United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 5s
Overall Rank = 1/37
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, ate a couple of Protein/Carb Bars, drank some sports drink.
Event warmup:

Not much, light running, moving around in the water pre-race.
Swim
  • 04m 18s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Much more difficult than I had imagined. This was a 'Try a Tri' so there were many novice folks out there. There was way more kicking, hitting, and swimming over the top of folks than I had imagined. I sat back and let others go ahead until I found a fairly open area to swim in. I passed many folks on the run up to the transition area.

Given the conditions I was very pleased with my swim, I finished better than I had expected.
What would you do differently?:

Really work on my freestyle, was difficult to swim in the big group with any other stroke. I've got 10 weeks to prepare for my full Sprint Tri in Open Water.

Be better prepared mentally for the mass chaos of the wading start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Transition was much improved from my first. Knew not to try and put a shirt on while wet (wore my shirt during the swim).

Very pleased with my transition, I 'passed' several folks in the transition area.

Consider speed laces or perhaps if I can sweet talk the wife get a nice pair of bike shoes and clips.
Bike
  • 15m 36s
  • 10 kms
  • 38.46 km/hr
Comments:

Race was won on the bike. I pushed hard and had passed all but one of the other races prior to the turn around. Could have pushed harder coming back in to pass the final racer, but didn't want to kill myself.

Personal best on speed.

Drink more, even though it was a short race I needed the liquid for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

Didn't have to change shoes. Was only biker back into the transition area. Racked bike, removed helmet and I was out the other end.

Not much, jogged into and out of the transition area. Since I was the only person in the area it made for a nice easy transition.
Run
  • 13m 55s
  • 2 kms
  • 06m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Very difficult to find a pace when you're the only runner out on the course. Had a marshall riding out front on a bike though they weren't really setting a pace. I was about a minute ahead of the next person at this point so there was nothing to judge by. Didn't see another soul until after my turn around point.

Distance is a question, was scheduled to be a 2km run, but it's possible it was a 3km run, they announced both distances during the day.

Drink more water on the bike. Work on taking water while on the run. Figure out how to better set a pace, I ran slow to drop my heart rate back down to my normal run rate of 155bpm.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and went to see if the wife had come in on the bike. She was already out on the run course when I finished so I walked to a point where I could keep an eye out for her and did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing to really push me, not like the marshall on the bike was going to let me pass her. I did well on the swim and bike, but the run was much slower than my training has been. It was getting hot, but I'm sure I could have done better if I wasn't alone on the course.

Event comments:

This race was really meant to be my first experience at an open water swim. The bike and run were much shorter than the distances I trained for. The race was about 10 minutes late due to the lifeguards, though it went well after that. The experience of the swim gives me some insight for my next Tri in September.

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:18 | 200 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 12/37
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo Shorts and UnderArmor Tank
Course: Open Water - Lake Erie, water was very shallow and on a bed of shale, bottom was slippery.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:15:36 | 10 kms | 38.46 km/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 1/37
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat with just a few rolling hills. Turn around point at the half way point for the Sprint/Olympic Tri.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:55 | 02 kms | 06m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 6/37
Heart rate was high coming off the bike, 162-165 bpm.
Course: Flat course, but some off road areas that were not even, a few pot holes on the road.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-04 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: A Tri in the Buff - Try a Tri

2005-07-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: #189988

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: A Tri in the Buff - Try a Tri
Wow did I read that right. 38.46km/hr on the bike? Nice work. Congrats on placing 1st. Did you get a medal?

Jen
2005-07-04 6:49 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Way to go! Man, we would have liked that Irving New York weather in Irving Texas yesterday! (See TriAmerica reports). Great job!!

2005-07-05 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Winner, Winner, way to go. I would love to try a race at those distances, managing intensity gets thrown out the window. The feeling of being out front must have been exciting.

Ken
2005-07-05 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Well, an update, my time for the bike looked very fast. The splits the fastest in the Sprint and the Olympic distances averaged about 22mph on the bike and I averaged 24mph. According to Map24.com the bike was really about 5 miles, which would put me at about 20mph, a much more reasonable speed.

Also, I didn't believe my run was that slow either, I had a decent pace, though not speedy. I would estimate the run at more like 1.6 to 1.8 miles based on my memory of where the turn around points were and what Map24.com says.

Even so, I'm still very happy with my race. I learned a good lesson on the open water swim, my transitions were much better than my first race, and my speed and times were improved.

Chris.
2005-07-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #190175

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
<< Winner, Winner, way to go. I would love to try a race at those distances, managing intensity gets thrown out the window. The feeling of being out front must have been exciting.

Ken>>

Actually, it was very strange coming into the transition area and being the only person there, made things easier but felt strange. Being in the lead on the run was exciting but strange as well, it was hard to find a good pace for myself, nothing to push me and nothing to say, hey, I can pass that next guy up there. It was a challenge to keep myself at a decent pace. I'll have to give special thanks to Polar because I set my pace based on my heart rate, kept it between 155 and 160 for the run, without that, I'm sure I would have been all over the place, running too fast and then having to slow way down.

Chris.

2005-07-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: #190006

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
<< Wow did I read that right. 38.46km/hr on the bike? Nice work. Congrats on placing 1st. Did you get a medal?

Jen>>

Yes, I got a medal, but then everyone who finished this race got the same medal. Still feels good that I went out and accomplished my goal. If you read my other post, you'll see my response on the bike speed, I wish I could ride that fast.

Chris.
2006-02-02 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
tolefanjh, you said in your race report that the water was shallow...how shallow? Could you swim the whole way? I saw a race once where it got so shallow the participants' hands hit the bottom and many ended up walking part of the swim.

I am thinking of doing the Olympic distance this July.
2006-02-02 1:30 PM
in reply to: #337321

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY

The Try-a-Tri went along the shore, it was chest deep (I'm 6'3" at the deepest part.  It's very shallow and difficult to swim within 30-50yds of shore.  If you're doing the Olympic you're going to have problems actually swimming on the shore side.  Look at a corse map, any thing inside the 'Try-a-Tri' bouy's is shallow and will be difficult to do a real swim, especially the leg across the front to start your second lap.

(http://www.score-this.com/atriinbuff/ATITB/atibracemaps.html)

As an aside, the bottom is solid rock covered with slippery alge and crude, getting in and out of the water is an adventure.

I would however recommend this race.  It's well run by Score-This and the course is very nice.  The run goes through some neighbor hoods, some trail and some road, the bike was fairly flat, at least up until the point of the turn around for my race.  This year I plan on doing the full Sprint version of the race, already have our reservations for the campground.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris.

2006-02-02 3:00 PM
in reply to: #337408

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
I haven't done this particular race yet, but I can second what Chris said about Score-This. I've done a few of their races and each has been well run. They put on a good tri.
2006-02-03 7:17 AM
in reply to: #337547

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Awesome result! Congrats on the #1.

And you can average 24 .... just takes time and miles!

2006-02-03 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the responses. I think I will enter. It is only about 1.5 hrs from my home in PA and not a bad price.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » A Tri in the Buff - Try a Tri Rss Feed