General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Pi$$ Me Off On A Training Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-07-17 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: How to Pi$$ Me Off On A Training Ride
1. Ride on my butt and when I ask you nicely to get off my butt say "well, I'm not *That* close". Yes you are, 1 bike length is too close.

2. Point out things like houses, trees, barns and turtles. I can see the pretty butterflies, really I can. I also cannot talk when I am concentrating. I don't like to talk when I work out. If I had not been telling you that for over 20 years I would not be so irritated by it.

3. When I say "passing on your left", turn your head to the left and swerve out into the lane in front of me forcing me to ride into oncoming traffic. Do this three or four times every ride and when I point out to you that it's a problem say, "Well it isn't me, it's the bike". If you cannot steer then don't go out on the streets.

4. Say, "I can blow you away on the bike". Say this at least five times every ride so that I am sure to hear it.

a) I am dog slow, I average 13 - 15mph on the training rides. If you can blow me away you are not exactly Jan Ulrich here.

b) Yes, I can see that. I have eyes and everything. I can see you pass me.

c) If I am such a pathetic training partner then why are you training with me? Your constant references to my slow bike times only beat me down and I am not sure how beating me down makes you a better athlete. It's not "smack" it's mean.

5. and MOST imporantly. Yes, I did leave you the other day when you got a flat. I did it to you. You, at the time, were in street shoes and could push your bike. Today when I was out and my chain wrapped around the derailer to the point it could not be fixed on the road you did not even know I was not back there for over a mile. When you figured it out you came back, took a look at it (after I already said it could not be fixed on the raod, your insistance at looking at it made me feel like an idiot) and took off on me. I am lucky that my husband was happy to come and get me. I could not push my bike, the wheels would not turn and I cannot just take a stroll in Carbon Fiber shoes. They can crack on the pavement. The other point is you are a man and I am a woman. I don't like that my sex makes me vulnerable but it does. Alone on a mostly desserted road is not where I want to be. You could have just sat with me for a bit. I am glad my husband let you have it (for him) when he saw you. You just don't leave a woman on the side of a road somewhere.

Sigh.. I am home. My bike has a temporary fix. The bike sjop where I bought it has a two week turnaround time and I cannot miss that much training. The bike shop where I am about to buy my new bike has a three day turnaround time but will charge me and it will be longer till I get my new bike.. Decisions, decisions.

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-17 2:08 PM

2005-07-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #200297

User image

Temecula, CA
Subject: RE: How to Pi$$ Me Off On A Training Ride

Ok, can I say it....time to drop the loathsome training partner of yours.  Personally I would be better of riding alone if I were you.  I"m glad that you had a ride back, sounds like a really bad situation when your wheels won't turn, yikes!!

Take the 3 day shop for getting your bike back, much better than 2 weeks.  Run/swim/yoga, etc. during those 3 days and make up some of the bike time when you get the bike back.  Hopefully the shop won't charge you too much.  Good luck!!  Again, sorry you had a crap ass ride today.

2005-07-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: #200300

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Noreen your advice is really good and I am going to take it!
2005-07-17 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Train on your own for a while. Get your own pace, your own style, and your own routes. If you miss a partner, pick one up later. I like training by myself. After taking care of kids and husband, I prefer to be by myself. No music. Just me and my overactive brain!

Loved your post! I recognize many of those behaviors!
2005-07-17 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
The only thing is I really hate riding alone in case something happens. I am by myself out there on counrty roads and too far out to walk back. Well fat lot of good that did me.. (In my training partners defense when he asked if he could I said "FINE", but if you have known me for 20+ years you probably know what my, "FINE" means : )

I just get nervous out there. I don't know why. I have the legs to go it alone if I have to.
2005-07-17 3:55 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I keep reading about your training partner, and frankly, I don't know why you train with him, as it seems to me all the benefits are on his side not on yours.  I haven't read one word from you about him that is positive.  So... 

