Encinitas Sports Partners
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 4s
Overall Rank = 90/754
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/79
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00, which has been my normal time as of late. Ate a banana and had a cup of coffee on the way to the race.

Last year, this event was my very first triathlon, so I was looking foward to see how much I improved over the year.

I was bit worried, however, since I had what I believe was a overtraining breakdown a couple days before. Was going for a brick run after my normal ride home on Thursday and just couldn't get up to speed (Actually, was quite fatigued also from my morning ride and swim that day).

My HR was spiking at 160 just trying to hold 9:30 min/miles. This was after doing 10 miles the day before at 8:09 min/miles and 139 avg HR.

I didn't work out on Friday or Saturday in hopes of recovering enough to race. Just tried to get adequate sleep.

Nutrition: 1/2 bottle during bike warm up. 1 gel prior to swim. 3/4 bottle taken in one bike during race.
Event warmup:

Brought my road bike and warmed up for 6 miles or so on course.

Ran only 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so. Needed to warm up more on run.

Swam a bit prior to race.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Much better in the age group ranking for the swim than last time (29/79 vs. 39/63), but still need to work on swimming. A set of waves came in as our group started. It was a little tougher getting out than I wanted. Was able to draft someone out to the bouy, but lost him on the return trip.
What would you do differently?:

Should have focused more on continuing to draft on the return. More concentration on that would certainly have helped. Ended up taking a slightly different line after the turn for no good reason.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Suprisingly, this took a bit longer than last year. The run to T2 is up a relatively long and steep hill. It can take your breath away, but I think my lack of run warm up may have impacted performance here, or maybe still remnants of earlier fatigue. The run up felt just as hard as last time.
Bike
  • 33m 10s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went as was expected. Last year I rode this on a road bike with a time of 37:12. I rode slightly easier this year, I believe negative splitting the second loop.

Upon dismounting and running to T2, the volunteers were yelling that I lost a shoe. I had to stop on the ramp to T2 and catch a 15 foot pass of the shoe. Fortunately I caught it, but this added a little time. Oh well.

Ride a touch harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Slightly faster than last year by skipping the socks.
Run
  • 21m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, a reasonably executed run. Negative split the second loop. Was able to pay attention to the other AG'ers around me. Spent much of the 2nd loop trying to chase another M35-39 down, but he managed to always keep about 50 feet between us. Another person in my AG came up from behind about half way through and I just held his pace slightly behind him and to the left. He later faded as I picked up the pace to try to chase the guy ahead.

Looking foward to get another year of running under my belt. Again, continued improvement here will make the most impact in the standings. Need to get closer to the low to mid 6 min/mile folks.

Not too much. Satisfied with the run given my 25:37 time last year (8:15 min/mile) and recovery from my earlier fatigue episode.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the fam and some friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. This race was really more for fun and a celebration of my first season. I found that my mind was in quite a happy place for most of the race since I knew what to expect. Coupled with a much better level of fitness, it was actually quite enjoyable.

I didn't do any sprint specific training for this, which would help if this was more of a priority race, but most of my training these days is sub threshold, high volume.

Event comments:

This is a fun local race. Again this year, Kate Major raced, and we also had Chris Mccormack, Luke Bell, and Michellie Jones .

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 820 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/79
Overall: 0/754
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Slight triangle pattern from beach to bouy and back to north end of beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:10 | 12.43 miles | 22.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/79
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/79
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 11:22 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Encinitas Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-16 11:42 PM
in reply to: #2862360

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Encinitas Sprint Triathlon
Nice bike split! Great job!
2010-05-17 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
yeah...wtg on the bike and a great result!
2010-05-20 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Always nice to improve from the year before, eh?  Knew you would have a good bike time.  Glad you had an enjoyable race.  Way to rock the Tri Club kit.  See you 'round I'm sure.  Oh, and nice hands in T2 - I haven't worked on my bike shoe catching at all.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Encinitas Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed