General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim to the Moon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-08-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3043968

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Swim to the Moon : Official Thread
Thanks for the info!  I really don't want to wear my wetsuit (I'll feel it's more of a "pure" 5K ), so I hope not to be in a position where I need to debate it.  I'm a weakling when it comes to the cold.

2010-08-16 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3043996

User image

Regular
80 degrees?  Yikes!

BTW, a friend of mine was talking with Eva Solomon at Battle of Waterloo yesterday, and she said they had 180 people registered and expected to top 200 since some of the kids swim teams that are going to be racing have not registered yet.  I was surprised to hear they had that many people.  I don't know what the breakdown between the 5K and 1 Mile are, though.
2010-08-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2853876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
That sounds great for number of people.  I bet a lot of the local swim teams are doing the 1 mile, but you never know.  I'm excited to do the one mile and it will be exciting to see everyone doing the 5K finish.  Hopefully I can get out of the water before the 5k people, but I'm pretty slow.  What are the chances the 5K people are doing it in under 1 hour?  I really struggle with the swim so my goal is to be under 1 hour.....Lofty goal I know.  Good luck everyone.  Hopefully the storms will hold off.
2010-08-17 2:12 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
I'll be volunteering for this one.  I'll be in a kayak, and may have another job too.  My husband is swimming the 5k.  My neice is also swimming with the Skyline swim team.
2010-08-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3048526

User image

Expert
MI
I'm sure everyone got the e-mail, but looks like we're in for some warm water!  83 yesterday.

3 days!  Anyone have any last minute tips?   I had a ridiculous amount of contact yesterday at T-rex (most I've had in a tri) and I'd certainly like to avoid that.  I'm sure the most problematic part will be at the beginning before everyone starts to separate...  I'll probably be starting way outside to avoid people.
2010-08-21 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Tips, survive

I've never done this long of an OWS, I figure I may stop at the last aid station and hit a gel, otherwise it's just gonna be smooth and steady stroke and I use bi lateral breathing to keep my effort in check.

Until they collect bags tomorrow I should be wearing my Detroit Lions shorts over my jammers, grey t shirt with Canton visible on the left chest.  If I don't know you and you see me please say hi.  I may be hanging with Mike McMahon who's got some tatt's, easy one to spot is a IM horseshoe tatt on his left calf.

I'm sure I'll be there early to get my packet and head off on the shuttle shortly there after.

2010-08-22 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I didn't get to meet anyone, but I had a great swim.  I did the mile and I felt good althought I fear it was really only a 3/4 mile or less.  I had my time around 24 minutes or so.  I suck at swimming so I figure that is just over a 1/2 mile time.  It was a nice day for a swim in the water because it was down right chilly out of it.  I hope everyone did good and had a safe swim.  I'll be up for the 5K next year I hope.   
2010-08-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3057318

User image

Expert
MI
Well that was exciting!!  Seriously, who swims 3 miles?!  (or that's what I was saying to myself as I was out there... ) It was an adventure before the swim even began.  I got there super early, so it was pitch black inside the park, it was awesome, lol!  Candles lighting the way to check-in.  (Tip for next year if you're arriving before dawn: bring a flashlight!) The buses were a bit late, at one point they thought they might not even arrive in time so they were talking about getting everyone to the start another way.  But just when a guy was announcing that, the buses showed up.  Then there was the bus driver.  I was on the first bus, and right as we start driving she goes "that's a road, right?  Can I go that way?"  (Yes, we were still in the parking lot...)  LOL she was quite funny.  And then a tree branch comes sticking through the bus through the top emergency exit.  There were a few more moments that were funny, but in the end, of course we made it to the start.

I'm not sure what the actual water temp was (but it was in fact wetsuit legal since I saw people with theirs on), but I thought it was quite nice.  There was that initial "this is cold" feeling, but once I started swimming I thought nothing of it.  Swimming through the channels and lakes was nice.  There were a couple of times when it was a bit weedy, literally swimming through weeds, but not a big deal.  There were parts that were really shallow and I saw people walking a couple of times.  I tried to avoid walking (it's a swim after all!), but when my arm hit the ground, well, I stood up (that was once).  There were times the lake was "clear" and you could see the bottom- what wonderful lake life!  haha- weeds!  Most of the time the buoys were big, bright, and very easy to spot, I had trouble spotting them just 1 or 2 times throughout the course.  There were a few times I felt like omg the next buoy is so far away and every time I looked up it didn't seem to be getting any closer.

The e-mail had said there were 300+ participants between the mile and 5K.  There were lots of high school kiddies and of course other fasties.  I believe the top time for the 5K was 1:05-1:06ish if I'm not mistaken.  I came in at 1:50-51ish which I was happy about- I finished with a smile!   My primary goal was sub-2 hours, I would have liked to come in at under a 2:00/100yd pace, which I missed by a minute or two, but oh well.

Being a first year event, there were a few very minor issues, but things that I'm sure could be resolved for next year.  (I didn't think about it until someone else mentioned it- sure would be nice to have a clock at the finish!)  But overall I thought it was a great little event and I recommend it!  I'm glad I did it!

I'm sure there's more I could say but I guess that's enough.
2010-08-22 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
Great race report, michgirlsk!

