Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3006561

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Transition - Keep it Simple
Pretty similar here as well, though like others, it's two pair of shoes on a towel, along with the race belt UNDER the run shoes, and glasses in the helmet. If it's raining, the glasses go on the aero bars and the helmet turns over (to keep it as dry as possible before putting it on -- yeah, hair will be wet anyway...).

2010-07-27 11:29 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Great setup and good advice. In pretty much every race I do, there are at least 4 or 5 guys in my AG that beat me on the course but lose to me in transition. It hasn't gotten me a podium yet, but I've been damn close and it'll happen at some point.

I'm with those that are a bit surprised by the "most races don't allow shoes to be clipped in" comment. The only 2 races I've ever done that had that rule were IMLP and IMAZ.

As for the backpack, I'm all for it. The set up looks simple, but you had to get it all there: goggles, wetsuit, swim cap, bike shoes, socks (maybe), helmet, sunglasses, running shoes, race belt, hat. All that while pushing your bike. Then you've got to juggle all of that while you get body marked. Plus, it's usually nice to have Body Glide, sun block, maybe some clothes to change into when the race is over, etc.

I was lucky enough win one of the prizes from the Slowtwitch newsletter raffle last year and I picked the Rocket Science Elite bag. It's overkill and not necessarily something I'd buy on my own, but it's awesome. Separate compartments to keep everything organized (and easily run through a check list to make sure you have everything). There's a wet/dry compartment for your wetsuit/speedsuit. Plenty of extra pockets for other stuff. Definitely nice to have. I load that sucker up and have it strapped to my back.

ETA: since it's so convenient to pack around, I'll usually take it back to my car once transition is set up, that way I don't have to worry about it being in the way during the race.

Edited by dgunthert 2010-07-27 11:31 AM
2010-07-27 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
My setup is similar as well, but I also don't clip my shoes in, and I fold up an old towel into a strip just wide enough for my shoes, hat, and race number.  I leave a space in the front of the towel about 12"x12" to do a quick wipe of my feet so I don't end up with gravel in my shoes that could cause discomfort.  This set up has helped me get faster transitions.

I do use a transition bag, but it has extra "what if" gear like extra goggles, extra contact lenses and a small first aid kit.  I usually throw it under a tree or along a fence like Shane.
2010-07-27 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I can't balance my helmet on the bars of my roadie with no aero bars, so I had to leave it on the ground with the sunglasses inside.  I wish I hadn't because I was worried it would get bumped and roll around or something.
2010-07-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3007559

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
JZig - 2010-07-27 10:08 AM I can't balance my helmet on the bars of my roadie with no aero bars, so I had to leave it on the ground with the sunglasses inside.  I wish I hadn't because I was worried it would get bumped and roll around or something.

I would use an old towel rolled up a bit on the two outer sides, forming a 'slot' that would hold the helmet from rolling. This would still take up no more space really than just the helmet..
2010-07-27 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
This is my exact set up as well...for those that don't think transitions matter here is my last tri I did...Three positions ahead and behind me for each transition

T1            T2
1:06       :42
1:45      1:32
1:43      1:16
:58         :44
1:44      1:32
2:48      1:21
2:02      1:25

Avg T1 = :42 Gain
Avg T2 = :34 Gain

So that's 1:16 I gained by just being efficient in transition...no work, no struggle, just like 2 seconds of practice in the driveway...it's worth it! Make sure your results look like this...there is no reason they shouldn't.

2010-07-27 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JZig - 2010-07-27 2:08 PM

I can't balance my helmet on the bars of my roadie with no aero bars, so I had to leave it on the ground with the sunglasses inside.  I wish I hadn't because I was worried it would get bumped and roll around or something.

When I race draft legal events, I had a similar problem because my helmet was not very secure when resting on the bars.  A friend of mine showed me a trick that he had stolen from some of the ITU athletes for keeping your helmet in place:

Although it doesn't appear that secure, the bike (or rack) can take a rather large bump before the helmet is dislodged from the brake hood.

Shane
2010-07-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3006766

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 10:17 AM

While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.

I find it very practical; I've been using this setup for at least three seasons at every race venue.  Sand, what little there is by the time I mount my bike, doesn't bother me in my tri shoes so I don't worry about it.

LaurenSU02 - 2010-07-27 11:22 AM

Is that your backpack off in the back? That's the toughest part -- most of the time we need to keep our backpacks right there with our bike.

It is my backpack; if I have my backpack I will either leave it somewhere along the fence or stash it somewhere else at the race site so that it is out of the way of other competitors.

Shane

2010-07-27 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
JZig - 2010-07-27 1:08 PM I can't balance my helmet on the bars of my roadie with no aero bars, so I had to leave it on the ground with the sunglasses inside.  I wish I hadn't because I was worried it would get bumped and roll around or something.

This goes both ways.  I've come in to T1 to find that someone knocked my helmet off of the bars...

My setup is pretty much exactly like Shane's.  I find that it works well, and lately I've been mostly top 2-5% in transitions (once I started getting better at T2, which used to be a problem for me).