Maybe there's a bike club in your area?  Group rides are always a good way to go.  As a single person who is a woman and who rides alone all the time (there is no hubby to help me out if I get stuck somewhere) just be prepared.  Take pepper spray.  Take your cell phone.  If you do get stuck somewhere, plan an escape route (just in case, I've never needed it, but...)  I'm more afraid of a big dog taking me out than a person.  Oh, you can also plan routes that go where the bikers go.  If you are stuck, there will be someone who will stop and help you out (a member of the cycling brotherhood, I've found that people are really helpful for the most part.)  I'd suggest if you can't walk in your bike shoes, that you stuff a pair of sandals or something into your bike bag.

BTW, you are NOT dog slow on the bike.  You are actually medium fast (you're faster than I am, for example) but remember, you are comparing yourself to triathletes, who are REALLY fast - as compared to the general population.  13-15 mph would get you into the moderate paced group rides out here in CA, anyway.

IMO, the looking at the chain thing is a guy response.  Even if you're telling them the situation, they still want to take a look, this to me, just sounds normal - but you were probably extremely frustrated at the time.

When I've done rides with faster people - it's either agreed upon that (a) I will keep up as long as I can, then I will continue my ride on my own (b) they will wait for me at pre-determined spots, and we will not continue until I have had a couple of minutes to catch my breath (c) they will do multiples of things I will do once.  (i.e. I climb the hill once while they go up, go down (saying hi on the way down) and go up again - 2x for them, 1x for me.)  or (d) I will take an alternate (easier/shorter) route and meet up with them a few miles down the road. There are ways to ride/run happily with faster people, you (and whoever you are training with) just need to be flexible.

2005-07-17 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Yes, all of those things would make me mad also. I think your justified in being annoyed

I like riding with people or in a group. It usually pushes me harder than when I go by myself, and it improves my bike handling skills. However...my first rule of thumb is that I go with what my plan for that day is. If my plan calls for me to push hard, I try to stay with the front group. But if my plan is to do a recovery ride or slow ride, then I go my own pace and let the group do what they want. I realize that not everyone is on the same schedule as me.

If I had a riding partner that behaved the way yours did, it would be Solo-ville for me. Bicycling is supposed to be: first - fun, and second - great exercise. If my riding partner makes bicycling no fun, then Adios Amigo.

Don't worry about riding alone. Just make sure someone knows the route you are going to take. Take a cell phone and extra change, and carry an extra tube. Riding with others can be fun, but so can riding alone. Just my .02.

2005-07-17 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
This is simple honey:Drop that training partner like a bad habit. It's obvious he likes riding with you because he knows he can beat you. It's not doing you any good and it's definitely not doing him any good. Secondly, take the bike to the three-day turnaround place. IMHO both of those bike shops are suspect. My LBS fixes my bike on the spot whenever there's a problem.Thirdly, you've got to get over this fear of "being out there alone." That means you gotta ride more by yourself and with others but ride more to know that if something happens you are a) close enough to walk to a phone, even if you are on back country roads, b). can use a cell phone to call someone to come and get you. c). can fix it yourself. I'm a new rider and I had that same fear. That if something happens I'll be stranded. So I didn't ride more than 15 miles. Well that's not going to work for my 1/2IM. I need to feel comfortable riding 40, 50 miles without worrying that I can't take care of myself. Which means I took classes (note the plural) at my LBS to get as familiar with my bike as possible. I did the same with my car. It helped eliminate that helpless feeling. Because face it guys are great but they don't know anymore than you can learn. Even if they're naturally mechanical you can still learn how to take care of your bike as you can learn how to take care of your car. And as far as that serial killer lurking - yes if you have a guy with you he may forgo messing with you but hey If you had pepper spray I'd forgo messing with you. I understand that no woman wants to feel vulnerable. But face it ALL cyclists are vulnerable male or female. We ride on roads with 2-ton vehicles and all we have are little plastic hats. So hopefully if you ride more you might get over your fear of "something going wrong." Best way to assuage that fear is to have a plan at what to do when something goes wrong. Good luck.
2005-07-17 4:54 PM
in reply to: #200360

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
infosteward - 2005-07-17 5:21 PM

take the bike to the three-day turnaround place. IMHO both of those bike shops are suspect.

