Sunset Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 55s
Overall Rank = 118/196
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate cereal, got dressed, all done! Before leaving my bike at transition overnight, I noticed that my seat was WAY back. I was wondering why I felt like I was always slipping forward when I was riding. I decided to fix it before the swim. Turned out that one of the screws got a little loose, so my seat was probably slowly slipping back during training, so I didn't notice it much. Thank goodness I did because I was SO comfortable on the bike.
Event warmup:

Got to the beach, and was the first one there. It was SO odd being the only one for a while. Finally people started to arrive. Stretched a little.
Swim
  • 25m 57s
  • 805 meters
  • 03m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

66 degrees cold air with 78 degree water. BRR... Don't be shocked with the very "slow" swim times. It includes the 1/4 run to T1. That's idiotic, really. Put the damn timing mat on the beach or before the long trip to T1. My watch says I did 21 min swim. It really feels longish to me. I don't know WHO to believe. My watch says I did something around 900m. Website says .5 mi., map says .46 mi. Whatever!

Mass swim start - first time. Not so bad actually...

Got out and swam. I'm proud because I swam pretty much the entire distance. Unlike IronGirl. Rounded the buoys very closely. Got slightly off course a little bit. Goggles fogged up a few times, I just quickly dipped it in water. Tried to spit in it, apparently my "defogging spit" doesn't work. My ankles got grabbed and I nearly got pulled under. She did it again, and I just kicked hard. Didn't feel her after that. Nearly swam over a guy from the wave ahead of me, I wasn't paying attention. His legs were pretty much downward, then he decided to kick, and I got kicked in the chest hard. Yowch. I just kept on swimming and stayed to the side and no one was in front of me for the rest of the swim. Swallowed some lake water as I was swimming. I didn't turn my head all the way, and waves was coming in and swallowed the water, not once, but several times. Yuck.
What would you do differently?:

Find your damn defogger and use it. Spit does crap! :-) Nothing I could have changed. Felt like I did a really good job just swimming the entire time. Despite the lack of OWS experience, I say this is pretty good. Don't drink the water?!
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I'm actually surprised how fast I did. I did better than the majority of overall people. I wished I knew where I'm placed there. :-) Ran up, and first order of business was to get a swig of emergency water and spit it out. I sat down for this though because I knew that after the swim and running I wouldn't get my bearings, so I just sat down instead. Ran out with my bike, got clipped in and off I go.

Nothing!
Bike
  • 1h 07m 3s
  • 16.22 miles
  • 14.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew there was some pretty good climbs, and MUCH more hillier than IronGirl! I took it easy the first 5 miles, but pushed it just a bit slightly knowing that there's a few nice descents ahead. Pushed it HARD on the descents. Then I was faced with a nice climb. Did better than I expected and didn't feel like I was wearing out like I normally do on hills. Got to the top and pushed it hard on a HUGE descent (and knowing that I have to climb that damn hill back (6% grade). Hit my max speed of 39.7 - fastest ever. At some points, I actually got a little scared for going that fast! Made a left turn into a road for the turnabout. I think I could have pushed it a little bit more here. Hit the turnabout - VERY sharp U turn (only 20 feet or so clearance!). I clipped out, and got my bearings and started again. I lost very little time here (10 seconds here at most). I hate doing very hard/sharp turns. Went on, and then faced with the massive climb. Took it easy. I was pretty much by myself for a while. A few speedy people passed by (none were in my AG), passed two women on my AG (and one of them surpassed me on the run. Dang!). As soon as we reached the peak, I again, pushed it as hard as I could on the descents. Took it a little easy the last mile to prepare for the run.

Had stomach issues from the get-go, most likely to the lake water. I just felt so queasy for the rest of time. Sipped on electrolytes, but nearly not enough. Forced myself to eat a gel about 3 miles in. Then ate my second gel (half of a packet or so) about 1 mile before the run. I felt okay, but the ickiness just stuck by me for hours, even after the tri.

Do better on the ascents. Those hills intervals seemed to have worked. I'm happy! Hydrate a little better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Unbuckled my helmet while running my bike to T2. Unvelcroed (is that even a word?!) both of my shoes at the same time...I practiced with this, so that actually helped! Took a drink of water of my emergency water. Grabbed my race belt and ran the wrong way for just 3 seconds, then ran the other way.

Go the right way? Other than that - I beat my previous time of 2:14. YEAH baby!

