Set-Up, Inc.
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 17m 45s
Overall Rank = 154/175
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Another night of little sleep before a race...even with Advil PM, my mind was still humming. This is the third race I haven't been able to sleep the night before, need better drugs, apparently. :)
Event warmup:

No warm-up...watched Doug's wave go off, went to the port-o-potts one last time. I should think about warming up, as I didn't feel right until about 20 minutes into the swim.
Swim
  • 54m 25s
  • 2112 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

For the first time ever I had no nerves about the race. I was actually relieved (but felt for Doug) that there were no wetsuits allowed-leveled my playing field. And then the gun went off and I swam 10 strokes in super-clear race water and then I freaked out. I had a good 2 minute anxiety attack, got it together and swam the most enjoyable race swim ever. I love this distance....long enough to find your groove and go and short enough to be done before wearing out its welcome.
What would you do differently?:

Aside from the mini-freak out, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

Good transition.
Bike
  • 3h 28m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I love riding my bike and I love this distance. I always feel strong on the bike, although I know there is lots of room for more speed and endurance. It felt good to pass people and I was so proud when I was done. Almost a half-iron man...it's close, I know it and I can feel it.

Nothing, pushed as hard I as I could. Nutrition was right on, stayed aero the entire time, no pit stops.
Transition 2
  • 07m 50s
Comments:

My T2 time is long because I hit the port-o-pottie to take off my bike top and put on my jog bra and run top. I didn't want to wear that extra jog bra layer on the swim and the bike. Added some body glide and hit the race course.

Figure out the bra/run ratio to save time.
Run
  • 3h 42m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow. I had no idea how hot it was and how hot I was until I got off the bike. Every mile had a station with food, ecaps, and icy cold towels. I could not have made it without those towels...which I grew to hate by the end of the race. They represented the hottest run ever and I hated needing them. It was something between 96-98 degrees and the heat coming up from the blacktop was worse. I told myself to walk as fast as possible until I cooled down a bit and then run, that never happened. Mile one, saw Doug-he looked fried-eveyone did-it was insane. On mile two I fell trying to take my ecaps...shit. Lost 1/2 of my ecaps and got mildly scraped up, tweaked my ankle (my good one). Mile three-check my watch-crap, gotta pick it up. Gotta get to mile four in 14 minutes. Try to run, crap, can't run. My legs feel fine, but the heat on my head is too much. Mile five, made my time, keep moving. Fuel belt is already empty....grab water at the aid station. Keep moving-kept repeating in my head "I want that medal, I want that medal". Mile six, losing time. Shit, pick it up, try to run. Run ten steps, walk 20. Can't even do that. Mile 7-the turn around-back the way I came. The hot, narrow band of the blacktop marked by an endless line of orange cones. Mile 8: Grabbed a new towel, take off my cap and put the towel on my head...crap, where are my sunglasses? Where are my new sunglasses? They are not on my head and not hanging from my shirt-did I leave them at the aid station? I can't remember....I started to get weepy about my freakin sunglasses before I realized I was wearing them. Mile 9: Started to convince myself I have to run or I am not going to make it....told God if he made it rain I would run all the way in. Mile 10: Slight cloud cover...run 10 steps, walk 20. Run 20 steps, walk 50. Run 10 steps...crap it is hot, I want that medal! Mile 11: ate 1/2 a banana, new towel. Walk fast, run 10 steps. Passed by the crazy lady with the socks. Mile 12: Not going to make it. You still can't stop...even if you are not going to make it, you can't stop. You are almost there. Cross that finish line....look up, no, don't too many cones ahead-no end in sight. People are leaving the race, honking, cheering for me. I am embarrased and ashamed. I am at the back-back of the pack, I know how hard I pushed on the swim and the bike and what it is taking to take each step-go faster. Feels like an episode of survivor, or some crazy survival story, not a race. Look up, more cones...and Doug. And the turn to the finish shute. I hand my race belt to Doug and he talks me into to running it in. People are still there...people are still cheering. They say my name, give me water. No medal. It's okay, It's okay, it's okay. You still finished the distance. 8:17. You are not a 1/2 IM. It's okay, it's okay, it's okay. See Doug, I have to lean my butt against a tree. He tells me how hot it is...he tells me how bad it was. He tells me I did great. I can't talk, I just want to sit. he gets me more water. People are hanging out and talking about the race...I see a few girls I passed on the bike...already relaxed and laughing. I see all the medals. Crap. Doug has already packed my transition stuff and my bike-we head to the car. Doug points out people still coming through the shute....hey, that lady got a medal. I go to the guy by the shute and tell him I finished ahead of that lady and I did not get a medal...he said "you should have" and I immediately break down and start crying. So embarrassed. He handed me my medal and I put it on. I didn't take it off until bed time.

I am not sure if it counts. All I know is that I feel like I did it. I got my medal and a finishing time on the results page. So maybe they gave a grace period...maybe they shouldn't have.
Post race
Event comments:

That was the best swim course ever. Great bike course. Miserable run course...who runs on a highway?

Doing this distance has taught me a lot about myself. I have decided I love this distance and want to do more 1/2's..you get to swim just the right distance, settle in on the bike and push on the run....but doing this is making me re-think my Ironman in CDA in June. I will take a couple of days to decide, but I am unsure today. I am glad, as always, that I had my best friend and my husband out there with me.