Couple of comments to reiterate:

* sand/dirt in shoe -- I've never had a problem, and have run through all sorts of transition areas.  But I also don't think it's a big deal if someone adds a pair of socks to Shane's setup.  I think it's slower, but not a big deal.  If my foot were caked with something potentially uncomfortable, I'd just wipe with my hand prior to putting my feet into the the shoes.

* flying mount -- it isn't just a matter of practicing the flying mount, though of course this is crucial.  It is a matter of doing it in an appropriate place (as best you can, not blocking other riders).  And what I find to be maximally annoying is not the people who can't jump on (because I'm not going to try to mount my bike right behind someone else anyway -- I'll be off to the side and just fly by them as they crash), but the people who weave all over the road trying to put their feet into their shoes.  Get up to speed and well clear of the start before even thinking about this.  And by 'up to speed' I don't mean 10mph (unless that happens to be your racing speed) but up to race pace.  And be able to reach down and put your foot in while holding your line.

* I have a tri bag, which I stash against a nearby fence if I can.  I like it.  My transition is very clean, as in OP's pic, but I bring all sorts of stuff with me to a race.  I wear contacts, but bring a spare pair of glasses just in case.  I bring some sports drink to sip, a few bike tools, maybe a Gu or three, maybe some clothes to put on after the race, some electrical tape, spare goggles, etc., etc..  I like that the bag has many separate pockets where I can put these things so that I am not digging through a bag of cr*p to find them when I want them.  So sue me.
2010-07-27 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Very nice, I keep mine very simple also.  I use my one of my sons old soccer bags as the helmet fits nicely where where he would put the ball. OTH, if someone spent $150 on a transition bag I could care less.  Unless it gets in my way its none of my business how much that person spent.  I usually lug the bag back to my truck if it isnt a large race.  I do put down a small towel underneath just in case (adds a couple of inches of space used, not worth getting worked up about).  I also reverse the order: race belt with number in hat on top of running shoes.

I do leave my shoes on the bike but do a modified mount where I put my foot on the pedal push the bike off and flip my leg over and start peddaling.  Not quite as fast as a full flying mount but faster (and safer for me) then getting on, clipping in, etc.  +100 on getting up to speed before putting your shoes on.
2010-07-27 2:28 PM

User image

Master
PNW
That's pretty much what my setup is except that my helmet sits on my bike shoes (on the ground) since I don't have aerobars.  I also keep a water bottle in transition - for extra hydration without weight on the bike and for rinsing if necessary (haven't needed it for this yet).

The part that gets me is that when I am setting up before the race, it takes just a few minutes.  I ALWAYS feel like I'm forgetting something because everyone else around me takes sooo much more time getting ready.  I find myself purposely stalling and fiddling around in case I remember something last minute.  It's nerve-wracking.  I know this will get better as I get more experience and therefore more confidence in my own abilities...but those people who bring their whole lives into transition are messing me up!

2010-07-27 2:45 PM

User image

In my tri last weekend, one guy across from me actually told me I needed to move my backpack that was directly under my back wheel (racked by the saddle) because he didn't want to spill water from his bucket on my things.  He said he planned to keep his bucket on the outside, but would then move the bucket under the rack after he washed his feet so it wasn't in his way.

I was totally dumbfounded.  Telling me to move my things in my area so he would have ample room for all this things that doesn't fit in his area.  I mean...god forbid that your bucket that you chose to use is in your way.

2010-07-27 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Let me start this by saying I am by no means an elite racer.

I try to keep my transition area simple as well.  My helmet hanging from my bars with glasses inside.  Two water bottles on my bike, one for sand, one to actually drink.  Bike shoes, running shoes, and tech shirt underneat the back wheel on a transition mat.  That's it.

With that said, I did pay some $150 or so for a Rocket Science Elite bag.  They were out of stock so upgraded me for free to the Rocket bag.  I'm happy with it, I also don't keep it in my transition area.  I do use my bike for commuting, I S/B/R during the day and need to have running shoes and swimming gear easily transported to and from work.  The bag does a spectacular job of keeping wet gear separate from dry gear as well as nice organization.  If that makes me a tool of some type for having a nice tri bag and sucking at tri's, so be it.  It does what I need and it does it very well.
2010-07-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3008087

Instead of a towel or ballon I use a piece of kids sidewalk chalk, and mark a arrow pointing to my bike on the ground.  It washes off in the rain and does not add clutter to the area.  I have not experianced the grass yet....
2010-07-27 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3007781

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
lol, how did I not think of this?  Thanks!

gsmacleod - 2010-07-27 11:15 AM
JZig - 2010-07-27 2:08 PM

When I race draft legal events, I had a similar problem because my helmet was not very secure when resting on the bars.  A friend of mine showed me a trick that he had stolen from some of the ITU athletes for keeping your helmet in place:

Although it doesn't appear that secure, the bike (or rack) can take a rather large bump before the helmet is dislodged from the brake hood.

Shane
2010-07-27 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 6:17 AM

As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.

