Evergreen to Avon, CO
Team Evergreen
80F / 27C
Total Time = 8h 12m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eat the standard double-bowl of oatmeal. I have now given up coffee before races. Wasn't having the desired effect, and the dehydrating affect more than offsets the taste/comfort on early mornings.
Event warmup:

Try to find my race packet. Didn't. Some dork at REI screwed up, so I had no number. Wonder if I'll get any photos?
Bike
  • 8h 12m
  • 122 miles
  • 14.88 mile/hr
Comments:

HAVE TO START EARLY!!!!!
This is the second big ride I've done where I started with the huge crowd and that part really sucks. Aid stations are so busy that I pass some of them. It's my own damn fault - I should've learned my lesson last time. At least it thinned out after Loveland Pass.
I carried a bottle of gatorade and a bottle with concentrated perpetuem in the cages. Also carried a full sized bottle of water in my jersey. My other jersey pockets had a bandana (to clean the glasses), grenade of hammer gel, cell phone, baggie of endurolytes. That's not enough for the ride, but I planned to use the aid stations for the difference. Aid stations had Accelerade, fig newtons, hammer gels, oranges, pbjs, turkey sandwiches, watermelon, and other stuff i can't even think of!
What would you do differently?:

Leave earlier.
Otherwise, I had it nailed. Carried a flat kit in pouch under the seat. My wallet and keys fit there too. I was able to wad my rain jacket and tuck it into the straps too. It never fell out and i was glad to have it along when the rain started.
At the finish I felt great! A marathon would have been very difficult, but not out of the question!
Post race
Warm down:

walk, stretch, eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed at a solid speed, but didn't want to be trashed. I'd rather practice keeping a steady effort, thinking of the run that will follow in November. ;)

Event comments:

Excellent event, but riders definately have to be responsible for themselves!! Weather, bad road, and potential for high speed crashes could all be part of your day. If riders take the circumstances seriously and are able to resist the lemming-like urge to be the fastest rider down the hill - this event is fantastic and unique. Sure, you can do the ride any summer day, but you won't have the luxury of (mostly) ignoring traffic because johnny law is there to take care of it for you! Also no need for a friend to be conscripted to sag. All taken care of! And most important was the feeling of comraderie. My ride buddy got antsy so he took off early and I never did catch him. I ended up befriending who ever was around and I really enjoyed the day.
Finally - the post race setup and spread was top notch!!! The entry fee is more than fair to get such a high-powered jersey and a catered, first-class, all-you-can-eat dinner. Not a power bar and an orange wedge. Freshly grilled burgers with a fixins table. Grilled chicken, baked potato, tossed salad. They also fenced a football-field sized area that only riders and paying guests could enter. Most of the sponsor's booths and all the bikes were around the periphery. It created a nice mellow area for riders inside where there was plenty of room to picnic and chat. I have NEVER enjoyed a nicer post race.
Oh, BTW, didn't realize til Friday night that return transportation is not included in the race fee. Big touring buses were provided - for an additional $65. HAH, I met some nice people and scored a free ride right to my car in Evergreen. priceless :)

Last updated: 2005-02-17 12:00 AM
Biking
08:12:00 | 122 miles | 14.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR was in the low 160s on the climbs. I kept a strong, but comfortable pace.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: From Evergreen, ride up Squaw Pass to Echo Lake Lodge on Mt. Evans. Downhill into Idaho Springs. Frontage Road, bike path, and shoulder of I-70 to get to Loveland ski area. Whew, that was the long grind of the day. At least riding up Loveland pass is relatively short, even though it's steep. Top out a 12,000' with snow on the side of road and light rain falling. Brrr. 20ish miles of downhill past Arapahoe Basin and Keystone ski areas. Fun! Around the north side of Dillon Reservoir, which is much longer than I expected. And who put Swann Mtn there? I've never even heard of it before! That was a long, nasty surprise! Downhill from Swann ends at Frisco and aid station #4. By now I'm stopping just to make sure that I'm managing my hydration & nutrition. I've been out so long that I'm starting to lose track of my intake. Follow the "10 mile canyon" bike path all the way to Copper Mountain. That was new to me too, and very cool. Arriving in Copper, I wanted to be done, especially when I passed the parking spot where I had left my car on Monday when we rode Copper Triangle. At least I know exactly what comes next. Up Vail Pass on the bike path - yeah! last pass!!! :) Then zoom fast for awhile, then ride the brakes on the windy part, get on the old service road and really fly into East Vail. Hit the headwind on the flats and slow wayyyyy down. At mile 107 jump on the passing pace line and hold an average of 35mph all the way to Avon. Coolest part of the ride!!! Felt like I was in the TDF with all the traffic control and the high speeds around the traffice circle (Vail looks very European, so it was easy to imagine ;) ). Then on down the canyon to Avon.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-12 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Triple Bypass