In a normal part of the universe you would be correct. However this is Ann Arbor, MI. Biking is very normal here. I was out in the middle of nowhere today, in the heat of the afternoon, at 2pm and I saw maybe 30 cyclists. That is a slow day too. You can't even buy a decent used bike here because when they are available they go for super high prices! It's just a popular sport in a pretty health concious town. I am the normal one, working out twice and sometimes three times a day (if you count weight training).

I feel alot better now after talking to all of you. Thank you all so much. I am not sure what to do about TP (training partner but TP works). I have known him a long time (24+ years), actually used to date him, years ago. He can be motivational. Somedays tho I just feel deflated after working out with him when I feel so good when I don't.

I am joining the local tri group this week and hope to find some people there who are my speed.
2005-07-17 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
OK, that does it. Young lady you are to immediately move here and ride with me
2005-07-17 5:33 PM
in reply to: #200349

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
nliedel - 2005-07-17 1:35 PM

The only thing is I really hate riding alone in case something happens. I am by myself out there on counrty roads and too far out to walk back. Well fat lot of good that did me.. (In my training partners defense when he asked if he could I said "FINE", but if you have known me for 20+ years you probably know what my, "FINE" means : )

I just get nervous out there. I don't know why. I have the legs to go it alone if I have to.

Carry a cell phone (which it sounds like you already do) and a small can of pepper spray and feel more confident!

2005-07-17 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I would be super pi$$ed off at not only his comments but his lack of support when you had a problem. You have accomplished so much to transform you. I think you can tranform your feelings about riding by yourself. I used to be nervous riding by myself but no more. I always bring my cell phone and make sure I can reach someone. I am more nervous when I ride and my husband isn't home...but I know lots of people around who I could all...then I stay closer to home.  If you are riding where you see 30 others during a typical ride, don't you think one would stop and offer help if you had trouble...I think most other cyclists would. When I had a flat on busy road we had a biker stop and a car stop to offer assistance. I realize you are riding on more country roads.

When I ride with friends I try to establish some rules on how we are going to ride. The women I ride with, don't pace well with me so I ride and keep looking back for them and then every 10-15 minutes I'll stop and wait for them. I'd love to find a friend to ride that we are compatible in abilities but that hasn't happened yet. Most men ride faster than me and most women I know ride slower.

What about that awesome bike shop in Michigan that has the great website (michiganbikes.com?) ...it may not be close to you but may have more selection of bikes. My LBS where I bought my bike...if I bring it in when I have a problem and they fix it while I wait. Another bike shop that sponsors our Tri team does repairs while I wait as well. Once you buy your new bike that bike shop should help you when you have a repair that makes your bike unrideable quickly too. This is one consideration you should make when deciding which bike shop to buy from.

2005-07-17 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah it was one of the reasons I chose this shop. I spent 1/2 an hour + in there (Aberdeen in Chelsea) talking to Mike yesterday and I felt like he was completley focused on what I needed. He asked good questions and talked me out of some stuff "I HAD TO HAVE", which was what I needed, a voice of reason. He also discovered that I have the wrong pedals and cleats for carbon fiber shoes. I checked into it and he is correct. He is going to put a shim under my cleat to get me through the season which is what I needed.

I am 100% happy with them thus far. The other place, where I bought the bike are good but not as good as this place. (well the other place had a sales guy try to sell me a $3000.00 bike and I totally don't need that).
2005-07-17 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Sweetie ditch the training partner...until of course you are a fantastic cyclist and can blow him away   Get the bike fixed in 3 days and work on your run and swim.  Carry a cell phone and learn to change a tire when they fix your bike.  I ride by myself about 99% of the time.  I won't ride in the dark tho and most of the time I ride in my neighborhood with my cell phone and do a little loop a bunch of times. ( I have other reasons for doing this...mainly my goofy job and the fact that I need to be available and reacheable but anyway)  Its boring and tedious and I can't go real fast, but I am never more than 2 miles from my house, and although Florida drivers are in general horrible and don't use directional signals (esp if they are trying to find a *&^%$ yardsale) it is usually safer than being on the road where people are driving 50MPH. 

