Lake Mills, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Mills Triathlon
Total Time = 1h 10m 41s
Overall Rank = 15/596
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/45
Pre-race routine:

Up way too early for me (3:20am)... Picked up Devin (non-BTer) as well as Clint on the way to Lake Mills...

had 5 reasonably aggressive goals for this race...

1) Sub 1:10 (previous best - 1:13:14)
2) Top 30 OA (previous best - 45th)
3) Top 3 AG (previous best - 6th)
4) Top 5 run split (previous best - 20th)
5) PR all legs (swim 7:46 / bike 22.2 mph (longer course in 2010) / run 18:56)

Event warmup:

racked bike, got race stuff and went for a 10 minute warm-up run... saw quite a few donkeys there, including joshua, jim, stacey, patrick, amyjo and rich. later in the day also ran into craig, ross, terri, michelle and nicole... put the wetsuit on and went for a warm-up swim prior to the race start... water was much warmer than usual...

Swim
  • 08m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

AG 14/45... i get really nervous and feel a bit intimitated at the start of races... this was no different... i knew that i would not be leading this pack out of the water so i kind of hung towards the back a bit at the start... actually noticed that most were lined up out wide and so made my way more towards the inside (left side)... which i figured would be the better side anyway, especially considering that the wind and waves would be pushing us to the right out there... prior to the start i gave joshua a little fist bump and shortly after we were off... i thought i had somewhat placed myself out of harms way... but i was getting thrashed pretty good for the first 50 yards or so... water was pretty rough... which made this a bit more challenging... i probably swallowed 5 gallons of it out there... was hoping to find someone to draft off of but never was really able to... felt like i sighted well through the first 2 buoys... but never got into any sort of rythym or comfort level out there... so just kept plugging away... sighting towards the shore was a little more challenging.. but i just aimed for the middle of the swim caps ahead of me... that section from the last buoy to shore always seems to take forever... maybe because the bottom always looks closer than it is... anyway... finally got there... and although its a short swim... was thankful it was behind me... started getting the wetsuit off as i made my way towards the transition...

my time was 31 seconds slower than last year... however the course certainly raced longer than last year... in looking through last year's results it appears that most times were 30 to 40 seconds higher than the previous year... so overall not to bad... definitely improvements to made though...
What would you do differently?:

practice ows before race... pacing seemed okay... just need to get stronger in the water...
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

AG 12/45... was trying out a new wetsuit for the first time... which was really tight... so i was having a hard time getting it off... however i had an ideal rack position - last row on the side facing the bike exit/entrance... so this should have/could have been a bit faster...

practice getting wetsuit off...
Bike
  • 42m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 22.47 mile/hr
Comments:

AG 7/45... inaugural ride with the new race wheels... after popping 3 tubes in the past 2 days trying to get them set up... and then realizing i needed rim tape... and finally getting them ready late the night prior to the race... and unable to even test them out... i was somewhat expecting some sort of debale to ensue during the ride... thankfully they worked out great... really enjoyed the ride... the rode very smooth compared to my normal wheels... a bit of wind out there - which always hurts a little more than it helps... but a really strong ride for me... even with the wind i averaged about 0.4 mph faster than last year... which was a bike mph pr for me... being in wave 5... and having 2 novice waves sent off prior... means that there really isnt much of a chance to benefit from 'legal drafting'... so i just kept left of the crowds and pushed the entire way... got passed once on the bike... and he was from my wave... but i reeled him in pretty quick on the run... ;)

nothing really... i raced this hard and posted a strong time for me...
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

AG 3/45... coming into transition i decided to go for the flying dismount... let's see... my previous 2 attempts at this include - pleasant prairie last year when i didnt unclip my left foot... nor take my foot out of my shoe... dont ask... and flipped through the air still attached to the bike - with it then landing on top off me... was trying to block this out of my mind... and the other time was one practice last week where the shoe came unclipped as i was coasting in.. and i stumbled off the bike... so i figured this would be interesting... this did go better though... as i managed to come off the bike in a vertical position... which is a plus... however i somehow managed to bust off my rear bottle cage as i was kicking my leg over... oh well - getting closer... besides a minor shoe issue the rest of the transition went well...

see above... practice i suppose...
Run
  • 17m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

