General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day: Family members? Friends? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-16 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race day: Family members? Friends?
This is going to seem silly to some I'm sure...but out of curiosity, does it ever bother anyone when no one shows up for your race?

I'm racing my first tri on the 24th and so far, I've got zero supporters, aside from the fellow triathletes I've met at my gym. My husband decided to take off of work this weekend for a cook off so he's lost his off days which means he cannot attend my very first triathlon.

My heart aches for this. I'm being petty I'm sure, but it would be nice to get to see some supporting faces at the end.

Does anyone else understand this?

2010-04-16 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2797629

User image

Subject: RE: Race day: Family members? Friends?
runninmomma10 - 2010-04-16 4:56 PM This is going to seem silly to some I'm sure...but out of curiosity, does it ever bother anyone when no one shows up for your race?

I'm racing my first tri on the 24th and so far, I've got zero supporters, aside from the fellow triathletes I've met at my gym. My husband decided to take off of work this weekend for a cook off so he's lost his off days which means he cannot attend my very first triathlon.

My heart aches for this. I'm being petty I'm sure, but it would be nice to get to see some supporting faces at the end.

Does anyone else understand this?

I hear you...I had zero supporters at my first tri.  I didn't know ANYONE!!!  I recognized a few people, but didn't know one person.  I still had the time of my life.
2010-04-16 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
dont worry, no one comes to watch me... but i do it anyways.  Although it doesnt really bother me, i do the races for me.
2010-04-16 9:08 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Shame on your husband. Doesn't he realize this is important to you?

Probably wouldn't have admitted it, but having my wife and kids at my first mini-tri meant a lot. Then, a few weeks later at my goal sprint, most of mysiblings and their families came in from around the state to watch me. Really made it memorable.

Now that i've done a few it doesn't matter as much. I realize it's rather boring from a spectator's point of view. But my wife still makes nearly all of mine (many she does as well), and last year when i did one in my old home town the siblings came out to see me again.
2010-04-16 9:17 PM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
All of my endurance events have been in random places far away from where my friends and family are.  I travel all the time, so I usually pick events on my travel schedule, so no one has ever really shown up to see me.  The only time was my friend who surprised me at the finish line of the DC Marathon with a Heineken, but otherwise I'm actually down in central Virginia at the moment racing on my own and trying to convince my dad to come to the HIM Rev3 in Knoxville that I'm doing, only because I know he and my mom always have fun cheering people on at the IM WI every year in Madison, where they are from.  I think it can be lonely when you get to the finish and no one is there to congratulate you, but at the same time, I do it as a challenge for myself, so I am usually just happy when I cross that finish line with the time I was hoping for.  Since I fly solo, I tend to stick around until the final finishers and cheer them in, which is also a lot of fun for me.  Depending on the distance from home, I do think the significant other should show some support, but also remember, they have supported you through all of those early mornings/late nights that you had to train and they maybe got the short end of the stick, so be sure to thank them for that as well    

Good luck in your first race!
2010-04-16 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
Before the start of my race (my first) this past weekend I kept looking for my wife and daughter.  When I finally saw them heading into T2, it put the biggest smile all my face. Laughing 

If it is important to you, it should be to him also.

2010-04-16 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I had family join me once and they never even saw me.  I have no problem going solo.

Edited by ejshowers 2010-04-16 9:29 PM
2010-04-16 9:31 PM

User image

Pro
MA
It's nice to have someone around, but I learned on my first race that tri is not a spectator sport.  My brother, the BF and a couple of friends came watch my 1st race.  They got there before 7am, stood around for 5 hours, only to see me a few minutes here and there.  It was a big race with 15 waves.  Once my wave started, I disappeared in the water.  20 min later they saw me passed by to T1.  Then I disappeared for over 40 min on the bike course.  They saw me again for 2 min at T2, and I disappeared for another 30 min.  I felt bad for them.  After that, I told them not to come to my race, and they never did again. 
2010-04-16 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
I am totally doing this for me and I'm okay with that. I guess I was just hoping that at least for my first triathlon, that I'd have some family there for support. I was also hoping that someone would bring my two daughters because I really really wanted to see them at the finish line.

