Midwest Multisport
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 25s
Overall Rank = 29/657
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/39
Pre-race routine:

Beep! Beep! Beep! Is that my alarm clock? Yes it is. Is it really 3:15? Yes it is. Frick!

Out of bed, clothes on. Bagel, toaster, PB, nanner. Yum. Out the door by 3:45.

It's dark. There's no one on the road. All the sane people are sleeping right now. In my younger days I might still be awake on an all night bender. Getting sleepy. Open the windows, crank the tunes, headbang a little. Deer!!! That'll wake you up.

Where are you sending me GPS lady? I think I remember how to get there. I'll trust my gut on this one. GPS off.

Okay, I'm 15 minutes early but people are showing up. How about the packet pick-up tent? Yes! Open for business. Put another piggy shirt in the closet. Race number is 232...hey that's a palindrome.

Tires pumped. Where's a nice lady with a marker? She must be new, asks if numbers are vertical or horizontal. Must. Refrain. From. Quoting. Tommy Boy. Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps. Wow, they are really marking every limb this year.

Let's find a spot in transition. As close to the bike exit as possible. That'll work. Chat. Drink. Wetsuit half on. Mosey on down to the beach.
Event warmup:

The elites are off! Man, they are fast. Fast swimmers make me jealous. This tri thing would be a whole lot easier if I was a fast swimmer.

30 minutes till my wave start, but in reality probably closer to 45 minutes. I'm in wave 8 and the time trial start is ALWAYS late. Might as well hop in the water and swim a little. That's a toasty 75 degrees. Good thing I went with the sleeveless wetsuit. 10 minutes and I'm out. Now to play the waiting game.

The wind has picked up because the buoys are curving now. Hmmm, note to self: follow them on the way out, beeline for the swim exit on the way back.

Hey, that guy just got attacked by a duck! Should I laugh? Yeah that's funny, haha.

Line's getting shorter. It's go time!
Swim
  • 08m 39s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm the 3rd one in my wave to go. Runnnnn! High knees! High knees! Dolphin dive! Swim!

See you two guys later. Arms are moving, breathing is good. Take a right around this girl. Straighten out. Left around this one. Now in the middle of these two backstrokers.

Wow, I am cruising by a lot of people. Is this what it feels like to be a swimmer? Watch out! More dodging. That's the buoy rope. Can I get by one more. Is that chop? Is it wavy? Must be. Dang wind.

Keep pushing. Hard to with all the traffic. Round the bouy. Halfway there! The smell of boat fumes under water is going to make me vomit. That would be gross.

First green cap (my wave) is trying to pass me. Quick, grab his feet! Can't, there's a girl in the way. Zig. Zag. Cripes am I swimming or playing frogger?

Just a little further. Kick it in. People are standing up around me. Should I stand up too? No, wait for your hand to hit the sand. There it is, get up! Cap, goggles off. Run it in

Hear the announcer say something along the lines of, "and our first green caps are out of the water." I'm at the front of my wave! Thank you time trial start.
What would you do differently?:

Not really much I could do differently, there was just a lot of traffic to contend with. Same race last year I hardly had to maneuver around anyone. I was faster this year, but just felt really disjointed.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

The legs don't like to move after a swim. We're racing legs, in case you hadn't heard. Go! Go!

It's a long transition area. Where's my bike? Wait for it....wait for it...there it is!

The wetsuit pops right off. That's so mush easier than my full suit. Shoes and helmet on, grab bike. Clip, clop, clip, clop to the mount line

Nada
Bike
  • 41m 58s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 22.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Pedal, pedal, here we go. Can't hammer yet, gotta negotiate traffic out for awhile. Runners (yes, there are people on the run course already. Depressing.), spectators, bikers, CARS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

There's an opening. On the left! Let's roll. Heading south now. Which way is the wind out of? Feels like a crossie, but might be kinda at my back. Oh well, enjoy it while I can.

On the left! Pass, pass, pass. Does anyone look before they start to pass. I'm getting dangerously close to the yellow line and I'm tired of yelling.

Ooh, it's the loop through Palo. Hello, Palo. Yikes! Ambulance and stretcher, that can't be good. Goodbye Palo.

Heading north again. That minivan better get a move on or I am going to have some road rage. Good, he's turning right. Good riddance. Will they ever shut down these roads for this race. They should. They won't.

Up the hill. Should I get out of the saddle? Why not, it's a sprint. Mash away my friend. And down the other side. Woooooooo!!! Why aren't you people pedaling? Don't you want to see how fast you can go? I do. Hammer, hammer.

