Overall Rank = 280/419
Age Group = F76-85
Age Group Rank = 17/30
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I have no idea how far I ran or biked - I think they measured from point to point (ie on the satellite image maybe?) but didn't account for the inclines? The course map says 5.7 miles, but it must have been longer. Anyway, it was the hardest race I've ever done. It pretty much went like this:

Leg 1: My partner started off on the bike and then the runners go 1.5 mins after they start. The route seems fine to start with, a nice trail run. Quickly we start to head up the "mountain" (this was at a ski hill) and the trail has spots with deep sand, ruts, etc. After more than a mile, I am sure (based on time) we reach the first obstacle. We have to climb a very short rock wall and after we go over the top we climb down a rope ladder. Pretty easy, actually!

Leg 2: After my obstacle I have to find our bike. It actually takes me a minute because I am not used to the bike and wished for some crazy decoration to make it stand out. Then I start biking. I've never rode this before before today and have no experience on a mountain bike or trail riding. At first it's fun, but then it gets narrow, there are little spots of deep sand, bumps, etc. I have to get off the bike several times, but overall it's not terrible. My partner is waiting for me at the next obstacle, so I hand her the bike. This time I do a "low crawl" under a net.

Leg 3: I start running and think I've hit the jackpot! It's mostly downhill, shaded - sweet. Some inclines do eventually show up and it's getting sunnier so when we hit the open area it's hot. What we did here was essentially run down an "easy" ski slope and around the base a little. Next obstacle is a balance beam - my only skill! I make quick work and find the bike.

Leg 4: I'm on the bike for approximately 30 seconds. I then push the bike across and up the friggin mountain AGAIN. Fortunately it's not a long hill (of course I hate this when I am skiing) and I get to ride across the top of the mountain on PAVEMENT! Yahoo. The thrill ends quickly when I have to ride straight down a hill which I think is a black diamond run in the winter. I eventually have to get off because my hands are too sweaty to grip the brakes and frankly the brakes just aren't cutting it. Not familiar with the bike and my abilities, and the slippery grass, I feared crashing. Sadly I see folks heading back up this hill, on leg 5... I make it to the next obstacle and Monica is waiting for me again. Poor girl. I pass off the bike and climb a rope ladder to go down an inflatable slide. I am sure that picture will be great :)

Leg 5: Very glad to be rid of the bike, I walk up the mountain again... This part was really rough and those pushing bikes were really hurting. Would have liked a water spot here. We finally get to a flat part where we cross over a few slopes and finally reach the finish. Monica meets me at the mud pits and we proceed through the muck under the ropes. I don't realize that she is staying on her toes - lesson learned! I was on my knees and it was painful and slow. Each movement my body got heavier and heavier. Finally made it out of that sucker and through the finish. They handed out Cytomax and it was nasty, but I was thirsty so drank it. I was covered in mud, there was even some in my helmet.

We got our composure and found the "showers", which were a million hoses attached to a giant spigot. They were twisted and stepped on, so it was very slow going. I honestly would guess at least 15 mins of rinsing and re-rinsing to get through it all. Then we headed back to the car to get changed, have our beer, and head out.

All in all it was quite an experience. I am not sure I'd try it again without some mountain bike practice. It was very grueling. But I am happy with what I accomplished and just glad I wasn't last!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Post race

Last updated: 2010-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/419
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 03 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/419
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-22 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Muddy Buddy

2010-08-22 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3057344

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Muddy Buddy
I did not picture you as the Muddy Buddy type. I am very impressed. 
2010-08-22 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3057516

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Do I know you?  I am, in fact, very fun and willing to get muddy

Karibu - 2010-08-22 4:28 PM I did not picture you as the Muddy Buddy type. I am very impressed. 

2010-08-23 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Congrats on a good race!  One of the local running clubs is doing a similar race here next month, although we don't have ski mountains so I don't think it would be as tough.  Sounds like you did pretty well.
2010-08-23 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds difficult but so fun!!! Great job on finishing!

2010-08-23 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
nice work, I really want to do this, maybe next year, mtn biking its the best but I can see where it would be scary with little expierence...

where are the pictures?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy Rss Feed