28/196 - I'll say that's pretty damn good. :-) (many had chips that did not "register" so I didn't count those).
Run
  • 37m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it easy the first 5 minutes. Saw Roy snapping some pictures. I looked miserable! I shouted to him that I swallowed a little lake water so I feel icky. I walked for about 3 minutes, then ran a little, walked, ran. It was the same rocky terrain as IronGirl. Reached the turnabout, got some HEED, drank both cups. Ran when I could. Saw the girl from my AG that I passed on the bike, and she passed me. It was just right before getting the HEED, so I felt a little depleted to chase her. I still beat her on the bike...so who cares. :-P When I got to asphalt, I was able to run a little better. Saw a young 16 year old guy going out TOO fast. He stopped a few times because his calves just cramped up. A guy ran with me for a while, and that helped a lot. Saw him afterwards (I had to walk, so he was just slightly ahead), and I thanked him for pulling me for a while. About 1 mile before the finish, a guy was walking, and I did "pay it forward" thing to this guy, and encouraged him to run with me. He and I ran together for the last mile. He slowed down a bit and I kept going a bit, then saw a woman in my AG pass me, then I just sprinted ahead of her (about 1/8th mile before finish), and I beat her. I felt bad, but after a not-so-great run, I wanted to at least pass someone in my AG for overall time. Headed to the finish line, screwed up on the "heel click" photo. I think I was just feeling so icky that it probably gonna come out looking like crap! LOL! Got my medal, banana and cookies.

Do more trail runs. Weather now has cooled down some, so I can do more hilly runs in the mornings.

Push it a little bit harder, I may held back a little.

Didn't do so good sticking to my plan, but did better than I expected as lately I've been feeling really "off" when I do a brick run. I didn't feel "off" today. While I had the goal of 35 min, I did better than IronGirl Run (Same rocky terrain!) by 2:20.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched very little. Got my bike, and got home. Totally forgot to take some recovery drink. Didn't seem to affect me at all without it. Ate a meal, but I was feeling icky. Took a bath, drank some pepto bismol, felt loads better. Sunday - only little soreness in my quads. Nothing as bad as it was for IronGirl (calves cramped up for 3 days).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more hill intervals for both the bike and the run. Pumpkinman is hilly. No flats, so need to ramp up hilly stuff. I got 7 weeks to work on this.

Event comments:

Disappointed that there was no anthem sung...after all it was 9/11! A little mess up with the wave start. NO ONE WAS MANNING THE TRANSITION AREA! WTH?! Seriously, ANYONE could just walk in there and snatch some good gear..not bikes, but more of Garmins, shoes, etc. The Olympics were STILL on the course for both the bike and the run...Serious disappointment. While I don't have any high end stuff (except for my CI, it's more expensive than a high priced bike!), I would still have wanted someone at Transition gate to check that the bib number matches the bike number like it did for IronGirl. Sunset racing does racing in a few states, and you would think that they would do better than this. Oh yeah - About 150 people got medals with ribbons. The others only got the medal part, no ribbon. That includes everyone on the Olympic. That sucked.

Last updated: 2010-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:57 | 805 meters | 03m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:03 | 16.22 miles | 14.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/16
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Massive climbs out to Lake Las Vegas Pwky, to Lakeshore drive, to a road for about a mile turnabout and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:09 | 03.11 miles | 11m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/16
Performance: Below average
Course: Hill run to rocky terrain, back down, some rollers to finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon

2010-09-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3093555

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon
awesome race and rr!  don't think twice about passing that chick in your a/g.  after all, it's a race.  and how could you forget to drink the recovery beer!?!
2010-09-12 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

For feeling icky I wold say that MOP for your age group is darn good. It's nice when you have enough left in the tank to put down the hammer and catch someone who passed you.

2010-09-12 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
great job, and I loved the rr!  LOVE passing people.....that's why they call it a race!!! Cool
2010-09-12 8:48 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Great job DJ....passing people is part of the job description. nice!!
2010-09-13 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Good job on that mass start. Those can be tricky.  A little tip that helps me when I swallow too much water on the swim is to have a piece of bagel available in T1.  I'll pop that in my mouth as I head out on the bike and it seems to soak up some of the icky feeling.

And don't feel bad about running the wrong way out of T2, I do it all the time! My friend caught it on video during my first HIM and posted it on YouTube!!

