General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post race let down... after half iron? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-26 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Subject: Post race let down... after half iron?

I have heard of people feeling the post race blues after an Ironman, but I am definitely bummed out after my half iron event 30 days ago. 

For the first week I was reveling in all that I accomplished due to work/life/training balance (I travel high volumes internationally for work and often have spur of the moment life events pop up which can distract from training.)

The next week I had an injury which prevented me from really doing much. 

The last 2 weeks for me have not been about recovery as it has been about exhaustion.  I am tired but am feeling more let down than anything.

Is this normal?  I want to find my motivation and excitement again, but my half iron was the race I have been training for for nearly 2 years (life issue forced me to miss my half iron in 2009) and now I am just sort of... lost. 

Edited by })i({RunnerGirl 2010-07-26 3:56 PM

2010-07-26 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3005613

User image

Subject: RE: Post race let down... after half iron?
Perfectly normal     Congrats.   Soon, you'll start to think about training again, and pick out a race for later in the year, or next year, and start the vicious cycle all over again!
2010-07-26 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh yes this is normal. Completely normal. Part of my mental training is training for that feeling. I can't wait for my HIM to be done!! I'm looking forward to the month of October!! (this is part of my mental training..). I am going to see friends that I have neglected. I want to go camping! I want to go trail riding!! They call this the transition period. Once I'm done with my "down" time, then I start thinking about my new season, new goals, and moving forward.
Maybe take a moment with some paper and write down your accomplishments for the last two years. Then, write down the things that maybe you've missed out on because of training. That might help put it all into perspective for you and also help you find the drive to do something that you have been wanting to do, but couldn't because of training, injury, exhaustion, etc..
This too shall pass- I promise.
2010-07-26 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3005628

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

Thank you Chris!  I have hope.  I think that part of it has been that I have not been out doing my typical thing and seeing my typical people.  I feel really lost, almost left behind because everyone else has a fall Half and mine was so early and now I am just sort of... chilling. 

I like your suggestion to look ahead. 

2010-07-26 4:07 PM

Master

You are a rockstar.  I'm not sure if I got around to saying this...but congratulations on your race! 

We do this for fun, right (well, most of us)?  Don't feel guilty if you are lacking the motivation right now to train.  Take a break, enjoy life, do whatever you want to do and get back at it when you are ready and you want to do it because it is fun.  : )

Maybe find some other, non-tri races.  I know of a 3 mile open water swim race next weekend....if you are interested! 

Edited by hamiltks10 2010-07-26 4:09 PM
2010-07-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3005650

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

Sami - Oh wow... I always was thinking of things I wanted to do once my race was over, MTB riding, trail running, kayaking, yoga as a practice...  but I felt bad or that I was cheating on my triathlon.   I also felt a little sheepish admitting that I wanted to do these other things, because I never wanted to come across as being uninterested in the thing I have been dedicating so much time of my life to for the past 2 years. 

Thank you all so much for the input.  It helps hearing that this is a normal transition from planning to doing to reflecting.   Now I just hope that I can find that motivation to hit the streets again very soon!

2010-07-26 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3005665

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

Kristen - you are awesome.  <3   I can always count on you to bring a smile to this BT RAWK Squader's face. 

2010-07-26 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Come out and train with us. You don't need an event to train for to be out there....but we need your smile there with us!

Come and play please. I need help!!

2010-07-26 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3005689

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

trixie - 2010-07-26 5:13 PM

Come out and train with us. You don't need an event to train for to be out there....but we need your smile there with us!

Come and play please. I need help!!

It's a date!

2010-07-27 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Totally normal !

Remember that you have two more races to look foward to this season
2010-07-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3005650

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
nuttysami123 - 2010-07-26 5:03 PM Oh yes this is normal. Completely normal. Part of my mental training is training for that feeling. I can't wait for my HIM to be done!! I'm looking forward to the month of October!! (this is part of my mental training..). I am going to see friends that I have neglected. I want to go camping! I want to go trail riding!! They call this the transition period. Once I'm done with my "down" time, then I start thinking about my new season, new goals, and moving forward.
Maybe take a moment with some paper and write down your accomplishments for the last two years. Then, write down the things that maybe you've missed out on because of training. That might help put it all into perspective for you and also help you find the drive to do something that you have been wanting to do, but couldn't because of training, injury, exhaustion, etc..
This too shall pass- I promise.

Wow, I think this is great advice! I am going to use this, because after my IM, I don't have plans to do another one for 13 years or so, so I'm expecting a big let-down because of how awesome and powerful I have felt during IM training. This is a great idea to start now with mental training to prep myself. Thank you!

2010-07-31 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
This thread came at the right time!  I did my first HIM 2 weeks ago and since then I have totally lacked a desire to train for my upcoming IM (September).  And I am so exhausted that I actually dozed off at work last evening....  That's never happened to me before!  I'm back in the saddle, but still lacking motivation.
2010-08-01 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3015558

WI_tri_guy - 2010-07-31 10:34 AM This thread came at the right time!  I did my first HIM 2 weeks ago and since then I have totally lacked a desire to train for my upcoming IM (September).  And I am so exhausted that I actually dozed off at work last evening....  That's never happened to me before!  I'm back in the saddle, but still lacking motivation.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  Just going thru the motions right now.  I can get thru all the workouts okay except the long weekly bike.  I have to psych myself up for it, I feel so tired. 
2010-08-06 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I had a really awful time after my 1st half-iron last year.  I had a tough race although I was thrilled that I finished - it was mentally tough and I had spent so much time training that I didn't know what to do when it was over.  I spent a month on the couch, eating and sort-of training.  I had no motivation and was just not into anything.  Once the school year got going I got into the swing of things again and geared up for a winter 1/2 mary and registered for my 2nd HIM.

This year I knew what to expect - but what I wasn't expecting was for the race to go as well as it did.  I got home - still riding the high - and decided to go for a run (bad idea) and spent the next 24 hours completely nauseous in bed.  Anyway - I knew that I would feel "off" and instead of letting myself wallow on the couch I've done other things.  Watched my BF play baseball, walked with the dogs, gone for easy (no Garmin) runs and bikes.  I knew I would be physically tired and that it would impact how I felt mentally. So no pressure. 

It's a good idea to take a minute and reflect on what you have done and be proud of your accomplishments.  You've worked hard and should enjoy your successes.
2010-08-09 11:35 AM

User image

DC
I asked the same after my first IM last year. My primary issue was feeling like I mastered the IM as I felt I didn't struggle "enough" (well, before mile 8 of the run Laughing). A wise BT'er wrote something like this: Your IM/HIM is a day to celebrate your tri lifestyle. That's it. Don't try to pull more expectations out of it. It is what it is.

Mad advise IMO. I think now, in hindsight, that trying to pull more out of it doesn't allow you to fully enjoy (& brag!) about your awesome accomplishment. That's one part of it. Another is whether you traumatized your body "too" much. Like the sedentary couch potato who completes a marathon after a year's training only to go back to his ways of the past... permanently. It doesn't sound like this is the case though.

Many congrats. 
2010-08-21 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
i took almost a month off after my first HIM. I was sick of everythng as it had become less of a fun thing to do and more of a "have to do". The thing that snapped me out of inactivity and rekindled my interest in exercising was signing up for a local 5k. It gave me a small easily attainable (didnt have to train 10 hours a week to run the race) target. That carried me over to another 5k then to a a longer race then to triathlon season

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post race let down... after half iron? Rss Feed