General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Did I Do To Myself Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-09 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
Subject: What Did I Do To Myself

I did an Oly on Sunday. It was about 80 at the start and 90 after the race. I've been training in 70 degree weather. Took the swim easy and came out feeling good. First 10 miles of the bike were good but hot. Then I started having trouble swallowing my EFS (mixed about 80% recommended strength) and started drinking water only. Drank 40oz total on the bike. At T2 I was feeling weak. First part of the run was ok except for the heat. Then at about mile 3, I stopped sweating, got cold chills and nauseated. Told myself to suck it up and walked/jogged the last 3 miles. Tried to drink water, but couldn't hold it down.

After the race I drank 3 - 20oz gatorades, a 20oz sprite and ate a bagel w/peanut butter. When I got home, I weighed 1.5lbs less than prior to the race.

On Mon & Tues everything seemed fine. Ate and drank normally and urinated as normal. Took Mon & Tues off. Got up at 6 this morning and went out for a easy run. After 5 minutes I was sweating profusely (about 70 degrees outside), became dizzy and nauseated. Had to sit down to keep from falling. That was 2 hours ago and I still feel lightheaded. In 30 years of running/biking, this never has happened to me.

Any ideas?

2010-06-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2910203

User image

Subject: RE: What Did I Do To Myself
Sounds like you bonked bigger than S____ . Takes a few days to get over it.

I've done it once and never, EVER, want to experience it again.
2010-06-09 7:48 AM

Agreed.  Sounds like you bonked.  Once you do it, you know what it feels like and never want to do it again.   Have done it twice here.  Both were on extremely hot days (90 degrees).  Brutal feeling.  Keep drinking lots of fluids and take a few days off.
2010-06-09 7:51 AM

User image

When was your last physical?  Imho, I suggest going to your family physician and get some blood work done.  Better to be safe....

respectfully,

-J
2010-06-09 7:51 AM

Regular
CT
Chills and nauseation in the heat is typically textbook heat stroke. Nasty stuff.  I think you took big chances pushing on.
2010-06-09 7:53 AM

Veteran
Florida
When that has happened to me, I was deyhdrated and did not have enough to eat going into the race.

I drank tons after, and still did not go to the restroom until many hours later, and the workout for the next couple days were terrible.

It did happen to me fairly early in the season when I was still trying to cut weight, so I was not eating enough up until the race.

Edited by Millco 2010-06-09 7:54 AM

2010-06-09 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2910277

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
GottaSki - 2010-06-09 8:51 AM Chills and nauseation in the heat is typically textbook heat stroke. Nasty stuff.  I think you took big chances pushing on.

Yea,  my wife has mentioned that more than once  What concerns me is the run this morning.
2010-06-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2910277

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

GottaSki - 2010-06-09 8:51 AM Chills and nauseation in the heat is typically textbook heat stroke. Nasty stuff.  I think you took big chances pushing on.

Absolutely. Stopping sweating/chills is the signature of heat exhaustion. It can take many days to fully recover...in my experience, it takes about the same time as getting over the flu.

2010-06-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2910508

User image

Expert
Alabama
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-06-09 9:03 AM

Absolutely. Stopping sweating/chills is the signature of heat exhaustion. It can take many days to fully recover...in my experience, it takes about the same time as getting over the flu.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but have a very similar question:

My last two tri's i've done well on the swim and bike, then horrible on the run.  I've taken a gel before start, a gel on the bike and about 32oz fluid on the bike.  Drinking at water stations on the run.  About half way thru the run, I started feeling "cold", but never actually got to chills and didn't "bonk".  Of course it's 90+ degrees outside with 90+% humidity, so i was not cold, but had the feeling?

I just slowed down and walked, so I never really bonked, but was worried enough on the run to slow/walk a lot of the 5k course towards the ending.

What causes this?  Hydration?  Fitness?  Electrolyte depletion?  Should I just push thru it mentally?  or should i really be worried at that point and slow down?

I took the day off after, but started back training on Monday, and was fine....  Tri was on a Saturday, and felt fine the afternoon on Saturday and no ill affects on Sunday.