And I am proud of myself-I wanted to quit 3 times on the run. Doug saw later that 65 people (out of about 600) dropped out of the race. I am glad I wasn't one of them, but I understand why they did. As far as being the hardest thing I have ever done, this ranks right up there with having a baby. :)

Last updated: 2010-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:25 | 2112 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/175
Performance: Good
Suit: nekid
Course: Triangular, clockwise. Beautiful swim course, clear lake with no chop and just great. Probably my favorite swim of all.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:28:21 | 56 miles | 16.13 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Nice course, pretty farm land and nice flatness.....a strong head wind for about 20 miles, but nothing horrible. Kind of a lonely ride...passed 10-15 riders and only got passed by three. I was in the second to last swim wave, so glad to still have people to pass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:42:02 | 13.1 miles | 16m 57s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flatass, unshaded blacktop highway.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: White Lake Half

2010-05-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2848312

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Great job Shannon.  I shall buy you a nice George Foreman Grill to celebrate your race. 
2010-05-10 10:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC

Awesome race! White lake can be one of the nicest races or one of the trickiest! My hat is off to you for hanging in there on the run. That took some guts. Knowing you CAN do that if needed will come in handy if you decide to go to the next level. Congratulations.

2010-05-10 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Don't think for even one second that you don't deserve that medal or to call yourself a half-ironman (half-ironwoman).  Sounds like a brutal day and you were out there for 8+ hours moving towards the finish line.  That's what this stuff is all about. 

You know you can push forward.  You'll have a bit more than twice that long at CdA and the good news is you'll be running in the evening instead of mid-day. 
2010-05-10 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Way to gut it out! It was truly miserable out there and you hung tough. And hell yeah, you should get a medal!
2010-05-10 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Oh wow... what a race report.  What a way to hang tough under those extreme conditions!  I can certainly vouche for them, I was out there too!

I was so disappointed when you said you did not get a medal; and then when you went back and got it, it brought tears to my eyes!  You did it!  Way to go!

2010-05-10 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Great job on what sounded like a very hard / hot day.  I look forward to seeing you race at IMCDA.
2010-05-10 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Your race report was very inspirational. You captured feelings that I have personally felt so eloquently. Thank you for sharing your true thoughts and emotions! And congrats. You did it!!
2010-05-10 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

You are strong!  You deserved that medal after finishing in very tough conditions!!!!

2010-05-10 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,

Thanks, guys.  This race kind of shook me up-I appreciate your support! 

2010-05-10 8:17 PM

User image

I was also upset when I read that you didn't get a medal. I am so pleased that you did. There is NO doubt in my mind that you deserve one. Heck, I figure those of us on the course longer should get two, but I guess that is just me. Way to hang tough! Who was the crazy sock lady?

2010-05-11 4:15 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Way to go!

The run sounded brutal.

2010-05-11 5:46 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Great job! You rock! and you are very tough

2010-05-11 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Congradulations! 

I was one of the ones cheering for you when you crossed (my wife finished 2 minutes behind you) !  I am sure I saw you out on the course also...I had a cooler full of beer and a "WANT BEER?", "You can throw in the towel -or- ..." , and "White Bake" sign at mile 4/9.  Hope the signs made ya smile!

And yes, you definately earned that medal!  If they wouldn't have given my wife a medal...they would have needed a lot more paramedics at the finish!!!
2010-05-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2850473

User image

Master
Savannah,

bgraboski - 2010-05-11 8:09 AM Congradulations! 

I was one of the ones cheering for you when you crossed (my wife finished 2 minutes behind you) !  I am sure I saw you out on the course also...I had a cooler full of beer and a "WANT BEER?", "You can throw in the towel -or- ..." , and "White Bake" sign at mile 4/9.  Hope the signs made ya smile!

And yes, you definately earned that medal!  If they wouldn't have given my wife a medal...they would have needed a lot more paramedics at the finish!!!

I DID see you!  I saw all of your signs...and you know it was brutal out there when the thought of beer made me want to hurl.....I rarely turn down a cold one!  Thanks for the support-you were great!

2010-05-12 1:24 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
So glad you toughed it out and finished!!!!

#1 - Yep you are a 1/2 Ironman - there is no doubt! You finished the distance and that means you earned that medal.

#2 - If it makes you feel any better I finished my 1st 1/2 IM slower than you and was dead last. No finish line so at least you beat a few people

Don't question yourself Shannon just press on. You can't control the conditions on race day all you can do is get to that starting line ready to lay it all out on the course and do the best you can do on that day.

Way to kick !

2010-05-26 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Congratulations on your HIM!

You pushed through when the going got really tough and very very hot and you finished. You did complete a HIM and should be proud.

Hang in there and try to learn from what worked well and what didn't.

So glad you had folks there to support you.

2010-05-26 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Well done!  Commit to the Ironman, I am sure you signed up for your own reasons.  You are not a quitter, you are a finisher, see quote below

2010-08-05 9:57 PM

I loved reading your post. I'd much rather read about someone like you than hear someone complain when they had to slow down to a 6:30 mile pace and weren't able to finish in the top 10. Boo hoo! I did my first half iron this year and your description nailed it. I could read it over and over!! I think the white lakes half will be my big race for next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed