat it up.  I recently joined a tri club so that if I am at a race by myself, there is a good chance I can meet up with them.  I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge baby when it comes to family being at races.  Anytime I sign up for one, I tell my parents and fiance and on the sly ask them if they're free that day lol.  My fiance is a full-time baseball coach, so it's nearly impossible for him to get to races.  My parents though have only missed one, and at my first half mary today, I decided to put stick on letters to my shirt on the back that said "Thanks mom and dad"  I'm 23, but there is still something really great about getting a big hug after putting yourself through helll  
2010-04-18 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2797799

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
runninmomma10 - 2010-04-16 10:40 PM That's a good idea. Wonder if I'll have any fellow BT'ers in my age group at Lone Star?

I am pretty friendly so I am sure I'll find someone to chat with! Hoping that will make me feel better about being alone!

Have you posted over in the thread about who is doing Lonestar?  I can think of at least 3 ladies doing it....I'm sure there are more and they may be planning a BT meet up.  So, even if they aren't in your AG there could be a friendly face to cheer you along.
2010-04-18 3:07 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
double post.

Edited by QueenZipp 2010-04-18 3:07 PM
2010-04-18 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
A few things: first, shame on your husband for not recognizing your efforts and making the time to support you.  Triathlon's are a boring experience for friends and family but the first one is special, as are 'milestone' events (moving up to a HIM or IM, for example), you'd expect some support for those. 

That said, competing in triathlons is a lonely experience...it has to be done for yourself, there's so many hours of solo riding, running and swimming and while there can be thousands of competitors at any given race it's still just you, your thoughts and the clock.  So regardless of who's there (or not there) to cheer you on you have to remember that you're doing this for yourself. 

I've actually found that having friends competing in any given race is more important to me than having family or friends there as a cheering section.  It's awesome seeing people after the race and getting congratulations but I love the extra push that having friends in the race gives me, and just talking about the race with them afterwards.   
2010-04-18 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I would be sad if my family hadn't come out to support me in my first race, and many since then. I have only had one race in which no one came, but I was dropped off and picked up. Having said that, after a couple years, I don't expect anyone to come and almost feel bad if they do, notwithstanding I think it is a kinda cool way to spend a day, hanging out with a bunch of buff people, gets you outside. Even a 10k or HM is a fun event to go to, imho.

Anyway, don't be too hard on your husband. Guys can be tools. you know, unless you told him specifically that you wanted him there.

2010-04-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2798127

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
bayrunner - 2010-04-17 10:46 AM ........ I am grateful for the daily support I get at home that allows me to train for races and have never felt bad that my fam doesn't come to my events.

x2

My wife and daughter saw my third race because we made a weekend of it and although it was a sprint (1 hour-10 minute), that was a really boring 3 1/2 hours for them (pre-race, etc).  All other races have been within driving distance and getting them up at 4am to see me go through my pre-race stress is not worth it.  So if it is out of town/overnight, then I'd drag them along.

After every race, I call them on the drive home to thank them both for putting up with me and the time I spend away from them doing something I truly enjoy. 
2010-04-18 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
I'm so glad I posted this here. I debated. I think it really bothers me that no one is coming just because it's such a huge milestone for me. Sure I won't beg them to come to future races but this is my first! First are important in life....this is very very important to me. I've worked so hard and would have liked to see someone that I love there to see me through the end!

I am constantly jealous of those people that have family there. But, I'm also proud of myself for doing this for myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day: Family members? Friends? Rss Feed  

of 2