AG 2/45... come out of transition knowing that this is my part of the race... which craig reminded me of as well as i ran past him right after the start of the run... also, i was thinking to myself... "time to make this thing hurt"...!!! really thought i had a sub-18 PR in me... and was certainly going for it... right away i could tell that my legs were feeling the bike... which generally makes for a more compact stride... which is fine... just keep the turnover fast... i settled in to a 5:40ish pace right away... and was really hoping to keep this strong through the whole race... obviously i was pushing hard... but at the same time i felt surprisingly efficient... so while i knew this would hurt... i also thought it sustainable... as such... i felt like i had maybe a half gear left in me if needed... decided not to push my luck too early though... anyway... caught the guy who passed me on the bike around mile one... and just keep bearing down on those ahead of me... must admit that the pace certainly quickens a bit every time you see someone from your own wave ahead of you... i managed to catch 1 more guy from my wave right before the turnaround and one other shortly after... definitely used that extra half gear here as a wanted to look strong for the ones i had just passed... and put a little distance between us... didnt want them hanging around for a showdown late in the race... after passing these 3 on the run i was feeling pretty good about getting top 3 AG... after i hit mile 2 i may have been able to kick it up a notch.. however i wanted to save a little something for if someone came up on me.. also i didnt see anyone close enough to track down... anyway, maintained pace through mile 3 and then picked it up into the finish... ran it in hard with someone from wave 4... crossed the finish and was pumped to see a 17:27 on my watch (which would be a 57 second PR)... This was a really a great run for me... especially off the bike...

[okay... I've deleted my rant about feeling that the run course was a bit short... i've heard measurements of 3.05 to 3.12... So while I think it may have possibly been a bit short, its uncertain and close nonetheless... will need to just validate this with a stand-alone 5k now... but going to take this as a new PR...!!!]

race wise - nothing... probably get some different racing shoes at some point... these tore up my feet from going sockless...
Post race
Warm down:

not much... chatted with friends.. ate.. and cheered on others...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I pulled off a strong race... always room for improvement though...

Event comments:

I always love this race... two years ago at lake mills was the first triathlon i ever did... 87th that year... 45th last year... and 15th this year.. so have to be pleased with that...

so my 5 goals...

1) Sub 1:10 - Not too far off at 1:10:41...
2) Top 30 OA - Very suprised by a 15th pace finish...
3) Top 3 AG - Thought I had it but finished 4th...
4) Top 5 run split - Snuck in at number 5...
5) PR all legs - PR'd the bike and run... probably swam as well as last year but the conditions made it tough to PR...

aside from the nagging question in my mind about the distance of the run course... it was a great day and a fun race..

Last updated: 2010-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:17 | 440 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/45
Overall: 90/596
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:43 | 16 miles | 22.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/45
Overall: 32/596
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:27 | 03.11 miles | 05m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 5/596
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2010-06-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2908837

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
That's just all kind of crazy-fast, man. Congrats. Sounds like you really pushed yourself and took home a PR-- can't ask for more than that. BTW, my Garmin reading on the length was about the same as yours but jmwebs had it at 3.12... so who knows? You can only race the course they put in front of you. GREAT job, Ben!
2010-06-08 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

outstanding work donkey!!!!

2010-06-08 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Looking awesome! Great way to start the season.
2010-06-08 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Wow you are one fast moving person out there.  Great job pushing through to the end.  Wish I could get some of your speed.
2010-06-08 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin

Excellent, excellent race Ben!! Seems like that swim gave everybody some fits. Like Rich said, my Garmin had the full 5k, so I say count it as a PR!

2010-06-08 9:55 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Great job Ben!
2010-06-09 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greendale, WI

Awesome job Ben!  Good to see you out there!

2010-06-09 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

You make me sick.  That is a blazing fast race, and congrats on it all.  But you still make me sick with that run

2010-06-09 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on the PR's and I must admit that I am jealous of your running ability!
2010-06-09 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
you looked awesome out there.  way to go!!!

2010-06-10 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race Ben!  And the great thing is its only getting better.  Now to get that swim and bike to your run level!
2010-06-11 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

How can you call that a PR when you aren't ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE that the final step you took across the line was EXACTLY the crossing from 4.996K to 5K in distance? 

Just kidding ya analytical freak.  Great race and bask in the glory!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed