General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-11-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3210237

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread
jmkizer - 2010-11-14 1:08 PM I had a blast at this race and I hope that you did too!

Sherry, it was great to meet you and Scott yesterday morning.  I hope that you had a great race!

Mona, I'm sorry that I didn't see you to wish you luck in person.  I see that you did great!  I hope that the race met your expectations.

I saw an accident on Blueberry Road when I was coming back on the bike.  It looks like a cyclist a little in front of me (after the turnaround) went down.  I saw the tandem stopped the help and then I saw an ambulance coming.  Does anyone know what happened?  I hope that they are OK.  My husband said that he heard that someone was hit by a car???  Not sure what the real story is here.

Did anyone else see that oversized trucks trying to make a delivery to the battleship while the full participants were coming in on the bike and the half participants were finishing?  What a mess!  Someone really dropped the ball there (I'm thinking it was the battleship folks since the race clearly had a contract to use the site for the weekend.)

I found the course to be well stocked and the support to be good -- to be honest, there were a lot more spectators than I expected.  I had fun fun fun! 

Hey Janyne - dito! You did great! Maybe we'll see each other at one of the next races next year!

And heck I had so much fun - I couldn't get the smile out of my face the whole time - even when the chafing during the run set in! What a perfect day!

I came by one accident that happened on the final stretch over the last bridge and that didn't look good! Frown Sent my prayers and hope that the guy is feeling better!

I saw the bridge pieces coming in - I had to squeeze by truck number one and when I helped out at the special needs station later the second truck came. And those drivers and construction workers were leaving the second truck standing right and the turn around and were chit-chatting for 10 minutes - incredible - but really not the event-teams fault!

2010-11-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3211391

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-11-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3211481

Regular
HumanVelocity - 2010-11-15 12:46 PM Good to meet a lot of you guys on Friday morning and thru the day on Saturday.

It sounds like everyone had a great race and I had a great Aqua bike since I am doing IM Arizona this Sunday. Took 1st which was a great surprise.

Overall I was very pleased with the organization of the race. Running a dual Half/Full race requires a lot more co-ordination than just a single event on many levels. If you are happy with your overall experience with the race, send them an email telling them that, they love to get those emails as well.

Congrats again on your 1st!! Your competition in AZ should better get out of the way!! Good luck for that one! I am sure you will rock that one as well!

I definitely wanna send an e-mail to those guys - they were plain awesome and deserve a BIG THANK YOU!!!
2010-11-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2877351

An interesting side note. Take a look at your finisher's medal. The ship's number should be 70, if my guess is right
2010-11-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3211963

Regular
DanielG - 2010-11-15 4:09 PM An interesting side note. Take a look at your finisher's medal. The ship's number should be 70, if my guess is right

It is and yours is 140 Smile I really like how they pay attention to the details!
2010-11-15 7:31 PM

To many negative comments for me?
I had an amazing race and an even better weekend in Wilmington.
Beat my white lake half 2010 time by 29 minutes, but didn't get the time I wanted. Work Harder.

Mr. Human Velocity:
You are a saint dressed as a Master Clydesdale. I consider myself VERY luck to call you my friend. After a good night sleep and some reflection I may take you up on your offer for next year.
When does registration open?
Thanks Ms. T again for me.
Peace and Love

2010-11-16 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3210340

atostig - 2010-11-14 3:37 PM I have been looking for information about the accident also.  I passed an ambulance loading a biker on a stretcher.  I don't know for sure...but there were police there and a car stopped...so it appeared that the car had hit the bike.

During the event I saw locations where there were ambulances on the scene: the one with cyclist struck by a car near the final bridge, and one where a cyclist was being loaded on a backboard on Blueberry Road.

For the first, I saw this update on the B2B forums:

"I saw the athlete that was hit by the car - it was awful. I was finishing the last mile of the run and was just in between the two bridges - it actually happened behind me as I had just run past the line of traffic stopped at the base of the bridge that goes over the river. I heard the unmistakable noise of a bike hitting the pavement *hard* followed immediately by lots of folks yelling/screaming behind me and turned around to see the dude in a pile on the street in front of a car with a dented hood. There were volunteers and police at his assistance very quickly, and I yelled to the folks at the aid station ahead to call 911. He was conscious, and I think he will be OK, but I would not be surprised if he has a broken hip and/or femur based on the way he was laying on the ground and the dent in the hood of the car. I heard that it was indeed an impatient motorist who decided to try to make a U-Turn out of the line of traffic that was stopped at the base  of the bridge and turned right in to him as he was approaching at full speed. Completely sucks."

For the second, there was no one else around, so don't know if the individual was run off the road, just ran off the road on his own, or what have you.

I saw a couple others without emergency vehicles which looked like some folks could have run into each other on their bikes -- or could have just as easily been someone stopping to help someone else with with a mechanical.

Edited by jerrylcanterbury 2010-11-16 5:42 AM
2010-11-16 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3211963

DanielG - 2010-11-15 4:09 PM An interesting side note. Take a look at your finisher's medal. The ship's number should be 70, if my guess is right

Same is true of the towel you received at checkin.
2010-11-16 12:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Beams or no beams (although they were quite a hoot to watch from afar), this race was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!  I don't think we could have asked for a better race director, better volunteers or better spectators.  Every athlete was made to feel special and important.  Everybody needs to do a SetUpEvents race... even if it's not B2B.

Congratulations to all of the finishers!  My husband and I had a blast at this venue from start to finish and getting the chance to meet a few BT.com members was the icing on the cake.

Recover well!!! 
2010-11-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3213485

Master
Raleigh, NC area
shellabree - 2010-11-16 1:55 PM Beams or no beams (although they were quite a hoot to watch from afar), this race was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!  I don't think we could have asked for a better race director, better volunteers or better spectators.  Every athlete was made to feel special and important.  Everybody needs to do a SetUpEvents race... even if it's not B2B.

Congratulations to all of the finishers!  My husband and I had a blast at this venue from start to finish and getting the chance to meet a few BT.com members was the icing on the cake.

Recover well!!! 

Good to hear from you!  I was hoping that you had a great race!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 11