Also check out some trails that might be in your area that are closed to motorized traffic....Tell someone where you are going, that you have you cell phone and when to start getting worried about you.  I am single so no one is going to miss me if I don't come home....that is why I use that method...but it will probab;y make you feel better.  Hope this helps.....-SMO

2005-07-17 6:47 PM
in reply to: #200419

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Yeah it was one of the reasons I chose this shop. I spent 1/2 an hour + in there (Aberdeen in Chelsea) talking to Mike yesterday and I felt like he was completley focused on what I needed. He asked good questions and talked me out of some stuff "I HAD TO HAVE", which was what I needed, a voice of reason. He also discovered that I have the wrong pedals and cleats for carbon fiber shoes. I checked into it and he is correct. He is going to put a shim under my cleat to get me through the season which is what I needed. I am 100% happy with them thus far. 

Stay with the guys who take care of you. Period.  Even if they are going to take a little longer to get your bike ready to go, they will do it right, and just because the other place will do it faster, does not mean they can do it better.

2005-07-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: #200446

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
cadreamer,

I think the guys who will take care of me are the new place with the three day turnaround but I did not make that very clear.

I am going to give the new guys a call tomorrow. I called the place I got the bike from and right now it is closer to three weeks. By then I will have my new bike (from the new shop, they have it in stock and are going to let me use it for their 20 mile ride from the store this Thursday night).

2005-07-17 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
nliedel - 2005-07-17 2:35 PM

That guy sounds like a jerk. I would not ride with him anymore. Although I don't think you should have told him "fine" if you didn't mean it (after all he is not a mind reader and expecting him to know what you are thinking is unreasonable), he should have used common sense. I wouldn't have left you (or anyone) no matter what-unless it was to get help.

I understand your concern when alone on country roads, but the odds of anything of a criminal nature happening are astronomically small. Much more likely you would be killed by a car than that anyone would attack you. Maybe bring some mace? I make my GF bring mace whenever she is alone somewhere like that and I can't go with her. It makes me feel better even given the odds.

Sounds like you and this guy are mismatched and you would do better to train with someone who is a bit mellower and has less of an attitude. I didn't pick up who he was-hopefully not family.

Just my two cents!
2005-07-17 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Partner-a person who takes part in an undertaking with another. . .  You don't have a partner, you have a loser.  Dump him.  Hope he isn't family and you will have to deal with him at reunions or something

2005-07-17 10:25 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I just wanted to throw one more "drop that a$$wipe training partner of yours" into the fray.  MY question is, if he's jerk enough to behave that way toward you, WHY are you still hanging around him after 24+ years of that??? Just a thought I had.

Ditto what everyone else has said regarding cell phones, pepper spray, mace, etc.  Although I think your best bet is your local tri club or bike club.  You aren't as slow as you think you are and I think you will find some really GREAT people to ride with .  I don't know that pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone as far as riding alone will be necessary when that happens.  Good luck!

2005-07-17 10:59 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
You definately should ride on your own. You don't seem to be compatible.

1. Ride on my butt and when I ask you nicely to get off my butt say "well, I'm not *That* close". Yes you are, 1 bike length is too close.

I remember my first group ride. I could see everyone's ear wax. That was one of the few days I have ever ridden a "perfectly straight line". What is your desire for the training ride? What do you think it should go like?

2. Point out things like houses, trees, barns and turtles. I can see the pretty butterflies, really I can. I also cannot talk when I am concentrating. I don't like to talk when I work out. If I had not been telling you that for over 20 years I would not be so irritated by it.

Have you ever ridden alone for 3 hours? You might really like it, you might also crave some conversation. Is the conversation really that annoying? Are you really concentrating *that* hard for hours? If the answer is "YES!", then you should ride alone. I do ... and I love it.

3. When I say "passing on your left", turn your head to the left and swerve out into the lane in front of me forcing me to ride into oncoming traffic. Do this three or four times every ride and when I point out to you that it's a problem say, "Well it isn't me, it's the bike". If you cannot steer then don't go out on the streets.

Or buy a hands-free hydrating system. I have a hard time using the bottles without slowing down ... so I don't use the bottles. Stupid things only hold about an hour's worth of drink anyway.

