General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ah, that's easy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-22 2:09 PM

User image

Subject: Ah, that's easy
Anyone ever get this from your non-triathlon friends? "Oh, it's only a sprint distance? I could do that". And to that I tell them, let's go. But no one has taken me up on it yet.

2010-04-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2810603

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ah, that's easy
No kidding!  Hope you don't mind if I take an opportunity to vent on your thread, but it's related.

I work at a college in HR.  One of our faculty members ran the Boston marathon monday.  I said to the secretary, "Tere is running the Boston marathon today!"  To which the secretary said, "but she doesn't have any leave.  I wonder how she got off work to go."  I said, "perhaps she used bonus leave."  Secretary says, "but faculty are not allowed off on class days." I said, "with something as big as the Boston marathon, her department likely worked with her to cover classes."  Secretary still complained that Tere should not have been allowed off on a class day.  I was like.... an accomplishment THAT BIG and all your worried about is her leave time? 

Secretary says, "Well it's not a big accomplishment to everyone."  Grrrrrr!!!!!

Anyway, I totally sympathize with you on someone minimizing your accomplishment.  I show up at work Monday morning after a race and no one wants to hear about.  But had I found a bargain at a quaint little shop in some little town and they would be all over me for details.

So...... WAY TO GO ON YOUR SPRINT!!!  Woo hoo!!!!!

And remember... if it were easy, everyone would do it.  That's why they don't take you up on it.

You just come in here when you want to talk about your sprints... among people who LOVE to hear all about it and get excited about your accomplishment right along with you!
2010-04-22 3:56 PM

User image

It's not really a gripe I have. I just find it funny that people underestimate how hard endurance sports are. And I consider the Boston Marathon a major accomplishment. I couldn't even attempt to qualify for that race. I do hope to one day compete in a HIM. Got a ways to go first and then some real soul searching as to whether I want to put myself through that much anguish. But I probably will because I enjoy torturing myself and without a lofty goal all the training just becomes meaningless boring exercise to me. I can't even imagine what it takes to compete in an Ironman. Those guys are animals!

2010-04-22 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Thats funny...and sad. Last year after I finished my first half ironman (in the mega heat...I was on a high for a week afterwards with SUCH a sense of accomplishment), my boss, who has done some sprint triathlons (and qualified for Boston 10 years ago) commented at a team meeting that "this weekend my husband did a sprint triathlon (hubby did the White Lake sprint) and Louis did a "half triathlon". A HALF TRIATHLON! Seriously? And this from someone who actually does triathlons and is pretty athletic. Anyway, I am training for another "half triathlon" and can't wait to do a whole one someday :-)
2010-04-22 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
half-triathlon coming soon to a May 1st near you!!!
2010-04-22 5:26 PM

User image

I have a "friend" that found out I did my first IM last year and she begins to tells me she is going to do one. 
Not to discourage anyone, but she does not know how to swim nor does she own a bike.    I have encouraged her to 
sign up for a tri...and she says she is going to do one this summer.  I am intersted to see how it goes.  I really do wish her well!

However, I have to say....respect the sport/distance!    

2010-04-22 7:39 PM

I have gotten that response from a lot of co-workers.  They are like, "I ran a 5k in college, its not that far."  I just smile and continue to train.  I have had one approach one on one and ask all the right questions, he is now bike shopping. 
I understand completely.

2 black dogs
2010-04-22 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I think the general consensus  - to the unknowing, is that anything short of a "Triathlon" (lots of my friends think the IM is the only dist.)  ------------ isn't the same. 

Well duh.

What I don't think they realize.....is how hard it is to get in shape for ANY tri....regardless of the distance (I mean no slight to those who dedicate themselves to long dist. tris.  Just a statement).

Fear is a huge motivator.  My fear is embarrassing myself.....lol.  Not many of my friends know I'm getting ready for my 1st.  If I get comments like these....I'll ask them to join me.

One of my other hobbies/lifestyles is traditional bowhunting.  I found out a long time ago -------

There are some MISERABLE S.O.B's in this world that will tear others down and diminish their accomplishments.  Why do they do this?  They do it to mask their own shortcomings.

Jealousy is an ugly trait.
2010-04-22 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
pctsab - 2010-04-22 3:09 PM Anyone ever get this from your non-triathlon friends? "Oh, it's only a sprint distance? I could do that". And to that I tell them, let's go. But no one has taken me up on it yet.