OK, this wasn't really a race, but I thought a race report would be cool! :)

Some people didn't get the memo "THIS IS NOT A RACE!"  And they took huge risks.  Some were carted off in ambulances.  Not one or two, but a fair number of people.  Darwinism at work, I guess.  I weigh almost 190 and can pass most other cyclists (on the downhill) because of my mass.  So, I now know I'm not a real hammerhead racer.  I don't pedal all the way down the 10 miles of steep descent just so that I can go 55 instead of 45mph!!!  Jeez these idiots are scary.  When 145 lb riders pass me on a steep downhill, I know they're really pushing hard.  Unfortunately, this is a dangerous place for that.  Since it's not a race, some really cautious riders who got up early are in front and not expecting Il Falco to pass them at 65mph!!  Just want to make sure any report readers who consider this ride are aware of the hazards posed by some of your "fellow" riders!  If you want to do this ride, be ready to grind up big hills for hours and then be ready to go into a defensive "survival mode" on the descent.  Have to keep yourself safe!

That said - I HIGHLY recommend this ride!! :)

Edited by Alpine87 2005-07-12 1:35 PM

2005-07-12 1:18 PM
in reply to: #196166

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Triple Bypass

So, after riding over all those passes, they make you ride all the way to Avon?  Geez - the least they could do is let you stop when you hit Vail

Sounds like a good time!  A bunch of my clients here at work did the ride too.  They're Canadian and they all just bought $5000 bikes, so they figured it would be an experience.

2005-07-12 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Way to go Brett. Sounds like a ride I've got to try sometime. Although, I would die in real hlls (mountains).
2005-07-12 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

So, you're ready to do it again huh? When I did it last year, I had just come off a week of Ride the Rockies and almost 500 miles of riding in a week - the majority of it climbing, and had saddle sores. Soooooo . . . the Triple was not too much fun for me. I was sick of my bike, but I had already paid, so I figured I'd just do it. I'm glad I did though. At least I can say I've done it, right? And I agree about Swann Mountain. I was thinking "Quadruple Bypass" was a little more fitting! I'm glad you had fun!

Didn't I tell ya that slog from Idaho Springs up to the base of Loveland was fun?? Ha!

2005-07-12 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Dang Brett, that is incredible! "At the finish I felt great! A marathon would have been very difficult, but not out of the question!" Well, then I'd say you're about ready because there's not an IM bike course in the world that hard! (I think) I didn't know there was a bike path from Idaho Spgs up! That'd be neat to ride one day!
2005-07-12 4:54 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Awesome Brett!  Sounds like a fun day....if only you had a sag wagon and were riding with your friends instead of the idiots!  

seriously though, nice work!

2005-07-12 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Brett,What can I say man you rock. Your dedication and determination are priceless. That sucks you had to find your own ride back but glad you scored a freebie. Triple Bypass the name alone scares me. I'd be curious to hear about your nutrition but I know on a ride like that they have Aide Stations galore. Good job buddy. See ya in two weeks at BP. Old Stage Road is gonna seem like a itty bitty hiccup to you. Woo Hoo. Way to go man.
2005-07-12 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

Congratulations on a challenging course.  Now I am sure you will start to get back into the swing of a normal (does that exist?) routine.

2005-07-12 6:16 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW awesome ride....I aspire to someday ride so far.  Glad you had a great time -SMO
2005-07-12 11:10 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Thanks for recaping your day. I felt like I lived the ride vicariously through you and those miles in Co. are no joke. The altitude alone would have done me in and let's not touch the fact that you have some wicked (and I mean wicked in the best and most painful way) hills in your neck of the woods.

Awesome job, your going to tear it up when you do your IM.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Bypass Rss Feed