Couple of squirts from a water bottle takes care of the tops of your feet. The run through T1 with your bike takes care of the bottoms. Done.

Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.

Huh? I have yet to encounter a race where having my shoes already clipped in was prohibited.

2010-07-27 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3008087

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

tri808 - 2010-07-27 12:45 PM

In my tri last weekend, one guy across from me actually told me I needed to move my backpack that was directly under my back wheel (racked by the saddle) because he didn't want to spill water from his bucket on my things.

I hope you politely, but firmly, told him "No, thanks."

2010-07-27 11:40 PM

User image

Great pic and great thread Shane

I don't keep the shoes clipped in, so I have my bike shoes in front of the runners.  Other than that, on a small towel, small squirt bottle, and then hat/glasses and race belt placed on top of runners. 
2010-07-29 4:09 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Totally agree! I did my first tri (Oly) and while my overall time was average, my T1 time was 1:50 and T2 was 1:13...both on par with and in many cases faster than the top finishers. I learned completely from this site, and practiced fast transitions. Now I just need to race as well as I transition :-)
2010-07-29 7:04 AM

Expert
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 9:17 AM While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.  I use a pre-wetted wash cloth to remove sand/dirt.  Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

It is very practical.  I have never had a race where I really needed to wipe my feet (including running almost a 1/4 mile through sand and gravel after ocean swims).

And while it is sometimes not allowed, there are plenty of races that do allow shoes on the bike.  I personally do not do that unless the transition area is crazy long.  It is simply not that much faster at all to mount that way unless you are a pro fighting for top placing.  Just watch people in a race at the local level and you can see exactly what I mean.
2010-07-29 7:17 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
gsmacleod - 2010-07-27 5:50 AM Often at races I see athletes who bring way too much into transition and as a result are disorganized with their gear ends up spilling into other athletes' transition spots.  When setting up transition, you should ask yourself what do I really need and what can I do without.

The key to efficient transitions is to keep everything simple and minimize clutter; the picture shows my transition setup for an OD triathlon:

Here is what I have in transition:

Bike - my shoes are clipped in, helmet is on the handlebars with my sunglasses inside my helmet

Run - running shoes are sitting on top of my hat and my race belt with number is folded up inside my hat

Also, you can see that there is plenty of room for my cap, goggles and wetsuit so I don't have to wonder what to do with those after the swim leg.

Shane

same setup even same helmet....

2010-07-29 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
I try and keep it as minimal as possible.  I stack my shoes w/ bike shoes on top of running shoes and have a sham wow to stand on and do a quick 1..2. wipe (no wider than the width of my shoes either)  Helmet & Sunglasses on the bike.  My ocean race has a kiddie pool before transition so I rarely use or need the extra squirt bottle (but I do have it in my bag, just in case)  I do also have a small bowl behind my shoes to throw my earplugs in (again, no wider than my shoes)   I dont mount my bike w/ the shoes clipped in, but do dismount. 

As far as space, I wish more ppl took the minimalist approach - Last year, my transition neighbor said to me "You're on the wrong side and you need to move"  I had it set up on the right and he said I needed to be on the left cause he had no room - again, no wider than my shoe widths.  He was on the end of the row so he had both sides of his bike to use and no one on his right except for the fence.  So I move my stuff over to the left cause he was kind of a D*** about it and I had the room on that side - I just prefer my stuff on the right (like the op pic) He then proceeds to spread his towel out length wise, w/ the middle under his front wheel and one end almost touching my wheel.  He then places everything on the towel on both sides w/ no stacking or space efficiency - shoes side by side (not even one pair behind the other), talcum powder, extra sunglasses, water bottle and a box of some sort .... what?!?!?!  No wonder you thought you didnt have any room, you really need an aisle all to yourself.  I guess I shouldve known he was going to be 'that guy' because he also brought his bike trainer with him and proceeded to warm up in transition - which he just left there after he spun for a 1/2 hour with his TWO bags even though the parking lot is a short 1 minute walk away.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-07-29 12:54 PM
2010-07-29 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
That's just amazing that someone would be that arrogant.
2010-07-29 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
gsmacleod - 2010-07-27 12:50 PM

Often at races I see athletes who bring way too much into transition and as a result are disorganized with their gear ends up spilling into other athletes' transition spots.  When setting up transition, you should ask yourself what do I really need and what can I do without.

The key to efficient transitions is to keep everything simple and minimize clutter; the picture shows my transition setup for an OD triathlon:

Here is what I have in transition:

Bike - my shoes are clipped in, helmet is on the handlebars with my sunglasses inside my helmet

Run - running shoes are sitting on top of my hat and my race belt with number is folded up inside my hat

Also, you can see that there is plenty of room for my cap, goggles and wetsuit so I don't have to wonder what to do with those after the swim leg.

Shane

If I'm not mistaken Shane has also has his bikeshoes kept horizontal with an elastic..so they don't hit the ground and are easier to get in while rolling.. You just jump on your bike and step in your shoes, the elastic will break and you can can go on.
If I'm mistaken; it's still a great tip!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition - Keep it Simple Rss Feed  

of 2