2010-04-16 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Aw, I'm sorry no one will be there! I'm lucky that my husband and two kids will be there Saturday with me, and they have been at all my 5 and 10Ks (but always missed me finishing) - but in some ways I think this makes me more nervous! They are all really proud of me for doing this...what if I don't live up to their expectations and don't make it, and they are all there to see me fail? Ugh. My daughter (9 yrs old) is REALLY excited, she has a shirt to wear that says "Swim Mommy, Swim! Bike Mommy, Bike! Run Mommy, Run!" She loves to run herself and has done a bunch of kids K races and is "training" to do a 5K with my husband on Father's Day, so she is all into the whole race thing.  Its a lot of pressure, I don't want to let her down.

2010-04-16 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

No one wants to get up early enough to go with me.

2010-04-16 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
My husband and kids have all gotten up in the dark to go to my tris.  They know it is a big deal to me.  They have all been involved in some way or another with my training so they are invested in it too.  Knowing they are out there watching around some corner has often kept me from walking on the run when I feel like giving in to the temptation.  Seeing them on the bike makes me grin like an idiot.  Plus, my tri last week was in a lake alongside a bridge so I could hear my daughter running along and shouting for me as I swam...that was super cool. 

I am so sorry you won't have family or friends to cheer for you.    BUT you will still have people cheering for you! My advice is talk to the gals around you in transition and as you line up at the water's edge.  Then you can encourage each other if you pass on the course.  Also, my first tri someone on this website looked for me and met me in transition and we started together.  That was fun.  She also waited for me at the finish to cheer me in.  Is there anyone on BT doing the same tri?  Arrange a meet up the morning of the race.

Good luck!  We will all be cheering for you here!
2010-04-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2797792

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

akrenik - 2010-04-16 8:36 PM My advice is talk to the gals around you in transition and as you line up at the water's edge. 

I think if I told my wife that is what I do on race day, she might just come to cheer me on.

2010-04-16 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2797792

User image

Regular
That's a good idea. Wonder if I'll have any fellow BT'ers in my age group at Lone Star?

I am pretty friendly so I am sure I'll find someone to chat with! Hoping that will make me feel better about being alone!
2010-04-16 10:48 PM

User image

Master
My wife did her first triathlon with a group of girls from the local Y. I had no idea how important is was for her to have me watch. I had really planned to sleep late that morning. I went and had a good time. I liked the idea so much I decided to try it myself. Several years later I'm training for an IM. She was my toughest competitor at first. She then became my training partner and is now my coach and support person. It has brought us much closer together. I would let your husband know how much you would like to have him there.
2010-04-16 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2797799

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I'd happily cheer for you at the finish, but I'm sure you will be finishing WAY before me (considering I am super slow and you start before me!)  Maybe we can still meet up in transition or something before the race? 

2010-04-16 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2797810

User image

Regular
LOVE the idea! I am racing at 7:20 and I'm in the 25-29 age group, light blue swim caps. What time do you start?
2010-04-16 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN
My wife and kids come to the local race...I tell them to come down when I think I'm going to enter T2 that way they can see me get off the bike and begin the run (5k) so I'm not gone long and my daughter loves to yell GO DADDY GO!!! Which at that point I REALLY need :-) so this year I'm going to get her a cow bell....mom won't like it but she'll LOVE IT lol

Other than that...Most are out of town and as most have said VERY boring to watch.... 
2010-04-16 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
My wife brought my kids to all but my 5k and 10k races last year(Sprint, OLY, 25k, Mary).  She came later for the Mary as I crossed the finish in 3:48 and it made no sense to sit and wait that long.

I appreciated her coming to the races, and the post-race was all the better with them there. 