This was my first OWS event outside of a triathlon and my first time swimming 5K, and I have to say, I loved it!  The course was really interesting, and provided a lot of change of scenery to keep things interesting.  I swam the whole way, never got to a place were it was too shallow to swim.  I wasn't sure how I would feel swimming this far, since I think I've done maybe 1 or 2 swims in the 3k range in the last 4 months or so, and not a whole lot of other swimming, so I went into the race, well... very well rested, I guess you'd say!  But I felt really good the whole way.  Finished in 1:40, which I was VERY happy with, and I even managed to finish ahead of a couple of people in my tri club who I thought for sure would have finished ahead of me.

Agreed, a clock at the finish would have been good. Also, I wish they were a  bit speedier with the race results, especially the team and wetsuit results, which took forever.  But I am DEFINITELY doing this race again next year!
2010-08-23 12:09 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Well, that was definately interesting.  I've never done an open water race on its own and have never gone past 2 miles OWS in training so it was a fun challenge.  I liked the course and the fact that it mixed wide open space with some confinement in the channels.  A bright sunny sky would have made it nice but oh well, maybe next year.  The water temp. was very comfortable but it was tasting a bit swampy in parts (and I tasted a lot).  I was very impressed with the quality of older swimmers in the bunch.  I'm 42 and am a decent swimmer but there were some seriously good swimmers beyond the high school and college age kids. 

I think there's only a need for some minor improvements which are mentioned above.  I ended up with a 1:41 and was happy with that so I think I could definately do this again.  Good job to all who swam.  Especially the last guy to finish.  He showed some tenacity.
2010-08-23 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone.  We needed Jurgen (3fun) to be there with his height and BT outfit he's hard to miss at races.  To bad he couldn't make it.

The water was a bit murky but I expected that and as mentioned there was less weeds then I thought there would be and as an added bonus I didn't wake up with swimmers itch this morning, which was my main fear of swimming that long in inland lakes.  The varied areas along shore was a nice added bonus.

I can't believe folks actually swam it with full wetsuits on, I would've overheated and thought the water temp was nice for a long swim.

I finished just a few moments behind McClain and think we were both in the 1:32 and change range.  Mike switched to the non wetsuit division but they still have him listed in the wetsuit group.  Getting passed by some of those youngsters was impressive, I even had a girl pass me while doing the back stroke.

All in all a good event.  Besides the clock at the finish, the swag was kinda of strange.  A cheap plastic water bottle with a sponsor on it and plastic cup with nothing about the event on it, both will end up in my recycling bin.  I guess I'd prefer nothing instead of plastic junk.  The shirt and Hammer Gels were fine with me.

Now do I enter the Chesapeake Bay 4.4 mile swim lottery for next June ???

2010-08-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3058122

User image

Expert
MI
Turns out water temp was 77.

I was quite happy with the swag because I was so delighted to see two rasberry hammer gels, the exact flavor I was going to buy for Tawas, and now I don't have to!  I also haven't tried the clif shot blocks, so now I can.  I also liked the shirt.  But yeah, not sure what was up with that plastic cup.  I did not receive a plastic water bottle though, no fair!
2010-08-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3059579

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

michgirlsk - 2010-08-23 4:34 PM   I did not receive a plastic water bottle though, no fair!

I'll pull it out of the recycling bin and bring it to Tawas.  You can use it as your throw away bottle on the bike course.

Did anyone else see the speedo guy with the rip over the left butt cheek, I guess that qualified as a half moon.

Edited by rottieguy 2010-08-23 3:58 PM
2010-08-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3059631

User image

Expert
MI
haha thanks.  But I thought I read on the Tawas thread that they'll be providing us with a water bottle to use as our throw away?  Or is that a better quality one?

Yes, I saw the guy with the ripped speedo LOL.  At first I was wondering if I should tell him that his suit is ripped............... and then I saw the writing on his back: SWIM TO THE [arrow pointing to butt].  haha.  He received an age group award and when he went up there to accept it he shouted "swim to the MOON" and then pointed at his "moon."  lol.  That was risky business.  What if his suit would have ripped even more while he was swimming?
2010-08-23 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

My kids laughed a lot about the half moon guy. 
They posted the results if anyone was interested. http://epicraces.com/results.htm
I won my age group.........because I was the only one in it!!Laughing  The thing that sucks is they didn't even record my time.  I was number 524 and I knew they messed up when about 20 minutes after I finished they asked number 524 and 542 to come to the announcer.  I went over and they had my name, but didn't have a clue what my number was for my finish and there wasn't a 542.  Lucky for me I finished right behind a guy in my swim class so I know my time.  They also posted that they figured our swim at only 1100-1200 yards.  What a hoot.  I guess when you put on a 5K swim it isn't always a good idea to just add a 1 mile swim to the agenda.  I had fun so I don't mind.  The only depressing part was I really wanted to swim one mile.  Oh well I'll get to do it next year when I try and swim the 5K.  I think I'll do it full monty style.  Maybe if I'm naked they will remember to write down my number and time. Tongue out

Did anyone get a cool towel?  They said they were for the people who finish top three in their age group in the 5K.  They looked sweet.  

2010-08-24 10:37 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I am totally doing this race next year. 

I missed it this year, but SO many friends did it, including some top finishers. I swim with Todd Mercer who won it, and while I'll never be able to keep up with him, I can certainly win my AG next year (30-34).

I can keep up with Matt West who won the AG above mine. Next year! I can't wait. Thanks for the race reports! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim to the Moon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3