United States
Ft. Collins Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 10s
Overall Rank = 86/245
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:15 to go to the bathroom and couldn't really sleep well after that. First tri and I was afraid I was going to miss one of the 2 alarms I had set or the wake up call. Yeah, I'm a bit neurotic sometimes. :) Woke up for good at 5, bathroom, shower, stretch, banana, gatorade, immodium (is it okay to pop those like a multi-vitamin?! just kidding), make sure I have everything and out the door.
Event warmup:

Met Jon (Det) and Ben (triforresttri) in the parking lot at Ft. Collins Club, in to use the little triathlete's room again and then maybe a half mile bike ride to where the tri was to rack out bikes, set up transitions, etc. Hit the bathroom one more time (fortunately I've found this is normal) and then go in to the pool to get ready. Hadn't swum in about 2 weeks so I got in the water and did a few quick laps. Can't forget what ya never knew.
Swim
  • 10m 6s
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was most nervous about the swim. Since it's a pool swim and you needed to give them a time estimate to pace people and send them off, I thought I overstated mine. When I registered I had no idea and said 10 minutes. I swam 450 yds straight once (after I registered) and did it in 11:30. I thought I was gonna get passed by everyone. As it turns out, I'm incredibly happy with my swim! Got passed by the kid right behind me who went out like he was on fire. Passed me in the first 50 yds but I looked up and saw his effort, I knew I'd get him back, and did in the next 50 yds. No one passed me after that. I don't know why things felt good, but they did. My only swim thought was on pace and breathing. I'd count in my head - 1, 2, 3, breathe, 1, 2, 3, breathe and did that for the first 250 yds and switched to 1, 2, breathe for the next 100 yds. I couldn't hold my FS for the whole thing, but still 350 yds of it is a long way for me. Did sidestroke for the next 75 yds and then went FS on the last 25 and hit it hard. Saw those steps and was so happy I was out of the water!
What would you do differently?:

Switching under the lane lines sucked for me. There must have been a handful of times that I came up right underneath it and hit my head or hit it with my arm on a stroke, but overall I don't have any real complaints.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

My transition area was over to the right coming out of the pool and the bike exit was back over to the left (nearer the swim exit). I thought I was doing okay, but my T1 time sucked. Never practiced it, though, so I can't complain too much. Nevermind that, yeah I can. My T1 time sucked! Couldn't get my shirt on and was just pokey.

Not worry so much about my whole shirt being on as long as my head and arms are through the right holes, it's on. Could've also picked a better transition spot closer to the center.
Bike
  • 36m 26s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and didn't get clipped in cleanly. Then I got going and realized my bike computer didn't work. Ben and I discussed not using a bike computer at dinner the night before, but I said I wanted mine. Too bad for me. It was a fast course, but I like knowing when I can make little adjustments to position, or gears, etc. to bump up my mph by tenths of a mile. I'm picky that way and think it would've helped a little. I passed a lot of people on the bike and really only got passed by people on tri bikes. Their bodies looked much happier than mine felt and they put me behind them like I was yesterday. My body wasn't real happy with me but I pushed anyway. Felt like I needed to pull over and ralph somewhere. And since I conveniently forgot water all I had was gatorade which wasn't helping any. I figured when and where I'd drink, and did. Although my pedaling felt strong my stomach/chest felt not so good. Only problem I had on the bike was on 2 corners. One was tight and a tri bike passed me so I stayed tight inside. Too tight apparently as my back wheel skipped along the crack where the road meets curb. Stayed up though. Second one was after gunning it on a downhill I caught a lady on a corner (unfortunately) and she swung waaaaaaay out (I yelled before we entered the corner to let her know I was there) so I had to hit the brakes. Sucked because it was before an uphill. I did do a good job of staying in my drops for pretty much the whole time though.

Remember water instead of gatorade. Make sure my bike computer works.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Saw Ben's bike so it was easy to find my stuff (thanks Ben!). Made a conscious decision (that I now regret) to take it easy and let my HR slow a little before the run. Wouldn't have mattered either way so I should've just kept moving.