4. Say, "I can blow you away on the bike". Say this at least five times every ride so that I am sure to hear it.

nleidel ... I can blow you away on the bike. Your response should be *middle finger extended* "Can you blow this away?" =)

c) If I am such a pathetic training partner then why are you training with me? Your constant references to my slow bike times only beat me down and I am not sure how beating me down makes you a better athlete. It's not "smack" it's mean.

It seems there is something more going on here. I have always trained (baseball, weight-lifting, etc) with people better than me ... it makes me better. But, gettin' beat down (verbally) isn't part of it. Again, seems like something more is going on here.

You left them when they had a flat, they left you when your chain got "junked"

I'm not getting involved in this one.

The only thing is I really hate riding alone in case something happens.

Cell Phone? I put mine in my Camelbak. There is always some risk involved in riding. It's why some folks never leave the trainer.

-----------------------------

Edited by TripleThreat 2005-07-17 11:09 PM
2005-07-17 11:14 PM
in reply to: #200351

Expert
NC Illinois
you are comparing yourself to triathletes, who are REALLY fast - as compared to the general population.

Why would a triathlete compare themselves to the general population? I have never understood this line of thought.

Does anyone really consider "Well, you're faster than someone that does not regularly ride (gen pop) a bike" as a compliment or even logical? Isn't it more patronizing than uplifting?

I am not directing this personally, but generally, as I repeatedly see the same type of comments all the time, "DFL is better than a DNS", etc, etc. I am not saying that these comments are not true (they are true) and this is a site directed towards us newbies. But at some point (namely after you decide to try ... or tri), your focus has to move away from the comparisons to those that don't try (or tri) and move toward comparisons of yourself v. yourself and/or yourself v. peers. We should be encouraging folks to attain more than the "general population". They will make more progress that way. =)

It is okay to be "not good" at something. It can (and often does) serve as motivation to become "better". Hopefully this post does not read in a negative tone, it is not written in one.

2005-07-18 1:48 AM
in reply to: #200627

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Why would a triathlete compare themselves to the general population? I have never understood this line of thought. Does anyone really consider "Well, you're faster than someone that does not regularly ride (gen pop) a bike" as a compliment or even logical? Isn't it more patronizing than uplifting? I am not directing this personally, but generally

Okay, I'm hijacking here...

I do.  Cause I know that I'm not fast.  So, if I can go on a bike ride with someone and ride away from them, I feel good, cause I can really see that all this training HAS made a difference.  When hanging around with people who do IM's in under 12 hours or Oly's in under 2.5 hours (and these are really nice people, BTW), I feel like my accomplishments aren't really worth a whole lot.  They are a LOT for me, but in comparison to a lot of triathletes, let's just say they are not so great.   So, patronizing to you maybe, but not to me.  It's a perspective thing I think.

Anyway, I believe you took my comment completely out of context.

I was not saying that someone should not try to get faster, do better, etc.  Just that she is not as slow as she thinks she is (i.e. there are probably group rides in her area that would fit her current speed.)  Was not talking about "general population" as in, "general population who have not ridden a bike for umpteen years", but "general population" as in "the general population of people who ride bikes."   I ride about 11-12 mph avg right now, and I can ride with the slow group on group rides.  So, since she is faster than I am, I would think there would be a tri-group or a cycle club group ride pace that she could ride with and that would be her pace. 

"DFL is better than a DNS", etc, etc. I am not saying that these comments are not true (they are true) and this is a site directed towards us newbies. But at some point (namely after you decide to try ... or tri), your focus has to move away from the comparisons to those that don't try (or tri) and move toward comparisons of yourself v. yourself and/or yourself v. peers. We should be encouraging folks to attain more than the "general population". They will make more progress that way. =) It is okay to be "not good" at something. It can (and often does) serve as motivation to become "better". Hopefully this post does not read in a negative tone, it is not written in one.

Maybe DFL is your best.  Maybe that is flat out as fast as you can go.  And, it's not that you're not competitive, it's just that there's really no one as slow as you are to compete with.  I'll tell you that I'm out there racing, even if to you (or anyone else) it looks like I'm having a walk in the park.  My goal in triathlons right now is to do an Oly tri and NOT be DFL.  I can do it in a sprint, but not so far Olympic.  Yeah, I know I'm slow.  Yeah, I know why I'm slow too.  I know what I need to do to improve, but it sure is taking longer to get there than I thought it would.