Great job sprinting towards the end.  That is awesome!!!!

2010-09-13 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
GREAT solid race Deanna... and you've improved so much... 

strange they didn't have anyone in Transition, and the medals didn't have ribbons? WTF?  Last year this was my first tri and I was a bit disappointed that I didn't do it again this year...

Not only did they not have someone at transition, but I heard they didn't have anyone at the turn-arounds and that there was cheating going on... I don't understand people who do a race and cheat, they just cheat themselves.

to see how I compared in T1, T2, etc... I just grab the results data and put it in excel, then I can sort each column... I'm a numbers geek  

Congrats on your race! 
2010-09-13 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nice Race DJ........  You are getting stronger and faster with each race!

2010-09-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3095053

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great Race DJ!   Congrats.

Now go get ready for your Olympic!
2010-09-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3094961

User image

Master
Sin City
Cardholic - 2010-09-13 7:00 AM GREAT solid race Deanna... and you've improved so much... 

strange they didn't have anyone in Transition, and the medals didn't have ribbons? WTF?  Last year this was my first tri and I was a bit disappointed that I didn't do it again this year...

Not only did they not have someone at transition, but I heard they didn't have anyone at the turn-arounds and that there was cheating going on... I don't understand people who do a race and cheat, they just cheat themselves.

to see how I compared in T1, T2, etc... I just grab the results data and put it in excel, then I can sort each column... I'm a numbers geek  

Congrats on your race! 

Thanks Diane!!
Yeah, they didn't really have anyone at the turnarounds at all, only police officers (and what do they really know about Tri's?). Not even the run turnarounds (only teenagers passing out water/Heed). I was actually thinking about just skipping the aid station, but then I remembered that in IronGirl they had timing mats to avoid cheating. ;-) So I wasn't sure if this one had it...and I feel better that way because I didn't cheat. :-)

I know ONE person from Olympic Team, who only did the bike that went down Sprint's turnaround. I doubt it's humanely possible for someone to average 34mph. *winks* Check out the results.

The swim mat placement just really sucked...seriously?? That's just so dumb. I don't think I'll do this race again.
2010-09-13 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3095107

User image

Master
Sin City
dalessit - 2010-09-13 8:01 AM Great Race DJ!   Congrats.

Now go get ready for your Olympic!

You mean my next Sprint in two weeks? *winks*

2010-09-13 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Awesome job DJ!!!  Way to stick through the tummy troubles and finish with a strong sprint at the end!

Congrats.
2010-09-13 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race, DJ!  Kudos for gutting it out through the queasiness for a large portion of the race.
2010-09-13 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Great job, DJ!  And I loved your RR.  

Don't ever feel bad about passing people, it's a race, for goodness sakes, and she tried to put the hammer down on you and couldn't hold on.  Too bad!  (that's the evil me talking!  Innocent)

2:20 is a good improvement on your Irongirl run!  Way to go. 
2010-09-13 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3094910

User image

Master
Sin City
tahrens - 2010-09-13 6:41 AM Good job on that mass start. Those can be tricky.  A little tip that helps me when I swallow too much water on the swim is to have a piece of bagel available in T1.  I'll pop that in my mouth as I head out on the bike and it seems to soak up some of the icky feeling.

And don't feel bad about running the wrong way out of T2, I do it all the time! My friend caught it on video during my first HIM and posted it on YouTube!!

Great job sprinting towards the end.  That is awesome!!!!

Luckily, my bike was dead in the middle between Bike IN/Run Out , when I started to run the other way clutching my race belt, the volunteer at Bike Out/In redirected me. Only lost about 3 seconds here! :-) Unfortunately no one was there by the time I got back to clean up my TA.

Bagel idea - VERY good idea...totally didn't think of it. Will do that next time. I didn't have any issues during IronGirl...because I mainly was doing breaststrokes. LOL! 
2010-09-13 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3096460

User image

Master
Congratulations, DJ!! And no apologies for passing people -- that's why they're there!! The purpose of the end of a run is to pick off as many people as you can, and hold off everyone!!!!!!! Holy smokin' T2, too, btw! I bet it's awhile before you beat that one! Bummer your tummy was not cooperating but way to tough it out and not give in to the queasies. Congratulations on an awesome race!!

2010-09-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3096543

User image

Great job, DJ! Drinking some lake water can definitely make for an uncomfortable run. Awesome that you were able to improve your time anyway!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Rss Feed