Edited by pilotzs 2010-06-09 10:07 AM
2010-06-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2910695

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

pilotzs - 2010-06-09 11:06 AM
What causes this?  Hydration?  Fitness?  Electrolyte depletion?  Should I just push thru it mentally?  or should i really be worried at that point and slow down?

It could be caused by any one or combination of these. If you stop sweating, particularly when coupled with unusually flushed skin, feel cold when you clearly shouldn't, get dizzy, have vision issues (spots, tunnel vision, blurry), or nausea not caused by nutrition issues, I'd slow down or even DNF. I think people in very hot climates mistake hyperthermia for dehydration and put themselves in a bad/dangerous position by taking in extra fluids and just pushing through it. And remember, no amount of training, nutrition, electrolytes or hydration (except for ice water, though not because of it's hydrating properties) can compensate for a core temperature that's gotten out of control.

ETA: Not a doctor, but as a native Floridian I've experienced heat issues many times myself (the worst occasion was to the point of vomiting, blurry spotted vision and disorientation), and seen others hospitalized. It becomes pretty easy to spot.

Edited by Meerkat Surprise 2010-06-09 12:58 PM
2010-06-09 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
bighorsecreek - 2010-06-09 5:23 AM

I did an Oly on Sunday. It was about 80 at the start and 90 after the race. I've been training in 70 degree weather. Took the swim easy and came out feeling good. First 10 miles of the bike were good but hot. Then I started having trouble swallowing my EFS (mixed about 80% recommended strength) and started drinking water only. Drank 40oz total on the bike. At T2 I was feeling weak. First part of the run was ok except for the heat. Then at about mile 3, I stopped sweating, got cold chills and nauseated. Told myself to suck it up and walked/jogged the last 3 miles. Tried to drink water, but couldn't hold it down.

After the race I drank 3 - 20oz gatorades, a 20oz sprite and ate a bagel w/peanut butter. When I got home, I weighed 1.5lbs less than prior to the race.

On Mon & Tues everything seemed fine. Ate and drank normally and urinated as normal. Took Mon & Tues off. Got up at 6 this morning and went out for a easy run. After 5 minutes I was sweating profusely (about 70 degrees outside), became dizzy and nauseated. Had to sit down to keep from falling. That was 2 hours ago and I still feel lightheaded. In 30 years of running/biking, this never has happened to me.

Any ideas?

If you could still walk/jog, you didn't bonk. Sounds like heat exhaustion/stroke, low grade. Also, with the straight water, you can throw off your electrolyte balances, especially with heavy sweating.

Did you practice the race with your preferred nutrition?

And with the prolonged dizziness, etc. I would get to a doc and get checked out as well.

John

2010-06-09 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Sounds like dehydration (heat stroke).   Happened to me after my last marathon...nauseated, lightheaded, beginnings of headache, stood up and passed out into the gutter.  Ended up in medical trailer on an IV.  This was in spite of drinking first sports drink, then water, after finishing.  Never happened to me before (and I've been running off-and-on since 1976).

Was on the road to same outcome in my IM last month...could tell I was dehydrated late in the bike.  Took in Gatorade in T2 and continued, but by 7 miles into the run, I was nauseated again and couldn't get fluids down.  Did a lot of walking and basically sucked on ice chips until the nausea passed and I was able to run again.  I'd say I seemed a bit more susceptible to dehydration in the six weeks after the initial episode at the marathon, but doctor didn't find any particular reason.
2010-06-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2910508

User image

Veteran
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-06-09 7:03 AM

Stopping sweating/chills is the signature of heat exhaustion.

Stop sweating is actually a beginning sign of  heat stroke much more serious then heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion is when you have that cold clammy feeling. You are past that when you stop sweating. Very dangerous situation to be in. Water, shade and rest are the only things that will help.  When your body stops sweating it can no longer cool itself off. You should always seek immediate medical help if you stop sweating.

To the OP I would take a few days(maybe a week) off before starting to train again. If you think you are drinking enough you need to drink a lot more. When you do start training be very aware of how your body feels. If you start getting light headed dizzy stop what you are doing right away. 

2010-06-09 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
To me, "bonking" means dangerously low blood sugar to the point where even walking is very difficult. Other symptoms include tingly feeling, dizzyness, cold sweat, confusion.

It's happened a few times, very unpleasant and pretty scary.
2010-06-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2911284

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC

Don't think that I bonked.  I've been there and done that.  This was totally different.  Now that I have looked into it, I feel like it was early stages of heat stroke....stopped sweating, dizzy, nausea.  I wasn't very smart to continue but that male ego kicked in.

Plan to take off  till Saturday and try a slow run then.  In the meantime, I'm drinking a lot more than I usually do and staying out of the heat.  Thanks for the suggestions!

2010-06-09 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
x3 or 4 on taking time off to let your body recover. 
As far as you pushed it you need to give it at least a week.
I also train in high heat and humitity during the summer months and consider those months maintinance months for the run, building months for the swim and endurance vs speedwork for the bike.  We have mild winters for building the run and bike. 

2010-06-09 1:51 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
This seems to be an excellent article regarding heat related issues.

http://www.youcanbefit.com/hydra.html
2010-06-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2911325

User image

bighorsecreek - 2010-06-09 2:34 PM

Don't think that I bonked.  I've been there and done that.  This was totally different.  Now that I have looked into it, I feel like it was early stages of heat stroke....stopped sweating, dizzy, nausea.  I wasn't very smart to continue but that male ego kicked in.

Plan to take off  till Saturday and try a slow run then.  In the meantime, I'm drinking a lot more than I usually do and staying out of the heat.  Thanks for the suggestions!

If you've done it before then you know the symptoms. I didn't even think about heat stroke/exhaustion but rereading that, yeah sounds like that too. Same thing, it takes days to a week to get good and over it.

Don't push it for a week in either case. Might want to get a yearly physical and mention to the Doc what happened so Doc can take a good look at the bloodwork, just in case.
2010-06-09 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2911166

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-06-09 1:54 PM

It could be caused by any one or combination of these. If you stop sweating, particularly when coupled with unusually flushed skin, feel cold when you clearly shouldn't, get dizzy, have vision issues (spots, tunnel vision, blurry), or nausea not caused by nutrition issues, I'd slow down or even DNF. I think people in very hot climates mistake hyperthermia for dehydration and put themselves in a bad/dangerous position by taking in extra fluids and just pushing through it. And remember, no amount of training, nutrition, electrolytes or hydration (except for ice water, though not because of it's hydrating properties) can compensate for a core temperature that's gotten out of control.

Bingo!!!

I think you are right on the money with this statement.  Last summer during a HIM build, I had numerous issues with training (especially with my long rides/bricks).  I'm a South FL athlete as well and a super profuse sweater, so I thought that perhaps I wasn't drinking enough.  I was drinking around 40oz of fluid (liquid calories) per hour on my long rides, sometimes even more.  When that didn't snap me out of it, I tried messing around with salt and then messing around with calories.  I did this all summer long and right up until Augusta 70.3.  I never did figure it out.

This year, as soon as we had a string of 90+ degree days (remember that one week in mid-April this year?), it was like a bad dream all over again!  I even posted a 'help' post on here!  Folks gave lots of thoughtful tips regarding hydration, salt intake, etc... 

Right before Florida 70.3 I got some VERY good advice from a Hawaii based triathlete about stuffing myself with ice (bra, cap, shorts) every chance that I got.  The only reason why I finished FL 70.3 on two feet was because I used ice at every aid station.  I was stuffed top to bottom with it.  Since then I have been using ice on every one of my training runs.  If I'm leaving from home, I make a 3-4 mile loop and re-stuff myself.  If I'm running at a remote location, I pack a cooler and do the same thing (3-4 mile loops).  I cannot even begin to describe what a difference using ice has made for me.  My HR drops, my energy returns... it's really incredible.  I'm still trying to figure out how to manage using ice for long bike rides, but I've got some ideas.

I'm not a doc, so what I'm writing here is just based upon my own personal experience.  Bottom line:  If you are exercising in 90+ weather with high humidity, you pretty much lose the benefit of evaporative cooling (air is already saturated, so it doesn't wick the sweat off of your skin to cool you).  It is well known that you cannot replace every ounce of fluid that you lose via sweat through increased hydration.  Both of these things result in an elevated core temperature which needs to be cooled using outside methods (like either walking, calling it a day and finding shade or by using ice to cool your core if you want to continue exercising).  Getting a good jump on cooling is super important too.  I stuff myself with ice 'before' I leave the house.