You know what?  I AM doing more than the "general population" (general population here meaning those who do not compete in athletic events) even finishing DFL - and right now, I feel good about that, since I haven't been able to get moving fast enough to come in before another competitor.  I think goals are very individual things, based on what you can accomplish.  If I set my goal as "finish" and you set yours at "finish 1st in AG," there's nothing in there that says that my EFFORT is not equal to (or even higher) than yours, even though my SPEED is slower.  This is an assumption on your part.  Usually made by people who are naturally fast, and then can get faster, and have no concept of the person who really struggles for any increase in speed at all, and was not speedy to begin with.

This just hits a hot button for me... stupid threads I've read (on other boards admittedly, not this one) "why would anyone do a tri if they know they are slow" ... "why do people do it just to finish" etc. etc. 

This is why I like it here, cause everyone seems to accept and cheer on everybody else, no matter what their goals are.  I hope that doesn't start changing.

2005-07-18 4:47 AM
in reply to: #200654

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
cadreamer - 2005-07-18 2:48 AM

Okay, I'm hijacking here...

>

Oh please. As many times as I have hijacked threads? Go ahead!
2005-07-18 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
What I own:
So I was thinking about this thread while I was out running this morning. That's right I was thinking about this instead of Particle Physics and building a better world through Nuclear Decay. Anyway, I am going to take what I own. If someone wants to talk on a training ride/run whatever, then that's OK. I just cannot answer when I am working hard.

I should not have taken off on him the other day and I should not have said "Fine" when he told me he was taking off. Sex aside.

Why do I hang out with him after so many years? Well he is not always that way and at least I don't date him anymore. I have several annoying friends. *I* am an annoying friend. I went from being a happy homemaker to a triathlete and guess what my conversations are all about these days? My poor husband!

What I don't own.

As for riding up on my hind end with his wheels touching mine every now and then (no I did not mention that yesterday). It is dangerous. In a group ride the bike should not turn when the riders head turns. I am a triathlete and I race on none drafting courses. He is training to be a triathlete and race on none draft courses. While his training is his own and I do not own it and by drafting me he is just more or less being annoying he is cheating himself. He is not learning the proper length to avoid a draft penalty and further is taking an individual sport and changing it. If he wants to draft I guess that would be fine if he was willing to share the load and let me draft too but even if I wanted to his bike/head turn combonation would make it unsafe.

I have a morning running partner. She is pretty quiet, although her love of the sport shines in every step. She is faster than me and can blow by me pretty quickly. She smiles a lot but there is no conversation, it is companionable and peaceful. When we run together it is an individual effort done in a group enviroment. She runs for her reasons and I mine. We do not chatter but each dig into our own efforts. Yes, she is a dog, but there is great comfort in our hard work and silence. We watch one another. If she lags I change my pace and she does the same for me. We race up hills and sometimes I win but mostly she does. She is a better athlete than I will ever be.

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-18 6:17 AM
2005-07-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: #200627

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Cadreamer, I think there is some truth to what you are saying...for some of us who are NOT athletically inclined by genetics, upbringing or both, just being out there, finishing, NOT being DFL, is HUGE.  If you include yourself in that group (as I do) you DESERVE to pat yourself on the back for just being there. Your effort level probably DOES match or exceed that of a lot of other, more naturally talented people, because we have to work harder just to be on the playing field at all.    I don't think TripleThreat was trying to insinuate otherwise..

TripleThreat - 2005-07-17 11:14 PM [at some point (namely after you decide to try ... or tri), your focus has to move away from the comparisons to those that don't try (or tri) and move toward comparisons of yourself v. yourself and/or yourself v. peers.

I really think the comparisons of "self vs. self" apply to us who are not genetically gifted.  I don't care if I can't catch a woman in my AG who has legs a foot longer than mine, who has naturally long (not bulky) muscles and who easily maintains a bodyfat below 17%.  But I DO care if I can't reach a realistic time goal on the bike, can't beat my own time from last year, etc etc. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Pi$$ Me Off On A Training Ride Rss Feed  

of 2