Keep moving at a better race pace. Get yankz or something instead of tying my shoes.
Run
  • 22m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started running and knew I was in trouble. Thought I was on the frickin Trail of Tears and didn't know what was gonna happen next. Legs would NOT turn over and my breathing was heavy and sucky despite focusing on it primarily. I had my HRM on my chest and my race belt on my waist, both of which felt like they were squeezing the life out of me. I was claustrophobic in my own skin at that point. And then I got not 1, not 2, but 3! 3 stinkin side aches! One on my lower left, one on my lower right and one on my right just under my ribs. Deep breaths were impossible. Somehow I still passed a couple people even though my stride was uber-choppy at best. About a mile into it I got passed my some guy that was flying and I passed a guy myself. Talked myself into increasing my stride length and did. At 1.5 miles there was an aid station. I could've kissed the lady that was spraying the hose. Grabbed and drank what I think was holy water because I was immediately better. Sideaches disappeared instantly. It was like walking into an air-conditioned house on a triple digit day. Didn't get going right away though until I finally told myself to quit being such a wuss, quit feeling sorry for myself and suck it up and run. My entire run time is attributed to me running my ass off for the last half of the 5k. Breathing was hard but steady and strides were good and extended. And then my stupid shoe came untied with about a 1/2 mile to go, but I knew I had to be close so I kept going. I figured if I had to I'd take it off and carry it if I had to because I wasn't re-tying it. Started coming down a straight and saw/heard Ben and Rachelle (Ben's wife), turned a corner, sprinted and finished.

Know the course better. Get yankz. Bricks. Lots and lots more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice spread of oranges, bananas, water, gatorade, bagels, etc. so I grabbed some of that and went over by Ben and Rachelle to watch Jon come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on my transitions and start doing a LOT more bricks. I really think that if I could have not wasted so much time getting my body in tune on the run, I could've done a 7-minute mile.

Event comments:

No complaints since it was my first tri. It's a very good course and well-organized event for a first-timer and I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, relatively unchallenging course to get broken in and/or build confidence. There's another one here on 9/11 and I've already registered for that.

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:06 | 450 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 181/245
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: 18 lap snake swim in pool. Send a person every 10 seconds.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:26 | 13 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Overall: 59/245
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 3 loops of a relatively flat and fast course. 2 hills - one roller and one slightly steeper (but shorter).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 56/245
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop that weaved around/through an area neighborhood. Nice and flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon Series

2005-07-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #194722

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon Series
Ryan you did awesome!  And, just like your blog, your RR is rather entertaining!    Great job!  congrats on the first tri! 
2005-07-11 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Awesome race bro!!! I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed. Running a 7:20 pace and averaging 21 mph on the bike are some pretty serious stats, especially for your 1st ever triathlon.
2005-07-11 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

You must have really been hauling ass on the last half of the run if that's the only thing responsible for your good run time.  7:20 min/mile is faster than I can run a 400 at the track

Swimming under the lane lines sounds like a pain - I've never done a pool swim tri, and always wondered if it would even be possible to do flip turns...

Great job!!

2005-07-11 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey man good job. I feel you in the Gatorade. Made me want to puke! You went fast man!! Well done.
2005-07-11 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Hey! Nobody has mentioned the supposedly free beer from New Belgium? That's the whole reason I signed up for September!

Good race...it sounds like the you worked through your struggles with a sense of humor!

Melanie

2005-07-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: #195568

User image

Expert
Ya know, I completely forgot about that. I had a beer, but it was just Bud Light?! I was so thirsty, the Bud Light actually tasted good, but something from New Belgium would have been much better. Might have to BMOB (Bring My Own Beer) next time
2005-07-14 8:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well done for your first Tri!  You did awesome!  Nice run pace consedering your side ache!  Now you're hooked aren't you?  Have Fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ft. Collins Club Triathlon Series Rss Feed