I'm getting close to the turn around now. 180, I hate 180s, and back in business. Nice volunteers pointing out ginormous potholes. "Thanks!"

Aaack! That guy just passed me! What's the calf say? 31? Okay, but still, push it back up the hill. Back to the park, almost there. Steep hill, watch out, make the turn. Okay uphill to the end. Traffic's getting dicey. Lots of runners, lots of cars. Someone's gonna die.

Let's the get the feet out of the shoes and spin it on in. Did that chick just repass me in the last 50 feet??!! Oh! And she biffed it at the dismount line! That's gonna leave a mark. Volunteer is helping her so hop off and run it in.....and try not to laugh.

Become good enough to start in the elite wave so I don't have to deal with course congestion. That and bike harder, which is essentially covered in the "become an elite" statement
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Zooooooom! Rack the bike. Look at all those empty racks in my section. Sweet! Shoes on, grab stuff and go!

Nuttin
Run
  • 20m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs feel thick. Shorten the stride. Focus on turnover. Hit the turnover, the pace will come.

Mostly downhill the first mile. That's gonna suck coming back. Why is my breathing out of control? Settle.

Have I mentioned how much of a cluster@%*& the park is? Cars going both ways, bike coming in, runners heading both ways. Lots of weaving. Gotta be nimble while running. I'm about as graceful as a bull in a china shop.

I'm going to pass this car on the left, no room on the right. Do I say on your left to a car? Wow, that bike almost clipped me. Would've too if it weren't for my graceful nimbleness.

Hey, aid station! Not thirsty, but the water is cold on the head. Refreshing! Okay, can't be too far from the turn around. Yep, there it is ahead. Woot!

Homestretch now, gotta turn on the afterburners. There's the aid station again. I'll take a sip this time, but the rest is going on my head again. Now, run! Heard some lady yell, "Go 232! Look at that runner goooo!!!!" Thanks for the smile.

Ow, ow, ow. Can I hold this pace? You better, Sally. This hill hurts. Do I look like death like these other runners? There's the last turn. Balls out now. There's trained medical staff at the finish, right?

Sprint, sprint! Go, go! Done!

I still wanna go sub 20 on a sprint 5k. I just have to run harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Let's grab a water and walk a little. There's the food tent. Pizza, strawberries, cookies! Yum!

Let's check the results. 45 seconds faster than last year! Nice OA place, stupid fast AGers. But they're giving hardware out 5th place in my age group so I'll take it.

Waited around for awards and talked to fellow BTer Eric (ersynder3654) who kicked my butt for the 2nd straight race. Grabbed my ceramic pig and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Traffic, vehicular and human

Event comments:

This race would be so much better if they could find a way to close the course to traffic. Talk about accidents waiting to happen. Other than that its a top notch race, well run, with plenty of beginners and talent alike. Best hardware ever too!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:39 | 547 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/39
Overall: 88/657
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport ultrajohn
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:58 | 15.53 miles | 22.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/39
Overall: 29/657
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out to the Palo loop, back past the park, 180, and then bring her home.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:55 | 03.11 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 41/657
Course: Out and back in the park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Pigman Triathlon - Sprint

2010-06-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2904656

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Pigman Triathlon - Sprint
Nice work!  I agree about the traffic on that race.  Still a fun event though. 
2010-06-07 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
AWESOME job Neal!

I enjoyed reading your report, too.
2010-06-07 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I love to read your race reports, Neal. Great race. Glad you didn't get mushed by a car or a bike. They need to fix that before someone gets really hurt!
2010-06-07 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2904683

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Awesome job man!!
2010-06-07 11:05 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Sweet job on teh Pigman!  Your RR's are always a fun read

2010-06-07 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Awesome Neal! Next time you should write from the other competitors view points: "Man that guy is so fast...look at his turnover" Haha.
2010-06-07 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Great race Neal! I'm very glad to hear your nimbleness kept you out of what sounds like a few potential jams. Stay safe, and keep it up for the next race!
2010-06-07 3:38 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Great Race!  and an even better report - loved it!!!

2010-06-07 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Loved the RR - real stream of consciousness type stuff there...  Congrats on another pig...

2010-06-07 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Congrats on your finish and hard ware!!!

2010-06-07 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Nice job out there, less than 1 min. is hardly a butt whooping!  Good luck with the rest of the season and the ironman journey...good to meet you!
2010-06-11 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Great race, Neal... scorching fast!  Love reading your RR's.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed