Disney's Wide World of Sports
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 25s
Overall Rank = 70/12358
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/751
Pre-race routine:

Kim and I signed up for this race in order to give our friend an entry and stay at Disneyland. This was going to be his first race he really wanted the Disney medal but we said he had to run it to get it. So he jumped on a plan for the last six months he stayed excited and was very consistent in training. A few months ago I decided that it was time to try for a PR for motivation. I've noticed my speed workouts slowing down and my scale announcing I'm a few pounds away from clydesdale.
Event warmup:

We set the alarm for 3:00 AM. It may have been a bit early but I'm used to it by now. I ate a half of a bagel and banana and wandered around the suite chatting with Kim and our friend. Kim decided she was going to pace him and go back to his corral. I wasn't going back to their corral so I said my goodbyes and went down. Since it was early enough I went for a short run to warm up a bit. After the run I wandered down to the corrals. By this time it was about 5:00 AM. I found a curb and rested. It was fun to watch the pre-race announcements from the front row.
Run
  • 1h 28m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Mickey and Minnie came out and got us started. By this time I was completed cooled off and had about an hour to keep fighting off my self doubt. The gun went off and I hoped for the best. The weather was nice and cool but it was dark at the start. I promised myself not to look at my watch for the first mile until I found my rhythm. I knew I would be a little fast but not too bad. After the first mile we turn into California Adventure. Now the fun begins! We run around the Paradise Pier where the World of Color water show is played. I wasn't doing too much sight seeing at the time but have spent many hours enjoying the area. I waved to our room as I passed the Grand Californian Hotel. I said hi to my mom and brother in between there and the entrance of Disneyland. We headed down Main Street and turned into Frontierland. This is a change from previous years but that's ok. We looped around Big Thunder Railroad towards King Arthur's Carousel. This was the 5K split and I saw it roll to 20 minutes! Faster than expected and I hoped I wouldn't pay for it later. Now it was time for the castle; we were greeted by Cruella. Still feeling good as I see Space Mountain as we go to the left of the Matterhorn. Coming up towards Small World and then to the back lot. I'm starting to feel like the race is about to begin because I know Anaheim is ahead and we are leaving Disney. Now there is nothing left to do but focus on pace. Every 30 seconds or so I check pace and try to keep it under 6:50. I carried a water bottle so I could hydrate and cool myself when I wanted to. It worked out well. I also ate two shot blocks. I thanked as many volunteers as I could and was just looking forward to the stadiums. As we reach the Honda Center I was looking forward to the Duck's cheerleaders since I saw them the last time but they weren't there. I think that cost me 10 seconds of disappointment. Now off to Angel Stadium. How cool to run the outfield and see people in the seats cheering. I wave to the camera man and see myself on the jumbotron. It's not a pretty sight but it does encourage me since there is only 5k left. I chat with a fellow runner about how great the weather is since the sun still hasn't come out. We leap frog for the next mile and now I start speeding up to give the course whatever I have left. I toss my water bottle knowing that I made my goal and enjoy the final stretch. I high five Donald Duck and cross the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my family and wondered around a little. I was still out of it a bit when Tom (Fitzy) stopped me and said hi. I was starting to get cold so we walked to Downtown Disney for Beignets. Oh yummy! I took a shower and went back to see Kim and Ashley cross the finish line.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:25 | 13.1 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/751
Overall: 70/12358
Performance: Good
5k 20:00 10K 41:14 (PR!) 15K 1:02:30 I didn't watch my HR since there was nothing I could do about it. I was hoping that I could maintain 170. As it turns out I managed a 172 bpm +/- 2 bpm. 170-174 is my Zone 4.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-09 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Subject: Disneyland Half Marathon

2010-09-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3090637

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Disneyland Half Marathon
wow - - you took in more of the sights than me!  Great job psyching yourself up for the PR and getting to the front of the corral! Awesome job going sub 1:30 - - you're pacing me next year!
2010-09-10 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

You totally crushed this race, Dean - great job!!!  I loved the play by play in the race report.  I don't think I have ever read one that included the sentence 'I high five Donald Duck and cross the finish line' - priceless!!

2010-09-10 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

You make it sound like you didn't even have to work hard for the PR! Way to go, sounds like an awesome race!

2010-09-10 12:27 PM

User image

New user

Glendale

Best race report ever, very sorry about the cheerleaders absence, I'll give you that 10 seconds faster on your PR.  Nice job and very impressive speed!

2010-09-10 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Great RR. You made this sound easy giving high fives to people, thanking volunteers..... smiling. I would never do this during a race   J/K.  Nice work.

2010-09-10 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats...great job!  My wife raced this year (I skipped it this time due to tris the week before and after), but I went out before the start and ran the course as a training run out-and-back miles 4 to 10...got a good view of the pack running the course backwards.  Given where you placed, I'm sure I saw you along the way. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disneyland Half Marathon Rss Feed