I thought that myself...until I got in the pool for the first time and felt like my head and heart was going explode after my first 100 yards!
2010-04-22 9:22 PM

I was challenged into my first sprint about five years ago. I was niave, but never took the challenge lightly as I got back into swimming and biking. Sure, most can run a 5k, but triathlon race day is something quite different. The 5K is the last of your worries and the farthest thing from your mind as the swim starts. I fortunately loved the experience. While I haven't done an IM, the three HIMs I've done are my three biggest accomplishments after my marriage (I don't have kids). The percentage of folks that can accomplish a triathlon of any length is extremely small. The ratio of people saying they could but not actually stepping up is only slight larger.

I like watching people getting humbled by a race, God knows I get humbled quite alot.

At the end of the day, a majority of folks just don't get it and never will. Fine by me.
2010-05-22 3:52 PM

User image

Sorry to jump on this thread late...it's been a while since I've been on but I couldn't help but respond!

Assuming the population of the U.S. is 300mil (which it is almost undoubtedly higher), 0.5% of Americans competed in triathlon last year.  That means anyone that COMPETES in a triathlon (most likely all of you) will accomplish more than 99% of Americans will this year.  That should keep you motivated!

I got similar remarks after completing the Rev3 Knoxville Olympic race on May 9.  Someone asked me the distances, I told them, and they said, "Oh, that's not that bad..."  haha.  Congrats to everyone on all of their finishes!  I can honestly say my very first sprint (Hagerstown, MD 2008) was harder than any of the half-mary's, 10K's, 5K's, etc that I had done in the past.  Every distance is it's own animal and should be respected!!!

2010-05-23 5:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
You can't control what other people do or think.  besides, you don't do this for them, you do it for yourself.
Even BT prople are like that.  check out the thread in the general category about the Biggest Loser Marathon.  I wouldn't expect a bunch of triathletes to belittle anyone's accomplishments, but it happens. 
2010-05-26 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2811090

User image

Wake Forest, NC
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-22 6:26 PM

I have a "friend" that found out I did my first IM last year and she begins to tells me she is going to do one.  Not to discourage anyone, but she does not know how to swim nor does she own a bike.   

I started teaching myself how to swim in October when I joined the YMCA.  All I have is a Walmart mountain bike.  A great friend lets me borrow a bike for my races.  This is my first year doing triathlons and have completed four so far (Beaver Dam was kinda tough but was a real confidence booster).  I can't wait to get a bike so that I can do some real training.

2010-05-27 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
HA, I hear ya! I have been talking to / encouraging a guy at my gym to get started in triathlon. I told him I would bring him a couple of training programs he could look at for a sprint - which is where most people in the sport start out (at least that's what I did). We talked about the Sprint distances for each leg and he was like..."man, I can easily do that - no problem. I might just do one without training for it just to see how I do". Okay Cowboy.

I think most people could probably finish 15 miles on a bike and a 5k run...but that 1/2 mile swim for a total beginner who doesn't swim - little bit harder.

pctsab - there will be a day soon that you will look back at the sprint distance and say the same thing as your non-tri buddies - the difference will be that you can actually breeze through the sprint distance and they can only dream of breezing through the sprint distance.
2010-06-06 5:31 PM

Greensboro
Oh I hate that!  It's a pet peeve of mine as well.

Someone I work with gave me this long explanation about how he as a swimmer had a rival when he was younger that went on to do an Ironman. He told me about how his rival wrote a memior following his experience yadayada. I didn't burst his bubble but I'm thinking  like yes, that's called a race report-many triathletes do them after there events.  He then proceeded to tell me how he could do one since his rival did one.

Okay-when he swam competitively he swam the 50/100/200 free big difference than 2.4 miles! Let alone biking and running.

I have a friend who anytime I do an event she has to do a similar one and tries to act like they are the same thing. It's like she tries to take the accomplishment away.  I've even asked her in so many words to stop.  We can support each other without being directly involved. Big difference in a half ironman vs tri, full mary vs half, 5k open water swim vs 1 mile.  

I'm all for people trying new things and have encouraged a lot of people to try tris and longer endurance races but with this one friend in particular it's like enough already!

Edited by ahfarlow 2010-06-06 5:32 PM
2010-06-07 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
We stayed at my brother-in-laws home one year ago while I did an Oly.  He made a comment about doing it with me next year.  HA HA.  Well, to his credit, he now runs 6 miles 6 days a week on his treadmill, bikes twice a week, is trying to learn to swim well and has lost 30lbs.  He rode the bike portion on a relay team this year and did reasonably well.  After the race he did make the comment that "now that I know what it takes".  I just kept my mouth shut and hope he will do all three legs next year.  It feels pretty good that I inspired him to some degree.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ah, that's easy Rss Feed