Tell him.  We guys are a bit dense.  We really need everything spelled out for us. 
2010-04-16 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I'm glad you seem to have found a friend for your race! That's great, and it'll make a big difference.

With regards to your lack of family support, I don't think you're being petty or silly. Your first tri is a big deal! Of course you want to share it with the people who are most important to you! I was very lucky to have a wonderful support crew of my closest friends at my first race (and they've actually been really good about coming to all of my races -- including two marathons that involved and overnight trip!). It meant a lot to me to have them there. Is it possible that a friend of yours could come to your race? Maybe even bring your daughters?

I actually sort of prefer going to races by myself now. When your friends and family are there, it's harder to hang out with the other athletes and make new friends. Plus, I rarely get to stay after the race to watch all of the finishers (which I *love* to do) because I feel guilty making my friends hang out for so long.

So there's an advantage to not having family there with you. And I promise, you will have an amazing experience no matter what!
2010-04-17 12:00 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I finished my first and only IM alone (different country). It was strange but not a bad thing - I had a lot of time to think and ponder things while suffering on the run. I knew people were watching my splits on the computer, but still, you cross and then... ?? nothing. Sort of empowering - it's a solitary event.

Now I kind of think it's selfish for me to want people to come out and watch you go by for 10-20 seconds, as it IS boring. But if they can make a fun event out of it, play on the beach or at the playground then it's better, or visit with other couple/friends.

Do you know anyone else who's racing? Even as casual friends?

2010-04-17 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2797860

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Khyron - 2010-04-17 12:00 AM I finished my first and only IM alone (different country). It was strange but not a bad thing - I had a lot of time to think and ponder things while suffering on the run. I knew people were watching my splits on the computer, but still, you cross and then... ?? nothing. Sort of empowering - it's a solitary event.

Now I kind of think it's selfish for me to want people to come out and watch you go by for 10-20 seconds, as it IS boring. But if they can make a fun event out of it, play on the beach or at the playground then it's better, or visit with other couple/friends.

Do you know anyone else who's racing? Even as casual friends?

Last night I was in the pool and hot tub after a long drive to my triathlon here in VA, which is this morning, and it was funny how surprised the husband and wife in the hot tub were when I said I drove "all that way" from NYC to race in a triathlon by myself.  I am glad to hear you've connected with someone else and keep an eye on the 'RaceLink' to see if others may also be signing up.  Whoever suggested chatting it up with others in the transition is also spot-on.   You'll find you'll probably end up being around others on a similar pace throughout the race and don't be afraid to chat with them, it can help sometimes - mostly during the run, can be a little more dangerous on the bike at times, so be careful
2010-04-17 5:37 AM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

I'm sorry that you feel that way

The reason my fam and friends don't attend is that fact  that most races are held at the crack of stoopid... errr.. dawn.  Wife and kid actually liked going to watch the tri more than say the running races because they got to see me more often than they would in a 5k,10k,etc.  Hope you husband makes it to one of your next races.  

2010-04-17 5:43 AM

Regular
Maine

Seeing it's your first I totally get it.  It's important to you and you want to share the moment with your family.  You're not being petty.

But, without sayng anything more, I'd like to see your thoughts after you complete a few races or a season or two.  I do feel bad for my family if they come to a race because it is boring.  Good thing is we have several races that are "family and kids friendly" in that they have things going on while the racers are out on the course.  Those are the races I enjoy the most by far and I make it a point to have them on my schedule.

2010-04-17 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I actually don't want anyone there at my 1st.  I'm doing a sprint a couple weeks before what I "thought" was going to be my first.  She'll be at the target event, though (she's talking cameras/video.....the whole shebang....lol).  Yeah....she "gets it".  I'm actually looking at a couple I wanna do next year.....in places "we" already wanna visit.  She can come out or not to those.......but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want her to be there (at least for those).  All of them?  Nah.

I wish your husband understood how important this is to you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day: Family members? Friends? Rss Feed  

of 2