**Of special note, pouring cool water over your head or back may feel good, but the coolness doesn't last long enough to cool your core temp.  In addition, with high humidity, that cool water (which will turn warm pretty much instantaneously) ends up sitting on your skin just like sweat would.  It will not evaporate and it will not help to cool you.  This is the same reason why performance "wicking" fabrics work very well in dry climates (they use your sweat to promote evaporative cooling), but do nothing in humid climates to help keep you cool.  I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but this is pretty much how it is in my So. FL world.

To the OP:  Take care of yourself out there.

Edited by shellabree 2010-06-09 3:24 PM
2010-06-09 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2911389

User image

Veteran
COSkiGirl - 2010-06-09 11:51 AM This seems to be an excellent article regarding heat related issues.

Great article.Thanks for that.
2010-06-09 4:08 PM

Zimmerman, MN

To re-iterate what others have said,  these are classic symptoms of heat - exhaustion / heat - stroke (two different things, and it seems that you were suffering from or on the verge of heat stroke,  much more serious.

To add to this though, once you have been a victim of heat - exhaustion / stroke,  you are more susceptible to future episodes.  See your doc! 

2010-06-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2911783

User image

Expert
Alabama

kbsnow - 2010-06-09 3:59 PM
COSkiGirl - 2010-06-09 11:51 AM This seems to be an excellent article regarding heat related issues.

Great article.Thanks for that.

Very good article.  Lots of good information in this thread. 

After reading thru the article and some information here, seems like I probably had the possible beginnings of heat exhaustion.  I'll be on the watch for this?

Any suggestions about how to ward off the heat exhaustion before it develops?  I don't seem to have this problem while training, only during the run portion of the two sprint Tri's.

2010-06-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2911884

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Here are some tips for avoiding heat exhaustion and heat stroke:

• Drink even when you're not thirsty - you need to constantly think about how much you're drinking.  You need to replace what you're sweating out, and then some.
  • Drink electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium...) when you're sweating a lot to help your body absorb the water you drink.  Gatorade for example.
  • Eat bananas.
  • Get yourself a well ventilated, light colored hat for the run. 
  • Try to avoid races in hot and humid climates. 
Hope you recover soon so you can get back to your training.
2010-06-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2911330

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

Dano2010 - 2010-06-09 2:37 PM
I also train in high heat and humitity during the summer months

So thought my friend from Va. Beach when she moved down here. She wound up on the side of the trail with strangers trying to take her to the hospital after an 8-10 mile run (she even brought her 2L Camelbak despite assuring me it would be unnecessary). And that was on October 28. It serves as a warning that even after you've spent all summer acclimating, when racing in conditions which might be only marginally different from your training, things can fall apart shockingly fast. Once your body temperature hits that critical point, it's a very steep drop down the other side.

As far as the OP, may I infer that the run portion of your sprint tri is happening a bit later than when you would normally be running? The extra 3 or 4 degrees of heat, combined with the stress of having just come from the bike-run could be enough to push you over the edge.

Also to the OP, where are you? What sort of conditions are we talking about?

2010-06-10 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2912085

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-06-09 7:32 PM

Dano2010 - 2010-06-09 2:37 PM
I also train in high heat and humitity during the summer months

Also to the OP, where are you? What sort of conditions are we talking about?

It was at the Kerr Lake Tri in Henderson NC  Temp was around 80 at the start and 90 (in the shade) and very humid at the finish.  Very little shade along the run course.  All training was done in the mountains in 60 & 70 degree weather. 

Mistakes I made:
- Did not hydrate prior to the race
- Wore dark blue tri-top
- Mixed my EFT to strong...need to experiment more in training
- Bald head with no hat
- Should have stopped when I stopped sweating, although I did pause at the 3 mile aid station, poured water on my head and drank a 20oz bottle of water.  I think that I started sweating again, but not certain
- Need to train in conditions similar to race day conditions
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Did I Do To Myself Rss Feed  

of 2